Disney Hiring Process

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
Does Disney traditionally hire full time professional people that haven't worked inside of their walls? Ive been applying for a couple of years without any luck. I have a bachelors and a masters degree, I wonder if thats too much?!

Thanks for any input!

JessicaB

Unfortunatly I don't have an answer for you. Though hearing about your two years of apps. is very discouraging for me. I've got over 15 years of experience but until Dec. I lack the degree. One of my main reasons for going back to school was to up my chances for a job at Disney. DS and I really want to move to FL we're starting to hate snow.:ROFLOL:

Pioneer Hall

Been through a ton of meetings with people there and it is very difficult if you aren't part of the company. They keep a lot of positions available to people on the inside...anything listed on the careers site is open to the public though so those are the jobs that you are able to be considered for.

niteobsrvr

I think Disney prefers people that have worked their way through the ranks. Although, I have seen managers come in from outside in the lower level positions. They don't tend to last long though because of a lack of understanding of the culture, in my opinion.

The publicly available positons listed ont he disney careers site tend to be jobs where the the necessary skill set is not likely to be found within the current cast mix.

Also keep in mind, entry level managers do not make a lot of money. Most folks with a Master's degree have a certian salary expectation level. The entry management postions a few years ago, started in the upper 20's to 30's. The plus side is that if you are willing and patient, the career experience and possibility of promotion tend to make it worth it.

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
I don't really have a particular expectation as far as money goes, I'm glad to work up the ladder of success! Ive been visiting Disney for 25 years and feel I have a pretty good understanding of the climate. I spoke with a lady in Public Affairs and she said try the professional internship - too bad you have to be enrolled to be eligible for that. I was so busy with papers in graduate school I never thought of applying.

I will continue to knock on doors until one opens! :hammer:

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
Unfortunatly I don't have an answer for you. Though hearing about your two years of apps. is very discouraging for me. I've got over 15 years of experience but until Dec. I lack the degree. One of my main reasons for going back to school was to up my chances for a job at Disney. DS and I really want to move to FL we're starting to hate snow.:ROFLOL:

Don't be too discouraged! I would however go now and apply for a Professional Internship, I sure wish I had! You can do that here : http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/internships/disney_world_resort.html

You must be in the northeast with all the snow! Weve had just enough to have fun in North Carolina / Southeastern Virginia. The climate is a good mix here, thats the only draw back in FL - the HEAT!! The hottest park I think is Hollywood, that asphalt was a mistake!!

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
Been through a ton of meetings with people there and it is very difficult if you aren't part of the company. They keep a lot of positions available to people on the inside...anything listed on the careers site is open to the public though so those are the jobs that you are able to be considered for.

So they have jobs posted for only current employees and the website is to bring in new hires basically?

Wilt Dasney

I think Disney really likes seeing "Disney" on resumes. If you can get any kind of foot in the door, I think it would help you. Maybe your line of work would allow you to do some kind of freelance or contract work for them, or maybe you could find a real job in Florida and apply to sell popcorn on Main Street on the weekends and see what you can parlay that into.

I know that's not the most desirable (or even realistic) course for a professional with a job and family, but I hear this complaint over and over on these boards. You just can't walk into a salaried professional job at Disney in the vast majority of cases, it seems like.

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
I think Disney really likes seeing "Disney" on resumes. If you can get any kind of foot in the door, I think it would help you. Maybe your line of work would allow you to do some kind of freelance or contract work for them, or maybe you could find a real job in Florida and apply to sell popcorn on Main Street on the weekends and see what you can parlay that into.

I know that's not the most desirable (or even realistic) course for a professional with a job and family, but I hear this complaint over and over on these boards. You just can't walk into a salaried professional job at Disney in the vast majority of cases, it seems like.

I've had that in mind as well, I have been applying for jobs in the Orlando area off and on for about a year, 3 more yesterday. Somethings got to give, I've been out of work for 7 months and have applied all over the country. :brick:

I spoke with an employee yesterday in a salaried position who was brought in from the outside, so I have some hope!

JessicaB

Don't be too discouraged! I would however go now and apply for a Professional Internship, I sure wish I had! You can do that here : http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/internships/disney_world_resort.html

You must be in the northeast with all the snow! Weve had just enough to have fun in North Carolina / Southeastern Virginia. The climate is a good mix here, thats the only draw back in FL - the HEAT!! The hottest park I think is Hollywood, that asphalt was a mistake!!
I would love to be able to due that. But since I'm a single mom it just wouldn't work out for me to do it. I'd also probably be the oldest one there, 30's not your normal collage age.:lol: I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope I guess. Good luck to you in your search. I'll keep them crossed for you to.:)

Wilt Dasney

I would love to be able to due that. But since I'm a single mom it just wouldn't work out for me to do it. I'd also probably be the oldest one there, 30's not your normal collage age.:lol: I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope I guess. Good luck to you in your search. I'll keep them crossed for you to.:)
Age is nothing! There was a guy in his 40s living in my college dorm junior year. And I've heard of women who have become like little "den mothers" to their roommates on the CP. You wouldn't be the first, that's for sure.

(The single mom part I can't explain away so easily.) :lookaroun

Duke of Disney

Original Poster

Thanks! lol - Im 31, so no big deal! I worked for 6 years out of high school since I paid for college, so thats why I just finished my masters degree in 2008! I think when I apply, they think Im "green" . :cool:

niteobsrvr

I don't really have a particular expectation as far as money goes, I'm glad to work up the ladder of success! Ive been visiting Disney for 25 years and feel I have a pretty good understanding of the climate. I spoke with a lady in Public Affairs and she said try the professional internship - too bad you have to be enrolled to be eligible for that. I was so busy with papers in graduate school I never thought of applying.

I will continue to knock on doors until one opens! :hammer:

I only mentioned the salary expectations factor because I have seen some people get offered management jobs only to be disappointed in the pay. I also think that is why Disney trends more toward internships and the college program. After spending some time inside the company, Disney knows if you will be a good fit and you know whther or not the company will meet your expectations.

One suggestion is to keep trying to get any job in Orlando, Disney or not, that you can will allow you to move here from a monetary standpoint. Then take up a job as a seasonal cast member in an area that might be close to what you want to do.

With the number of managers and professionals that Disney laid off since the downturn in the economy, going directly into such position is going to be difficult. In fact, in discussions with a former Disney General Manager, I know that if any of those people transfered to positions with lower pay and responsibilities to keep their employment with the Disney Company, they will be first in line for a promotion when something comes available.

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
I definitely apply to jobs in Orlando area several times a week, so we'll see! Thanks for the information, it's all been helpful. I have a few friends that are GSMs and they do ok, after having not worked for going on 7 months, Id take about anything!

jpm46

Glad to hear that I am not the only one in such a predicament.

It's always been a dream of mine to work for Disney and although I have been applying for a WIDE range of countless openings through the careers site, I have heard very little in return. I got my bachelors degree in May 2009 in Management & Marketing, and I have a fair amount of professional experience.

The process has become very discouraging. I have no problem getting my foot in the door and working in any capacity with the hopes of advancement. The one bright spot in this long road with Disney was when I got a call from an HR rep however, she kind of reinforced what I feared as far as the hiring process goes. And that is that having Disney experience is important, but now that I'm graduated I've missed my chance at any internship. Sooooo it's basically a "good luck".

I'm so determined to just try to break through that I have made an effort to find something part time/hourly but even that has been tough to get any response for. I've become so discouraged, don't want to let a lifelong dream like this die, especially at my young age, but don't know what to do next!

niteobsrvr

Glad to hear that I am not the only one in such a predicament.

It's always been a dream of mine to work for Disney and although I have been applying for a WIDE range of countless openings through the careers site, I have heard very little in return. I got my bachelors degree in May 2009 in Management & Marketing, and I have a fair amount of professional experience.

The process has become very discouraging. I have no problem getting my foot in the door and working in any capacity with the hopes of advancement. The one bright spot in this long road with Disney was when I got a call from an HR rep however, she kind of reinforced what I feared as far as the hiring process goes. And that is that having Disney experience is important, but now that I'm graduated I've missed my chance at any internship. Sooooo it's basically a "good luck".

I'm so determined to just try to break through that I have made an effort to find something part time/hourly but even that has been tough to get any response for. I've become so discouraged, don't want to let a lifelong dream like this die, especially at my young age, but don't know what to do next!

Do you live in central Florida now?

Unlike days of old, 10 years ago when I first came to Orlando, the hourly hiring process takes months in many cases. In 2000, even for a job like bus driver, you could be hired in about 2 weeks including background checks. Now that process seems to take about 4 months from the time you place your application on the website, http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/wdwcareers/hourly/index.html, until you get hired. I imagine even longer if you dont place your application at just the right time.

When I came here and worked for Disney back then, I was single, 32 and had nothing to lose. I sold everything I didnt need and put the rest in a truck. Once I arrived in Orlando, I put the stuff in a storage unit and took up residence in a campground. I arrived on a Saturday so I had to wait till Monday morning to physically go to casting and apply.

The moral of my story is that sometimes to get what you want, huge sacrifices must be evaluated and made. If you have other responsibilities it might take a little longer but you can certainly do it. But Disney is most certainly a company that promotes from within unless you are lucky enough to have friends in higher places or possess skills not easily obtianed with in the current cast. But certainly don't give up hope and dont stop trying.

Take a look at the professional positions they are hiring for and evaluate the skills they require. Compare that to your skill set and pursue additional educaiton in those areas. Pursue a job in your local area that will give you experience in areas that Disney is looking for on a regular basis (a lot of IT related skills these days).

And if all else fails, decide to be a bus driver or attractions host or food serve attendant for a while if your situation permits. The reality is any job at Disney is still a dream job for most of us.

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
JPM46 - Im sad in a way that folks like you and I can't get positions inside Disney, when we have a true love for the park, Walt, and for me, seeing newcomers leave with a smile and making them return customers. I have been going to Disney since 1980, my folks went opening month, opening year and they are sick :) with it, just as I am. :sohappy: Which is a blessing. I know how fortunate I have been to even have stepped foot in the park once, much less about 30 times now. Over the years I have made friends with castmembers by happenstance, and even driven the monorail a few resort laps. Ive stayed at each resort on the lap, several times, and love the culture and feeling it brings to all that visit. Ive been around the park, under the castle and eaten some of the best food made by people that truly love what they do. My love for the park and Disney was reinforced by Marty Sklar in December of this past year. I sat down with my folks at the 3 of available 4 chairs at the sushi bar in the California Grill. I asked him if we could join him, and he graciously embraced us. The next 2-3 hours were filled with stories of he and Walt, and of his "baby" - Space Mountain. He had not yet seen the Hall of Presidents, but was going the next day. I can't put into words what it was like talking with the "Jiminy Cricket of the organization" - but can tell you it will stay with me forever. His eyes lit up when I told him how much I loved the Carousel of Progress. Marty went on to tell us of when he placed the flag on the mound where the castle rests today. As he was sitting beside my dad, I had moved to his side, on bent knee, listening to his stories for over an hour and a half and asking him questions. He had been to the opening of each park, and worked side by side with Walt. I dont think I will ever meet anyone, so close to the person we all admire and love for what he gave in his life.

In short, I love the company and only dream that I could contribute one tenth of what he did, of course I will continue to apply - wishing - hoping - that they will allow me to work for the mouse. On a related note, I spent 2 days with Mickey Rooney on a film set, and yes, I asked about his meeting with Walt. (and got his autograph) :) Either way, Ive met the mouse's guardian and the person for whom we know as Mickey. I guess I cant complain much at all, but wouldnt it make great banter with guests? :) Until then, I will continue to fill my cart and apply for positions with Walt Disney World, overqualified or the reverse, I won't let up - for all the right reasons.

jpm46

Do you live in central Florida now?

Unlike days of old, 10 years ago when I first came to Orlando, the hourly hiring process takes months in many cases. In 2000, even for a job like bus driver, you could be hired in about 2 weeks including background checks. Now that process seems to take about 4 months from the time you place your application on the website, http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/wdwcareers/hourly/index.html, until you get hired. I imagine even longer if you dont place your application at just the right time.

When I came here and worked for Disney back then, I was single, 32 and had nothing to lose. I sold everything I didnt need and put the rest in a truck. Once I arrived in Orlando, I put the stuff in a storage unit and took up residence in a campground. I arrived on a Saturday so I had to wait till Monday morning to physically go to casting and apply.

The moral of my story is that sometimes to get what you want, huge sacrifices must be evaluated and made. If you have other responsibilities it might take a little longer but you can certainly do it. But Disney is most certainly a company that promotes from within unless you are lucky enough to have friends in higher places or possess skills not easily obtianed with in the current cast. But certainly don't give up hope and dont stop trying.

Take a look at the professional positions they are hiring for and evaluate the skills they require. Compare that to your skill set and pursue additional educaiton in those areas. Pursue a job in your local area that will give you experience in areas that Disney is looking for on a regular basis (a lot of IT related skills these days).

And if all else fails, decide to be a bus driver or attractions host or food serve attendant for a while if your situation permits. The reality is any job at Disney is still a dream job for most of us.

I completely agree with everything you've said. I'm amazed with your story and the drastic measures you took. I guess I'm not so crazy after all when thoughts of picking up and just going down there to chase my dream like you did cross my mind.

What do you do now?

jpm46

JPM46 - Im sad in a way that folks like you and I can't get positions inside Disney, when we have a true love for the park, Walt, and for me, seeing newcomers leave with a smile and making them return customers. I have been going to Disney since 1980, my folks went opening month, opening year and they are sick :) with it, just as I am. :sohappy: Which is a blessing. I know how fortunate I have been to even have stepped foot in the park once, much less about 30 times now. Over the years I have made friends with castmembers by happenstance, and even driven the monorail a few resort laps. Ive stayed at each resort on the lap, several times, and love the culture and feeling it brings to all that visit. Ive been around the park, under the castle and eaten some of the best food made by people that truly love what they do. My love for the park and Disney was reinforced by Marty Sklar in December of this past year. I sat down with my folks at the 3 of available 4 chairs at the sushi bar in the California Grill. I asked him if we could join him, and he graciously embraced us. The next 2-3 hours were filled with stories of he and Walt, and of his "baby" - Space Mountain. He had not yet seen the Hall of Presidents, but was going the next day. I can't put into words what it was like talking with the "Jiminy Cricket of the organization" - but can tell you it will stay with me forever. His eyes lit up when I told him how much I loved the Carousel of Progress. Marty went on to tell us of when he placed the flag on the mound where the castle rests today. As he was sitting beside my dad, I had moved to his side, on bent knee, listening to his stories for over an hour and a half and asking him questions. He had been to the opening of each park, and worked side by side with Walt. I dont think I will ever meet anyone, so close to the person we all admire and love for what he gave in his life.

In short, I love the company and only dream that I could contribute one tenth of what he did, of course I will continue to apply - wishing - hoping - that they will allow me to work for the mouse. On a related note, I spent 2 days with Mickey Rooney on a film set, and yes, I asked about his meeting with Walt. (and got his autograph) :) Either way, Ive met the mouse's guardian and the person for whom we know as Mickey. I guess I cant complain much at all, but wouldnt it make great banter with guests? :) Until then, I will continue to fill my cart and apply for positions with Walt Disney World, overqualified or the reverse, I won't let up - for all the right reasons.

That's what can be so frustrating. I KNOW that I can and would be everything that Disney looks for in a cast member, but so frustrating to not be able to communicate this - I don't want to come across as just a super fan!

Thanks for the encouragement. What an amazing story! It sounds as though you are still chasing the dream as well, in a similar situation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom