Disney going downhill?

Rinx

Original Poster
Just a general yes or no question. If you care to elaborate, then by all means.

So with the current state of the parks and resorts, etc and what Disney is doing and not doing and what they will do and won't do, what do you think? Also consider personal experiences and observations.

raven

I think people's idea of going "downhill" have more to do with how society, technology and guest expectation is changing. It's a tough battle to please everyone anymore and you can't expect one company to do it all.

Grizzly Hall 71

Everything outside the Parks IMO are in the best shape I've ever seen them in. Fresh paint, re done rooms, and much more.

Now the Parks:

They all need help. And very badly. I know many will flame me for saying this but MK needs to focus more toward the older crowd. What do I mean? Not saying thrill rides but it seems the focus has been more toward the very young crowd. The tween to young adult crowds don't really have much to do compared to the amount of activities that young children have. With the first version of FLE I thought they really heading downhill. But since I've heard plans have changed I hope this will solve that problem.

Epcot needs more rides. Yes I know Epcot in Disney fanatics eyes is their perfect version of a theme park. But look at it if it was your first time there and you just spent $80 + per person for 3 worth while rides. ThEat's just not going to cut it nowadays. I know the main argument here will be, well it's the 3rd most visited park in the USA. But I think it still needs more rides. First timers really don't see the value here when I'm with them.

The Studios needs to create a single focus. Does it want to be a working studio or does it want to be a park. I would prefer both but it seems it fails to do that. Universal does somewhat a good job at it but I feel the Studios could do better. Add a few more rides and a little less shows then it will be a great park again.

Animal Kingdom IMO is in the best shape. Not saying it doesn't have problems. It does need more rides like Epcot. It needs to fulfill it's message for showing real, imaginary, and extinct. And no, they yeti is not imaginary because you can't even see him during the ride. Also the park needs some more unique experiences. Why not have a Aladar meet and greet in Dinoland in a Living Character way. Those are the little thins that make Disney special but the past decade those little things have seemed to vanish year by year. Without these little things I hate to say it about my favorite park but AK is just a zoo.

I hope Disney gets back on track and focus on investing in some new interesting stuff because with rides like SGE and MILF coming I feel Disney is heading the wrong direction.

floridabill

Down hill and fast!!!

While disney land gets a face lift, WDW is in the crapper! I don't care what people say about budget and money blah blah blah! I am a disney fan yes, but you have to be sniffing some serious pixie dust to think they aren't screwing up!! They never took potter head on, which was a mistake because everyone loves potter and that will never die!! And fantasy land is coming to late to even try and compete. I think what bothers me the most is they think they are untouchable, when there are now parks such as universal, matching or surpassing them with new immersive ride technologies! TDO does not care about there parks if they did they would have 1.) Fixed the yeti, 2.) added much needed attractions to animal kingdom, 3.) revamp and add to DHS, 4.) epcot needs a new country and wonders of life is empty and rotting!

The parks are a mess and disney needs to fix them, they are lucky that they have a world wide fan base, because if they were dependent on only the people on this site to go there they would be BANKRUPT!! They due awesome things and help communities and thats great, but they need to get there theme parks together! they need to justify why they charge what they charge and never deliver!! I have said before I do not believe disney will survive on there own material much longer, I think they need to franchise. because if universal does ever build a lord or the rings, or Avatar theme park they are FINISHED! either they are going to destroy themselves by corporate greed, or universal or others will surpass them, or with the way society is going the disney brand will just seem to soft, kids these day's do not want to spend time with there families, they are more into there electronics, and they would rather see someones head splattered on the ground then hug a fairy.

Mickey92

Everything outside the Parks IMO are in the best shape I've ever seen them in. Fresh paint, re done rooms, and much more.

Now the Parks:

They all need help. And very badly. I know many will flame me for saying this but MK needs to focus more toward the older crowd. What do I mean? Not saying thrill rides but it seems the focus has been more toward the very young crowd. The tween to young adult crowds don't really have much to do compared to the amount of activities that young children have. With the first version of FLE I thought they really heading downhill. But since I've heard plans have changed I hope this will solve that problem.

Epcot needs more rides. Yes I know Epcot in Disney fanatics eyes is their perfect version of a theme park. But look at it if it was your first time there and you just spent $80 + per person for 3 worth while rides. ThEat's just not going to cut it nowadays. I know the main argument here will be, well it's the 3rd most visited park in the USA. But I think it still needs more rides. First timers really don't see the value here when I'm with them.

The Studios needs to create a single focus. Does it want to be a working studio or does it want to be a park. I would prefer both but it seems it fails to do that. Universal does somewhat a good job at it but I feel the Studios could do better. Add a few more rides and a little less shows then it will be a great park again.

Animal Kingdom IMO is in the best shape. Not saying it doesn't have problems. It does need more rides like Epcot. It needs to fulfill it's message for showing real, imaginary, and extinct. And no, they yeti is not imaginary because you can't even see him during the ride. Also the park needs some more unique experiences. Why not have a Aladar meet and greet in Dinoland in a Living Character way. Those are the little thins that make Disney special but the past decade those little things have seemed to vanish year by year. Without these little things I hate to say it about my favorite park but AK is just a zoo.

I hope Disney gets back on track and focus on investing in some new interesting stuff because with rides like SGE and MILF coming I feel Disney is heading the wrong direction.

I agree with you 100% Grizzly Hall 71. Exactly what I was thinking ;) Animal Kingdom needs more things to do! (We are done by just after lunch)
Epcot needs maybe a few more rides around the WS.
Studios, I agree with you and I think it should be half park, half film studios but both rolled into one so get a nice blend :)
Magic Kingdom, hopefully the new expansion will, obviously, bring something new and exciting but lets wait an see. I agree with your views though Nice one! ;)

Thrill

Now the Parks:

I mostly agree. While I don't think that MK is completely lacking anything for teens, I think that one, maybe two rides that teens could enjoy would do a lot of good for the park.

As for Epcot, it's a great park, but it's a long way from the perfect theme park. It's a great start, but it definitely needs more. The World Showcase could use a few C-D Ticket attractions. Future World definitely needs some work. I would love to see a preshow for The Seas, an update to Energy, something done to Wonders of Life, and an update to Imagination (the ride and 3D movie).

With the Studios, perfect explanation. Is this park a movie studio or a park with attractions based on movies? As of late, it seems like the latter. Some things just don't make sense, either. Rockin' Roller Coaster on a street with 30's music and a 30's hotel? That's a major theming lapse, and I would like it if they did something to correct it. The Backlot Tour is awful, especially compared to what it used to be, even the early 2000's version that I remember, which is nothing compared to the opening day version, from what I'm told. The shows are mostly old, other than Lights, Motors, Action! which gets boring after a couple of viewings.

As for Animal Kingdom, again, it's a good start. It could use an expansion, though. I would love them to replace Chester and Hester's with the roller coaster that was supposed to be built there, fix the Dinosaur effects, and fix the Yeti, namely. Rafiki's Planet Watch is ignored by most guests, and I think they could do something about it by making it accessible via a trail. A few dark rides would definitely help as well. Most guests say AK is a half day park, while others bill it as a two day park. Clearly, there's a lot to do here, it's just that Disney needs to find a way to bring people to those places. As much as I'd love to see it happen, AK doesn't need Beastly Kingdomme just yet. I'd work with the existing lands and leave BK in the pipeline for the future.

As you said, the resorts are in good shape. Downtown Disney and the water parks are alright as well, though DisneyQuest needs an update. The concept could work, it's just that it's still in the 90's. DQ was designed to be updated frequently, and that didn't happen. I'm honestly surprised that it's still open in this state.

bamillerpa

I don't think the parks are that bad off. People on here seem to nitpick them apart and see things that the average person doesn't even notice. Of course, there are a few things I would like to see done.

MK-I love MK. I think at it's heart it is a place for young children or the older to feel young again. Its all about make believe and fantasy and I think it's fine the way it and what it has to offer. There are plenty of other places that cater to the teen set and I think MK is fine staying the way that they are.

Epcot-I would love Imagination to be as imaginative as it was when it opened. I would even be happy if they would just bring back some of the post ride stuff like the rainbow corridor. I find it boring now. I don't think a thrill ride is needed or anything like that but WS could use something in it that relates to the country you are in.

DHS-I'm not a big fan of shows but some people like them so I don't think that anything major needs to be done. I wouldn't mind something new in the backlot tour. I've been on it enough that I don't find it exciting at all but that could just be me since I've done it too many times.

Animal Kingdom-I love this park. I think it has a nice mix of rides, trails, animals. I would love to see it have another land but I also like what they currently have.

So, I think the person going for the first time is going to be impressed but for the repeat guests a few tweaks would be in order. All in all I think Disney does a great job.:)

AndyMagic

"Going downhill" is a strong statement. I remember thinking the parks were getting pretty stale and upkeep was lacking in the early 2000's during the dreaded Paul Pressler years but then things changed and Disney invested quite a bit in new attractions. I'd say the Disney World parks in particular have been headed in the wrong direction for the past few years but these things tend to be cyclical and I have faith things will turn around.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Just a general yes or no question. If you care to elaborate, then by all means.

So with the current state of the parks and resorts, etc and what Disney is doing and not doing and what they will do and won't do, what do you think? Also consider personal experiences and observations.

Ok. They won't do the things that they can't or don't want to do. They will do the things they can and want to do. I hope that answers your question. Pretty straight forward.

BrerFrog

I think you can say that, perhaps with the exception of MK, all other parks have been at better states on the past.

DHS was more whole when there was an actual studio back there, and it still needs to recover from the fact that it isn't a studio anymore.

EPCOT's Future World lacks the cohesiveness and content it once had.

AK's most important animatronic is not working as it should, and the fact that EE can't be closed without causing the park to be harmed in attendance reveals a strong weakness.

Larry Mondello

You know, I did think that things were starting to go downhill until I saw this. I see that with the ticket price increased revenue Disney has gone all out and gotten real firefighters at their fire truck exhibit in Innoventions.

4911419955_fb4d9832a4_b.jpg

PeoplemoverTTA

I can understand the argument for changing guest attitudes and ideas of entertainment, but I consider myself a tech geek...I keep up with the latest gadgets and news.

Yet, the most high tech attractions Disney has delivered the past few years have disappointed me (MILF, Mission: Space).

Does that mean Disney is going downhill? Not necessarily. I cannot say one bit that I enjoy my vacations less or that I feel the overall enjoyment of a WDW vacation has gone downhill as a result. I just wish that the market research drones (I don't respect their surveys...I have a background in marketing research and can see leading questions from a mile away) would deliver feedback to the higher ups that technology alone does not an immersive attraction make.

Technology used to tell a great story, in an immersive environment...there's an idea. Connect the two...the history of great immersive attractions (and cutting edge technology of the day, I might add), with the technology of today. Make new technologies, like Walt did, or use existing ones in ways we would never dream could be used to tell stories or transport a guest. That's what WDI and WDW did best in the past, and what is lacking now (for me, at least).

One last thing...without a doubt the DL experience for me overall has that little extra, and it's the attention to detail, the little things they do to please the guests (who are overwhelmingly local, and therefore have more power en masse than us "fanbois," who are in the minority when it comes to WDW).

CarlFredricksen

The parks are fine. Are they 100% perfect? No. Where they ever? No. Will they ever be? No. There is always room for improvement, and that's what challenges Disney to improve. I never want to be satisifed at a Disney park, b/c if everyone is satisfied where can they challenge themselves to move forward? I always want Disney to push for the best.

Unfortunately, people always search for the negatives instead of the positives (esp on these boards...*cough* THIS THREAD *cough*).

The bottom line is this: If MK adds a tween-adult ride like some suggest, others will bash it saying it should have went to Epcot or DHS. And others will be negative and say, 'why does MK get another attraction, show AK some love.' The FLE at MK meets guests demands with the addition of M&Gs, dining capacity, overall capacity AND a dark ride. And yet some fail to look at the big picture to realize everything they are getting, and selfishly say 'well I want two dark rides.' Just because all of those things don't excite you personally, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Does everything in MK currently excite you? No. Because everyone has different things they enjoy and expect out of a WDW visit. For some it's dining experiences, others character greetings, and for others attractions.

At the end of the day we are all Disney fans because of what is and has been in central Florida over the last 40 years. We go back year after year because we are happy there. Could each park be a little better? Sure. But at what price? Disney is a company with a bottom line at the end of the day. There aren't endless funds.

Be happy with what you got. After all, we could be in HK.

MAGICFLOP

I don't think they are slipping at all.

EPCOT already has enough rides. Rides are more for a younger crowd. EPCOT is enjoyable cause you can spread out and look around. I enjoy rides like the next person, but I certainly dont want all rides. I love WS cause of the countries not the rides in the countries..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom