Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

Stevek

So Genie+ is Maxpass/Fastpass+? I guess I will plunk down the extra $60/day for our WDW trip. Not going to worry about Lightning Lane thingy. Overall, not as bad as what Paris is doing but...still.

Edit...sounds like rides like Seven Dwarfs Mine train will not be part of the Genie+ system and will be available using the DL Paris model. Ooof.

TP2000

Interesting. The only thing that surprises me about this is that they had to wait over 20 years to finally start charging for it. 😁

Disneyland will replace the free FastPass system with a paid Lightning Lane option and begin charging for premium front-of-the-line access on some individual attractions as the Anaheim theme park launches its new Disney Genie mobile app.

The new Disney Genie service will debut this fall as part of the Disneyland and Walt Disney World mobile apps as a replacement for the retiring FastPass and MaxPass line-cutting options.

Disney Genie will help Disneyland and Disney World visitors make customized itineraries geared to their interests at the best times and in the most optimized order. Just tell Disney Genie what you want to do and the app will evaluate millions of options to create the best itinerary. Change your mind and Genie will re-optimize your day. If you’re undecided, Genie will offer park navigation tips, recommend rides and help make dining reservations.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

So Genie+ is Maxpass/Fastpass+? I guess I will plunk down the extra $60/day for our WDW trip. Not going to worry about Lightning Lane thingy. Overall, not as bad as what Paris is doing but...still.
As I understand it this virtually is what DLP is doing but with a cuter name.

It’s a 3 tiered (ahem..caste..ahem)system. There’s the regular 3rd class “free” Genie app; 2nd class Genie+ App for an added fee for timed entries (similar to old maxpass); and then 1st class Genie+ App with (pay per ride) lightning lane for guaranteed anything entry.

Stevek

Here's the official Disney Post

Here are a few more features:

• Get Itinerary Updates from Morning to Night: Disney Genie will continue to update your itinerary throughout your day, so you can be more spontaneous and go with the flow.
  • Find Your Favorites at a Glance: Create your very own personal tip board to instantly see your favorites. It will display current AND forecasted future wait times, helping you predict when you might experience quicker entry to attractions.
  • Enjoy More Flexibility and Fun: Disney Genie brings existing planning features together in one place. Join a virtual queue at certain attractions, make dining and experience reservations, mobile order food at many locations, get help from a virtual assistant and more.
For even more convenience and flexibility, there are two other options for enjoying our theme parks, through a queue we are introducing called the Lightning Lane entrance that also saves you time in line:

• Disney Genie+ service (available for purchase): For the price of $15 per ticket per day at Walt Disney World Resort and $20 per ticket per day at Disneyland Resort, choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance. You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day – from classics like Haunted Mansion to thrill rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and newer favorites like Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (attractions subject to limited availability). This convenient option is the next evolution of the fan-favorite Disney MaxPass service from Disneyland Resort. Disney Genie+ will also include Disney parks-themed audio experiences and photo features to capture your memories – augmented reality lenses for those visiting Walt Disney World Resort and unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads from your day if you are visiting Disneyland Resort.
  • Individual attraction selections (available for purchase): Schedule a time to arrive at up to two highly demanded attractions each day using the Lightning Lane entrance – like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom Park and Radiator Springs Racers at Disney California Adventure park (subject to limited availability; attractions not included with Disney Genie+). Pricing for this option will vary by date, attraction and park and will be announced closer to launch.
Lightning Lane selections will be made on the same day of your visit and can be used across multiple theme parks, great for those who love the Park Hopper option. Attractions continue to offer a traditional standby queue, or a virtual queue at certain attractions like Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance – to maximize flexibility.

While the FASTPASS, FastPass+ and Disney MaxPass services will be retired, we’re incredibly excited about the flexibility and choices Disney Genie service provides. You can choose from all of our new options, a mix of them or none at all, and continue to have a great experience no matter how you decide to plan your best Disney day.

We are also making some enhancements to our Disability Access Service (DAS) program, including new options to enroll in the program pre-arrival and for DAS participants to select attractions directly in the app. These options will be available in addition to our existing, in-person DAS program. Visit our Services for Guests with Disabilities page DisneyWorld.com and Disneyland.com for more details.

For more details on Disney Genie, visit DisneyWorld.com/DisneyGenie and Disneyland.com/DisneyGenie and check out this video from Gary Daniels, Vice President of Digital Experience. Stay tuned to Disney Parks Blog for updates real soon, including how to purchase Disney Genie+.

aaronml

Essentially, Genie+ at DLR is MaxPass but limited to “Tier 2” attractions.

Tier-1 / high-demand attractions will require purchasing an individual “Lightning Lane” pass for that attraction (like DPA in Paris)

SoCalDisneyLover

Interesting that Genie+ is only available on a per-day basis, and not as an AP / Magic Key add-on.
If the Key holders don't go for the $20/day deal, they'll eventually have to offer it.

No different from how they fleeced Legacy passholders with full priced tickets for as long as they could, before eventually caving and offering Keys.

I think the price point will be $200, but that's just a guess.

SoCalDisneyLover

Tier-1 / high-demand attractions will require purchasing an individual “Lightning Lane” pass for that attraction (like DPA in Paris)
Tier 1: Radiator Springs Racers, Rise Of The Resistance, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railroad.

Just a prediction.

Newtwo

The experience of going to Disneyland is getting so complicated and frustrating for your average guest.

This will generate more revenue for Disney, but I really start to think they are going to start alienating your average park goer that doesn't want to read a ing encyclopedia on how the parks work in order to enjoy their day at Disneyland.

dlr74

Do we think they’ll keep the same Tiers as before? Tier 1 previously included the Matterhorn and Midway Mania. Are those really worthy of an additional paid Lighting Lane?

SplashGhost

This is going to be way too confusing for most guests. So you have to buy Genie+ for the day, and then buy individual fastpasses for in-demand attractions. Six Flags parks have a tier system for their paid fast passes and it makes way more sense and is way more straightforward.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Do we think they’ll keep the same Tiers as before? Tier 1 previously included the Matterhorn and Midway Mania. Are those really worthy of an additional paid Lighting Lane?
It’s surge pricing. So the great thing (for shareholders) is those attractions could go for $6-8 under Lightning Lane, more “in demand” attractions like RoTR abd Websliners could go for much more (Jim Hill mentioned $50 for RoTR).

Plus it also eliminates the need for more staff/better ops since artificially inflated capacity means more $$. A win-win for management, Ivy League MBAs at work.

smooch

Okay so no more regular fastpasses? Do I just have to use standby on every ride unless I wanna pay extra? Would it be worth it to pay for the Lightning Lane? I have no idea how any of this will affect me on my next trip, I've never used MaxPass and haven't been to DLR since 2017-2018. Also what affect do you think this will have one queue times?

Stevek

Good read here from Tom Bricker. Always appreciate his level headed and objective write ups.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom