Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
it’s currently 1:00p at Disneyland USA. You can either ride Big Thunder in about 30 minutes for no extra cost whatsoever… or pay $20 to ride at 2:10. Ride only once, 60 minutes from now. What a deal, ha!!!

For $20, all the effects better be working (I’m looking at you, fog blast effects!!). For a family of four, that’s $80.

$10 to ride Radiator Springs Racers in 60 minutes. So, a family of four, $40 to ride in 60 minutes. $40!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your family does both, that’s $120!
It’s all about perception of value. For some, this is a joke and highway robbery. For others, it’s a great deal and worth the money. Just depends on who you’re talking to.

Wendy Pleakley

it’s currently 1:00p at Disneyland USA. You can either ride Big Thunder in about 30 minutes for no extra cost whatsoever… or pay $20 to ride at 2:10. Ride only once, 60 minutes from now. What a deal, ha!!!

For $20, all the effects better be working (I’m looking at you, fog blast effects!!). For a family of four, that’s $80.

$10 to ride Radiator Springs Racers in 60 minutes. So, a family of four, $40 to ride in 60 minutes. $40!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your family does both, that’s $120!

If one does every lightning lane attraction, which is very much doable in my experience (not counting the ones with an individual fee) that's 12 attractions in Disneyland alone. We're talking about six hours saved total based on a 30 minute average standby time.

That's certainly worth $20 for a lot of people.

Another thing to consider is that using Genie+ will mean getting more done in a single day, which could translate into needing less days in the parks.

A 5-day ticket is $380, a 3-day ticket is $330. A 3-day ticket with two days of Genie+ is $370.

For some people, 3 days in the parks with less wait times is preferable to 4 or 5 days with a lot of standby time. For the same price you might do the same number of attractions and have extra free days to hit the pool, beach, or other attractions.

Dapale

For some people, 3 days in the parks with less wait times is preferable to 4 or 5 days with a lot of standby time
And they spend less time in the parks, resulting in 2 days less of possible merchandise & food sales ;). Our family did a 3-day WDW trip and used our 2nd day to do DHS and Epcot (with Genie+) and we finished everything we wanted. That's a full day of food, merch, and ticket sales we passed up (which would've been more than the $60 we spent for Genie+ ($15/person)).

Mickeyboof

If one does every lightning lane attraction, which is very much doable in my experience (not counting the ones with an individual fee) that's 12 attractions in Disneyland alone. We're talking about six hours saved total based on a 30 minute average standby time.

That's certainly worth $20 for a lot of people.

Another thing to consider is that using Genie+ will mean getting more done in a single day, which could translate into needing less days in the parks.

A 5-day ticket is $380, a 3-day ticket is $330. A 3-day ticket with two days of Genie+ is $370.

For some people, 3 days in the parks with less wait times is preferable to 4 or 5 days with a lot of standby time. For the same price you might do the same number of attractions and have extra free days to hit the pool, beach, or other attractions.

You know what’s better than a three day ticket with genie + for $370?

A three day ticket with fastpass for $330! And it’s possible, but enough people have to make it so. Which, I understand, wont actually happen. Most people vote/pay for things that do not serve their best interests!

And they spend less time in the parks, resulting in 2 days less of possible merchandise & food sales ;). Our family did a 3-day WDW trip and used our 2nd day to do DHS and Epcot (with Genie+) and we finished everything we wanted. That's a full day of food, merch, and ticket sales we passed up (which would've been more than the $60 we spent for Genie+ ($15/person)).

How does that make you feel about the value of your entry ticket? Doesn’t it seem bizarre you’re paying twice?

Dapale

Doesn’t it seem bizarre you’re paying twice?
Guess so. I'm not a supporter of Genie+ / a la carte LL but when pressed for time, I'd definitely knock off another 4 tickets, merch, and food and save on the difference. I don't think we would've been able to do everything we did at DHS on the old fastpass system (not saying it's bad).

Sailor310

And you know what’s better than that? $1 entry and 10 cents for a ride. I could do the entire day for less than 5 bucks! Unfortunately I don’t have a time machine back to 1955
Doggone it! A ten-cent upcharge for every ride?? I've already paid my dollar to get in.;)

Mickeyboof

And you know what’s better than that? $1 entry and 10 cents for a ride. I could do the entire day for less than 5 bucks! Unfortunately I don’t have a time machine back to 1955

well, I’ll agree with you there. We certainly are back to a entry+ticket book era. Except this time it’s about 6000% more expensive. No time machine necessary. Hope you enjoy it!

Do remember, though, when you pay for Genie, that money doesn’t better ride maintenance or increase cm wages, it’s a straight profit-line for Bob Chapek’s accountant. It’s pure profit, and does absolutely nothing to better any of the experiences you care about.

Wonder when the next Disneyland ticket price increase will be…

Hitchens

We went to Disneyland on Monday and I found that Genie+ was not intuitive, and finding where on Genie + to make reservations for attractions was a bit of a pain. Far too much junk I was not interested in got in my way. Theme parks are distracting atmospheres, and I resented having to look at my phone while would rather have been looking at the park.

Major Disney shareholder (after he sold Pixer) Steve Jobs would've expressed his anger at Chapek and Iger for putting out such a bad program. In Iger's book, he described how Jobs was upset at how unattractive & cheap looking the Art of Animation resort was, and I'd guess he'd've been even angrier about software that was insufficiently user friendly. Of course, I'm just speculating.

I hope Genie+ improves. Other than that we had a very nice day.

Last edited:

waltography

We went to Disneyland on Monday and I found that Genie+ was not intuitive, and finding where on Genie + to make reservations for attractions was a bit of a pain. Far too much junk I was not interested in got in my way. Theme parks are distracting atmospheres, and I resented having to look at my phone while would rather have been looking at the park.

Major Disney shareholder (after he sold Pixer) Steve Jobs would've expressed his anger at Chapek and Iger for putting out such a bad program. In Iger's book, he described how Jobs was upset at how unattractive & cheap looking the Art of Animation resort was, and I'd guess he'd've been even angrier about software that was insufficiently user friendly. Of course, I'm just speculating.

I hope Genie+ improves. Other than that we had a very nice day.
It really is a shame; they had a perfectly intuitive system with MaxPass that collated all available FastPasses into one screen that you didn't even need to scroll much for, and in its place they introduced a completely overwrought Tip Board that forces you to scroll for miles (and even switch parks at times) just to get the Lightning Lane you want. Still unbelievable to me.

mickEblu

well, I’ll agree with you there. We certainly are back to a entry+ticket book era. Except this time it’s about 6000% more expensive. No time machine necessary. Hope you enjoy it!

Do remember, though, when you pay for Genie, that money doesn’t better ride maintenance or increase cm wages, it’s a straight profit-line for Bob Chapek’s accountant. It’s pure profit, and does absolutely nothing to better any of the experiences you care about.

Wonder when the next Disneyland ticket price increase will be…

So where do you draw the line? Do you still visit the parks? Are you an annual pass holder?

Ryan120420

So where do you draw the line? Do you still visit the parks? Are you an annual pass holder?

My last 5 visits since Genie Plus has launched have been some of the worst days I've had in any theme parks.

For me the line has been crossed. My Magic Key expires in September, so I'll occasionally visit to see if the experience improves, but when my expiration date comes up, I'm out.

I use to think Disney was the king of operating a theme park and trying to provide everyone with the best experience possible. This is no longer the case.

It's now pay for Genie Plus or you will have a experience.

Mickeyboof

It’s wild to think that I often would not even bring a cellphone into the park. As recently as Feb 2020. Either get a locker or just leave the hotel without one.

It was incredibly special to spend an entire day soaked in the present.

Now, you can’t even eat without that damn device.

mickEblu

My last 5 visits since Genie Plus has launched have been some of the worst days I've had in any theme parks.

For me the line has been crossed. My Magic Key expires in September, so I'll occasionally visit to see if the experience improves, but when my expiration date comes up, I'm out.

I use to think Disney was the king of operating a theme park and trying to provide everyone with the best experience possible. This is no longer the case.

It's now pay for Genie Plus or you will have a **** experience.

Yeah I can understand this. Genie + is making standby waits ridiculously long on busy days. I still think you can have a good time without it if you go on the right day, rope drop or just enjoy trips that aren’t completely ride driven.

I don’t think I have enough of a sample size to make my official opinion as I have only been to the parks 3 times (one trip was 2.5 days) since they implemented Genie +. The first of which was a one day trip with a family member that utilizes DAS so I didn’t wait in line for anything. Second trip was also a one day trip just me and my son where we rope dropped DCA on what happened to be a blissful non crowded weekday where we knocked out pretty much all DCA by 4pm without using Genie + (only used a la carte Spider-Man). Then my last 2.5 day trip a few weeks ago we used Genie + on one and day and didn’t on the second day. Interestingly enough, we enjoyed the non genie + day much more.

Last edited:

Ryan120420

Yeah I can understand this. Genie + is making standby waits ridiculously long on busy days. I still think you can have a good time without it if you go on the right day, rope drop or just enjoy trips that aren’t completely ride driven.

I don’t think I have enough of a sample size to make my official opinion as I have only been to the parks 3 times (one trip was 2.5 days) since they implemented Genie +. The first of which was with a family member that utilizes DAS so I didn’t wait in line for anything. Second trip was also a one day trip with my son where we rope dropped DCA on what happened to be a blissful non non crowded weekday where we knocked out pretty much all DCA by 4pm without using Genie + (only used a la carte Spider-Man). Then my last 2.5 day trip a few weeks ago we used on one and day and didn’t on the second day. Interestingly enough, we enjoyed the non genie + day much more.

I go to Disneyland to ride the rides.

If I'm not riding the rides, I'm not having a good time.

And lately, I've been standing in more lines not riding. Instead I've been standing and watching what seems like an endless stream of people with Lighting Lanes jump ahead of me.

I've never been more frustrated and angry when visiting a Disney Theme Park.

So depressing to see what the parks have become lately.

waltography

I don’t think I have enough of a sample size to make my official opinion as I have only been to the parks 3 times (one trip was 2.5 days) since they implemented Genie +. The first of which was a one day trip with a family member that utilizes DAS so I didn’t wait in line for anything. Second trip was also a one day trip just me and my son where we rope dropped DCA on what happened to be a blissful non crowded weekday where we knocked out pretty much all DCA by 4pm without using Genie + (only used a la carte Spider-Man). Then my last 2.5 day trip a few weeks ago we used Genie + on one and day and didn’t on the second day. Interestingly enough, we enjoyed the non genie + day much more.
I'm headed to the parks again on President's Day, do you think it'll be busy enough to warrant Genie+ then?

waltography

Yeah probably. Won’t be as busy as Saturday or Sunday but a lot of people do have that day off. Are you planning on doing a full day?
Probably not a full day; we usually arrive before rope drop and leave at around 5-6pm, so Genie+ will probably be useful to sneak in one or two extra attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom