Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

Roy G. Dis

Honestly with two little kids none of the LL lines make sense for us to fork over $20/pp to take advantage of it. I just want to know how the Genie+ is affecting lines in general.

TP2000

Honestly with two little kids none of the LL lines make sense for us to fork over $20/pp to take advantage of it. I just want to know how the Genie+ is affecting lines in general.

It was cold and rainy today in OC, so many of the locals stayed home in fear because water was falling from the sky. (Anaheim got one tenth of an inch today. That's what experts call measurable precipitation!) It's now clearing but 56 degrees and dropping in Anaheim, so that means after work everyone in SoCal went straight home and are wearing emergency sweatshirts and making hot cocoa and talking about how cold it is this Christmas!

The husbands of Orange County are trying to remember how to light the pilot light on the furnace this evening.

(Man Advice for Furnace: Turn on the gas and listen to where inside the furnace it's hissing from. Then just start jabbing a lit match in there and PRESTO! When the little flame spits on, spend some time making extra clanking noises with stuff, and then boldly go tell the family that you "got it done!". If you have a son, only explain this process to him after his 18th birthday.)

It's a bad day to make any determination on how Genie+/Lightning Lane/Lightning Lane A La Carte has impacted the park, unfortunately. This weekend should be sunny though, so the crowds will return before the rain comes back on Monday and Tuesday.

I imagine we'll have some good first hand reports and feedback by Sunday evening here.

Last edited:

TP2000

Does anyone know if Genie+ was operating today? Just wondering if the "resort partners" finished whatever "partnering" had to be done.
Good question.

Apparently the resort partners did some partnering for the resort and Genie+/Lightning Lane/Lightning Lane A La Carte was actually working today. But because of the aforementioned rain, Disneyland was very uncrowded on Thursday.

Here's a picture from the Tweeter a few hours ago that shows pretty colors. Apparently because there's no red shades on the Disneyland side of the photo, it proves how low the Genie+/Lightning Lane/Lightning Lane A La Carte wait times were at Disneyland today versus Disney World.

TP2000

Does anyone know if Genie+ was operating today? Just wondering if the "resort partners" finished whatever "partnering" had to be done.

I'd like to know if they understand how insanely stupid they sound when they talk like that to paying customers?

Like, is there no training on proper nomenclature and phrasing and customer interaction any longer? Or are the people who are doing the sketchy training so clueless that they think "resort partners" makes sense in natural conversation?

Especially when you are conversing with a frustrated customer dealing with the failed product you sold them.

It's an issue that's petty and funny, I get it. But it's also important. It's language and communication with paying customers.

Are TDA execs and managers really this dumb? Do TDA managers not understand how to talk to customers who just spent a thousand or more dollars to take their family to Disneyland for the day?

mlayton144

I'd like to know if they understand how insanely stupid they sound when they talk like that to paying customers?

Like, is there no training on proper nomenclature and phrasing and customer interaction any longer? Or are the people who are doing the sketchy training so clueless that they think "resort partners" makes sense in natural conversation?

Especially when you are conversing with a frustrated customer dealing with the failed product you sold them.

It's an issue that's petty and funny, I get it. But it's also important. It's language and communication with paying customers.

Are TDA execs and managers really this dumb? Do TDA managers not understand how to talk to customers who just spent a thousand or more dollars to take their family to Disneyland for the day?

TP2000 is on a roll

Communicora

Premium Member

I blame it on MBA culture.

CaptinEO

In the Kitetails announcement video they called the show a "Daytime Activation". As if anyone knows what that means.

I'm sure the marketing team does, but not me.

SSG

I want to be a Resort Partner when I grow up.

Cringe No GIF by Originals

aaronml

Scott Gustin said on Twitter that Genie+ LL won’t be used for Fantasmic and WoC like FastPass/MaxPass were pre-COVID.

I’m somewhat skeptical of this. FP was really helpful for both shows. Nobody likes having to show up super early and camp out for a good viewing spot.

From Disney’s standpoint, these are the options I see:

1. Go back to first come first served for most viewing areas for both shows, and only have reserved viewing areas for dining packages.

2. Include both shows in Genie+ LL. If they did this, they would potentially need to convert some of the former FP viewing areas back to first come first served, to avoid the perception that “paying up” is the only way to get a good view.

3. Develop new functionality in the LL system / app for free FPs for nighttime entertainment.

With options 2 and 3, I’m skeptical that they would use the “Lightning Lane” name though, since there isn’t actually a “lane”, just a different viewing area. That said, modern TWDC isn’t great at naming things, so who knows.

IMO options 2 and 3 are the most likely. I also suspect they’ll do something similar at WDW when their Fantasmic returns.

Disney Analyst

Scott Gustin said on Twitter that Genie+ LL won’t be used for Fantasmic and WoC like FastPass/MaxPass were pre-COVID.

I’m somewhat skeptical of this. FP was really helpful for both shows. Nobody likes having to show up super early and camp out for a good viewing spot.

From Disney’s standpoint, these are the options I see:

1. Go back to first come first served for most viewing areas for both shows, and only have reserved viewing areas for dining packages.

2. Include both shows in Genie+ LL. If they did this, they would potentially need to convert some of the former FP viewing areas back to first come first served, to avoid the perception that “paying up” is the only way to get a good view.

3. Develop new functionality in the LL system / app for free FPs for nighttime entertainment.

With options 2 and 3, I’m skeptical that they would use the “Lightning Lane” name though, since there isn’t actually a “lane”, just a different viewing area. That said, modern TWDC isn’t great at naming things, so who knows.

IMO options 2 and 3 are the most likely. I also suspect they’ll do something similar at WDW when their Fantasmic returns.

They may just stick with the paper version for the shows, with the roll up machines.

Or maybe they feel they no longer need it, and will just do first come first serve?

DrAlice

Genie++ Lightning Show Viewing Ticket Pass!!! (TM)

aaronml

They may just stick with the paper version for the shows, with the roll up machines.

Or maybe they feel they no longer need it, and will just do first come first serve?
Possible, but my understanding is that the legacy FP infrastructure was retired. If they did this, they probably wouldn’t use the FP name for it, as they publicly announced that the FP system would be retired.

FWIW, Genie+ LL is apparently already being used for shows at WDW, specifically for FOTLK, so based on that, it being used for WoC and Fantasmic seems likely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom