Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Purduevian

Can anyone tell me if the rides go down at Disney do they refund G+? I have seen when 2 or 3 rides went down at the same time and did come back up before we left the park.
Rides being down during your return window are honestly the best thing that can happen to you. Disney will issue you a Multiple Experiences Pass
  1. It has no return time
  2. It can be used on the ride that was down or similar tier rides
  3. It does not count as your current LL (so you can book another one
One of my favorite "hacks" is to book a ride that is currently close if it has a near return time. One morning I had a Splash mountain booked for ~15mins after park open. About 30 minutes before park open I got an alert that it had switched to an MDE. I was able to book Space mountain for ~1hour after park open. I started the day with 2 LLs in my pocket (for 2 mountains) and adjusted my rope drop strategy to avoid big thunder (since all the splash rope droppers would end up there).

Biff215

Rides being down during your return window are honestly the best thing that can happen to you. Disney will issue you a Multiple Experiences Pass
  1. It has no return time
  2. It can be used on the ride that was down or similar tier rides
  3. It does not count as your current LL (so you can book another one
One of my favorite "hacks" is to book a ride that is currently close if it has a near return time. One morning I had a Splash mountain booked for ~15mins after park open. About 30 minutes before park open I got an alert that it had switched to an MDE. I was able to book Space mountain for ~1hour after park open. I started the day with 2 LLs in my pocket (for 2 mountains) and adjusted my rope drop strategy to avoid big thunder (since all the splash rope droppers would end up there).
This became our main strategy at Disneyland last year and it happened by chance. It was an uncommon rainy few days there and attractions were going down constantly. As soon as one would, I’d book a LL immediately and then receive the bonus any-attraction pass. It was a fun game to play and allowed us to ride several attractions multiple times.

SingleRider

What I find deplorable is often times you'll see VQ sell out for Tron or GOTG and there's still availability for Lightning Lane. Not too mention how many empty seats are being dispatched in the first and last hour of operations.
Exactly - I have had an entire train on both Guardians and Tron to myself when riding with a very early boarding group.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Genie+ at Magic Kingdom/Multiple Parks has already sold out for today (was priced at $29).

IMG_C57A66810395-1.jpeg

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Perhaps a lower limit on G+ sales to avoid having standby lanes grind to a standstill and create complete gridlock in the park?

G+ sold out daily at DHS over Xmas, yet nothing during this busy week there.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Perhaps a lower limit on G+ sales to avoid having standby lanes grind to a standstill and create complete gridlock in the park?

G+ sold out daily at DHS over Xmas, yet nothing during this busy week there.

Bob and Josh scoff at your overture and respond thusly:

Show Me The Money GIF
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Donald Duck Money GIF
Mr Krabs Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

And we found secret footage inside Bob Iger's private shower in his Burbank office:

Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Last edited by a moderator:

SamusAranX

In my opinion, the parks are too expensive. To me, the nickel and diming (more like $20-$50ing) makes a Disney vacation feel gross. Even when I have a good time at the parks, I leave feeling ripped off and taken advantage of. Genie+ only makes it worse, because it costs me more money while giving me more work and less control over how I spend my vacation.
I am extremely grateful and fortunate that the pixie pass is within my circumstances to use (my work is flexible) but even I see diminishing returns in value on that. Beyond TBA opening, there’s nothing that incentivizes me enough to extend another year.

Purduevian

Eventually you arrive at a diminishing point of G+ sales where the sheer amount of gridlock caused by multi-hour wait times will negatively impact other larger revenue generators.
I don't believe G+ sales quantity actually affects the standby line though.

Using Peter Pan as an example with it's ~800people per hour through put.
Lets also assume 0 breakdowns and G+ assumes 0 breakdowns (I don't know if this is true)
Lets also assume that 50% of the capacity of a ride is given to G+/LL and 50% to standby. (Again I don't know this ratio, but there is a ratio that G+ assumes.

G+ will distribute 400 LLs for the hour in 5 minute increments ~33 LL every 5 minutes regardless how many people actually purchase G+ for the day.

The only difference is how quickly Pan sells out for the day/how far out the return times are as there are now more people trying to get the same amount of LLs.

Unless I'm wrong and Disney actually changes the ratio of LL to Standby for the day based on purchases?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I don't believe G+ sales quantity actually affects the standby line though.

Using Peter Pan as an example with it's ~800people per hour through put.
Lets also assume 0 breakdowns and G+ assumes 0 breakdowns (I don't know if this is true)
Lets also assume that 50% of the capacity of a ride is given to G+/LL and 50% to standby. (Again I don't know this ratio, but there is a ratio that G+ assumes.

G+ will distribute 400 LLs for the hour in 5 minute increments ~33 LL every 5 minutes regardless how many people actually purchase G+ for the day.

The only difference is how quickly Pan sells out for the day/how far out the return times are as there are now more people trying to get the same amount of LLs.

Unless I'm wrong and Disney actually changes the ratio of LL to Standby for the day based on purchases?
A 1:1 ratio as described would be minimally impactful but would result in major wait times for G+ users.

The ratio is more 1:20 and only gets worse depending on how busy the ride is.

Purduevian

A 1:1 ratio as described would be minimally impactful but would result in major wait times for G+ users.

The ratio is more 1:20 and only gets worse depending on how busy the ride is.

It's like 20:1 and it fluctuates throughout the day depending on the crowd.

It fluctuates throughout the day in “phases” depending on how long the Standby queue is.
The ratio changes when things get backed up for sure... but I believe that the number of people that purchased G+ for the day is independent of the amount of LLs given out. I think there is a fixed number of LLs available per ride per day regardless of how many people buy it.

The Ratio ebs and flows because the amount of people redeeming their LL at an exact time also ebs and flows. While Pan may distribute 33LLs every 5 mins. In theory all 400 of those people might show up at the end of the hour. I'm proposing average ratio over the course of a day is standard from day to day regardless of crowd size and G+ purchases.

MagicHappens1971

The ratio changes when things get backed up for sure... but I believe that the number of people that purchased G+ for the day is independent of the amount of LLs given out. I think there is a fixed number of LLs available per ride per day regardless of how many people buy it.

The Ratio ebs and flows because the amount of people redeeming their LL at an exact time also ebs and flows. While Pan may distribute 33LLs every 5 mins. In theory all 400 of those people might show up at the end of the hour. I'm proposing average ratio over the course of a day is standard from day to day regardless of crowd size and G+ purchases.
I’m not disputing that the number of LLs issued for the day is not fixed based on capacity / staffing / what have you. Just that throughout the day the actual ratio of LL:Standby varies. That’s all I was saying, which is a fact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom