Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Jrb1979

Looking at how empty the line for that side is for most rides for most of the day on every visit I've made in the last year with an AP, while considering typical attendance and even maximum capacity in these two parks are, it would be difficult for me to imagine that even remotely close to half of them are a la carte.

It's 2,400 rooms that have access from the three hotels that are eligible. At a conservative 82% occupancy, that would be 1968 rooms. Lets say 2.5 people per room which is also low since standard rooms sleep up to 5 and almost 100 rooms are suites.

But going with what are likely low average numbers, that works out to 4,920 people.

The two parks combined have a maximum capacity of about 56,000 people which on a typical day, they never come anywhere close to hitting.

If you're a Harry Potter fan and spend a big chunk of time in those two areas, you might get the wrong impression about how many people are in the two parks, though - especially Diagon Alley.

With all that in mind, I'd find it completely believable that Express Pass usage hovers around 12-15% of total guests on most days before 4pm.*

I can't see how even remotely close to 5k people are paying for it on a typical day which is roughly what you'd need for a low estimate to call them the majority.

Frankly, I would have a hard time imagining half that doing it, most days.

The only time I ever see it start to pick up (and also when wait times tick up a bit) is in the late afternoons which is when the top tier AP holders are allowed to use it, too.

Of course, I don't go during winter break and times like this week. I'm sure the a la carte is a lot higher at the moment - maybe even as high as 30% but of course, rooms are closer to 100% capacity with more people per room, too.

That said, while value is entirely subjective, I can't see any reason for someone to pay for it outside of a handful of holiday weeks unless they can't spend a complete day because the only ride we've seen with a consistently long wait is Hagrads. Most have posted wait times of 45 minutes or less for most big chunks of the day.** Often, everything hits somewhere between 10-30 minutes posted wait time at some point.

... and almost without exception, those posted wait times are longer than the actual wait times.

I swear, a posted wait for Forbidden Journey of 20 minutes is just their estimate of how long it'll take you to walk that massive queue that they can't shorten to get to the loading platform. 🤷‍♂️

Apples and... staplers are also both things that exist and are sold. I wouldn't see the point in trying to compare them either but have at it - we'll have to agree to disagree.

*They're typically low usage is why they're able to do it without reservations and allow unlimited re-rides for the resort guests and top tier AP holders who are allowed to use it every day after 4pm.

**Velosicoaster and Gringots are two possible exceptions but both - especially Gringots also have periods with shorter waits - you just have to watch more for them. We did Gringots back-to-back 3 times around 1pm on our last visit on a Saturday about a month ago followed up by the mummy 2 times immediately after)
There is a difference in how Disney views Genie+ to how Universal views Express pass. Universal doesn't want everyone to have Express pass, hence why it's priced so high. That's also why IMO it works better then Genie+.

SingleRider

Genie+ has dropped to $25/person for April 15th.

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 35

WDWFanRay

This Genie stuff is too confusing and as the economy continues to cool and attendance keeps dropping, it’s going to make less and less sense. Disney would be better off just to raise ticket prices to what they need to be and then cut this frustrating “buy a ticket and then buy another ticket” scheme.

jannerUK

Could anyone answer the following question for me with regards to Genie+ (and with a possible screengrab to show me in anticpation of our August trip)
I understand that Virtual Queues go VERY fast. I have been keeping tabs of how it goes within seconds on these threads, so understand the need to be VERY prepared. As a first time, as of yet user of it, I want to get in the right mindset of what the page should look like and how far I can go before I click book before the 7AM drop. What should I be looking for?
On the My Disney App I can currently see Join Virtual Queue and Tron with a Blue picture logo. Underneath it states with a Pink triangle "This virtual queue is currently closed to...." and so on.
When does that physically change? Dead on 7AM? Then is it a case of refreshing the screen constantly to see it change to a different button? ~A l'a thats the race essentially.
If its not the cited above what should I be looking for?
I guess my fear is doing it wrong and being on the backfoot by 7:02AM if catch my drift.
Id rather miss it as overbooked than miss out due to my ineptness and lack of foresight! :)

As a sidenote how do I know if I have been successful post "The 7AM" race or unsuccessful.

James Alucobond

Could anyone answer the following question for me with regards to Genie+ (and with a possible screengrab to show me in anticpation of our August trip)
I understand that Virtual Queues go VERY fast. I have been keeping tabs of how it goes within seconds on these threads, so understand the need to be VERY prepared. As a first time, as of yet user of it, I want to get in the right mindset of what the page should look like and how far I can go before I click book before the 7AM drop. What should I be looking for?
On the My Disney App I can currently see Join Virtual Queue and Tron with a Blue picture logo. Underneath it states with a Pink triangle "This virtual queue is currently closed to...." and so on.
When does that physically change? Dead on 7AM? Then is it a case of refreshing the screen constantly to see it change to a different button? ~A l'a thats the race essentially.
If its not the cited above what should I be looking for?
I guess my fear is doing it wrong and being on the backfoot by 7:02AM if catch my drift.
Id rather miss it as overbooked than miss out due to my ineptness and lack of foresight! :)

As a sidenote how do I know if I have been successful post "The 7AM" race or unsuccessful.
If I recall correctly, the "This virtual queue is currently closed" text turns into a "Confirm your party" button when everything's not already gone for the day. On that screen, you can manage who in your party will be added when you successfully join the queue, and at the bottom of the screen, there will be a sticky button that alternates between "Refresh" when the queue is not yet open and "Join" when it is. Tapping "Refresh" will keep reloading the page, so you basically just hit that when the hour turns over and join. You'll immediately know whether or not you were successful as it will either fail or send you to a success screen with your boarding group and estimated time.

Riviera Rita

What I did was have the page open and ready a couple of minutes before 7am and finger poised on the join queue at 6.59. You have a good chance of getting in the queue, but, at what time is another matter, I did it three times during trip and twice got into groups in the early 80s, but, once got group 2. Be aware that it may say something like Group 80 is going to be called at 6pm which happened my first time, but, groups move fast and I ended up being called at 2.15. Just keep a regular, but, not obsessive eye on how the groups are moving.
What I would do, as you are a UK guest like me and probably there for two weeks, is not have an ADR for the same day you plan to do GOTG or Tron and risk them clashing, I did the Christmas party the first day I did the VQ and panicked wondering how I'd do GOTG then go back to my room to change and get over to the party without missing too much, but, didn't have to worry in the end, but, the stress wasn't worth it.

Riviera Rita

Individual Lightning Lane prices have also fallen back today - the previous prices had been in effect since March 11.

Rise of the resistance - $20 (previously $25)
Cosmic Rewind - $15 (previously $17)
Flight of Passage - $14 (previously $16)
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - $11 (previously $12)
Going later in the day - free.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom