Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The real steal is staying in one of Universal's deluxes and having the unlimited version of EP included in the room rate (which is still much cheaper than a Disney deluxe).
If you can afford a Disney deluxe, then $35 Genie+ should not be an issue.

The deluxe Uni hotels (with Express Pass) start at $400/night. Five nights there is $2,000.

A value hotel room at WDW is about $120/night. Add in Genie+ (at $35) for four is $140/night. Total is $260/night. Five nights is $1,300. A $700 savings.

I take issue with the idea that staying at Uni Deluxe hotels with free Express Pass is always 'cheaper' than staying at WDW and buying Genie+.

The only way that happens if you're going to stay at a deluxe at either park. And if can afford deluxe prices, the extras should be also affordable in comparison to the cost of the room.

For now.

UNCgolf

The deluxe Uni hotels (with Express Pass) start at $400/night. Five nights there is $2,000.

A value hotel room at WDW is about $120/night. Add in Genie+ (at $35) for four is $140/night. Total is $260/night. Five nights is $1,300. A $700 savings.

I take issue with the idea that staying at Uni Deluxe hotels with free Express Pass is always 'cheaper' than staying at WDW and buying Genie+.

The only way that happens if you're going to stay at a deluxe at either park. And if can afford deluxe prices, the extras should be also affordable in comparison to the cost of the room.

For now.

I didn't say anything about cheaper. I just said it was a better value compared to a Disney deluxe (the after hours are a nice perk, but not nice enough to make up for the unlimited EP and the cheaper room rate).

It's also a moot point if Universal doesn't offer what you want. I had fun at Universal, but they only have a handful of attractions that are actually interesting/fun to me and I'm not in any rush to go back. WDW's attraction lineup (not to mention other things) is vastly superior to Universal's for me personally.

Disney Dad 3000

For now.

Agreed. I always dislike the comparisons of G+ vs Express Pass. I do see the perceived benefit of getting Express Pass at those deluxe hotels at Uni, but when we travel (summer, early December, January, or sometimes October) I don't recall seeing $400 a night for those rooms so don't have the option of taking advantage. Express seems to have pushed 200/night during these peak times too.

We looked into a few nights at Uni in June after our DCL (and still may instead of WDW), but the cheapest Deluxe is Royal Pacific at $654 per night with Hard Rock and Portofino $730 plus. Over at WDW we can do WL/AKL/Yacht 400-450 per night, though even that's higher than I'd prefer. We are far better off if we do Uni staying at one of their really solid moderates and eschewing Express Pass, using the hour of early entry, etc.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The bargain way to use Uni Deluxe/Express...

1. Plan on one night stay at the cheapest Uni/Deluxe room you can find.​
2. Show up very early in the morning and have bell services hold your bags.​
3. Head to the Uni parks with early entry and make use of Express pass all day.​
4. At the end of the day, get your bags from bell services and go to your room and sleep.​
5. On day 2, get up early, check out, have bell services hold your bags.​
6. Head to the Uni parks with early entry and make use of Express pass all day.​
7. At the end of the day, get your bags from bell services and head out to your next destination.​

This way, you get two full days of Express Pass for your group at the cost of just one night at a deluxe.

Disstevefan1

It's going to outpace express pass at Universal sometime in the next few years.
Consider this, is it possible Genie+ will cost more express pass and we end with a worse product and paying more?

Probably not, if Genie+ goes that high, express pass will go higher.

Every time Disney increases prices this gives permission to all the other theme parks to raise their prices.

Disstevefan1

The bargain way to use Uni Deluxe/Express...

1. Plan on one night stay at the cheapest Uni/Deluxe room you can find.​
2. Show up very early in the morning and have bell services hold your bags.​
3. Head to the Uni parks with early entry and make use of Express pass all day.​
4. At the end of the day, get your bags from bell services and go to your room and sleep.​
5. On day 2, get up early, check out, have bell services hold your bags.​
6. Head to the Uni parks with early entry and make use of Express pass all day.​
7. At the end of the day, get your bags from bell services and head out to your next destination.​

This way, you get two full days of Express Pass for your group at the cost of just one night at a deluxe.
We did exactly that.
We stayed one night at Portofino and used express pass twice; on check in day and check out day.

hopemax

And don't forget that a Power Pass only costs $374.99+tax. The only blockout days for that pass, are the days you wouldn't want to be there anyway (Christmas, NY, Easter). For a sample dates, weekdays in mid-May, you can get a room at RPR which regular rate is $442, the AP rate is $289. Checking the price of the a 2 day, park to park ticket for the same date is about $330. So pay about $50 more for the pass to save $153/night.

CAV

Universal Orlando's Express Pass starts at $89.99, so I agree that's where Disney is headed. I'm sure there are tons of complaints flooding Guest Services right now from people who are upset they can't buy Genie+ for Disney to justify a further price increase to improve the "guest experience".

I have no problem with Disney trying to find a price point where only 30% of people buy it and no one is upset they didn't buy Genie+. However, there are three reasons this won't happen:
  1. Most if not all of the "how to go to Disney" articles/blogs/videos/etc. are telling people they need to buy Genie+ to have a good experience, which creates artificial and inelastic demand
  2. Lightning Lane is heavily preferenced over Standby when it comes to merging the queues. This further enhances the belief that Genie+ is required to have a good experience, further increasing demand
  3. Disney has covered their collective butts by disclaiming the average guest receives 2-3 Lightning Lane passes per day, which allows them to wave away complaints from guests who had a poor experience with Genie+
A gallon of gas is $3.50. Chanel #5 is $160.00 for 3.5 ounces. Stop comparing the two because they are completely different products.

Patcheslee

And don't forget that a Power Pass only costs $374.99+tax. The only blockout days for that pass, are the days you wouldn't want to be there anyway (Christmas, NY, Easter). For a sample dates, weekdays in mid-May, you can get a room at RPR which regular rate is $442, the AP rate is $289. Checking the price of the a 2 day, park to park ticket for the same date is about $330. So pay about $50 more for the pass to save $153/nignight
We ended up with APs and had an AP discount at Hard Rock in June 2021. Even after the discount, Express Pass for the 3 of us purchased separately would have cost us more than a room itself. More important: we could buy EP early when cheaper months away, but if we need to cancel we're out money.
Genie+ still have 2 months before we get to try, but hopefully we can make it work.

mattpeto

As crazy as that sounds, I think realistically they could easily go to somewhere around $75, and peak to $99.
This is really a delicate balance.

Was the original FastPass created as a service to strictly benefit guests or to get them essentially in virtual queues so they can shop and buy food? I've always heard it was more than the latter (spend $), which if that's true they want Genie+ subscriber % to be at a certain threshold per day and they are playing strictly with supply/demand numbers.

We all know that if they priced out to the point where most guests didn't get it, it would help Standby queues substantially. But that's not likely the metrics Disney Park Ops is looking for...

This is somewhat in the same mindset of cutting Magical Express decision: Just one meal or visiting a non Disney attraction outside the Bubble makes cutting DME likely a costly mistake. Disney's gamble is "guests will stay in the Bubble anyway".

Last edited:

SingleRider

Genie+ is still priced at $35 for April 5.

Attachments

• B2A413EA-22D9-4C2E-B90D-C6D03BF76302.jpeg
    B2A413EA-22D9-4C2E-B90D-C6D03BF76302.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 39

LittleBuford

This is where I link to that glorious Fastpass 1 hour video and try to beat it into FP fans head that it actually was worse with FP.
A video can’t contradict the many positive experiences I personally had using the old system. Perhaps on some objective level it was worse for more people (though I remain to be convinced on that point), but for me, it was wonderful.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
A video can’t contradict the many positive experiences I personally had using the old system. Perhaps on some objective level it was worse for more people (though I remain to be convinced on that point), but for me, it was wonderful.
The old fastpass+ system wasn’t able to be used much by off property guests because they couldn’t reserve 60 days in advance. Now they evened the playing field other than ILLs. Just another perk taken away from on property guests sadly.

As much as I don’t like Genie+ and spend way more time on my phone during the day than I would like, I have learned how to best use it to get the most out of it. The modify button is also your friend (iykyk) :)

LittleBuford

The old fastpass+ system wasn’t able to be used much by off property guests because they couldn’t reserve 60 days in advance.
I was always an off-property guest and made very efficient use of the system. I’m not trying to convince others that they should have liked FP+ if they didn’t, merely pointing out that some of us were true fans who did very well out of it.

Purduevian

Yes and no. In theory, EP is way better because you get to use it on basically all of the rides, whereas with G+ you may only get to use it on a handful of rides. That said, unlike with G+ and the Lightning Lane, the waits with EP can still be relatively long, even approaching 30-45 minutes. Add to that, as you said, I have seen the EP cost as much as around $150, obviously significantly more expensive that G+.
Unlimited express pass for park to park is $349.99 this Friday.
The potential wait time is the only issue with EP, but the one time I had it every ride was less than a 10 minute wait and most were walk-ons.

Even with the potential for a wait the benefits still dramatically outweigh anything Genie+ offers, though -- no scheduling a time in advance and only being able to use it for a handful of rides. Plus, Genie+ sometimes has 15-20 minute waits too.
It really depends on luck/time of year since USO has no control over how many people jump into the Express Lane at a given time. The official stance is that EP should be half the wait of Standby or less. Crazily enough last time I used EP the worst offender was the High in the Sky Suess trolley. Standby 45 minute posted wait. I waited 25 minutes in express. On the other side, Forbidden journey was a posted 60, but was a walk on.

Touchdown

Here’s another great feature of Express Pass at Universal, ready?

If you get in the Express line and notice it’s uncharacteristically long you can, wait for it, leave that line and come back later when it’s shorter.

Most of the time, another ride will have a shorter wait and most long express lines are only temporary.

Disstevefan1

Here’s another great feature of Express Pass at Universal, ready?

If you get in the Express line and notice it’s uncharacteristically long you can, wait for it, leave that line and come back later when it’s shorter.

Most of the time, another ride will have a shorter wait and most long express lines are only temporary.
In my opinion this is the best thing about express pass; there is no planning, no app, no getting up at 7AM and hoping you can get something. Just freedom.

You walk up to any express pass line at any time you wish. It’s magical 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom