Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Cruiseline works because they didn’t really commit to them.

Until April…they had 4 rather small ships. All were horribly outdated…the wonder pathetically so.

Their competitors - or the most comparable ones - are sailing fleets or 20+ of modernized “mega ships”

Not carnival…don’t get confused there 🤪

So in that case their name pull…”demand”…allows them to sell at higher prices because of undersized “supply”

That is much more of an Econ 002 situation.
Woof, I'd rather sail on the Magic than the Odyssey of the Season any day of the week.

lazyboy97o

Eh, maybe, but I think attractions per guest per hour is a crappy metric anyways. In an hour I can ride Kilimanjaro Safaris once (including queue time), or Prince Charming's Carousel ten times. The former is going to leave me much happier.
Which is why it’s not a static figure. Smaller scale means a higher count, bigger scale can justify a lower count. What other metric should be the basis of design for a park?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
dumb, glorified carnies.
billionaire-strut-vince-mcmahon.gif

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Which is why it’s not a static figure. Smaller scale means a higher count, bigger scale can justify a lower count. What other metric should be the basis of design for a park?
Minutes of guest satisfaction per hour.

A 20 minute attraction that is rated 88% excellent is better than a 20 minute attraction that is rated 62% excellent or a 5 minute attraction that is rated 88% excellent.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Nothing onboard a Disney ship beyond people loving the “Disney ness” of it is superior.
The crew and the passengers are superior.

I'll pay extra to weed out a decent chunk of the alcoholics, the college students, the gamblers, the smokers, the buffet-squatters, and the ancient.

Also, my kids are 7, 4, and 2, so the value of the "Disney-ness" is not just brand loyalty, it manifests in tangible ways.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The crew and the passengers are superior.

I'll pay extra to weed out a decent chunk of the alcoholics, the college students, the gamblers, the smokers, the buffet-squatters, and the ancient.

Also, my kids are 7, 4, and 1, so the value of the "Disney-ness" is not just brand loyalty, it manifests in tangible ways.
The passengers…because of the typecast?

Maybe

Crew, food, service? No.
Amenities no.

Certainly tradeoffs. We went when the kids were little and it served that purpose well. But for the other 90% of life?? Not so much.

I don’t hate dcl at all. But it is not superior.

Debate for another place and time though.

WDWFanRay

Disney tends to have one CEO who builds (Eisner and Iger) and then in between, they put in CEO’s who cut (Pressler and Chapek) Hopefully, they’ll move on to a builder asap. Pressler and Chapek were/are penny wise and pound foolish, in my opinion

fgmnt

It is amazing to me though how quickly even casual observers have been blaming Chapek for everything wrong with Disney, even though some of his faults can be traced back to parks management in the mid-90s. Paul Pressler had a notorious reputation within the fan community, but outside of it no one ever heard of him. Chapek? Even your relatives know who he is and don't think much of him.

He's been CEO for less than 3 years and the public hates him more than they ever did Iger or even Eisner in his later years.
I bang this drum to whoever will listen: the current CEO is not blameless, he’s not a victim, and he fundamentally lacks the capacity to understand the potential of the company he is in charge of, but he is a product of his environment.

The death of Frank Wells, the wet fart of Euro Disneyland, and the Capital Cities merger created enough entropy in what had been the most successful corporate turnaround into american history into an entity ransacked of its creativity like Troy and the infamous hollow horse.

Eisner knew this. For all of his faults at the end, he knew what would happen the minute the MBAs got a stranglehold on this company, and he was proven right.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney tends to have one CEO who builds (Eisner and Iger) and then in between, they put in CEO’s who cut (Pressler and Chapek) Hopefully, they’ll move on to a builder asap. Pressler and Chapek were/are penny wise and pound foolish, in my opinion
You’re point is taken…but I think you got some titles wrong there…

The gap never owned Disney 😎

ToTBellHop

In a Disney conference room:
“Genie+ isn’t well liked and too many are trying to use it because they feel like they have to in order to experience the parks like they used to which makes it less beneficial. How can we fix genie+?”

Disney suits:
“Oh I know…easy…just raise the price!”
You are being extremely unfair and I’m getting sick of it. They raised the price while also rolling out menu updates at the Grand Floridian. So yeah.

lazyboy97o

Value of what?

Minutes of guest satisfaction per hour.

A 20 minute attraction that is rated 88% excellent is better than a 20 minute attraction that is rated 62% excellent or a 5 minute attraction that is rated 88% excellent.
How do you measure satisfaction before something exists? Very few attractions are built thinking people won’t like it.

JAN J

See my post immediately preceding this one.

They do get it. If demand were expected to stay where it is or increase, they'd be building now for 3 years from now. But I think they think that demand 3 years from now will be in the toilet. You don't build for what you think demand IS, you build for what you think demand WILL BE.
Then maybe they don't get it. Or they get it wrong.

Because of they predicted / assumed 3 years ago that demand would be this high (“it’s all up to the consumer. If consumer demand keeps up then we act accordingly”), they would now be delivering new attractions and adding capacity.

And here's another quote: “for all visibility we have into the future, we’re not seeing any softening of our demand.” Then where are the announcements to address that?

The truth is it's cheaper and faster to just change price. They will not move to make the experience any less expensive or any more entertaining out of the kindness of their hearts.

And that is why we should hope for Epic Universe to really be an EPIC success.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Then maybe they don't get it. Or they get it wrong.

Because of they predicted / assumed 3 years ago that demand would be this high (“it’s all up to the consumer. If consumer demand keeps up then we act accordingly”), they would now be delivering new attractions and adding capacity.
Three years ago they announced plans to gut and completely rebuild half of Epcot.

Gee, I wonder if anything was different in 2020 and 2021 than it was in 2019.

Ignoring the impact of COVID on the hospitality and tourism industry is just about the biggest clown comment you can make.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom