Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

DisneyDodo

This is

And if you had been unable to get a VQ for Rise yesterday you would not be able to ride. Once this is in place, if you do not get a VQ you will not be able to ride.

Those two are the same- no difference. The difference comes that you have a new option 'available' you did not have to jump the VQ and get on board for a fee. Today you have no way to solve the lack of a VQ for Rise, when this is in place you will have an 'option' to decide how much you want to ride It that you do not have today. You are not forced to pay the extra for rise if you do not get a VQ slot you do not ride- exactly as it is today.
It's important to consider that fewer people will get the BG for RotR because they will have to allocate some percentage of the capacity for paid LL. It's not like the paid option is just on top of what they have now - what they have now will be scaled back to accommodate the new option.

JusticeDisney

Yes, that's the very definition of a NON-ISSUE.

Do you normally get all wound up over stuff that is not really a problem? There are many solutions Disney can implement that will not cause friction. It's not a concern for someone worrying about the new system.

Occam's Razor dude...

All Disney needs to do is identify the impacted parties... which ARE ALL USING SMARTPHONES and PAID VIA MDE. Disney can easily hand them a code they can redeem for another LP... or the code could be a token to authorize a refund (when matched with a valid purchase on the backend)... or Disney could allow guests to request a refund in the App and then use the data in the backend to approve people based on redemptions, known downtimes, etc. And Disney can even do it automatically via the backend when there are wider impacting outages.

This is a non-issue. It's almost like people have forgotten they already did this for FP+... the fact there is money involved really changes nothing because its'a all within Disney's payment system.

It's a non-issue.
It’s not a non-issue simply because you say it is. I agree with you that there seems to be a reasonable solution, but if you think that there is no doubt that Disney will always act reasonably - particularly when it comes to their finances - then you haven’t been paying very close attention to how Disney seems to do things lately. Also, even though a refund seems very reasonable to you and me, it may be that Disney decides that instead of issuing a refund, they will do something different like offer additional lightning lane “passes” free of charge. Again, it’s not a foregone conclusion as to how they will seek to resolve these types of issues, and it’s totally possible that the solution that they do end up offering might not be acceptable to a particular guest.

Of course, even with all of this said, I’m still a bit confused as to why you are repeatedly taking this point up with me, as opposed to the person who actually made the point in the first place. Oh wait, never mind, I know exactly why…..

Yert3

When this system is brought online, it would be very interesting to hear people's experiences without it. For example, if someone spends all day at MK, from rope drop to close, on a mid-week day in November, and does not pay any extra, how many attractions did they fit in, what was their average wait time, and how would that compare to a similar day two years ago with FP+.
I was able to do every single attraction in the Magic Kingdom in one day, and a fairly busy one at that, with no FastPass whatsoever. Didn’t even make a strategy, I just when in order of what was listed on the guidemap. I wish I still lived in Orlando. I’d love to be able to try that experiment again after this system is implemented.

TrainsOfDisney

On a personal level I do not know a single person that did not like the old 3free Fp system. I have read that people did not like online, but I do not know anyone personally and I must know at least 25 AP holder from my FL neighborhood, they are all mad about this.

I didn’t like the old pre-plan system but I definitely don’t like this.

Making attractions like Rise and Rat essentially extra charge attractions is really devious.

Sandurz

Has there been specific information on how the timing of a la carte works? I feel like it’s not “buy this time slot” but “pay to enter right now” which takes most of the breakdown problems out of the equation

flynnibus

Premium Member
Remember... if Disney is gonna sell this $15 option to the majority of the guests... Disney does NOT want the situation where the majority of guests pay, then get frustrated they didn't get any use out of it because there was no LL availability. That is worst case scenario for Disney.

Rather than open all availability at once and let it be depleted, Disney will be motivated to use more rolling availability. Remember, Disney controls the flow of information to you via MDE/Genie and it's signboards. Through the magic of push, Disney can let you know that XYZ ride now has availability an hour from now... do you want in?? And not only that, Disney can manipulate who it tells when... based on your inputs and past actions.

This is not going to be the scenario like boarding groups where everything is booked out in 1 minute. Disney only serves to LOSE in those kinds of situations. If the product can't return value - Disney will have a hard time selling it. So it's in Disney's interest to keep LL availability open more frequently.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I have found this on Twitter. It seems there is a petition against Bob. We have signed it. I think we must change this situation. Pricing FP is unfair and discriminatory. Disney is not only for rich people #saveDisney #firechapek

Disney is a business, selling a product and are within their rights to price that product any way they see fit. It is not an entitlement that should be available to everyone whether they can afford the product or not.

If a consumer is unhappy with the price they choose to charge, they are totally within their rights to choose someone else's product and buy that. But despite the Disney Internet Rage machine that spun into overdrive yesterday, I really do not expect this to have any negative impact on attendance in the parks. Every time Disney changes the fundamentals of the visit experience, the experienced guests who learned to manipulate the old system to their advantage go into a rage threatening to never return. Then they go back anyway, use the new tool and found out that while different- it's not nearly as horrible as they predicted.
Stop comparing it to what you've learned to optimize of the years and reset to zero and just look at this as the way to visit WDW. It will likely introduce a lot less stress into your trip.

For most people it's no different than adding MaxPass from Disneyland onto your ticket and then go on with your day.

lazyboy97o

Remember... if Disney is gonna sell this $15 option to the majority of the guests... Disney does NOT want the situation where the majority of guests pay, then get frustrated they didn't get any use out of it because there was no LL availability. That is worst case scenario for Disney.

Rather than open all availability at once and let it be depleted, Disney will be motivated to use more rolling availability. Remember, Disney controls the flow of information to you via MDE/Genie and it's signboards. Through the magic of push, Disney can let you know that XYZ ride now has availability an hour from now... do you want in?? And not only that, Disney can manipulate who it tells when... based on your inputs and past actions.

This is not going to be the scenario like boarding groups where everything is booked out in 1 minute. Disney only serves to LOSE in those kinds of situations. If the product can't return value - Disney will have a hard time selling it. So it's in Disney's interest to keep LL availability open more frequently.
Which was also the case with FastPass+, which is why that system had more attractions than FastPass, regardless of how they mucked up operations, and increased the ratio of FastPasses offered.

draybook

I know nobody cares, least of all Disney, but I'm just about done. I've sold off some DVC points, I'll be selling off more, and this will be my last annual pass.

It's not even the cost. The whole thing has become too tedious and I'm tired of being treated like a wallet.

Yeah, my wife and I were just talking. Next month will be our last trip for a while.

Disney is a business, selling a product and are within their rights to price that product any way they see fit. It is not an entitlement that should be available to everyone whether they can afford the product or not.

If a consumer is unhappy with the price they choose to charge, they are totally within their rights to choose someone else's product and buy that. But despite the Disney Internet Rage machine that spun into overdrive yesterday, I really do not expect this to have any negative impact on attendance in the parks. Every time Disney changes the fundamentals of the visit experience, the experienced guests who learned to manipulate the old system to their advantage go into a rage threatening to never return. Then they go back anyway, use the new tool and found out that while different- it's not nearly as horrible as they predicted.
Stop comparing it to what you've learned to optimize of the years and reset to zero and just look at this as the way to visit WDW. It will likely introduce a lot less stress into your trip.

For most people it's no different than adding MaxPass from Disneyland onto your ticket and then go on with your day.
should we also file a petition to fire the CEO of the Lamborghini company (pretty sure that is not the name of the company) because we all can’t afford lambos

You're right it is a business and for this reason they have a relation with de audience. There are many people who are disagree with Bob. The quality of Disney has decreased a lot but prices are higher. Disney is not Bob and his colleagues. Disney is people and fans who spend money. We want quality in our vacation. We don't want a rip-off. If you disagree, you don't have to sign the petition. If your are rich, good for you and congratulations. I belong to a normal family and I like Disney but I want quality

disneygeek90

I know we're all kinda just throwing our thoughts and questions into the void here... but I wonder what this does for attractions that never really needed FP+? Will Nemo just return to standby only or will that still be a Genie+ option ??

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does this mean you could not book a LL for a top attraction without shelling out the additional $15 for even having access to Genie+?

Does Genie without a plus even exist?

For the new top tier rides (it seems to be 2 per park for now), like 7DMT, you have these options:
  • Standby
  • Purchase a LL$ (Individual Selection Lightning Lane) for some undetermined price for now

For the new top tier rides where are also a Boarding Group VQ (RotR, Rat) you have these options:
  • Join the lottery at 7 AM (free)
  • Purchase a LL$ (Individual Selection Lightning Lane) for some undetermined price for now

For almost all other rides (HM, BTMR, PPF, DINOSAUR, etc..), they have a Lightning Lane (previously called FastPass Queue), and your options are:
  • Standby
  • Purchase Genie+ for $15 per day per person, and you can schedule a LL one-at-a-time throughout the day

Disney Analyst

I have found this on Twitter. It seems there is a petition against Bob. We have signed it. I think we must change this situation. Pricing FP is unfair and discriminatory. Disney is not only for rich people #saveDisney #firechapek

You have every right to feel upset, and I don’t want to take that away from you…

But yeah… not this. It’s not discriminatory. Making claims like this does a great disservice to actual discrimination and issues faced by people in the world.

This is a first world problem, something so negligible in the grand scheme that it doesn’t even warrant a blip on the radar.

KBLovedDisney

Just out of observation:

Yes, Disney is a business.

This business and the head of it realizes now more so than ever that people will pay stupid amounts of money just to be in the immersive parks if from nostalgia of what once existed or just to get into the 'out-of-touch' reality feel.

This business is now taking ^that concept^ and running wild with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom