Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I think things will get more extreme with this new system, that the crowded days you will be very limited, not much beyond your prebooked 3 and then slow days you will be able to get a bunch

But we shall see - maybe they really push up the price on peak crowd days to try to reduce use
if they'd just build a lot more things in each park to select from, it would be more valuable... but then less people would probably buy it... so it's a line Disney is walking... they can't build too much where people spread out and not buy this money making machine for ol Bobby

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think things will get more extreme with this new system, that the crowded days you will be very limited, not much beyond your prebooked 3 and then slow days you will be able to get a bunch

But we shall see - maybe they really push up the price on peak crowd days to try to reduce use
I think this is almost guaranteed to happen. We will find out in November with Thanksgiving crowds.

It’s hard to judge right now too because there were not 7 day pre-books for today. The earliest you could have bought and booked is yesterday. It’s possible people half way through a trip don’t see the value if they rode a bunch of stuff earlier in the trip. Some guests may not have even realized it changed over. In a few weeks we should have a good idea if the availability continues or not.

ConfettiCupcake

Just checked for MK and if I bought LLMP right now I could select Jungle Cruise as my Tier 1 and Pirates and Space Ranger Spin for my Tier 2s (quite a bit of options for tier 2 other than HM)

The posted wait times for those 3 are 40mins, 25, and 25

That's not terrible for someone who didn't bother to prebook. And if they decide not worth it, don't buy it. Standby times really aren't bad right now - longest is Mine Train at 55 mins

Definitely what one should expect if they don’t pre book and don’t refresh or anything. That’s very similar to a mid afternoon in the days of FP+. I would never expect a system that allows everybody to book 3-7 days in advance - except our international friends, to have 3 in demand options available in the afternoon all together for booking.

With the way I expect to use this system though for the 4th and beyond, it’s disappointing that rides with such short wait times are either sold out or pushed hours and hours later. Maybe the short waits and sold out attractions mean that they are keeping the inventory artificially low right now.

Vegas Disney Fan

Just checked for MK and if I bought LLMP right now I could select Jungle Cruise as my Tier 1 and Pirates and Space Ranger Spin for my Tier 2s (quite a bit of options for tier 2 other than HM)

The posted wait times for those 3 are 40mins, 25, and 25

That's not terrible for someone who didn't bother to prebook. And if they decide not worth it, don't buy it. Standby times really aren't bad right now - longest is Mine Train at 55 mins
We’ll be watching wait times closely prior to our trip in January, if I spend an extra $200 each for LLs and then the lines are reasonable I’m going to be just as frustrated that I bought it as I’ll be if I don’t buy it and then lines are long.

What’s sad is we enjoy Seven Dwarfs but it isn’t worth $11 each to us so I already know we just won’t ride that ride, same is likely true of Tron at $20 each, hoping for a VQ but if we don’t get one we’ll skip it, it’s almost as if those rides no longer exist in the park for us.

Dranth

It’s not surprising they are unconcerned with the new system not allowing a small group of users to stack reservations for the evening. They want you in the parks spending money while you wait for your return time.
They want your money, I am not sure they care if it is the park or the resort as a whole but encouraging people to spend more time in the parks will come at a cost for the rest of the resort.

Using MK for example, I will spend significantly less if I stay at the park all day vs. spending part of the day there and the rest doing things around the resorts.

JIMMYEDDIE

In an earlier post, you were arguing using the unstated assumption that rope-droppers would get early return times for their 3 pre-selects and eat up all the inventory before people arriving later could use their 1st pick. Now you're arguing that it's not realistic to assume that someone could get 3 early return times and book a 4th in another park.
correct......Look 7 days out from today, tell me what is sold out....what if thats ur only day in that park?

Why is that so hard to understand?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They want your money, I am not sure they care if it is the park or the resort as a whole but encouraging people to spend more time in the parks will come at a cost for the rest of the resort.

Using MK for example, I will spend significantly less if I stay at the park all day vs. spending part of the day there and the rest doing things around the resorts.
True, assuming you are at the resort and spending money somewhere else. Some people may have been at work stacking their fast passes for the evening when they swing by after work. Some people may have been at Universal or Sea World or somewhere else off property doing the same.

easyrowrdw

with 2 ILL's, first pick and VQ, you would have up to 4 pre booked and then eligible to book an additional pick 2 hours after park opened or if you used ur pick, while preserving inventory
I wonder how many guests booked multiple ILLs and bought G+. Personally, if I was buying G+, I didn't also pay for an ILL, much less two. I want to do all the rides, but I'm only willing to spend so much 😂
The risk with only 1 prebook is there’d still be experienced users getting a half dozen rides while inexperienced users only got 1.

Purely (jaded) speculation but I think the sole reason behind the 3 prebooks is so buyers feel they “get their moneys worth”. I don’t think modern Disney cares at all about their guests experience anymore but they do care that those guests don’t ask for a refund, the 3 prebooks should accomplish that goal.
Yeah. Getting 4 pre-booked rides in JIMMYEDDIE's scenario is going to cost a lot more than 4 pre-booked rides in the system they've just implemented (3MLL + VQ). If an average guest will be happy having 4 pre-booked rides at MLL prices, then I could see this being a positive for them. And if someone was willing to pay for G+ and 2 ILLs now they'll get 6 rides pre-booked. I can see why people would like that too.

osian

With the way I expect to use this system though for the 4th and beyond, it’s disappointing that rides with such short wait times are either sold out or pushed hours and hours later. Maybe the short waits and sold out attractions mean that they are keeping the inventory artificially low right now.
TBH that's the only way this system can be anywhere near fair. Reduce the number of LLs handed out and increase the standby/LL ratio accordingly. So that people who don't get the onsite perks, or those who are onsite but have been deliberately blocked from using the system because of where they live, are not disadvantaged too much.

Having a perk or incentive is one thing to make your experience better, but it shouldn't mean at the expense of someone
else's experience. It's like you're paying extra to make someone else's holiday that bit less enjoyable.

Saskdw

TBH that's the only way this system can be anywhere near fair. Reduce the number of LLs handed out and increase the standby/LL ratio accordingly. So that people who don't get the onsite perks, or those who are onsite but have been deliberately blocked from using the system because of where they live, are not disadvantaged too much.

Having a perk or incentive is one thing to make your experience better, but it shouldn't mean at the expense of someone
else's experience. It's like you're paying extra to make someone else's holiday that bit less enjoyable.
IMO someone who books a Disney vacation package at their resorts should have a better experience than someone staying at an Airbnb up the street. If Disney did a better job of giving perks to onsite guests their resorts wouldn't be empty right now.

JD80

Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not... I know the system isn't mature yet, but in just 5 refreshes lets see what I can pull in MK ~1:30pm:
Attempt 1: 6:35PM pirates
Attempt 2: Nothing Great
Attempt 3: Nothing Great
Attempt 4: 3:20Pm Pirates
Attempt 5: 9:15 BTMRR (was sold out)

The later in the day, the more modifying it takes, but inventory is constantly changing.

Was making a joke! Sorry.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting review of day 1 of MLL at DHS on Blog Mickey:

In summary they were able to book 3 of the 4 tier 1 attractions with RnRC not available due to operational issues. In addition to SDD, MMRR and SR they also got 5 additional reservations: ToT, StarTours, TSMM, Alien Saucers and Frozen Sing Along. So 7 rides and a show. They arrived at 9:30 and last reservation was 6:30-7:30. It was not a high crowd day yesterday. One takeaway is it is possible to get all of the available tier 1 attractions in 1 day with the new system. Something that some people thought would not be possible.

JD80

I didn't like the 7am scramble the morning of, but the modify feature they later added imo was a huge improvement...allowing me to pretty much find what I wanted whenever I wanted if you tried hard enough. If they would have just changed it to 1 prebook each day of your trip I would have been ok with that. No system is ever going to work well with some many rules and so few selections to choose from

I was at WDW in the middle of my vacation when the modify feature went in. It was pretty awesome.

For me personally? If I can get a decent 3 prebook then get 1 maybe 2 other rides at MK then I'm happy with this. Why?
  1. I don't have to wake up and start scrambling.
  2. I don't have to wake up and potentially have my day messed up because my first LL messed up my "plans". I don't like feels bad moments first thing in the morning.
  3. If I know I have 3 and know I'll only get 1 or 2 more I don't have to work the system to maximize it. I can just relax on vacation. Imagine that.

JD80

That describes G+. Last year during my December trip that was what I got with G+ at MK.

ConfettiCupcake

I was at WDW in the middle of my vacation when the modify feature went in. It was pretty awesome.

For me personally? If I can get a decent 3 prebook then get 1 maybe 2 other rides at MK then I'm happy with this. Why?
  1. I don't have to wake up and start scrambling.
  2. I don't have to wake up and potentially have my day messed up because my first LL messed up my "plans". I don't like feels bad moments first thing in the morning.
  3. If I know I have 3 and know I'll only get 1 or 2 more I don't have to work the system to maximize it. I can just relax on vacation. Imagine that.

5-6 feels like my magic number as well, not including any LLSP. I come at it from the angle of cost per ride. Upwards of $10 per ride or so or higher, and I don’t feel like that’s good enough value for saving some time on what are largely the mid range atttactions. Similar logic as to why I personally won’t pay for LLSP on most rides, although those are arguably their top tier rides.

A big issue with Genie+ for me was your whole day hinging on getting an early enough time for that first ride if you were not planning on stacking. That’s an aspect I’m happy to lose.

Purduevian

The truth of the matter is the average LLMP user will get the same number of LLs as the average G+ user. Capacity remained constant through this change.

Some groups will now get more/better LLs than G+
Some groups will now get less/worse LLs than G+

It's a closed system.

I personally feel like this is going level the playing field as everyone that books can get at least 3 good ones.

Dranth

The truth of the matter is the average LLMP user will get the same number of LLs as the average G+ user. Capacity remained constant through this change.

Some groups will now get more/better LLs than G+
Some groups will now get less/worse LLs than G+

It's a closed system.

I personally feel like this is going level the playing field as everyone that books can get at least 3 good ones.
I really don't understand the sentiment that this is somehow a more level playing field. It is the exact opposite in my mind. Everyone was treated the same under G+. With this if you stay on site you have an advantage over those that don't. If you have a longer stay you have an advantage over those with a shorter stay. If you get to the parks early you have an advantage over those that don't.

NONE of those advantages existed under G+, or at least not to the degree they do now.

Now if you think those people should get more for their money than others fine, but that is not a level field.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom