Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
I get you have to pay for it, but that will never go away.
NO! It should go away. For what we're paying to get IN to the park, it should be free, just like it was for years and years before. I genuinely don't think I can afford to go there and use this system.

Can I wait in the standby lines and not use this? Without waiting in extremely long lines all day?

Also, making it free again would be the ultimate gesture of goodwill to a fanbase that desperately needs it right now.

georgep148

So this change comes into effect halfway through our trip and there’s one thing I can’t figure out based on the language they’ve used. Is July 24th the first day the new system will be used AND the first day you’re able to start booking in advance? Or will the 7 and 3 day advance rules be in place from the start? I don’t know how they’d integrate it all into the app but in theory, because of our date based tickets and even though we’re not staying at a Disney resort, we should be able to book well in advance. I imagine at launch this won’t be the case though?

hopemax

It depends on how many people buy. If the same number of people buy into this system who were previously buying into the original genie+ system then the same number of slots will be used unless under the original people regularly only got to 2 rides a day or less which should not have been the case on any but the busiest days. Under FP+ everyone booked 3 rides a day but I would assume far less people will participate in this.
On one hand, convenience increases demand. That’s just a psychological part of life. So the people who were turned off by 7AM, or waking up every day, or not knowing how many “good” rides you would actually get at a time that would work for your family, can potentially be buyers.

However, the real problem is that even with tiers, there are going to be pinch points. The most in demand rides, with the lowest capacities. Once those spots are allocated, things get messy real quick for anyone else.

Currently, at park opening, a person can’t simultaneously be holding a LL for Slinky Dog at 2pm, Tower of Terror at 10am and TSMM at 11am. Soon they will be able to, which will have an effect on other theoretical LL users. There is now one fewer spots for TOT and TSMM. Multiply that out 1000s of times. A LL user whose #1 attraction is NOT Slinky Dog, could be pretty confident they would get a decent return time in the current system, this makes it harder because people with 14 day, on-site stays might have already grabbed it before they even had a chance. The effect will to be to turn more attractions into the rapidly disappearing slots situation of Slinky Dog.

Basically, current: everyone not wanting the top demand attraction should have success with their Ride #1 selection. And because their return times were probably earlier than the people holding a LL for the top demand ride, they got first crack at Ride #2. Soon: people successfully achieving access to the top demand ride (by booking early) will also succeed in getting a good ride #2, and #3. Classic “the rich get richer.” But their newfound wealth came at someone else’s expense because ToT and TSMM weren’t dispatching empty seats.

Or an imperfect analogy, they are turning a snake fantasy sports draft where in a 10 team league, the person with the 10th pick also gets the 11th, and 1st gets the 20th. And turning it into a system where the person picking #1 overall (onsite 14 day trip person) is also first to pick 2 more players. If your the 10th pick (theoretical 3-day, or ‘day of’ selector) 30 players will be off the board before you can pick even one.

The key for Disney is how does this affect satisfaction scores. IMO, a small amount of people will be super happy because they got everything, more or less when they wanted it, while everyone else will unhappily be looking at a pile of mismatched puzzle pieces.

nickys

Premium Member
So this change comes into effect halfway through our trip and there’s one thing I can’t figure out based on the language they’ve used. Is July 24th the first day the new system will be used AND the first day you’re able to start booking in advance? Or will the 7 and 3 day advance rules be in place from the start? I don’t know how they’d integrate it all into the app but in theory, because of our date based tickets and even though we’re not staying at a Disney resort, we should be able to book well in advance. I imagine at launch this won’t be the case though?
Pretty sure it’s been confirmed that those with visits from the 24th will be able to buy and pre-book 7 or 3 days ahead, depending on where you stay.

So you should be able to book on the 21st for the 24th., 25th & 26th if you have a date based ticket.
If you don’t then you’ll have to do it day by day.

Last edited:

georgep148

Pretty sure it’s been confirmed that those with visits from the 24th will be able to buy and pre-book 7 or 3 days ahead, depending on where you stay.

So you should be able to book on the 21st for the 24th., 25th & 26th if you have a date based ticket.
If you don’t then you’ll have to do it day by day.
Good to hear, thank you. The start date on our tickets is actually a week before we get to the parks, so if I’m correct, we should be able to book a lightning lane pass for those days even earlier than if we were staying at a resort - if not at the same time, 7 days ahead.

C33Mom

Anybody else thinking of changing up the order they visit parks with their resort stays because the tier system makes having DHS later in the trip more valuable than having MK later in the trip (though I guess if you’re hoping to do TBA you need to move MK later in your trip 🤔) — and the more I think about it, the more this system helps AK because you can actually book 3 good attractions (if it’s far enough out in your trip). I am overall grateful this change is being implemented before our August trip, but also feeling like there’s a short runway and limited time to figure out how to work the new FP+/Genie+ hybrid monster, and it’s completely blown up my plan of stacking LLs for an evening visit.

aaronml

Not a fan of this……

We’ve gone from Classic FP (spontaneous / day-of) to FP+ (pre-planning) to G+ / ILL (spontaneous / day-of) and now that we’ve all gotten used to that finally, we are going back to pre-planning.

Personally I’d like a balance of spontaneity without having to wake up at 7am each day….. perhaps if we could only book our first LL of the day in advance? That would be an improvement over the 3 per day in advance / tier system, which forces people to reserve LLs for attractions that don’t need them.

NotCalledBob

Disney was pressured into giving up the park reservation system, which was a huge benefit to them as they could see exactly where people were going to be ahead of time.

Disney has found a new way of having the reservation system, without people realizing they are using a reservation system!

The new system is great for Disney. It gives them so much more data on upcoming park days for staffing etc. The same data they lost when they scrapped the reservations.

Jenn White

So as a UK visitor who comes often enough that I have an annual pass (when Covid doesn't stop me) I think I'm done. What with this, park reservations and early entry the advantages for resort guests mean staying off site puts you at a massive disadvantage and I can't afford the absolutely exorbitant rates for Disney hotels most of the time especially when rooms are bang average. On top of which visiting had become hugely complex, now its ridiculous. Been visiting since 1989 and was even a cast member for a while but I think 2 or more trips a year will now become 1 every 4 or 5 years. I doubt Disney will miss me but I'll miss Disney. Shame.
International guests can't even use the app to book until we are on US soil. As a Canadian DVC owner with 5 trips in 2024 I am livid.

UK Disney

Nope it’s been confirmed international guests will have to wait until they arrive in the US
If this is true it's an absolute disgrace, what's the point of staying on site if you can't take advantage of the early window and then potentially all the headliners gone on the day, absolutely no chance. If true that's a definite cancellation for next year.

Yodascousin

If this is true it's an absolute disgrace, what's the point of staying on site if you can't take advantage of the early window and then potentially all the headliners gone on the day, absolutely no chance. If true that's a definite cancellation for next year.
Agree it’s horrible it has been confirmed plus what makes it worse is that you can only book via the app so I don’t think even a VPN would work

DCBaker

Premium Member
Any idea if Swolphin will get the 7 day prebooking advantage?

Yes:

When staying at Disney Resort hotels or other select hotels, Guests can purchase Lightning Lane passes—and choose experiences and arrival windows—starting 7 days before the first day of their Resort stay, for their length of stay (up to 14 days).

This early-planning benefit is available to registered Guests staying at:
  • Disney Resort hotels
  • Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel
  • Walt Disney World Swan Hotel
  • Walt Disney World Swan Reserve
  • Shades of Green Resort

DCBaker

Premium Member

July 24 will be the first day you can use the new system, including booking that day and the remaining days of your trip.

James J

In the Parks
No
Nope it’s been confirmed international guests will have to wait until they arrive in the US
Where? What's the source?

If true it's a horrendous oversight for all international guests. I notice the FAQ on the UK version of the WDW site is pretty much a blank page at the moment, so wonder if there's some stuff to still be worked out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom