Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
You know I don’t get it.

Last week we were there for our Senior Trip, March 11-16. Parks opened very early (7,730,8,830) and ILL were sometimes gone by 9/930am. (Groups aren’t treated as Disney Resort Guests so we must wait till park opening to purchase.) The place was mobbed with people last week, multi hour waits for many, many rides. Triple digits.

This current week, one week later, March 18-22, the parks were dead quiet, with ILL available past 6p and VQ available till after 5p. Most rides were super short queues, Slinky, Rise, and Mine Train were often 45mins or less. YET the price for Genie+ is at its highest point and was higher all week than prior week.

I’m not asking why the parks were quieter this week (I’m sure it’s just school breaks), but I am asking why is the correlation of Genie+ pricing so off? Disney knows this week would be less busy bc park hours are shorter. I don’t get it.
I’m curious about last week as well. Was that just the way some of the spring break weeks fell for school?

PSUDisney77

Are Florida schools off for spring break earlier and then maybe there was a week off before a real Easter and spring break rush? My son's school is on spring break this upcoming week along with most school systems here in western PA.

Genie+ getting to 50 bucks would be insane but would not be surprised if it is that way at Christmas/New Years. I'm just hoping it is under 30 bucks for our trip in late April. Only planning on getting it for MK.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are Florida schools off for spring break earlier and then maybe there was a week off before a real Easter and spring break rush? My son's school is on spring break this upcoming week along with most school systems here in western PA.

Genie+ getting to 50 bucks would be insane but would not be surprised if it is that way at Christmas/New Years. I'm just hoping it is under 30 bucks for our trip in late April. Only planning on getting it for MK.
Yes…Florida schools end early May

But more than that - weeklong breaks are spread over the entire late winter/spring months as more do trimesters/blocks that vary a lot. Louisiana has Mardi Gras week off…Massachusetts has a week in April set - if I recall?

Long are gone the days where the oppressive dictatorship of Pennsylvania kept me indoors for almost 9 months solid with only the Christmas week and a couple measly federal holidays off 😎

Last edited:

tanc

$40 for a system that requires you to reserve hours ahead for some rides, and you can't book anything else before that reservation? No thanks. It's astounding that people are paying for it. The one time I tried Genie+, once you reserve a ride you can't get any other passes. I tried to reserve Jungle Cruise but it wouldn't have been till like literally 4 hours or longer. It's crazy to spend so much on a gimped system.

You basically had to be at park opening to get the full benefit of it. If you bought it later, it was worthless since most rides were taken up or you had to wait for your next pass which was hours away. I can't believe that Disney doesn't have Genie + ultimate or something at this point. I'd rather pay and be given assurance that I at least could ride whatever I wanted once.

PSUDisney77

$40 for a system that requires you to reserve hours ahead for some rides, and you can't book anything else before that reservation? No thanks. It's astounding that people are paying for it. The one time I tried Genie+, once you reserve a ride you can't get any other passes. I tried to reserve Jungle Cruise but it wouldn't have been till like literally 4 hours or longer. It's crazy to spend so much on a gimped system.

You basically had to be at park opening to get the full benefit of it. If you bought it later, it was worthless since most rides were taken up or you had to wait for your next pass which was hours away. I can't believe that Disney doesn't have Genie + ultimate or something at this point. I'd rather pay and be given assurance that I at least could ride whatever I wanted once.

When did you use it? The system now allows another selection 2 hours after your last selection or once you tap into a ride to use a LL. I haven't used the system personally yet but that's what I've read about it. Unfortunately Disney is never going back to a free Fastpass type system, not with the demand for a paid system.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
When did you use it? The system now allows another selection 2 hours after your last selection or once you tap into a ride to use a LL. I haven't used the system personally yet but that's what I've read about it. Unfortunately Disney is never going back to a free Fastpass type system, not with the demand for a paid system.

Sure, but…. I would easily pay $40 a day if the system worked like FP+

Let us reserve 3 in advance and then let us pick up more on the day of. That way we’ll know how to plan the rest of the day. I just want to know how to plan my day 😭

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You can book 2 hours after your previous booking

Other than that - you’re not wrong. It sucks…it’s expensive…they have no other options

Blame Bob…it’s 1000% his fault and his fault alone

tanc

I didn't know about the two hours thing, but that'll be an excruciating 2 hours. I remember getting pretty tilted about seeing some reservations shoot up to like 4 or 6 hours later. It basically made it impossible to ride any of the big rides, unless you wanted to try to ride a bunch of less popular rides and skip the big ones.

Bthoma10

That’s the goal here, slowly creep it up. Get to 50 a day, then announce you can now book 2-3 pre planned, etc and charge 75-100 per day. That’s what they are doing.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I didn't know about the two hours thing, but that'll be an excruciating 2 hours. I remember getting pretty tilted about seeing some reservations shoot up to like 4 or 6 hours later. It basically made it impossible to ride any of the big rides, unless you wanted to try to ride a bunch of less popular rides and skip the big ones.
The refresh functionality is your friend

Annoying to try to get what you want when you want it though. Wish we could select times as we do it

Splash4eva

Bobby must be giddy with joy.

Im truly curious how many people purchase something without truly understanding the rules which impacts their view on something? I just find it remarkable people can still go to Disney and not understand certain things or anywhere for that matter. With the amount of info at your fingertips no less…

Tha Realest

I’m not asking why the parks were quieter this week (I’m sure it’s just school breaks), but I am asking why is the correlation of Genie+ pricing so off? Disney knows this week would be less busy bc park hours are shorter. I don’t get it.
my theory? It’s a way to easily boost revenue to make up for a comparative shortfall in gate tickets/resorts/merch/food&bev spending.

surfsupdon

my theory? It’s a way to easily boost revenue to make up for a comparative shortfall in gate tickets/resorts/merch/food&bev spending.
But did they know?? You did not need Genie+ or ILL this past week because everything was available and not a long wait...at all! Why was Genie+ so high and the parks were so light? The week before was opposite, packed and "cheaper" pricing. This company is nuts I tell ya.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom