Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

UNCgolf

If Disney was willing to take a potential PR hit, they could probably significantly alter/limit the DAS system. Not even necessarily in terms of who has access to it, but how it actually functions.

I don't know exactly how it works, so I could be wrong, but based on the way I've seen it described I think it goes far beyond what would be considered a reasonable accommodation under the ADA; i.e., it could be a more limited system and still be compliant with the ADA.

Laketravis

If Disney was willing to take a potential PR hit, they could probably significantly alter/limit the DAS system. Not even necessarily in terms of who has access to it, but how it actually functions.

I don't know exactly how it works, so I could be wrong, but based on the way I've seen it described I think it goes far beyond what would be considered a reasonable accommodation under the ADA; i.e., it could be a more limited system and still be compliant with the ADA.

Yup. Big difference between reasonable accommodation and going straight to or near the front of the line.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Screenshot_20240228_191804_Chrome.jpg

Disney Glimpses

That's the same outfit Six Flags uses for the same purpose and Six Flags is currently being sued:

Interesting. Being sued doesn't mean guilty though. Will be interested to see where this case goes. I would imagine Disney is keeping an eye on this.

Fido Chuckwagon

Ummm what? Where did you get this info?

In the app if you try to make a reservation without being scanned into the park of the ride, it won’t let you. Full stop. You can’t be in HS and book in MK, nor be in your car on your way and book ToT as your first callback. Even if 3/4 are in the park, but the fourth isn’t, it still doesn’t let you unless you uncheck that person.
You definitely get to make 2 preselects on top of being able to request return times once you’re actually in the park. Here’s Disney’s own website explaining it:
Eligible Guests can now pre-register for DAS Advance virtually with a Cast Member, using live video chat. Please note that you may pre-register as soon as 30 days in advance of a park visit, but no less than 2 days before arrival.
During the registration chat, you will be able to work with a Cast Member to book up to 2 one-hour return windows for select experiences using our new DAS Advance planning option (you may also make additional DAS selections on the day of your visit). Please note that all park visits must be within 30 to 2 days of the live chat. Learn more.

Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/

Edit: I do see I had a typo in my original post where I wrote “3” instead of “2” for the preselects, but the point remains the same, there’s no reason to give any preselects.

Fido Chuckwagon

That's the same outfit Six Flags uses for the same purpose and Six Flags is currently being sued:

If you drill down into the details of the Six Flags lawsuit though it’s mostly about misconduct by Six Flags employees and not necessarily about the IBCCES process itself.
Here are some of the specific allegations in the Six Flags Suit:

According to the veteran, in May 2022, he was told by a park representative that he needed to go online and submit an application for an Individual Accessibility Card. He completed the steps, printed the card and brought a paper copy to Six Flags Magic Mountain, in Valencia, California, in June 2022, during a birthday celebration with his wife.

He then handed his documentation to an attendant at the park’s alternative entrance.

“However, upon doing so, the employee took plaintiff’s paper card and ripped it up into four pieces, then handed it back to plaintiff and told him that he did ‘not look disabled enough’ to have the listed accommodations, that he looked ‘able-bodied,’” the veteran wrote.

The veteran also experienced inappropriate treatment during July and September 2022 visits.
Source: https://www.courthousenews.com/disa...-action-against-six-flags-and-magic-mountain/

Last edited:

Splash4eva

from someone who uses it and i know people get mad when i say this who dont have it. It serves the exact purpose it needs to. You are not allowed to ride until 10 min before the current wait time. Simple as that. So if anyone cant wait in line you dont have to but you are also not jumping on ride asap. Back in day. You would walk up and get a return time which use to be max 30 minutes off memory and plenty of times CM when they use to me nice and friendly some still are. They would literally let you walk right on most rides… so imo now the DAS does serve the purpose but use ri be better. Only good thing is this. You can everyone on the phone vs having to show up at each ride which was moronic esp for guests who struggle more than others.

Splash4eva

You definitely get to make 2 preselects on top of being able to request return times once you’re actually in the park. Here’s Disney’s own website explaining it:

Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/

Edit: I do see I had a typo in my original post where I wrote “3” instead of “2” for the preselects, but the point remains the same, there’s no reason to give any preselects.
Someone who uses it i would agree having 2 rides as a bonus is really nice but i will say this. Those options are limited especially if you dont call 30 days out. I dont get to choose any ride. I make suggestions to what i want & they tell me whats available. You get a morning/noon/night option as well. Again love the feature but its not like i can say give me EE at 11am & its available. Last year for example in AK there was basically nothing to choose from when i did my rides

seabreezept813

See thats the problem with society and issues like this. I understand privacy etc but again. Explain to me why anyone who legit needs DAS or disability access would want to sue?!? Ive said it before but its lunacy to me.
The only reason I can think of is if they are storing medical information. I would assume they would not be allowed to keep copies of documents or even file it with detail. As that would really affect privacy, life insurance eligibility etc.

UNCgolf

from someone who uses it and i know people get mad when i say this who dont have it. It serves the exact purpose it needs to. You are not allowed to ride until 10 min before the current wait time. Simple as that. So if anyone cant wait in line you dont have to but you are also not jumping on ride asap. Back in day. You would walk up and get a return time which use to be max 30 minutes off memory and plenty of times CM when they use to me nice and friendly some still are. They would literally let you walk right on most rides… so imo now the DAS does serve the purpose but use ri be better. Only good thing is this. You can everyone on the phone vs having to show up at each ride which was moronic esp for guests who struggle more than others.

But can you enter more than one line at once?

I'm legitimately curious. If it only allows you to enter one line at a time, or at least only lets you enter one line until your return time comes back -- you could conceivably stack multiple times this way but you couldn't just go enter 5 separate lines in a 10 minute span -- then that's probably right in line with ADA expectations.

Also, does it allow you to enter an ILL/VQ only attraction (like Guardians) without purchasing the ILL or getting a VQ spot?

I'm not suggesting that what Disney is doing is wrong, just that it may go beyond any legal requirements. The pre-selections, e.g., would almost certainly not be required under the ADA.

Fido Chuckwagon

Someone who uses it i would agree having 2 rides as a bonus is really nice but i will say this. Those options are limited especially if you dont call 30 days out. I dont get to choose any ride. I make suggestions to what i want & they tell me whats available. You get a morning/noon/night option as well. Again love the feature but its not like i can say give me EE at 11am & its available. Last year for example in AK there was basically nothing to choose from when i did my rides
I mean, at MK you can get things like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, etc. It’s not just scraps.

I'm legitimately curious. If it only allows you to enter one line at a time, or at least only lets you enter one line until your return time comes back -- you could conceivably stack multiple times this way but you couldn't just go enter 5 separate lines in a 10 minute span -- then that's probably right in line with ADA expectations.

Also, does it allow you to enter an ILL/VQ only attraction (like Guardians) without purchasing the ILL or getting a VQ spot?

The pre-selections would almost certainly not be required under the ADA.
You can only have one return time at a time, but you can certainly hop into other lines/attractions while waiting for that return time, and that is on top of your preselects. For VQ rides you still need to have grabbed a VQ that morning.

Splash4eva

The only reason I can think of is if they are storing medical information. I would assume they would not be allowed to keep copies of documents or even file it with detail. As that would really affect privacy, life insurance eligibility etc.
Again as someone who uses DAS & if people are adamant and gung ho to eliminate abuse this is the only way. Again who cares what another company who is suppose to protect my data does. Its like a pharmacy. They have allll your meds thats okay tho?!? Some worker behind the counter who care less about you knows if you have a disease an std so on & so forth… again its just lunacy to me. Want to weed out the frauds simply be transparent.

Splash4eva

I'm not suggesting that what Disney is doing is wrong, just that it may go beyond any legal requirements. The pre-selections, e.g., would almost certainly not be required under the ADA.
The 2 pre booked rides are totally separate a bonus Only if you do the zoom interview before you get there. Once you enter the park in the app a new option pops up to book DAS rides which are 10 minutes less than the waits times & you can only book another one once that one is used or tapped im so yes once you tap in be smart & book another ride. When Rise opened up or any other VQ i was not able to book via DAS i had to get on VQ only so just like everyone else bc the theory was there is no “line” but what you can do & was able to with Tron is skip the long line once my BG was called by telling them i have DAS (was not advertised tho). So no you cant stack in park DAS rides hence why i always buy Genie still bc with DAS there is just too much downtime in between rides at times.

PREMiERdrum

IIRC the cheapest VIP tour is now $450/hour, 7-hour minimum, plus gratuity.

And even then, I think the typical rate is closer to $700/hour during minor holidays, $950/hr during major holidays.
Yeah when demand spiked they started pricing it accordingly! The last time I booked one for a client it was $280/hr... this was late 2021 or early 2022 IIRC.

Splash4eva

I mean, at MK you can get things like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, etc. It’s not just scraps.

You can only have one return time at a time, but you can certainly hop into other lines/attractions while waiting for that return time, and that is on top of your preselects. For VQ rides you still need to have grabbed a VQ that morning.
MK agreed you can get a solid 2 selections even if times arent as ideal as you like but again. Cant complain as they are bonus rides. In regards to hopping in other lines it all depends. If something is say 15 minutes yea 20-25 max great but beyond that most DAS users legit ones most likely cant deal & if you are not legit im sure those dont wanna wait either. Again its obviously a nice plus but in no way something that is making me ride everything & be gone by 2 lol. Ive definitely been able to “master” both Genie/DAS together to get rerides on attractions i want but believe it or not this past Thanksgiving i would say 90% of my rides i would have happy with my Genie ones.

seabreezept813

Again as someone who uses DAS & if people are adamant and gung ho to eliminate abuse this is the only way. Again who cares what another company who is suppose to protect my data does. Its like a pharmacy. They have allll your meds thats okay tho?!? Some worker behind the counter who care less about you knows if you have a disease an std so on & so forth… again its just lunacy to me. Want to weed out the frauds simply be transparent.
I was simply stating one change that could be considered problematic for Disney or users. Data breeches are very common and people might not love giving over info for one more thing for a one week vacation. I think if people show documentation but they don’t collect or keep it on file makes more sense.

Splash4eva

I was simply stating one change that could be considered problematic for Disney or users. Data breeches are very common and people might not love giving over info for one more thing for a one week vacation. I think if people show documentation but they don’t collect or keep it on file makes more sense.
Back in the day i would bring a Dr note with me just in case but they never even look & would get “nervous” by even trying to show it to them. Bottom line is this. There will always be groups & lawyers that will waste time & money defending this.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
with DAS there is just too much downtime in between rides at times.
This downtime is where other people use the system to rides with short waits, grab snacks, etc in the same time that others are in line. Sign up for DAS for space mountain and do People Mover, Carousel of Progress, and a snack at Launching Pad. The folks in the SM standby line need more time in the day to do the same. Folks aren't upset about those needing DAS doing these things (it's a smart use of time) but get frustrated with abusers efficiently touring a park in way less time (on top of not paying for G+ and on top of making lines worse for everyone).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom