Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
The US parks one size fits all approach is an interesting choice also, at Paris they offer different cards with different “perks” (for lack of a better term) based on ability, they‘ve also tightened their standards and it’s very specific what does, and doesn’t, qualify now, our first 3 trips we got the card (with doctors note) but this year they said the medical condition didn‘t meet the newer requirements and we were denied.

Despite being denied I still feel Paris has a better process, they even have a webpage specifically explaining the program, we just didn’t check it since we’d used the system a few years ago without issue.
Over here in the U.K. and Europe the laws are different though. Generally you have to prove your disability or condition. The website is actually very detailed about what proof you need, depending on which type of pass you qualify for and where you are from.

And the two types of passes give different accommodations in the parks.
This is the overview.

What is a Priority Card and am I eligible?​

A Priority Card gives priority (but non-immediate) access to attractions, shows, parades, Selfie spots, restaurant and shop checkouts. With an official document proving disability accepted by Disneyland Paris, you and an accompanying person are also entitled to a 25% discount on your Park Ticket or Disneyland Pass.

Request your Priority Card upon arrival, or save time by requesting your card online up to 1 month before your visit! You'll need to present an original document issued by the government or medical authority upon arrival in order to collect it. Please note, a medical certificate will not be sufficient.

What is an Easy Access Card and am I eligible?​

If you have a recognised Long Term Chronic Disease, we can support you with simplified (but non-immediate) access to our attractions. Present your Easy Access Card and 'appointment book' at an attraction, and we'll give you a timeslot during which to come back and ride. You can make a 2nd reservation when the 1st is over.

To get your easy Access Card on your arrival day, you’ll need an original certificate In French or English. It must be dated no more than three months previously and signed by a medical doctor stating that you’re affected by one of the 30 long term chronic diseases, without any indication of the disease concerned. You can find the list of Long Term Chronic Diseases here.

nickys

Premium Member
I haven’t done one but know several people who do. Pretty sure they said the guide scans them in. I can ask though.
To follow up.

Whether guides ride with you or not depends on the guide, whether you ask them to get drinks or snacks for you etc.

As for tapping in twice, it just “happens” - you just tap in and go through. The guide must be able to approve you through both.

PREMiERdrum

There will be a few exceptions but generally the guide drops you at the G+ or ILL entrance and waits for you.
It’s definitely a significant downgrade on what it used to be.
One of the red flags for me over the past couple of years was how incredibly popular the VIP tours got with the TikTok family set. As recently as last spring, they were desperately searching for VIP guides to help meet demand. I chatted with a couple while onsite for some meetings, and their justification was largely centered around the guides "only" being $200 hour to guarantee access, which didn't seem comparatively awful next to Genie+ or other options.

Of course, these families were the same ones using access to credit to book 10 days at the Poly and every character meal on property. While a bit of an extreme example, this pound foolish philosophy in the post-COVID era encouraged brass to push pricing to the limits... and now the market they were focusing on has maxed out their cards.

Laketravis

One of the red flags for me over the past couple of years was how incredibly popular the VIP tours got with the TikTok family set. As recently as last spring, they were desperately searching for VIP guides to help meet demand. I chatted with a couple while onsite for some meetings, and their justification was largely centered around the guides "only" being $200 hour to guarantee access, which didn't seem comparatively awful next to Genie+ or other options.

Of course, these families were the same ones using access to credit to book 10 days at the Poly and every character meal on property. While a bit of an extreme example, this pound foolish philosophy in the post-COVID era encouraged brass to push pricing to the limits... and now the market they were focusing on has maxed out their cards.

Exactly. They've based long term decisions on short term anomalies.

Can anyone explain this to me? First, why would CR be so much higher and second, who in the hell would pay those nightly rates?

1709152997451.png

PREMiERdrum

Exactly. They've based long term decisions on short term anomalies.

Can anyone explain this to me? First, why would CR be so much higher and second, who in the hell would pay those nightly rates?

View attachment 770642
The CR rate displaying here is almost certainly either a Club Level Park View or maybe a suite? Rack for regular rooms at CR is typically half that.

Vegas Disney Fan

Over here in the U.K. and Europe the laws are different though. Generally you have to prove your disability or condition. The website is actually very detailed about what proof you need, depending on which type of pass you qualify for and where you are from.

And the two types of passes give different accommodations in the parks.
This is the overview.

What is a Priority Card and am I eligible?​

A Priority Card gives priority (but non-immediate) access to attractions, shows, parades, Selfie spots, restaurant and shop checkouts. With an official document proving disability accepted by Disneyland Paris, you and an accompanying person are also entitled to a 25% discount on your Park Ticket or Disneyland Pass.

Request your Priority Card upon arrival, or save time by requesting your card online up to 1 month before your visit! You'll need to present an original document issued by the government or medical authority upon arrival in order to collect it. Please note, a medical certificate will not be sufficient.

What is an Easy Access Card and am I eligible?​

If you have a recognised Long Term Chronic Disease, we can support you with simplified (but non-immediate) access to our attractions. Present your Easy Access Card and 'appointment book' at an attraction, and we'll give you a timeslot during which to come back and ride. You can make a 2nd reservation when the 1st is over.

To get your easy Access Card on your arrival day, you’ll need an original certificate In French or English. It must be dated no more than three months previously and signed by a medical doctor stating that you’re affected by one of the 30 long term chronic diseases, without any indication of the disease concerned. You can find the list of Long Term Chronic Diseases here.
One of our friends, who is a veteran who gets DAS as a result of PTSD induced panic attacks, was denied when she last went also… didn’t meet the new criteria.

The beauty of their policy is it’s all spelled out, no guesswork, no CM discretion, you either meet the criteria, and have the necessary paperwork, or you don’t.

It stunk we were denied but we dealt with it and still had a great day, we just skipped a few rides and modified our day to avoid situations we knew would be problematic. My guess is a lot of the people who get DAS in the US probably fall into a similar situation, the DAS makes their day easier but isn’t absolutely necessary to enjoy the parks, a much different situation from people with issues like autism and physical disabilities that make the parks impossible to do without the pass.

Laketravis

The CR rate displaying here is almost certainly either a Club Level Park View or maybe a suite? Rack for regular rooms at CR is typically half that.

You're right, after a refresh that was for a Garden Wing 1 Bedroom Hospitality Suite - going back in it presented a Main Tower Theme Park view for $583 a night - total with tax almost $2k for three nights. Just for the room. Who is filling 80% of these rooms at those rates?

I wish I understood the algorithms behind their resort searches and why I seem to get different search results at different times.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
One of our friends, who is a veteran who gets DAS as a result of PTSD induced panic attacks, was denied when she last went also… didn’t meet the new criteria.

The beauty of their policy is it’s all spelled out, no guesswork, no CM discretion, you either meet the criteria, and have the necessary paperwork, or you don’t.

It stunk we were denied but we dealt with it and still had a great day, we just skipped a few rides and modified our day to avoid situations we knew would be problematic. My guess is a lot of the people who get DAS in the US probably fall into a similar situation, the DAS makes their day easier but isn’t absolutely necessary to enjoy the parks, a much different situation from people with issues like autism and physical disabilities that make the parks impossible to do without the pass.
Under the Easy Access Pass there is a list of long term chronic conditions, for which you need a doctor’s letter. One of those is long term psychiatric disorder. I would think PTSD could be said to fall under that heading, but of course she would have had to have a doctor’s letter saying she is affected by one of the qualifying conditions (and have it translated into French too).

Laketravis

1977 paid 49 dollars @ CR

Yup. In 1972 we paid around $28 LOL

In 2005, I want to say it was less than $200 for a tower water view but it was part of our ticket package with free dining so I don't recall exactly what the rack rate was - just that the total was slightly more than $3800 for three of us (7 nights, 7 day park passes, free dining).

Laketravis

I wanted to run it for the same days just to see what they presented me and it was the same as what you got. It would be interesting to see the code they use that determines what room types to display.

I'm so used to seeing pricing grids on all other sorts of resort and airline sites - whether it's a week at a time view or an entire month or two, showing prices for each day. It frustrates me that I can't browse WDW resorts in the same manner.

SamusAranX

Yes, the DAS system allows you to select return times for all rides with a line (not the VQ rides), including the ILL$ rides like ROTR, 7dmt, FOP. In addition to that, you get 3 preselects, made in advance of your trip, on top of what I just mentioned. That is the crazy part that goes well beyond a "reasonable accommodation." Having DAS is much better than purchasing genie+ for that reason.
Ummm what? Where did you get this info?

In the app if you try to make a reservation without being scanned into the park of the ride, it won’t let you. Full stop. You can’t be in HS and book in MK, nor be in your car on your way and book ToT as your first callback. Even if 3/4 are in the park, but the fourth isn’t, it still doesn’t let you unless you uncheck that person.

SamusAranX

Not necessarily. I’ve seen guides cut the LL line as well, especially at Soarin. They just walk the empty queue to the left hand side of the LL, then walk down the empty side going to their theater as well.
We just did the VIP tour. If the LL was longer then a few minutes, they took us straight to front of line.

nickys

Premium Member
Ummm what? Where did you get this info?

In the app if you try to make a reservation without being scanned into the park of the ride, it won’t let you. Full stop. You can’t be in HS and book in MK, nor be in your car on your way and book ToT as your first callback. Even if 3/4 are in the park, but the fourth isn’t, it still doesn’t let you unless you uncheck that person.
If you call and set up DAS in advance, you can ask them to book 3 rides per day.

RoadiJeff

1977 paid 49 dollars @ CR
I stayed offsite in the summer of 1975 but I remember getting off the monorail when it paused at the Contemporary and I walked to the front desk to ask about room rates. I was told $55 per night, which was over twice the price of the hotel I was staying at in Kissimmee.

Disney Glimpses

Has this been challenged in court yet? Not a lawyer but I can't see how that is legal.
It's allowed because the 3rd party (IBCCES) conforms to HIPAA due to the fact that the board that is reviewing the information are medical directors (and not Universal Team Members). You can still get a card without medical records but IBCCES is allowed to ask you direct questions as it pertains to your medical condition whereas Universal (or Disney) are not allowed to.

I personally think this is something Disney should do for a few reasons:
  • it lasts for a year instead of 60 days
  • will greatly reduce fraud
  • benefits the legitimately disabled guest with a better experience (lower wait times in the LL queues)

Laketravis

It's allowed because the 3rd party (IBCCES) conforms to HIPAA due to the fact that the board that is reviewing the information are medical directors (and not Universal Team Members). You can still get a card without medical records but IBCCES is allowed to ask you direct questions as it pertains to your medical condition whereas Universal (or Disney) are not allowed to.

I personally think this is something Disney should do for a few reasons:
  • it lasts for a year instead of 60 days
  • will greatly reduce fraud
  • benefits the legitimately disabled guest with a better experience (lower wait times in the LL queues)

That's the same outfit Six Flags uses for the same purpose and Six Flags is currently being sued:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom