Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Purduevian

Average waits in line for FastPass+ and Genie+ for years 2018, 2019, 2023, and 2024, self-reported from our users:

View attachment 770458

Here's the file with the data. I have not looked hard at this, so let me know what I'm missing.

The confidence intervals seem to say:
  • Genie+ users are waiting longer in line in 2024 than in 2023
  • Genie+ waits are longer than FastPass+ waits (okay, that's a 94% confidence interval)
The caveats:
  • This is user-reported data. It's possible they thought they were in the wrong line or attraction. We have no easy way to check that.
  • I haven't separated this out by resort (WDW vs DL) or park
  • Excluding 2020, 2021, and 2022 bc pandemic
A few questions on the data.
1) Does this include ILL attractions for G+?
2) Are users instructed to stop the clock at the vehicle or (first) preshow?
3)I know it's not there now, but can the data be sorted by ride?

2) is the most interesting to me because if it's to the ride vehicle Guardians, RotR, MMRR, and MFSR all include a merge before a decent length pre-show followed by an additional line.

lentesta

Premium Member
A few questions on the data.
1) Does this include ILL attractions for G+?
2) Are users instructed to stop the clock at the vehicle or (first) preshow?
3)I know it's not there now, but can the data be sorted by ride?

2) is the most interesting to me because if it's to the ride vehicle Guardians, RotR, MMRR, and MFSR all include a merge before a decent length pre-show followed by an additional line.

1) I'll check
2) Whatever it is, it's consistent for each ride across years. We haven't changed 'the ride starts here' in a while.
3) Yeah, I just need more time.

SamusAranX

Did HS close at 8pm ? If so i saw similar during my last visit. Before that trip DAS would not be available for rides with longer wait times that exceeded park closing. My guess legal changed that because of obvious reasons and now when this happens you can get DAS for those rides with “random” return windows
They closed at 9, and had either EMH or AH, I’m not sure which. Neither (events) of which we were eligible for so the app wouldn’t have known that

Purduevian

1) I'll check
2) Whatever it is, it's consistent for each ride across years. We haven't changed 'the ride starts here' in a while.
3) Yeah, I just need more time.
Thanks, with point 2, if it is the time to the ride vehicle, some of the new attractions with long pre-shows might be skewing the data for G+ vs FP+. Still amazing that you have data to go back to when a new question pops up!

bmr1591

DAS abuse is real, but I still believe the worst offender is the ridiculous amount of downtime we've been seeing at attractions.

While an issue, it’s not even close to the main perpetrator. At one point, Disney needs to take the one day PR hit, let news channels find something more interesting to talk about, then move on making the parks better for all guests. There’s too much abuse.

Splash4eva

Everyone says DAS abuse is real yet can provide no proof to why it is real… to what degree do people feel DAS is being abused. Im curious what people feel is considered abuse & with that being said that % is really the reason parks are the way they are?!? Disney is the biggest destination of its kind and is very friendly to people with needs. So at any given point you will have a major need for DAS users. Is it getting abused? Of course im sure it is just like almost everything else in life but my guess is maybe 10% of users dont need it and are stretching it. I really dont know but again these are all Disney policies and if Disney really wanted to. They can easily see the DAS use and see who is actually abusing the system and imo if they felt that number has gotten out of control then they would do something.

Jrb1979

Everyone says DAS abuse is real yet can provide no proof to why it is real… to what degree do people feel DAS is being abused. Im curious what people feel is considered abuse & with that being said that % is really the reason parks are the way they are?!? Disney is the biggest destination of its kind and is very friendly to people with needs. So at any given point you will have a major need for DAS users. Is it getting abused? Of course im sure it is just like almost everything else in life but my guess is maybe 10% of users dont need it and are stretching it. I really dont know but again these are all Disney policies and if Disney really wanted to. They can easily see the DAS use and see who is actually abusing the system and imo if they felt that number has gotten out of control then they would do something.
Agreed. IMO it's so much abuse but with Genie+ costing money more people that were eligible for DAS are using it than when FP+ was around.

IMO there is no easy solution that won't cause a big PR problem. The problem is too many people are using a system that it can't support

Splash4eva

Agreed. IMO it's so much abuse but with Genie+ costing money more people that were eligible for DAS are using it than when FP+ was around.

IMO there is no easy solution that won't cause a big PR problem. The problem is too many people are using a system that it can't support
Exactly and i would love to know how many people who have DAS still buy Genie+ and ILL. I know i do and everyone else i know does as well granted my sample size is small but they are still getting my money. Sadly i admit that

Jrb1979

Exactly and i would love to know how many people who have DAS still buy Genie+ and ILL. I know i do and everyone else i know does as well granted my sample size is small but they are still getting my money. Sadly i admit that
It's probably a lot that do. I'd imagine with FP+ many didn't have DAS as well. They are in a pickle right now. The only solution is to get the number of guests using the system down.

No matter what they do the PR will be a nightmare.

Splash4eva

It's probably a lot that do. I'd imagine with FP+ many didn't have DAS as well. They are in a pickle right now. The only solution is to get the number of guests using the system down.

Or solve the problem by simply adding more capacity more park hours proper staffing more entertainment a night parade just to name a few…. And again this PR “nightmare” should be NON existent because anyone who legit needs DAS for whatever reason should EMBRACE Disney looking to potentially crack down. Im sick of the entire privacy bs that we live by. Im sorry if you need DAS you should have to prove it in some way shape or form and should NOT be offended by doing so in a one on one Zoom call or in person at city hall & if you want privacy im sure Disney would provide it…

Jrb1979

Or solve the problem by simply adding more capacity more park hours proper staffing more entertainment a night parade just to name a few…. And again this PR “nightmare” should be NON existent because anyone who legit needs DAS for whatever reason should EMBRACE Disney looking to potentially crack down. Im sick of the entire privacy bs that we live by. Im sorry if you need DAS you should have to prove it in some way shape or form and should NOT be offended by doing so in a one on one Zoom call or in person at city hall & if you want privacy im sure Disney would provide it…
I wasn't talking about PR nightmare necessarily for DAS. Raising the price of Genie+ to price people out so less use it would help too. They do that than those people will stop going. We all know new attractions aren't coming any time soon.

Splash4eva

I wasn't talking about PR nightmare necessarily for DAS. Raising the price of Genie+ to price people out so less use it would help too. They do that than those people will stop going. We all know new attractions aren't coming any time soon.
Do you really believe there is a number that will “price” people out? I personally do not and when it does all that happens is those people are now in the regular line

Fido Chuckwagon

S abuse isn't up. Because of the shift from free to paid FP, word has gotten out about DAS essentially being "free Genie+."
Let’s be honest, DAS isn’t “free genie+,” DAS is significantly superior to Genie+. You can grab any ride you want, including the ILL$, and it’s not based on whether they have distributed the passes for the day. I don’t understand why Disney felt the need to add 3 ride preselects **on top of** the regular return times, that’s just insanity to me, and has to be driving some of the LL saturation we are seeing.

Fido Chuckwagon

I mean, they could avoid the PR nightmare entirely by just bringing back a free fastpass system, but of course they would never do that.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Do you really believe there is a number that will “price” people out? I personally do not and when it does all that happens is those people are now in the regular line
I believe there is but what they’ve created now and for some of those who get priced out of paying for G+ will just decide it isn’t worth going to wdw at all then. We are already starting to see some of that.

Frustration in the amount of work and extra money it takes to really experience all they want while they are there.

PREMiERdrum

I believe there is but what they’ve created now and for some of those who get priced out of paying for G+ will just decide it isn’t worth going to wdw at all then. We are already starting to see some of that.

Frustration in the amount of work and extra money it takes to really experience all they want while they are there.
From the frontlines, it appears to me that the prolonged downturn in their package bookings is more in the reduced benefits and increased hassle than the price gouging alone. They used to be able to balance above-market pricing with enough benefits and extras to allow their guests to justify the expense. These diehards were great ambassadors and were able to help maintain the aspirational nature of a Poly or GF vacation, which made others feel better putting their own WDW vacation on that 28.9% credit card.

Under Iger, they squeezed until they ran out of juice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom