Disney Funds Michael Moore documentary bashing President Bush...

Blair

I think it's possible to talk about even issues like this without engaging in "politics" per se...

Someone like Moore making a film for Disney is more of an corporate ethics issue than a political one. Is it appropriate to profit off of content like this for the Walt Disney Co?

Many Hollywood fiction films have distinct political slants, yet Moore's issues are based around the idea that his films are supposed to be "true" and "documentaries." Much of the controversy comes from the discovery that large portions of his films are artificially manufactured to rile the audience. If it generates rapid box office sales and raises the stock price of the company, is that an acceptable practice? It's not illegal.

You can completely agree with Moore's political views but be appalled by his methods (and I think many will find that to be the case).

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by ACE
. I apologize if you and DMC-12 didn't pick up on that.

Take care,
:wave: ACE

Oh I got it... I was just being a smart @$$ to, for the most part :lol: I didnt think you actually thought the big wire and news services had a hidden agenda... At least I hope not. :lol:
:p ;)

wdwmaniac

Originally posted by Blair
I think it's possible to talk about even issues like this without engaging in "politics" per se...

Someone like Moore making a film for Disney is more of an corporate ethics issue than a political one. Is it appropriate to profit off of content like this for the Walt Disney Co?

Many Hollywood fiction films have distinct political slants, yet Moore's issues are based around the idea that his films are supposed to be "true" and "documentaries." Much of the controversy comes from the discovery that large portions of his films are artificially manufactured to rile the audience. If it generates rapid box office sales and raises the stock price of the company, is that an acceptable practice? It's not illegal.

You can completely agree with Moore's political views but be appalled by his methods (and I think many will find that to be the case).

Should we be worried about some fast stock price. If you want fast go buy Google when it goes public. But this is what is wrong with the Disney Company it is try to get there stock price up but are getting away from the core Disney ideas. As it seems there stock is showing that this doesn't work. And I don't think that Moore's political views are the right ones. But this is not for this message board.

Blair

By the way, for those who don't know the "plot" of the new Michael Moore film 'Farenheit 911' and the reasons that it may be an ethically questionable release for any studio, much less Disney....

He's basically going to imply that President Bush was part of a conspiracy to engineer 9-11 and his family helped mastermind the attack with Osama Bin Laden

Here's a summation:

Michael Moore plans Bush-bin Laden film
Published 3/28/2003 4:00 PM

LOS ANGELES, March 28 (UPI) -- Filmmaker Michael Moore's next project might be more controversial than his Oscar-winning documentary "Bowling for Columbine."

According to a report in Friday's Daily Variety, Moore is working on a documentary about the "the murky relationship" between former President George Bush and the family of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden. The paper said the movie, "Fahrenheit 911," will suggest that the bin Laden family profited greatly from the association.

According to Moore, the former president had a business relationship with Osama bin Laden's father, Mohammed bin Laden, a Saudi construction magnate who left $300 million to Osama bin Laden. It has been widely reported that bin Laden used the inheritance to finance global terrorism.

Moore said the bin Laden family was heavily invested in the Carlyle Group, a private global investment firm that the filmmaker said frequently buys failing defense companies and then sells them at a profit. Former President Bush has reportedly served as a senior adviser with the firm.

"The senior Bush kept his ties with the bin Laden family up until two months after Sept. 11," said Moore.

Moore told Variety the primary focus of the new project will be to examine what has happened to the United States since the Sept. 11 terrorist attack. He accused the Bush administration of using a tragic event to push its agenda.

"It (the new project) certainly does deal with the Bush and bin Laden ties," said Moore. "It asks a number of questions that I don't have the answers to yet, but which I intend to find out."

Moore said he expects the new movie to be in U.S. theaters in time for the 2004 presidential election.

While some critics accused Moore of being anti-American for his Oscar speech, Moore told Variety business has been very good for his movie and his best-selling book "Stupid White Men: And Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation."

"I expressed exactly what was in the film and instead of being blacklisted, I've not only gotten a deal to fund 'Fahrenheit 911' but offers on the film after," he said. "Presales on ('Bowling for Columbine's') video release ran ahead of 'Chicago' this week, and my book is returning to the top spot on the New York Times best-seller list."

Moore said the success of his documentary and book reflects majority public support for his political argument.

Copyright © 2001-2004 United Press International

So yeah, it IS Moore's right as a filmmaker to make implications of a diabolical plot from Bush to murder Americans that he wishes even if it's just to scare up movie ticket sales.

But knowing that this is very cheap and sensationalist smear tactics (this page links Michael Moore to the very same phony conspiracy) and it's sure to generate tons of controversy, which means tons of box office sales. But will it damage Disney's reputation?

Kind of a unpleasant partisan product for them to be distributing in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom