Disney Forum Fans VS Generic Disney Fans

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
So, there has always been a distinct difference between forum park fans and generic disney park fans. Folks around here are more inclined to like things such as original storytelling, new theme park exclusive characters/experiences, ect. Meanwhile generic disney fans are all about the cupcakes and “more ‘Disney’”

Which side of the world are you on based on the list below? (Left is generic disney fan, right is extremist disney fan) These topics are the common ones I see on Facebook in comment sections under places like blog Mickey, Disney parks blog, ect.

Wakanda at AK vs. Original Park Theme

Guardians/Rat/Frozen enthusiasts vs. Classic Epcot fanboys

Change the classics to match movies vs. Untouchable classics

MMRR enthusiasts vs. GMR is better/Hate new Mickey style

Vloggers vs. Forum Folks

People excited about Harmonius vs. People upset about the barges.

Up next, a list of comments that may make you guys cringe...

1). “I'm so glad that they are making Epcot a full day experience and more desirable for those with young kids!”

2). “Now it’s time to start building the beauty and the beast ride like the one they did in Japan! 😆

3). “I've been hoping for this change for YEARS! I was hesitant about Maelstrom turning into a Frozen ride and they won me over. Yes Splash Mountain is fun, but it's definitely gotten stale and the ride structure already lends itself SO well for Princess and the Frog. I think it's going to be perfect.”

4). “I am from Louisiana and totally LOVE Princess and the Frog. BUT, I think this was a missed opportunity... Emperor’s New Grove would have been PERFECT in this space, as the whole premise of the movie was to find Kuzco a place for his new summer home/water slide!”

5). “This ride is so AMAZING!!” - M&MR

6). (Referring to Wakanda being mentioned for Disneyland) "I really want it to come to Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney world it would be a great fit!"

7). "Wakanda should go to animal kingdom where dinosaur usa is there is nothing over there on that side of the park."

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I'm definitely on the "extremist" side in your breakdown, but I would actually like the Beauty and the Beast ride in the US!

It's far from a perfect ride and could have easily been designed better, but I still think it looks like a significantly better attraction than Ratatouille. I suppose Ratatouille fits in the France pavilion better than BatB would, but since neither are a very good fit IMO I think I'd rather have the more impressive attraction, although I go back and forth on that.

However, to avoid that issue entirely, they could just replace the ultimately mediocre Be Our Guest restaurant with the ride and give New Fantasyland the jolt it needs with another decent attraction.

Brer Panther

So, there has always been a distinct difference between forum park fans and generic disney park fans. Folks around here are more inclined to like things such as original storytelling, new theme park exclusive characters/experiences, ect. Meanwhile generic disney fans are all about the cupcakes and “more ‘Disney’”

Which side of the world are you on based on the list below? (Left is generic disney fan, right is extremist disney fan) These topics are the common ones I see on Facebook in comment sections under places like blog Mickey, Disney parks blog, ect.

Vloggers vs. Forum Folks

Up next, a list of comments that may make you guys cringe...

1). “I'm so glad that they are making Epcot a full day experience and more desirable for those with young kids!”

2). “Now it’s time to start building the beauty and the beast ride like the one they did in Japan! 😆

3). “I've been hoping for this change for YEARS! I was hesitant about Maelstrom turning into a Frozen ride and they won me over. Yes Splash Mountain is fun, but it's definitely gotten stale and the ride structure already lends itself SO well for Princess and the Frog. I think it's going to be perfect.”

4). “I am from Louisiana and totally LOVE Princess and the Frog. BUT, I think this was a missed opportunity... Emperor’s New Grove would have been PERFECT in this space, as the whole premise of the movie was to find Kuzco a place for his new summer home/water slide!”

5). “This ride is so AMAZING!!” - M&MR
I'm on the sides of Original Park Theme, Classic Epcot Fanboys, Untouchable Classics, and Hate New Mickey Style.

And that guy who thinks they should turn Splash Mountain into an Emperor's New Groove ride DOES realize that Kuzco was portrayed as being in the wrong for wanting to demolish Pacha's village so he could build Kuzcotopia, right?

AugieMorosco

I suppose I fall into the generic Disney fan group, but I think there's a gradient. There are things I feel are better left alone (Main Street Theater in Disneyland for example), but I also think the evolution is necessary. I'm also a Star Wars fan and I see the strong parallels to this divide in that fandom. I grew up with the original trilogy, and while I'm blah about the prequels, I really enjoyed most of the sequel trilogy and the new characters. I don't really get the "untouchable" idea of something like Splash Mountain. It opened in 1992. If this were 1991, would you be angry about it being built and all the changes happening in the park? Progress and change is what allowed Disney Parks (and Star Wars) to exist and become great in the first place. I understand it in the cases where there's a legitimate icon, or historical significance (Carousel of Progress), or it's something decidedly cheaper and worse. All of that said, I was not fortunate enough to have experienced the parks as a child and have no nostalgia for my own visits, though I do love the history of the parks. I'm sure to some Splash in it's current for is as iconic as the castle, but for me it isn't. Country Bears, though... I'd handcuff myself to the building.

Goofyernmost

I suppose I fall into the generic Disney fan group, but I think there's a gradient. There are things I feel are better left alone (Main Street Theater in Disneyland for example), but I also think the evolution is necessary. I'm also a Star Wars fan and I see the strong parallels to this divide in that fandom. I grew up with the original trilogy, and while I'm blah about the prequels, I really enjoyed most of the sequel trilogy and the new characters. I don't really get the "untouchable" idea of something like Splash Mountain. It opened in 1992. If this were 1991, would you be angry about it being built and all the changes happening in the park? Progress and change is what allowed Disney Parks (and Star Wars) to exist and become great in the first place. I understand it in the cases where there's a legitimate icon, or historical significance (Carousel of Progress), or it's something decidedly cheaper and worse. All of that said, I was not fortunate enough to have experienced the parks as a child and have no nostalgia for my own visits, though I do love the history of the parks. I'm sure to some Splash in it's current for is as iconic as the castle, but for me it isn't. Country Bears, though... I'd handcuff myself to the building.
I have been a raging fan for close to 40 years. I love some of the original stuff that has since gone toward the light. I have seen two Star Wars movies and one only because I lost a bet with my grandson and that was what he wanted to settle it and the other was the one that marked the end of Hans (did not like that part). I only went to see how they were going to incorporate an aging Han Solo and Princess Leia in the story. They did a terrific job doing that, in my mind. All that said because the incredibly detailed Star Wars Land and even Toy Story land upsetting to some because it was replacing an area that had been dead for years, just not buried, is mind boggling.

I agree that CoP should stay and not be changed. Remember the phrase, "it all started with a mouse", well the real birth of animatronics mostly started with CoP at the 1964 NY Worlds Fair and cannot ever be replaced. Historically, it should have it's own army surrounding it 24/7 to keep away any snot nosed new imagineer from sending in the bulldozers. #CoPforeverasis!

Splash, if done well, could be replaced, but the, pulled out of someone's ignorant butt, concern about it is what upsets me. The idea that it is a problem because the story line was in a movie from decades ago that is possibly sending a racists image about Blacks in our country is actually the opposite. Yes, I have seen Song of the South in it's entirety. The Uncle Remus stories are what the attraction is based on anyway, not the movie. Probably came to mind because of the movie, but mostly because of the Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah song. The rest is legitimate history which actually shows an uneducated ex-slave as being far brighter, far more empathetic and far more moral then any of the white folks in the movie. I think that was the message, but it has been flattened because it shows rich, white ex-slave owners as the bad guys. Can't have that can we? So now it has to change because it is offensive. Who is the attraction (not the movie) offensive too and based on reality why? Is it some movement to erase all black history?

What it all boils down to is that things that don't change can never grow. Theme Parks that don't constantly change and up grade become nothing but museums. One can laugh at the same corny joke just so often before it is hard to even grin. Living in the past, keeps us in the past when we need to move forward. The problem with that, for Disney, is that they seldom improve on the originals. However, they do on occasion.

horizons82

It's not entirely all or nothing for me though I nearly always fall on the side of original ideas (especially when it comes to EPCOT Center). But I also realize some things do eventually need to be updated.
I could go on ad infinitum about this, but I wouldn't have nearly the complaints about changes if they were at least more in keeping with the original quality and/or original intent, especially with regard to attractions.
For example, the changes made at Haunted Mansion, while it took me time to adjust to them, I now appreciate how they fit in and no longer find myself always longing for the HM of old. It's when I find myself continuing to wish for older versions of attractions that I personally feel means an update was not a good one.
Unfortunately, more often than not I find myself missing original versions of attractions like El Rio del Tiempo, Maelstrom, etc., because the new incarnations are completely different in meaning and tone from the original concept those attractions represented. All IMHO of course.
Another issue for me are the lands. Star Wars makes sense at DHS, but Avatar at AK does not (though the connection they were going for isn't totally lost on me).
In general, my problem with updates and changes are not with updates and changes themselves, but more the lack of consistency and continuity in terms of theming, original intent, and quality.

Chicken Guy

Full-on purist/extremist (kinda harsh terminology, huh?), here. It’s real hard to get excited about anything the Disney company does anymore since it’s no longer in line with the company’s former legacy and mission statement. Generic and extremist fans might both recongnize that EPCOT is currently a wreck, but there are two differences between them: one, generic fans do not often realize the park’s history, visionary roots, and the actual way it got to where it is. The extremists typically do. One has to truly understand EPCOT’s past to know why it’s headed in the wrong direction. Second, we’re just after different things. As mentioned in the thread, generic fans love their cupcakes, promotions, and IP integration, and they might not care about the sight lines, either. I long for the days when the parks were not just entertainment, but an art form in themselves. The Magic Kingdom captured both the fantastic and the authentic. EPCOT served an entirely different purpose and gave real insight on the present and future of our world because the Disney company did not used to just be about media and film. Walt Disney was going to be an urban planner if he never died prematurely, and as such had a passion for exploring our future prospects as a species along with solving the problems we face as a people. I think it’s only right and respectful towards Walt’s legacy for EPCOT to return to being dedicated to the aspects of life that define our existences and how they will evolve with human enginuity and global cooperation.

Animaniac93-98

Because of the enormous amount of content the company has made (or bought) over the last century, most people who self-identify as Disney fans have a fairly limited and superficial interest in the overall product. That's not because they're not "real" fans, it's just that they have other things that occupy their time or interest.

If you're the kind of person who spends their free time on a Disney message board, you're already a more extreme fan than most. Regardless of what the topic of discussion is or your opinion on it.

Brer Oswald

I don't really get the "untouchable" idea of something like Splash Mountain. It opened in 1992. If this were 1991, would you be angry about it being built and all the changes happening in the park?
I think the idea of “untouchability” is based on perceived quality and enjoyment rather than age or achievement. The untouchables in Florida to me are Splash (LOL), Spaceship Earth, Small World, Space Mountain, Peoplemover, Thunder Mountain, and Peter Pan. I’d argue maybe Pirates, but Florida’s is pretty lame.

Add in something like Mansion, which I’m sure is untouchable to many. But to me, it’s merely enjoyable. If they took it out I would be slightly disappointed, but I would be open to whatever replaces it potentially being more enjoyable.

Brer Oswald

I have been a raging fan for close to 40 years. I love some of the original stuff that has since gone toward the light. I have seen two Star Wars movies and one only because I lost a bet with my grandson and that was what he wanted to settle it and the other was the one that marked the end of Hans (did not like that part). I only went to see how they were going to incorporate an aging Han Solo and Princess Leia in the story. They did a terrific job doing that, in my mind. All that said because the incredibly detailed Star Wars Land and even Toy Story land upsetting to some because it was replacing an area that had been dead for years, just not buried, is mind boggling.

I agree that CoP should stay and not be changed. Remember the phrase, "it all started with a mouse", well the real birth of animatronics mostly started with CoP at the 1964 NY Worlds Fair and cannot ever be replaced. Historically, it should have it's own army surrounding it 24/7 to keep away any snot nosed new imagineer from sending in the bulldozers. #CoPforeverasis!

Splash, if done well, could be replaced, but the, pulled out of someone's ignorant butt, concern about it is what upsets me. The idea that it is a problem because the story line was in a movie from decades ago that is possibly sending a racists image about Blacks in our country is actually the opposite. Yes, I have seen Song of the South in it's entirety. The Uncle Remus stories are what the attraction is based on anyway, not the movie. Probably came to mind because of the movie, but mostly because of the Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah song. The rest is legitimate history which actually shows an uneducated ex-slave as being far brighter, far more empathetic and far more moral then any of the white folks in the movie. I think that was the message, but it has been flattened because it shows rich, white ex-slave owners as the bad guys. Can't have that can we? So now it has to change because it is offensive. Who is the attraction (not the movie) offensive too and based on reality why? Is it some movement to erase all black history?

What it all boils down to is that things that don't change can never grow. Theme Parks that don't constantly change and up grade become nothing but museums. One can laugh at the same corny joke just so often before it is hard to even grin. Living in the past, keeps us in the past when we need to move forward. The problem with that, for Disney, is that they seldom improve on the originals. However, they do on occasion.
Good post, but I would personally like to see CoP reverted to the more consistent World’s Fair version, rather than the current version with the drastic jump between act 3 and 4. I know that I am probably alone for that, but I think the show in its original form is significant enough to the company to be worth preserving (even if the referenced Progress City didn’t amount to what was planned at the time).

tcool123

Wakanda fits best within Hollywood Studios, just because Panther is in the name and its set in a non American/European country doesn't mean you should shove it into Animal Kingdom as Black Panther never really touches on animals.

Guardians could work in Epcot with the right framing if it was presented as part of Space pavilion. Rat fits perfectly. Frozen is better suited at MK or Studios, but things like meet and greets and how Norway inspired Frozen gallery worked fine in the pavilion

As long as the movie is good I don't really mind the changes if they somewhat make sense, and even classics need to be updated and touched up with new effects and such. IMO every classic needs to be updated with the times to ensure they stay beloved it just depends on the way it is approached. I'd also wager the classics are more limited to the rides from opening day of a park and a few others sprinkled in

MMRR's existence is fine a better spot would've been great but it still works. GMR is better, but MMRR is also a really good ride.

Vloggers vs. Forum Folks
Both can be toxic and annoying 😌
Both can be helpful and fun, just depends user to user and person to person

People excited about Harmonius vs. People upset about the barges.
I am both, just hoping the show is stunning and the best thing ever. If not then we have eyesores and a bad show.

Making Epcot desirable for the masses not just kids ;)

Better than Enchanted Tales with Belle so that's an upgrade?

Splash being replaced by PATF is fine neither fit into Frontieland as they're both in the American South. In fact the majority of Frontierland is set in the American South if anything Thunder Mountain is the one that has to go for thematic reasons ;)

Emperor's New Groove people for Splash scare me it would be the opposite of perfect in that place, luckily the film is more of a B-List Disney film and probably won't be utilized for that.

UNCgolf

Good post, but I would personally like to see CoP reverted to the more consistent World’s Fair version, rather than the current version with the drastic jump between act 3 and 4. I know that I am probably alone for that, but I think the show in its original form is significant enough to the company to be worth preserving (even if the referenced Progress City didn’t amount to what was planned at the time).

I've said the same thing before. It would work better restored to its original version, even if that meant moving it out of Tomorrowland to another location. The time jump is silly, and any update would make it that much worse unless they overhauled all four scenes -- and I don't think anyone really wants that. Another option would be to add some sort of sequel (a bit like what Horizons used to offer) that allows the original four scenes to remain the same but tacks on some new scenes (they could use the currently existing final scene as the start, or modify it to make it the second scene and put in an 80s one as the start) to move into the future.

Goofyernmost

I agree, either the original ending or the current one, but trying to jump it even further into the future would be a disaster. I'm OK with either. It should be valued, but most of the execs currently on payroll, have no interest in the past.

Raineman

Just as I am when it comes to political/social issues, I am a fence sitter/"in the middle" when it comes to this subject. There are things I agree and disagree with from both points of view. Unfortunately, as in politics/religion/etc, extremely opposing points of view lead to alot of nastiness and vitriol, as we see on this forum on a regular basis (although, during this pandemic, it seems to have cooled somewhat). I think change is needed in some areas at WDW, but other areas need to be left the heck alone.

Chicken Guy

Just as I am when it comes to political/social issues, I am a fence sitter/"in the middle" when it comes to this subject. There are things I agree and disagree with from both points of view. Unfortunately, as in politics/religion/etc, extremely opposing points of view lead to alot of nastiness and vitriol, as we see on this forum on a regular basis (although, during this pandemic, it seems to have cooled somewhat). I think change is needed in some areas at WDW, but other areas need to be left the heck alone.
I think it should be noted that being on the “extreme” end of things, at least to me, does not necessarily mean being averse to change. In most cases, the change itself isn’t what bothers me; I understand things need to stay fresh to a certain extent. What makes me upset is that with the Disney company’s modern practices, change inevitably means more IP infusion, a cheapening in quality, and more often than not a lesser product than what we began with. And by lesser product, I keep overall theming in mind. I can’t trust them to make good changes anymore because when they touch the parks, they replace UoE with Guardians and gut attraction space for meet-and-greet locations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom