Disney Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush

lebernadin

I could see Sony Classics picking it up, they've backed quite a few politically driven documentaries over the years.

The most relevant thing is that i will guarantee you that this film will gross more than any of the duds that Disney will be putting out this year.

Roger & Me- $6.7M US-only, against a $160K budget
The Big One- $649K US-only
Bowling For Columbine- $57M worldwide, against a $4M budget
Fahrenheit 911- ???($$$$$$$)

Hence why the Weinsteins salivated and cut the deal with Moore.

I'd rather go skeet shooting with Jayson Williams than sit through that Disney farm movie. :hurl:

It has only made $45M against a budget of $110M. The weekend grosses are halving themselves since it opened at the beginning of April. The April 25th gross was barely $3.6M so this past weekend was probably around $2M. This of course despite being on over 2400 screens still. I don't foresee it coming close to Bowling's numbers despite it being a documentary. :lol:

Lohan's ...Drama Queen only made $29M.

America's Heart & Soul will hit indie houses on July 2nd and looks awfully similar to campaign ads.

Around the World in 80 Days :yawn: if its not a sequel...its a remake...etc.

Princess Diaries 2 see above...

The only film that will, or should rival Fahrenheit in gross is The Incredibles which was made by Pixar and only distributed by Disney.

Shaman

I doubt Disney will let this thing go to someone else...too much money to be made both from box office sales and from DVD sales....if they do, then oh well...I'll still go see it...I don't care who distributes it...

:)

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Disney is also "censoring" a movie I made.

It's about young film-maker who pokes fun at rich, self important executives who have surrounded themselves with sycophants and have such an over-inflated sense of self importance that they can't see how absurd and humorous they appear to "regular people".

Eventually, of course, he becomes what he was making fun of but can't recognize the irony of that.

Damn you Disney! Why are you suppressing my freedom of speech?!

It's a sad funny ending to find yourself pretending
A rich man in a poor man's shirt

-Bruce Springsteen

Butnubb

Disney = Corporate Censorship

Are you conservatives so blinded by Mickey and his friends that you cannot see that your actual American freedoms are being pulled out from under you like a rug? And guess who is tugging at that rug with the most force?...Mickey and Chairman Mikey E and all of the conservatives who benefit from this politcal-corporate stunt.

Stitch79

Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Originally posted by Butnubb
Are you conservatives so blinded by Mickey and his friends that you cannot see that your actual American freedoms are being pulled out from under you like a rug? And guess who is tugging at that rug with the most force?...Mickey and Chairman Mikey E and all of the conservatives who benefit from this politcal-corporate stunt.

Oh good lord, I thought there were not going to be any political discussions on this board? I'm glad that your first post was such an intelligent one. :hammer:

Mia's Daddy

Can you believe people are actually calling The Disney Store and giving castmembers a hard time about this? Like the stores had ANYTHING to do with this film. My wife fielded four calls yesterday about this mess.:brick:

MouseRight

The conservatives are not benefiting from this "Stunt". Moore and those who support him are, because more people will now want to see it. Commentators on both sides of this issue agree on that. Moore has succeeded in getting the word out on this film. Disney's decision in no way will prevent anyone from seeing this film.

My position has nothing to do with Conservative or Liberal. Where in the Constitution does it say that Disney does not have the right to not distribute this movie. The Mouse is in no way infringing on Moore's rights. In fact this decision is actually one that emphasizes the constitution's right to choose and free speech. Moore is free to go anywhere else he wants to get his message out. Disney is not preventing the distribution, they are just deciding not to do it themselves. The Mouse has made a creative decision not to be involved with this film. Plain and simple. In fact my political leanings are more middle of the road, and I would be equally supportive of this decision if this was a movie kncoking the liberal side.

celticdog

Are you conservatives so blinded by Mickey and his friends that you cannot see that your actual American freedoms are being pulled out from under you like a rug?

No their not. This is not a government organization restricting freedoms. This is a private corporation doing business as it sees fit. Disney has the right to protect itself and if that means not supporting this project, then so be it. But no one's freedoms are being pulled out. Moore still has the freedom to go elsewhere.

Wilt Dasney

Originally posted by garyhoov

It's about young film-maker who pokes fun at rich, self important executives who have surrounded themselves with sycophants and have such an over-inflated sense of self importance that they can't see how absurd and humorous they appear to "regular people".

Eventually, of course, he becomes what he was making fun of but can't recognize the irony of that.

-Bruce Springsteen

:lol: :sohappy: :lol: :sohappy:

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Originally posted by garyhoov

-Bruce Springsteen

Yeah Gary!!!!!!!!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Bill

Account Suspended
Moore admits Disney 'ban' was a stunt
By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles
07 May 2004

Less than 24 hours after accusing the Walt Disney Company of pulling the plug on his latest documentary in a blatant attempt at political censorship, the rabble-rousing film-maker Michael Moore has admitted he knew a year ago that Disney had no intention of distributing it.

The admission, during an interview with CNN, undermined Moore's claim that Disney was trying to sabotage the US release of Fahrenheit 911 just days before its world premiere at the Cannes film festival.

Instead, it lent credence to a growing suspicion that Moore was manufacturing a controversy to help publicise the film, a full-bore attack on the Bush administration and its handling of national security since the attacks of 11 September 2001.

In an indignant letter to his supporters, Moore said he had learnt only on Monday that Disney had put the kibosh on distributing the film, which has been financed by the semi-independent Disney subsidiary Miramax.

But in the CNN interview he said: "Almost a year ago, after we'd started making the film, the chairman of Disney, Michael Eisner, told my agent he was upset Miramax had made the film and he will not distribute it."

Nobody in Hollywood doubts Fahrenheit 911 will find a US distributor. His last documentary, Bowling for Columbine , made for $3m (£1.7m), pulled in $22m at the US box office.

But Moore's publicity stunt, if that is what is, appears to be working. A front-page news piece in The New York Times was followed yesterday by an editorial denouncing Disney for censorship and denial of Moore's right to free expression.

Moore told CNN that Disney had "signed a contract to distribute this [film]" but got cold feet. But Disney executives insists there was never any contract. And a source close to Miramax said that the only deal there was for financing, not for distribution.

GoofyFan1

Originally posted by Bill
Moore admits Disney 'ban' was a stunt
By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles
07 May 2004

But Moore's publicity stunt, if that is what is, appears to be working. A front-page news piece in The New York Times was followed yesterday by an editorial denouncing Disney for censorship and denial of Moore's right to free expression.

WOW, am I surprised that the NY Times actually gave this story front page coverage and also wrote an editorial against Disney. They are always so unbiased and truthful.:rolleyes:

Also, I don't understand how a non-governmental corporation is pulling the rug out from under my freedoms by refusing to distribute Moore's film. Even if Disney were to distribute this film, I would not see it because I prefer a more reliable and unbiased source for my information. Lets face it Michael Moore is neither a reliable nor unbiased source of information.

Why is it my freedoms are always being taken away when someone like Mr. Moore doesn't get his way?

MouseRight

Sorry, I have to do it - I told you so. That this was a "Stunt" by Moore/Weinstein to publicize the movie. To beat on the Mouse while he is down for their own advantge is dispicable.

I work at home and my TV is always on and tuned to the News Channels in my office. I don't always watch and listen. But when I do, I try and switch around the different News Channels to get a balanced view on things. I gotta tell you, this country is heading down a dangerous path. We are so polarized between right and left. Between the Bush lovers and Bush haters. In terms of unity and cooperation, The State of the United States is polar opposite to where we were right after 9/11. Then we were united. Today we are divided. This is just an observation. Not trying to blame anyone. There is enough blame to go around.

I know this is naive, but the two sides need to find a common ground and work together to make our country great and to fight those who seek to destroy us and our way of life. If only they could!

It is for this reason that I am glad that The Mouse wants to stay out of this fight.

Shaman

Originally posted by MouseRight
Sorry, I have to do it - I told you so. That this was a "Stunt" by Moore/Weinstein to publicize the movie.

I was saying the same thing...the whole move stunk of a publicity stunt...they were taking a page from Mel Gibson's book...lol....controversy sells tickets, more tickets than normal promotion...

Butnubb

Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Originally posted by celticdog
No their not. This is not a government organization restricting freedoms. This is a private corporation doing business as it sees fit. Disney has the right to protect itself and if that means not supporting this project, then so be it. But no one's freedoms are being pulled out. Moore still has the freedom to go elsewhere.

Certainly you have to agree that there is an obvious "friendship" between the Bush Administraion and Disney when the Department of State encourages people of the world fo visit the United States and does not list National Parks or great cities like Austin or San Diego, but mentions DisneyLand. Moreover, I suggest you think back to the time right after the terrorist attacks in the US when New York City, Washington DC and Disney parks. It seems that Disney is so closely aligned with the Administration and the values (which includes censorship) that they are obviously festering anger in "our" enemies. I guess you can count Michael Moore among them.

Also, if you investigate a little, you will find that Disney said Moore can look for another distributor to buy the rights, but there is going to be a clause so that Disney can reap a portion of the benfits from the success of the movie but want no responsibilty. Mike and Mickey want profit, but don't want to invest in what will be a very successful, truthful, albeit liberal product. Also, as the media has been saying Disney does not want to ruin their chances of contiued tax breaks and protections from both Florida and the Federal Government.

So to say that they are independent of the government is a complete falsehood. And, yes, they are influencing what the general public (made up of the people who vote for presidents, governors and congressional cantidates) is permitted to see.

MrPromey

Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Also, if you investigate a little, you will find that Disney said Moore can look for another distributor to buy the rights, but there is going to be a clause so that Disney can reap a portion of the benfits from the success of the movie but want no responsibilty. Mike and Mickey want profit, but don't want to invest in what will be a very successful, truthful, albeit liberal product. Also, as the media has been saying Disney does not want to ruin their chances of contiued tax breaks and protections from both Florida and the Federal Government.

So to say that they are independent of the government is a complete falsehood. And, yes, they are influencing what the general public (made up of the people who vote for presidents, governors and congressional cantidates) is permitted to see.

I hope you stick around a while. Your posts are highly entertaining...

I wouldn't call owning the company that financed the flick a "clause" that will allow Disney to make money on it but that's just me with my heavy corporate mindset.

Mirimax has a good degree of independence when it comes to what they can and can't do (finances aside) so there are a lot of things that roll through their doors that Disney is probably not thrilled about. I sort of doubt that Eisner and Co. were gleeful at the release of Kill Bill or Bad Santa.

I'd be interested in knowing how you can call this movie "truthful", especially since it hasn't been released yet. Without even acknowledging that Mr. Moore openly lied to America making some major media outlets (and you in my opinion) look like total fools for picking up his artificial cause, you need only look at his previous works to see how he picks an angle and then does everything in his power to bend facts and examples in his favor.

BFC, was a joke. Half the scenes were faked (i.e. bank giving guns out in the lobby) and abstract relations to Columbine and US military affairs on the same day sound a lot more profound than they actually are but to understand any of this you would have to, how did you say it? "Investigate a little"

Funny you should mention the mysterious "special" tax breaks that Disney is getting from Florida, the Federal government (and apparently a few black-ops agencies)... Disney takes advantage of the same tax breaks offered to their contemporaries and if anything, as the largest single site employer in the state of Florida and a major tax payer to the counties they occupy, the state (not to mention the federal govt.), they have more political power over our state than any elected state official could hold over them. The only thing Disney has that actually is special is Reedy Creek Improvement District and weather Jeb likes it or not, he doesn't have the power to take that away from them.

There really isn't anything Jeb could really do that would hurt Disney without hurting their competition as well and since our economy is based mostly on tourism, that would be very stupid of him, even if they did call his brother bad names....

I don't think Disney is looking to influence public opinion by not releasing this movie. Quite to the contrary, I think they are trying not to be accused of being liberal propagandists by distributing a movie that apparently sheds a highly negative light on the current administration and the war during an election year by a person who has a documented history of lying and distorting the truth for personal gain.

The majority of America carries a conservative viewpoint. and they are likely to anger and alienate a much larger segment of their profile customer base by actively participating in his circus rather than staying away from it.

For the record, I don't think Walt, someone who considered himself to be highly patriotic and who made considerable efforts to support the US government during times of war would think too highly of someone who is potentially empowering the enemy by releasing propaganda that attempts to suggest the government wanted or in some way actively helped cause 911 and who is apparently trying to break down support for a war that we are in and will continue to be in regardless of who wins the coming election.

So as a person who just registered and just started posting, what are you? A propagandist with an agenda like Mr. Moore? Someone who knows the truth but would rather sell lies to reap the benefits?... Or someone who doesn't actually know what they are talking about but wants the world to think they do?

If you are the first one, I suggest you look elsewhere to throw flames, most of us around here aren't dumb enough to fall for it... And if you are the second, perhaps you should follow your own advice and "Investigate a little" before running to that keyboard.

Woody13

Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Originally posted by MrPromey
The majority of America carries a conservative viewpoint.

As you know, I like you Promey, but I think you missed a class concerning political science.:lol:

MrPromey

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney = Corporate Censorship

Originally posted by Woody13
As you know, I like you Promey, but I think you missed a class concerning political science.:lol:

I would have to say I believe that statement to be true. If you look at many issues today on subjects that are not appropriate for this forum, in many casese when polled, more than 50% of the adult population seem to fall on what would be called ‘traditional’ values.

For the record, I would say that I’m probably not in that majority in a lot of cases but I’d be embarrassed to call someone like Mr. Moore or to go a little further, Susan Sarandon my spokes people if you know what I mean. :lookaroun

wdwmaniac

Quick question- why do people complain about stupid thing like this? It's a movie so what if a company won't release it. Why not make a big deal about something that might matter. the Homeless, drinking, drugs in America, and the vast other things that should be debated this much not this subject.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom