Disney for Grumpy People?

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
So we begain planning a trip for 2012, when my Dad mentioned it would be a good idea if "the whole family went together so he could see his grandkids there". :hammer:
I love my Dad, and would do anything to make his dream come true, but he can be very "grumpy" and complain when things dont go smoothly. Plus its getting harder for him to get around, and refuses to use a scooter.
My sister is ALWAYS "grumpy" and made the statement that she "doesnt want to go to WDW, the only reason she would go would be because her son (7) wants to go" :shrug:
She has also complained about the $$$ and everything else she could find to complain about... Anyway...
Now Im a very happy go lucky person, not afraid to act like an idiot, hug every character I see kind of person, and Im NOT going to let anyone ruin my WDW trip, but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to handle "grumpy" people when everyone else is having fun.
Is there somewhere they can sit or go that would be relaxing or a good spot to people watch? Somewhere or activity that may ease the "grumpies"? (Besides drinking around the World :lol: )
Neat/Trendy Shopping place? Good Coffee shop? ANYTHING that may make my sisters (and mine) trip better?
I was thinking about sicking some CMs on her... :rolleyes:
Seriously, though, I want this trip to go as smooth as possible, so any suggestions would help.

HouCuseChickie

My #1 tip is plan plenty of time to do your own thing away from the grumpy people and/or those that slow you down. I'm not saying ignore them altogether, but we found that meeting up for meals and fireworks worked better than trying to tour all day together. We went with my parents, brother and SIL back in December and the days we didn't use this strategy were really stressful + we didn't get to do as much.

BigRedDad

I do not envy your situation. Grumpy people ruin vacations. You should find out what they enjoy and point them to those activities. Definitely separate or you will hate it. As for the money, if they are complaining now, it only gets worse. I cannot stand when going there or being around people that complain what it costs to go. You have to assume from the get go that it will be about $800-$1000 per person for a week. If that is not acceptable, then scrap the idea now.

As much as I love WDW, I am not going there to work (make meals, cook, pack lunches, and be cheap). If I want a vacation of cooking and relaxing, then I would go camping in the mountains somewhere. You can go for a week for about $500 for a week for a family of 4.

mrsdanalind

a case of the grumpies.

So we begain planning a trip for 2012, when my Dad mentioned it would be a good idea if "the whole family went together so he could see his grandkids there". :hammer:
I love my Dad, and would do anything to make his dream come true, but he can be very "grumpy" and complain when things dont go smoothly. Plus its getting harder for him to get around, and refuses to use a scooter.
My sister is ALWAYS "grumpy" and made the statement that she "doesnt want to go to WDW, the only reason she would go would be because her son (7) wants to go" :shrug:
She has also complained about the $$$ and everything else she could find to complain about... Anyway...
Now Im a very happy go lucky person, not afraid to act like an idiot, hug every character I see kind of person, and Im NOT going to let anyone ruin my WDW trip, but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to handle "grumpy" people when everyone else is having fun.
Is there somewhere they can sit or go that would be relaxing or a good spot to people watch? Somewhere or activity that may ease the "grumpies"? (Besides drinking around the World :lol: )
Neat/Trendy Shopping place? Good Coffee shop? ANYTHING that may make my sisters (and mine) trip better?
I was thinking about sicking some CMs on her... :rolleyes:
Seriously, though, I want this trip to go as smooth as possible, so any suggestions would help.

First I'd get both of them grumpy t shirts and grumpy hats to warn others, LOL Just kidding. We have a few of those in our family, and finally we had to have a sit down with them. We let them know that the grumpies would only be tolerated to a point and if they want to ruin everyones vaca, then continue to be grumpy otherwise relax and enjoy it. Other than that what are they interested in? Does your father like gardening or sports? What does your sister like to do? Shopping in Downtown Disney will be good therapy for the grumpies ( unless the price puts them in Sticker Shock) Maybe have them plan part of the trip? ESPN sports center is there as well as a fantastic sports bar right on Disney boardwalk. There are all kinds of tours for almost every kind of taste of interest. Maybe they'd be interested in that?
Have fun and BTW drinking you way around the worlds makes for a fine evening.. but the morning after can be painful to say the least. LOL:ROFLOL:

puntagordabob

First I'd get both of them grumpy t shirts and grumpy hats to warn others, LOL Just kidding.QUOTE]

Actually preorder them the Grumpy shirts and let them wear on way to WDW....get em for everybody of course :) I imagine they will be conscious of being grumpy after wearing the shirt hehehe.....and since all of you have the same shirt they wouldnt suspect a thing! :)

powlessfamily4

My sister insisted she go on the trip this year. My brother's family and myfamily are total WDW geekaholics, she is not. In fact she only wants to go because she thinks we are keeping some big mystery from her. We took her one year and it was a total bust... so we said no more. We took her deposit and paid it down for her and now we are not reminding her of her deadline for payment. She has 13 days to come up with her entire trip money and doesn't realize it. SCORE! She won't be going on this trip..... :drevil:

NiarrNDisney

Xanex? :lookaroun

No seriously what activities is your sister in to?

Thus far what I would suggest is:

MK - Shopping on Mainstreet, instead of staying at the park all day have her tour the monorail resorts where she can eat, drink, shop and hopefully be merry!

Epcot - Shopping, eatting, and drinking around the World! Although how can anyone be bored in Epcot?

DHS - Hmmm maybe she should skip this one and do some touring around the Cresent Lake resorts and the Boardwalk! Other wise she can park it at Starring Rolls, Tune in Lounge, a bench around Echo Lake, and or maybe just shop around though its a bit limited.

DAK - Really I can't imagine that she would hate this! However comma if it is just not her thing she can hang out at the Dawa Bar or the Rainforest cafe.
Maybe even head over to AKL for lunch and to tour the resort.

DTD - Eat, Drink and shop till you drop. Rent a boat or take a trip up in the air on Characters in Flight.

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
Thank you all for the ideas/support.

Im thinking the best idea would be separating & meeting back to eat. The only problem would be my Dad would have to choose who to go with & when. Plus I have a girl, my sister a boy so they will be interested in different things. But that would be his issue, not mine.

I've already warned them about the money, which I agree if I wanted to cook, be cheap, etc I'd go camping. So they cant complain about any surprize additional money. And I've already warned them that my family is going to MVMCP, and how much that is too if they would like to join us.

Downtown Disney is a great idea! I didnt even think of that. That maybe more my sister's style if she gets tired of seeing all the happy people having fun. :animwink:

I also like the idea of "its a small world" & the Grumpy shirts...:sohappy:

Im still a little worried about my Dad walking, but between the calm rides and benches, I think he should be ok as long as we pace ourselves. I'm excited to see his face when we get there. He told me he hasnt been there since the '70s!

We went with my parents, my in-laws and my sister in law in 2008. Oh boy...it was fun but we had grumpy people. Mostly the parents/in-laws because they were sore from all the walking. They knew what they were in for but thought they could do it. They joked each morning to see who took how much Advil the night before! My dad was the worst. He has problems with his legs bothering him and he also suffers on and off with vertigo. He never mentioned to anyone until almost the end of the trip that the vertigo had been acting up. We found the best way to deal with him was to let him sit some things out. He was happy for the rest. He still got to see his granddaughters experience a lot of things on their first visit like he wanted to but he got to sit and rest his legs which he needed to do. Plus our youngest was too small for some of the rides then so we did rider swaps and he sat out with her after having his ride and that gave him some down time too. A good meal at night helped get rid of the grumpies too!!

My husband even bought my dad a Grumpy pin. He thought it was great and wore it every day after!! Good luck with your trip. I am sure you will have a good time!!!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
My aunt can be seen as a grump one. She went with her husband, daughter and her two boys, her son, and his wife. She was constantly rushing everyone so bad that they enjoyed nothing and she was always in a bad mood. I was living in Wellington and the time they were there. My girlfriend and I drove up for a day and it was the biggest break my cousins had the entire week.

If someone is grumpy then urge them to slow down and "smell the roses" before they wilt and wither away.

Midforum

We did WDW with a "Grump" last summer. Our solution was to break away from the group for short periods of time (got a snack, had mouse ears monogramed). It was just enough to spend time with the family and not ruin my daughters first trip to the world.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
They both want to go for their kids/grandkids... Highlight that with them.

Tell them how wonderful it can be to see "The World" through the kids' eyes. Make it about experiencing the parks with the kids. Parents and grandparents can't be grumpy when the kids are having the time of their lives. :king:

And if the kids start to get tired/grumpy themselves, enlist their help with turning things around "for the kids". Keep them busy concentrating on the kids and they won't be grumpy.

acishere

As someone who has a father who is grumpy and hates Disney I have a feeling they won't wear those Grumpy t-shirts. As the spawn of a grump who has delved into bouts of grumpiness I'd just stick to my normal wardrobe. Though I love Disney World so beyond refusal to wear the shirt I have no personal experience as a grump to help beyond that. So like an episode of LOST I'll delve back into father issues. Drinking around the world is really the best bet with a 40% of backfiring. At the very least their complaining will just become indecipherable slurring. Split into groups based on interests in order to reduce grumping. Also I think little child will work as degrumpers. When you see your kids/grandkids happy, it makes you happy. That I remember with my father. It would usually last until he saw how much something has been marked up inside the parks. Meaning the happiness will last till you get food.

For the grumpy people, just take them on It's A Small World countless times and they will be fine :)
I'm pretty sure this idea is defined as torture in the Geneva Convention.

olinecoach61

We have had this problem on a previous trip. Our big problem was a lack of communication. The in - laws wanted the grandkids for a day but my SIL didn't want to give them up, etc. Led to all kinds of trouble during the trip. A lot of our issues would have been avoided if everyone just discussed expectations for the trip ahead of time.

stlbobby

I'd get everyone on the web-site and have them see all the things there are to do in the parks and at the resorts. Many people don't realize how many shows, parades, and other non-ride attractions are in the parks.

Then there are so many things to do at the resorts. Food and shopping are obvious, but there are surrey bikes, water craft, and horseback riding just to name a few. Let them see things like Disney Quest, the water parks, and Cirque du Soleil.

Let them pick some activities and help plan the itinerary.

Finally let everyone pick one thing at each park each day that is their must do. That way everyone has their moment everyday.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
1. Take them to the Hall of Presidents and wait for them to nap.

2. The Haunted Mansion, a really long ride, you can sit by yourself. :animwink:

3. Carousel of Progress, always calms me down.

4. Laugh Floor Comedy Club, get 'em laughin and they'll come out smilin'! :)

5. Peter Pan's Flight, who cant come out of it feeling relaxed?

6. Spaceship Earth, combination of #1 and #2.

7. Liberty Square River Boat, escape by going on the opposite side of the boat.

8. Soarin', same with PPF

9. The Great American Adventure, same to HoP

10. Ellen's Energy Adventure, get a few laughs

11. .....last, Journey Into Imagination with Figment.... they walk out... SPEECHLESS :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

Walt Disney1955

Here's the simple solution. Don't go with them. Most of us on here are Disney nuts and love being around other people as passionate as Disney when we ar down there. You know as much as I do how much WDW costs. It isn't cheap. Do you really want to run the risk of going with your family just because? There are tons of other places in the world to visit with them. But do you really want a grumpy person with you in the happiest place on earth?

jlevis

A couple of years ago I refused to use an ECV - I'm a tough old army guy! My wife rented one for herself and as we made our way around she would stop to wait for me as I rested and caught my breath. She would sit there next to me and quietly say, you should try this. Finally I did! They turn the parks from hard work to FUN!!

Juliaz3

I agree with the posters who say try to get the Grumps to focus on the kids' enjoyment. Maybe give them the park maps and try to get them interested in planning rides, parades, and restaurants. There are plenty of attractions that allow you to sit, cool down, and catch your breath, so make sure to let them know there will be "rest" stops. Slow down for the people who can't walk so fast, and use the slower pace to point out the little magical features everywhere. That will make the slow walker seem (and feel like) less of a burden. Drink lots of water, make a joke of everything, keep laughing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom