Disney for Grumpy People?

figment's bud

My advice is to have a daily plan and show it to everyone. Explain to them that it will help make the day go easier. When you get to the parks stick to the plan and if they want to do something different then they know what you are doing and can meet up later.

Also do not go at a rushed pace when you get in the parks, my family has a tendency to do this and it enhances the grumpiness in people. If the grumps like to eat plan a dinner at Hoop-Dee-Doo, Liberty Tree Tavern, or The Luau, where they can get all you can eat delicious food which always helps.

My father is the same as yours, he refused to ride a scooter. Finally 2 trips ago he got bad enough he had to rent one or he wasn't going to be able to go and see all the grandkids in the parks. So we had an agreement of he can have days without the cart and days with the cart, makes him feel better. Also keeps him happier longer.

Best of luck to you, I feel your pain.:brick:

ddrongowski

I am one of those "grumpy" people you speak of. So here is what "ungrumpies" me at WDW.

1. The excitement and joy that I see in my child. Have your kids interact with "grumpy dad" it will make it better.

2. When the "grumpies" move in have the kids say something like "There is no grumpy at WDW except for that one dwarf, and your not working the mine."

3. Sugary sweets. Nothing quite like that suger high and then dropout to calm the "grumpy".

4. Another saying related to item 2 above, you could say this. "Do I look like Snow White? Then stop acting like a dwarf."

Hope this helps.

Since1976

When it comes to planning group trips, I also cannot help but stress over this same issue -- making sure everyone is happy or, failing that, figuring out a way to get away from the unhappy people.

What I've found in practice is that even the biggest grumps can get swept up in the magic of the place. Sure, they may not go all out and hug every character in sight, but their stony facades often weaken.

Sure, there are those who can't let go of their cynicism about a Disney vacation no matter what, and if they're willing to spoil everyone else's good time, you are right to cut them loose as soon as the opportunity arises. They'll either accept and go off on their own, or realize that they are being grumps and make a real effort to engage.

One thing's for certain: stressing out over potential conflict is not really worth it. You won't be to blame if they do not have a good time. And if they start to ruin your good time, you have a right to get away from them!

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
I can't thank you all enough for all the ideas and support. You all have definatly helped me feel better about the trip. I need to focus on my own happiness and less on trying to please everyone.
I like the idea of the schedule. I will tell them what are plans are and they will have to decide what they want to do. Separating as much as possible too. And I'm sure my little princess will have no trouble making my dad smile!
Thank you!

Pooh Lover

Disney World is way too expensive and your vacation time too precious to allow "grumpy" people to let your Happy Place be anything less.

If you know going into this that there are potential problems, you should have an exit strategy or forget it. I know it sounds harsh but if you are like me, you don't get to DW every day, so you need to make the most of it and worrying about things like this are a bad start to a trip. Make plans to meet up for part of the day or for meals and don't be afraid to let them go their own way if things get bad.

Minnie1976

Stay in different hotels. Meet up occasionally and let the grumpy people do their own thing. They will probably be happy doing their own thing and so will you.

rustysgirl

i tend to have my grumpy times as well. i don't mean to, but sometimes the crowds & just general things that people complain about are things that get to me...well anyways, you were talking about the grumpy shirts, i wore a shirt with grumpy on it to the MK one time, and it was a busy day there so of course there were times when i started feeling grumpy...well long story short, there were numerous times when a CM saw my shirt & made comments that made me smile. so maybe wearing a shirt & having a good laugh about it will help. just a thought :)

MaryJaneP

I agree with a combo of previous posts.

1. Plan both together time and separate time. Recent family reunion (30+) at WDW my family (3 kids) put together schedule that had AM together in one park to ride rides together with cousins, PM apart, and reconvene for night (meal, fireworks, or show).

2. Have the talk with the grumps before the trip. "Blame" the kids that you expect the grumps not to voice their displeasures ever during the trip because it would ruin the kids vacation.

We had grumps but fortunately the above plan worked great for us.

ThatBrunette

Me too!

I have a similar trip coming up in November. My family-in-law has already sucked the fun out of the Happiest Place on Earth! I understand your dilemma.

Plan some 'alone time' for yourself. I plan to disappear into the Haunted Mansion. Give yourself some time to see your favorites without the distraction of family.

Know your grumps and plan for them.

My MIL also has health and mobility issues. She would love to do the 'boring' rides with a companion to get rest, get cooled off and for the conversation. I've planned on being the companion into my itinerary. While the kids are on Buzz Lightyear, we will be on the People Mover and the Carousel of Progress. I also bought the Hidden Mickey book by Steven M. Barrett for her resting times. If we go to Hall of Presidents, I will have to plan in some extra time for her story-telling. "Oh, I remember when Millard Fillmore was president..."

My SIL will complain about the cost of everything or if my MIL is paying, will get the most expensive item. I'm giving her a list of free and cheap things to do in the park.

Plan in some quiet times for the group or parts of the group. WDW is a busy and noisy place. It can try the patience of the biggest Disney fan.

mrsdanalind

QUOTE=ThatBrunette;4669408]I have a similar trip coming up in November. My family-in-law has already sucked the fun out of the Happiest Place on Earth! I understand your dilemma.

Plan some 'alone time' for yourself. I plan to disappear into the Haunted Mansion. Give yourself some time to see your favorites without the distraction of family.

Know your grumps and plan for them.

My MIL also has health and mobility issues. She would love to do the 'boring' rides with a companion to get rest, get cooled off and for the conversation. I've planned on being the companion into my itinerary. While the kids are on Buzz Lightyear, we will be on the People Mover and the Carousel of Progress. I also bought the Hidden Mickey book by Steven M. Barrett for her resting times. If we go to Hall of Presidents, I will have to plan in some extra time for her story-telling. "Oh, I remember when Millard Fillmore was president..."

My SIL will complain about the cost of everything or if my MIL is paying, will get the most expensive item. I'm giving her a list of free and cheap things to do in the park.

Plan in some quiet times for the group or parts of the group. WDW is a busy and noisy place. It can try the patience of the biggest Disney fan.[/QUOTE]

:wave:Do something like we did with our "spendthrift, unless it's someone elses money" give them a budget, and let them know in no uncertian terms that if she is responsible for any "overages" in that budget. :wave: I can almost guarentee that there will not be any overages. :ROFLOL:

ThatBrunette

Do something like we did with our "spendthrift, unless it's someone elses money" give them a budget, and let them know in no uncertian terms that if she is responsible for any "overages" in that budget. I can almost guarentee that there will not be any overages.

Great idea! I wish I could. The money isn't mine so, the budget isn't mine. My MIL is a soft touch so, I don't know if I could make her stick to the rules. It is nice to know someone has dealt with the same problem and has a solution. Thank you for responding to my dilemma!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom