Disney for college students

dove_

Hello, I'm new here, and I wanted to see if I could find any good tips for college students visiting disney world.

I'm going with a few friends, who pretty much haven't really been to the parks (one has never been, the other two were in probably 1st grade, so they couldn't ride much and didn't really get the whole experience). We're 18 now, and I want them to experience WDW the right way, and get to see why I love the parks so much!

There are four of us total, I'm currently planning on staying in a value resort (probably pop! or music). We have parkhopper tickets for 5 days, but no water park option (we wouldn't really use it, and we're not much of water park people anyways). We're arriving in the morning on Dec. 14, and leaving in the evening on the 18th, which means we leave the sunday after our final exams are done. :) I want to make sure that I find the best deals for them, so that they aren't worried about money and not being able to buy souveniers while we're there, but I don't want them to have to give up some magic in the meantime.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Should we get the DDP? I've researched it and decided that it would save money if we did the character breakfasts (which I figured would get us in the parks early and everything, and are really cool anyways), but I think that since we're pretty small and all girls, we could get away with eating cheaper.

2. Are there better off-site hotels? We can't rent a car, and I would only consider it if the price was low enough that we could maybe stay another day at disney and the shuttles weren't too slow and too much of a pain. If anyone has any experience, that would be great.

3. I'm also considering staying at Fort Wilderness in a tent, which is $60 cheaper per person, but I don't know if that would be more work for us, who will be go-go-going all day long, and if it will get freezing at night in december (It gets freezing here overnight in Michigan even in the middle of august). Any thoughts?

4. Any other money-saving tips would be nice. I can't find any discount codes yet, because it's so far away, but if you know of anything I could shave off, every little bit counts!

Thank you!
(It would also be cool if this thread became a compilation of tips for college kids looking to go to disney on a budget, but don't worry about that. :) )

pinkstar15

Welcome, My DBF and I are in college and we are going this may. I definetely think you should stay in the value because of the convience and price. Im staying in music. I think camping would be a hassle but that is just me. If your flying use the disney magical express instead of wasting money on a car. We got the dining plan which is great to try new resturants but if you really want to save money then i would skip it and just eat at the cs places and maybe do one nice dinner. One way that we saved was by collecting loose change the whole year. I had about 200 as about a month ago. I also used reward points from my parents disney visa card, but i dont know if you all have that. Anyway i hope this helped. Feel free to ask me anything. Have a good trip:wave:

Upvote 0

krankenstein

Grad student here. :wave: I would prefer to stay on property. I like having the transportation to and from the parks and being able to park my truck and forget it. As far as ways to save money, I have a bag and everyday when I get home I take all the money that is a dollar or less and put it up. I started doing this around a month ago and already have around $300 put up for my trip in May. Another thing I always suggest is bringing small snacks and a bottle of water into the parks with you. You can refill the water bottle at any water fountain. I know you have the dining plan, so this won't apply this trip but I also take in 3 things of vitamin water to drink with my meals. It is amazing how much you can save when you stick to counter service meals and do not buy anything to drink while you are at the parks.

Upvote 0

Bug715

Ok all this is coming from a Disney freak soon to be College Senior. Some past history about me: I was in the college program Fall '07, went back for spring break in March, am going for my 21st birthday in July, will be back for fall break in October, back in December with my parents, & possibly back next spring break to apartment hunt and moving down when I graduate.

STAY ON SITE!! Stay in Pop which is the newest of the values and really fun to explore and take fun pictures. I have only stayed off site once (outside my time on the College Program) and didn't like it at all. A Disney Resort is half the magic. Also, it can be handy to get to and from the parks because the buses are continous not once an hour like some area hotels. A friend and I went the summer after senior year of high school and would lay out in the morning and casualy head to the park which we wouldn't have been able to do if we didn't stay on site. Also, sending packages (purchases) back to the resort is AMAZING!!! When I was on the college program this is what I missed the most. So when my parents were in town I would send everything to their room just for the heck of it.

Now the DDP. My family and I have never done this plan but my mom's friend's family did it and said that they got a ton of food. If you are only going to be there a few days you won't want to waste the time at a sit down meal. I believe that the character meals at Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace aren't too expensive. A way to cut food costs is to do a character brunch (the latest breakfast time possible) that way it fills you up until dinner. On my trip after high school my friend and I packed snacks (granola bars, etc) that we would take into the park or have in the room to munch on before we left or when we got back. You think that you'll want to get into the parks early for the breakfasts but since you'll most likely be hitting the Extra Magic Hours every night you will be getting in around 2 or 3 am and not really wanting to get up at 7am to go eat. At least I wouldn't want to.

Other money saving tips: Either rent a fridge for the room and bring bottles of water or buy a bottle early in the morning and keep refilling it from the fountians throughout the day. If you like a few photopass pictures wait until the end of the trip because there are some packages that you could get if you buy a bunch at once instead of one at a time.

That's everything I can think of at the moment. Let me know if you have any questions.

Upvote 0

dove_

Original Poster
My boyfriend's family is on the DVC, so I will probably ask if they have any points or something they won't use, seeing as it will be at the end of the year, and they refresh every year, I believe.

Yeah, I figured staying onsite would be best concerning transportation, we would definitely go with the Magical Express, the last few times I've used it were great, and since we can't rent a car anyways, it's perfect.

I figured using a tent would be a lot of work, and it only saves us $60 per person, and I thought that $60 wasn't too much to spend for the luxury of a room, and not feeling like we were working a lot while we were trying to relax in 'the room'.

I'll definitely do the water bottle thing.

Any suggestions for bags? When I go with my family, my dad would bring a backpack filled with waters and snacks and stuff, but I'd like to travel light so I don't have to worry about it while I'm on a ride and won't feel weighed down carrying it around. I'd like something small enough to fit in the little pouches most rides have, but big enough to supply 4 people with necessities.

Upvote 0

dove_

Original Poster
You think that you'll want to get into the parks early for the breakfasts but since you'll most likely be hitting the Extra Magic Hours every night you will be getting in around 2 or 3 am and not really wanting to get up at 7am to go eat. At least I wouldn't want to.

Oh, hahaha. I went in June '07 with DBF and family, they were there for 8 days, I was only there for 4 with them. Determined to get all my Disney in, we went to the EMH whenever possible (including the night we got there, starting at midnight), and I woke up (without an alarm) no later than 8 after getting to bed around 2-3 every morning, just because I was that excited. So sleep's not a problem for me, lol.

But I would like to ask you some questions about the DCP, if you were willing. I'm thinking about doing it in spring '10, and none of my advisors really know all that much about what I want to know. Just tell me and we can PM about it or something.

Upvote 0

LordHelmut

No clue if this has been mentioned yet...

On-site = EMH - Extra Magic Hours only available to on-site guests. If you stay at All-Star Music/Movies they also have some activities (movies, guitar hero...others)

On-site has a number of advantages, especially with a group that may not want to go the same direction all the time.

The fridge thing is $10 a day. Walmart sells them for the same as rental for the number of days you are there... not sure you can really use it though.

one difference on-site hotels are hopping fom 6am to 2am

Upvote 0

Bug715

Oh, hahaha. I went in June '07 with DBF and family, they were there for 8 days, I was only there for 4 with them. Determined to get all my Disney in, we went to the EMH whenever possible (including the night we got there, starting at midnight), and I woke up (without an alarm) no later than 8 after getting to bed around 2-3 every morning, just because I was that excited. So sleep's not a problem for me, lol.

But I would like to ask you some questions about the DCP, if you were willing. I'm thinking about doing it in spring '10, and none of my advisors really know all that much about what I want to know. Just tell me and we can PM about it or something.

Feel free to PM me. I'm a campus rep now so I should have some answers.

About a backpack. Since I was little I've always had a smaller backpack to carry water, camera, money, & autograph book in. I know that years ago they sold them outside of tourist places but I'm not sure anymore. I bought a new one on my program since mine hit the 10 year mark. I like taking a backpack even if it doesn't fit in the pouches on the rides because i just put my leg through the strap and hold it between the back of my leg and the seat. I believe that most purses would work but make sure there is a zipper so nothing flies out mid ride.

Upvote 0

Ravenclaw87

Hi there--- another soon to be college senior here!

I definitely agree: stay onsite! It's just not the same if you don't stay on site (as I'm sure you know) and the newbies will appreciate it all the more. Besides, I've heard some horror stories about the "good neighbor hotels" shuttles--- they're terribly unreliable. Although, if your DBF's parents can give you some DVC points, that would be even better; the resorts are absolutely gorgeous.

2. Every time DBF (also in college) and I have gone, we've gotten the DDP. Yes, we could eat cheaper if we just did counter service and snacks, but the thought of just eating fries and the like all week is just not appetizing. I'd talk to them about it, and ask what they want to spring for.

3. (I think that's been covered, haha)

4. I agree with the "save your change"; but, I also know that a lot of us college kids just use our debit cards for everything! If you have Bank of America, they have a "save the change" program, so you could do that. I would also maybe just set aside a part of your paycheck for the trip.

If you want to take the essentials for four people, definitely take the backpack, and split the carrying of the backpack four ways. :)

Oh, and another water tip: bring those crystal light/etc powder single serving thingies! The water in Florida is not very good, and it makes it a lot easier to go down.

I have one question: you said you have the park tickets already? Did you buy those already? Because, if so, then it might be difficult to get deals because you won't be able to buy a package. Just wondering!

Upvote 0

dove_

Original Poster
Ravenclaw87:

Yeah, I use a debit card for everything, haha. But I have saved up enough from work so that with what I have now, I can definitely cover my trip, as long as I get a summer job :) Same with my friends, I believe. Everyone said that they can cover it, and the tentative price (including meal plan) would be $761 each (including flights).

No, I don't actually have the tickets, haha. I should rephrase that. I meant that I was planning on getting them, we haven't gotten anything yet, since it's still preliminary.

All the online reviews of the off-site housing sounded awful.. terrible hygiene, unreliable shuttles... I didn't think it would be worth it, so we're most likely staying onsite unless some sort of amazing deal shows up. And yeah, I wanted them to stay in the hotel, since it is a great portion of the experience, I believe.

Upvote 0

jpm46

I'm in a similar situation. I'm visiting with my girlfriend for the first time on our own in August. When we went to book our package, we got "roped" into an upgraded package that essentially included the DDP & an upgrade from All-Star to Caribbean Beach for only about an extra $500 (which we were going to spend on food anywase). It's tough to turn down, my only hang up is the DDP. Any additional info/help you can give about it would be great.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Ravenclaw87

I'm in a similar situation. I'm visiting with my girlfriend for the first time on our own in August. When we went to book our package, we got "roped" into an upgraded package that essentially included the DDP & an upgrade from All-Star to Caribbean Beach for only about an extra $500 (which we were going to spend on food anywase). It's tough to turn down, my only hang up is the DDP. Any additional info/help you can give about it would be great.

Thanks!

What do you want to know? :)

I think the DDP is great for college couples: you get to go out to a nice restaurant every night! It's like one big, long date.

Upvote 0

jpm46

1. What's the best & worst thing about committing to a DDP?

2. Can you order anything off the menu for your table service and quick service meals? What, if any, restrictions have you come across?

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

As a recently former college student, I totally understand the budget issue. However, I think the best advice I can give is to save up and be able to stay on-site at a value. Staying off-site is appealing to save money but as you mentioned, no rental car. A tent? Hmm, I'm not a camping person, but I'd avoid this if you can. Of course this will vary since we may be very different people but I'm imagining me and my 3 best friends from college...spending a week in a tent, at disney world and let's just say I am not getting pleasant vibes! I think you'll find saving up will be worth it as I do believe in the saying "If you're gonna do it, do it right." You may have to skip a few extra things between now and the trip, but in the end it will be worth it to have a bed to sleep in! Good luck with the planning and keep us updated!

Upvote 0
I've never stayed on site but I can tell you that unless you have a car, the outer areas of WDW are not really worth it. Some hotels offer free shuttles for Disney but it will take even longer getting to the park that it would just hopping a shuttle at a value resort within Disney, so if you guys are there for Disney only, stick with the hotel.

Bit of a shame you havent got wheels really to some degree, theres cheaper places to eat outside the world. Which might not be as special but always help.

Far as I can tell, the upside of the DDP is that you never nessecarilly have to worry about food, but this can be a pain if you see something you want and it's not on the list of items that the DDP allows you to have. Plus if you want a really fancy meal you have to trade 2 meals for it. All in all, even with the dining plan you might want some money on the side just in case food wise.

In terms of meals, well McDonalds is one of the cheaper places to eat on property and the counter service is never too bad and more reasonable than the resturants. Some of the counter service resturants also have a salad bar on the side that you can take as much as you want from so bear that in mind

Also the best character meal value wise on property is Crystal Palace. They do a breakfast in the MK for about $18 each.

Upvote 0

teddygurl28

well im slightly older than you, but not much, money wise im probably in the same position hahha, im going to disney in august because the price was perfect, id definately stay in a value resort with a standard room and do magical express, that way its the cheapest room but you are on property and even disney value resorts are still nice and free transportation all around the world....as far as the dining plan goes...it dpends on the type of food you guys like to eat, i tend to think the basic dining plan is worth it, it gives you a cs, a ts and a snack a day, so i always look at it as a quick snack, a lunch on the go and then a nice dinner to start off the night, but thats my preference, that is really something you have to sit down and look at some menus and say is it worth it and do we really want to eat here....you may want to think of the atmosphere you want to be in as well....and savings is key...every penny i get goes into my savings jar at home and at the end of every week any money i have left over in my wallet goes in the jar. from now until my trip im living on a pretty tight budget, which is probably what you will have to do, but it will make it all worth while when you are there ...good luck! :wave:

Upvote 0

Ravenclaw87

1. What's the best & worst thing about committing to a DDP?

2. Can you order anything off the menu for your table service and quick service meals? What, if any, restrictions have you come across?

1. (a)The best thing about DDP is that you get to eat at a lot of restaurants that you or, at least I!!) wouldn't be able to avoid regularly. A big part of WDW is the restaraunts, and it's nice to be able to experience that.
(b) The worst thing about DDP is having to make ressies SO FAR IN ADVANCE! I don't even know what I want for dinner today, nevermind what I want for dinner 5 months from now. But, I think it's a negative that's certainly worth it.

2. I have found VERY few restrictions; I think the only place I found them was Alfredo's--- I couldn't order the "platter" dessert that cost about $20 and had a sample from all of the other desserts. But, Alfredo's isn't even THERE anymore, so no worries! My boyfriend was able to have cheese fries with his meals (he was quite a happy camper) for no extra cost, too. It's quite nice. I usually save the CS dessert for a snack later on!

And, as you might know, snacks are pretty much anything under $4 that are single serving. Snacks are always noted on the menus though. (You can get drinks as a snack, but I tend just to buy my drinks--- I'd rather pay $2 for a water or a Diet Coke, and get an ice cream later "for free")

I'm sorry I answered more than you asked! If you need any other advice for "Disney for college couples" just let me know; I'll be more than happy to help!

Upvote 0

dove_

Original Poster
I haven't gotten up the nerve to ask about extra DVC points from my boyfriend's family, I'm not sure how they work and if it would equate to me asking for a handout for a trip none of their family is going on. Can anyone enlighten me about how the points work?

Also, my boyfriend's mom pointed out a stay-and-fly hotel that will save my friends and I a lot of stress, if not money. There's lots of hotels that do this, and they let you stay for a night either before or after you leave, or both, and give you a certain amount of day's parking, like 7 or 8, for one fee. It rounds up to about $100 at the one I'm using, and saves us the worry of driving 3 hours across Michigan at 3am in the middle of December, which is totally worth it.

Upvote 0

Ravenclaw87

Okay--- so, to my understanding from what my grandparents (who are DVC) have told me, this is how the points work:

You buy so many "points" a year. Let's say, just for easy numbers, your DBF's family has 200 points. A night at a DVC resort is then equal to so many points, depending on the size of the room and when you go, as well as what resort you stay at. (Old Key West, for instance, is only a few points a night, but Yacht Club and Wilderness Lodge are more.) You said somewhere that they stayed in WDW for 10 nights, right? That most likely took up at LEAST 100 points, probably more.

But, you can also "bank" and "borrow" points from previous and past years. Like, if they didn't go in 2007, they could have banked all of their points from the previous year, and they could have borrowed points from 2009.

So, would it be kind of like asking for a handout? Well, yes and no, heh. How close are you to your DBF's family? Have you asked DBF about it? It is kind of a careful issue, seeing as they're the ones who pay for the upkeep and whatnot of their "points." I'd ask DBF first what he thought.

Hope that helped!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom