Disney fan conventions

Herbie

Original Poster
Have there ever been any Disney fan conventions (y'know, celebrity guests, autographs, panels, photo ops) outside of D23? I know of one in North California that had its first event only two months ago, and I'm surprised that thats the only one I can find any info about. Are there any in Florida? Or anywhere else at all?

Figments Friend

There is a yearly 'Disneyania' event held at the Contemporary Resort at WDW.....at least, there used to be.
It's been ages since I've looked it up...but it used to be a popular fan event for collectors of all things 'Disney'.
Might be worth researching to see if they are still taking place.

These were fan operated events, and not 'official', but that in no way means they were not as fun or interesting.
:)

-

hopemax

There is a yearly 'Disneyania' event held at the Contemporary Resort at WDW.....at least, there used to be.
It's been ages since I've looked it up...but it used to be a popular fan event for collectors of all things 'Disney'.
Might be worth researching to see if they are still taking place.

These were fan operated events, and not 'official', but that in no way means they were not as fun or interesting.
:)

-

You really haven't been paying attention, have you :) . The last Disneyana Convention was held in 2002, and the Contemporary Events were "official" Disney.

The Disneyana Fan Club (DFC) (formerly known as the NFFC) has twice a year conventions in Garden Grove, CA. They just celebrated their 30th Anniversary. I've gone to a few conventions starting in 2000 (I think I've been to maybe 6 of them). The main convention is in July, the week of DL's birthday. They have a smaller weekend event in Jan/Feb. The earlier conventions were better simply because there were more "old timers" healthy enough to participate; so many are gone now. Also, it seems like in the earlier years Disney was more willing to work with them to bring in people to talk current projects, and now Disney would rather focus on ComicCon or their own D23. And just the people have changed, more Disney people are short term or contract, voice talent is big names, etc. and don't always have the time to devote to smaller conventions. But, I went to the last convention and while it was much smaller, it was still interesting.

There are also local chapters of the DFC around the country. How much interaction you get, depends on the location. There is one in FL, called the World Chapter. The ones in CA and FL get the most guests, due to proximity to Disney employees and retirees. Other states, the local chapters are more like get-togethers with people with similar interests.

http://disneyanafanclub.org/ And they have links to the local chapters, and you can see their events. Some of them have set up their own weekend conventions around the country. The Ohio chapter usually has something in Dayton (http://daytondisneyana.org/). And in Seattle area there is the Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet (http://www.pnwmousemeet.com/Home.php).

Figments Friend

You really haven't been paying attention, have you :) .
The last Disneyana Convention was held in 2002, and the Contemporary Events were "official" Disney.......

Yeah...i have drifted away from the fan scene at WDW so that explains some things.
I knew they used to hold Events but like I said, it's been ages since I've paid attention to current happenings.

Egad, has it really been that long...?
2002 was the last DFC Con at the Contemp...?

Jeez..I suddenly feel really 'old' now....

:jawdrop:

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom