Disney faced with lawsuit in Mission: Space death

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSoldier55

this family is so rediculous. why wait an entire YEAR to say anything at all about suing disney. they all need to go jump off a bridge because there is no way in hell they have a chance in the world at winning this case. there are AMPLE warnings posted throughout the attraction, and its not like he rode the freakin thing by HIMSELF, he was with his mother, she could of said, ok this is going to be too intense, you need to not ride, but NO, she was like ok sweety pie, come on, your a big boy. now after what happens, she wants to blame disney for HER mistake. god i hate stupid people. :mad:

executivechef

Thank you DDuck1974, your view was very impressive and accurate to the point. I yield and applaud.
In summary I believe you should defend Disney and use part of your post as opening statement...lol J/K
Thanks for the post, I enjoyed.
Guy

wannab@dis

DarkSoldier55 said:
this family is so rediculous. why wait an entire YEAR to say anything at all about suing disney. they all need to go jump off a bridge because there is no way in hell they have a chance in the world at winning this case. there are AMPLE warnings posted throughout the attraction, and its not like he rode the freakin thing by HIMSELF, he was with his mother, she could of said, ok this is going to be too intense, you need to not ride, but NO, she was like ok sweety pie, come on, your a big boy. now after what happens, she wants to blame disney for HER mistake. god i hate stupid people. :mad:
Let's try to keep this thread civil, please. :wave:

goofntink

Can you say frivolous lawsuit! Won't stand up in court.1.Autopsy proved he had heart defect which caused death.Even stated could have happened at any time.2.Met height requirement and CM's can't judge a childs age,that is the parents job.3.Should be required to provide all medical history on the child, bet once they are asked for it they will back pedal real quick!Personally Disney should check to see if they paid for his admission to the park,they probably lied and said he was 3. Also should make them pay court and attorney fee when it gets thrown out.

TAC

DarkSoldier55 said:

And, you know that, how, exactly? Just because it might seem logical to you, does not mean it will seem logical to a jury. Ask a lawyer about juries. Most trial lawyers will tell you that juries are unpredicable.

TAC

goofntink said:
Can you say frivolous lawsuit! Won't stand up in court.1.Autopsy proved he had heart defect which caused death.Even stated could have happened at any time.2.Met height requirement and CM's can't judge a childs age,that is the parents job.3.Should be required to provide all medical history on the child, bet once they are asked for it they will back pedal real quick!Personally Disney should check to see if they paid for his admission to the park,they probably lied and said he was 3. Also should make them pay court and attorney fee when it gets thrown out.

I've said this before...when the tort system is changed so that if you sue someone and lose, YOU pay the defendant's attorneys fees and ALL court costs, then, and only then, will these kinds of lawsuits stop.

TAC

DDuck1974 said:
I would be very interested to see the actual complaint that has been filed by the attorney.

[SNIP for length]

(And a technical p.s. -- Disney would not be "guilty" because this is not a criminal lawsuit. They could merely be found "liable.")

So, would you, based upon the information you have at the present time, have taken the case for the plaintiffs ?

Captain Chaos

People take a deep breath and relax.... Just know this family WILL be walking away with money... How much is to be determined by the lawyers in this case... This won't go to trial... Disney will settle... End of story... Gosh golly oh gee...

sunsoother

Lawsuit

The issue is not simply whether they were warned. The issue is whether the ride is inherently dangerous. Is there something so harmful that no amount of warnings can make up for the risk built-in to the ride itself?

That's the legal perspective. From the family's point of view, they went to WDW for a great time. They lost their child. Should a ride kill? How many deaths are acceptable? 1? 2? 10? At one point does it show a REAL problem with the very existence of the ride?

I agree the warnings are there. But look at it from another perspective. Ski lift tickets all say, "we cannot be held responsible for rocks, dirt, boulders that exist on slopes..." But that won't protect them if they not only post warnings but make EVERY REASONABLE EFFORT to make it safe.

I don't know the answer, but this doesn't not seem frivolous. Maybe some good can come from this. Visitors become more educated, Disney becomes better prepared to handle cardiac emergencies...

DDuck1974

TAC said:
And, you know that, how, exactly? Just because it might seem logical to you, does not mean it will seem logical to a jury. Ask a lawyer about juries. Most trial lawyers will tell you that juries are unpredicable.

So, so true. See, e.g., the McDonalds coffee lawsuit. You would be surprised what some jurors focus on when they deliberate. It is definitely not always what the lawyers on either side think is important.

TAC said:
I've said this before...when the tort system is changed so that if you sue someone and lose, YOU pay the defendant's attorneys fees and ALL court costs, then, and only then, will these kinds of lawsuits stop..

Agreed, and that raises an interesting point. In Florida, you are entitled to serve something known as a "proposal for settlement." If the plaintiff serves the proposal, and the defendant rejects it, and then the plaintiff wins a verdict at trial 25% or more over the amount of the settlement offer, the plaintiff can recover all of his attorney's fees.

(Ex: Plaintiff offers to settle for $100,000, defendant rejects and plaintiff wins $150,000 at trial. Under a contingent fee agreement, the plaintiff's attorney could get 35-45% of that $150,000. However, because of the proposal for settlement, the attorney could recover all of his fees based on his normal hourly rate from the defense, and would not recover the contingent fee amount. So, if the lawyer, based on his hourly rate, would have billed over $1 million in fees, the defense would have to pay it, even though the client only recovered $150,000. Trust me, this happens. I have seen it.)

Now, this rule does work both ways. Disney could offer to settle the case, and if Plaintiff rejected, and then won 25% or more less than what Disney offered, Disney could recover all of its attorneys fees. (I.e., Disney offers $50,000, plaintiff rejects and is only awarded $10,000 by the jury, Disney could recover all of its attorney's fees.). This, in theory, should help reduce frivilous lawsuits, but what if the plaintiff has no money. You can't squeeze blood from a stone, so to speak, and most corporations don't want the negative publicity of going after a family for attorney's fees.

You can see the headlines now: "Multi-billion dollar company Disney sues middle class family of five for attorney's fees, threatens to take their house."

TAC said:
So, would you, based upon the information you have at the present time, have taken the case for the plaintiffs ?

I would not. I have not seen the complaint, nor the medical records, but based on what I have seen, I do not think they have a good case. I think if the case ultimately gets moved into federal court (which I suspect Disney will attempt to do if possible), it will get dismissed without Disney paying a dime. In interest of fair disclosure, however, I am admittedly biased by the fact that I do all defense work.

Gucci65

Buried20KLeague - good post!!

Actually many good posts, but I'm too lazy to look everyone up.

Good points.

Mr Bill

"Mouse Tales" has a rather lengthy section about lawsuits in Disneyland. The basic representation it gives is that Disney knows a BS lawsuit when they see it, and will fight it in court, and will only settle if they know that they were liable. I'd really like to see Disney take this route with this case. It could be entirely different though, as it's about 12 years later, and in Florida rather than California.

netenyahoo

Everyone knows there are plenty of warnings about health conditions. Her son could have died during his sleep or anytime. Having the height restrictions raised to 48" would not have helped her son as he still had the heart condition.

Everyone runs the risk of dying at anytime or any place. She is not suing Disney to help others, but only to get money. I feel sorry for her loss, but the money will not bring him back.

Captain Chaos

I was just talking to my cousin, a lawyer, Disney fan, and lover of M:S about this... He mentioned that McDonald's and the hot cup of coffee... he said, and I quote "This lawsuit and the McDonald's coffee lawsuit are totally different. Where the McDonald's lawsuit was frivilous because a reasonable person would know or suspect the coffee to be hot, this lawsuit isn't frivilous because a reasonable person would not expect to die from riding an attraction..."

When i asked about the health condition, he said... "undiagnosed condition is the key.... Since the doctors did not notice a heart condition, a reasonable person would suspect they are completely healthy and figure those signs do not apply to them. In this case, the mother, thinking her son is a healthy 4 year old boy, let him ride M:S due to the fact that she did not know he had a condition that would kill him. Unfortunately, the G forces on the ride as well as possible fear factor of the ride aggrivated his condition and he passed away."

I also brought up his age.. Again I quote.. "Parent would be responsible for making the decision for him to ride or not. Since Disney does not have an age restriction, but rather a height restriction, and since the boy met the height requirement, and since the mother figured her boy was a normal, healthy 4 year old, there is no reason for her to not let him on the ride. She made the decision it was OK for her healthy, normal 4 year old to ride this thrill ride. This does not put her at fault."

I asked him if Disney was at fault... He was silent for a moment. he said.... "Possibly. I will have to read more into this before I can comment if this looks bad for Disney or not. As of what I read online and we talked about, this family will walk away with a ton of money. One way or the other. More than likely, Disney will settle."

We ended the call with him saying he would still ride the thrill version on M:S... Any questions you guys havem please ask.. he is willing to answer anything that he can... In fact, I told him to join the board and discuss this with everyone here. He said he may, but he doesn't have a lot of time to come here and post...

TAC

DDuck1974 said:
I would not. I have not seen the complaint, nor the medical records, but based on what I have seen, I do not think they have a good case. I think if the case ultimately gets moved into federal court (which I suspect Disney will attempt to do if possible), it will get dismissed without Disney paying a dime. In interest of fair disclosure, however, I am admittedly biased by the fact that I do all defense work.

Thanks for your commentary. :)

nyfrenchy

dxer07002 said:
Wrong, just wrong... The doctors didn't diagnose him, how was the family supposed to know?? This is ludicris... And what is the family's fault?? Letting their child on a ride in which he fit the height requirement?? In that case, blame Disney for making the height requirement low enough for a tall 4 year old to ride... Maybe an age restriction would suit you????

So who is to blame then other than "$hit happens" ? The healthcare system of this country for not providing extensive top notch medical examination to all its young citizens?

DarkSoldier55

netenyahoo said:
Everyone knows there are plenty of warnings about health conditions. Her son could have died during his sleep or anytime. Having the height restrictions raised to 48" would not have helped her son as he still had the heart condition.

Everyone runs the risk of dying at anytime or any place. She is not suing Disney to help others, but only to get money. I feel sorry for her loss, but the money will not bring him back.

very well said.

Captain Chaos

nyfrenchy said:
So who is to blame then other than "$hit happens" ? The healthcare system of this country for not providing extensive top notch medical examination to all its young citizens?

:brick:

Since a doctor couldn't detect this condition, how the heck was the mother to know her some had a life threatening condition??? Go back and read the post I responded to. He says the family is out for revenge and putting the blame on Disney rather than knowing their child's condition. So, again, how the fudge is a mother supposed to know her 4 year old son has a life threatening heart condition when the doctors didn't even know???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom