Disney experts read!

bucklmd

Original Poster
Since there are so many Disney experts on this forum I was wondering if anyone ever has a hard time carrying on an intelligent Disney conversation with friends & family? Here's 1 of many examples for me.

Last night I was talking to a friend about my recent trip to WDW. He asked if we went to Universal Studios and I said no b/c I would rather devote ALL of my Orlando time to WDW. We proceeded to talk and I mentioned riding on Tower of Terror. He says, "I thought you didn't go to Universal." Oh the disgrace!! I just figured, why even discuss anything else? I feel like I'm speaking a different language sometimes. Anybody else have similar stories?

Not an expert, but love to have fun

I understand your issue completely. Many of my friends couldn't handle an hour at an amusement park with their kids, never mind the thought of spending the money on a trip to Disneyworld. To me it's all about that special feeling you get and the atmosphere that surrounds you letting you forget whatever might be going on at home and work. The excitement and expressions of our kids is priceless and anyone who thinks I like going to Disneyworld just for my kids is mistaken! Call me selfish!

strobe

I've always been baffled at the Universal / MGM thing. Even people IN the park don't know which one their at sometimes. I understand the parks are similar and someone who doesn't go a lot may tend to run them together, but it is a bit frustrating.

I've found you really can't argue with a lot of these people either. Most people think they know everything, and there is just no way they are going to admit they made an error. I had a long debate with someone once, who INSISTED they had "Back to the Future" in MGM. I even pulled up the Universal and MGM websites, the response was "Well, it was there when I was there". :lol:

You can't win!

SewIn2Disney

My one pet peeve is people who say Walt is frozen.

I had an hour long argument with a COLLEGE history professor and my class about it. No one was on my side. I even brought in pictures of his burial plot and death certificate. They said it was a fake.

It's a lose lose situation.

I have many more but they just get me sooo aggrivated.

Grrrrrrrr.:hammer: Some people are too ignorant for me:hammer:

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
These are probably the same people who watch The Batchelor, The Batchelorette, American Idol, etc. etc. etc.

Bet they know all there is to know about those ignorant shows.

I get the same thing from people where I work. Unless it's about UT sports, they are clueless.

FanofDinsey1981

Originally posted by HennieBogan1966
These are probably the same people who watch The Batchelor, The Batchelorette, American Idol, etc. etc. etc.

Bet they know all there is to know about those ignorant shows.

I get the same thing from people where I work. Unless it's about UT sports, they are clueless.

Hey! I watch american idol!

and I watch sports!

And anytime I go on vacation, I read up BIG time on where I am going. I hate the tourist syndrome of not knowing where or what is going on. I check out books at the library, etc. I don't get people who go on vacation because someone told them it is a good place, yet they don't do any research on the place.

However, I think most of us are spoiled with this forum, where we find others just like us. We cannot blame others for their lack in a subject, as they may not be passionate about something.

I find this problem a lot when I disuss Shakespeare. (ps, if anyone does want to talk shakespeare, please PM me. I would be happy to discuss.) or when I talk about movies (art and foreign and old.) or when I disucss novels. or philosophy. but that is because they are not passionate about what I am. I do get frusterated.

Keep talkin' to us, we will help out with your need for good disney disucssion. :)

SpongeScott

Originally posted by SewIn2Disney
My one pet peeve is people who say Walt is frozen.
Great. Thanks a lot. What's next--there is no Santa Claus?

Sadly, people really do think he is frozen. Walt, not Santa.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
I think what's at issue here is those who "bash" or are critical of Disney in some respect, yet don't have the slightest clue about the Company, parks, resorts, merchandise, etc etc.

Certainly we all have our own tastes, likes and dislikes. Not everyone is a Disney fan. Nor should they be. We're speaking of people that just don't get the whole Disney thing with us, yet speak on it as though they have a working knowledge of Disney.

FanofDinsey1981

Originally posted by HennieBogan1966
I think what's at issue here is those who "bash" or are critical of Disney in some respect, yet don't have the slightest clue about the Company, parks, resorts, merchandise, etc etc.

Certainly we all have our own tastes, likes and dislikes. Not everyone is a Disney fan. Nor should they be. We're speaking of people that just don't get the whole Disney thing with us, yet speak on it as though they have a working knowledge of Disney.

Oh, no, I totally agree. If you are going to be critical of something, you certainly should know something about it. I also don't like hearing things like "MGM and Universal are the same" while they are standing IN MGM. I don't think I was quite clear enough in my above post. There was a comment made about those people who watch reality tv shows, and i was trying to say how we each have our own likes and dislikes, it seemed as though they were saying if you don't like dinsey, it is because you like sports or reality tv. I just thought that was an odd critique of such people.

ItstheM

I went to Blockbuster after coming home from Disney and asked the girl who worked there if she had any Disney documentaries b/c I had just been there. She said they did not, and started to tell me how the only place she liked at Disney was the one with the giant golf ball!!!! I wanted to smack her upside the head...but did not....

Dwarful

Yeah, I am in the same boat. Although the thing we hear all the time is "Why on earth do you want to go to the same old place year after year after year?" They don't understand our love of disney, or our desire to go back as much as we can. Hubby and I took alot of flack when we picked a WDW resort for our honeymoon destination, but we loved every minute of it, even brought home "a little souvineer" ;)

Still, those who don't love Disney, well, they just don't get it. Its the same w/most things, baseball, hockey, football etc. To non -Disney people its all Orlando and Disney World means Magic Kingdom, but hey that could be a whole other thread! Just grin and bear it, then come here and post, we all understand you.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
That was me who made that comment on the reality tv. My direction/point about that was most people in this country, if you believe the tv ratings, are watching so-called reality tv. My opinion is that a vast majority of those people are largely uninformed on a lot of "real" issues not only in this country, but in their own back yard. Their reality tends to be "who's getting eliminated tonight" on the latest bonehead reality show. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of these shows, as I feel it plays to the unrealistic expectations of people. In other words, these are situations that NEVER happen, yet they are passed off as such. It's due to a lack of talent and good writing for tv that these shows even exist.

Anyway, I'm getting off track here. The point is a lot of those same people will comment on Disney based on what they've heard 3rd person, without even knowing the truth. For instance, if all you heard from someone was that Michael Eisner was soley responsible for the successes of the comany, then that would be your perception/reality of Disney's current economic situation.

So when people hear that Disney is "stealing" from some poor family who's patriarch created the character Winnie the Pooh, then it tends to make Disney look like the evil empire. We have to educate in this area, just as in any other area of life. You could probably educate me immensely on philosophy, etc.
Since I know nothing about it!!! lol

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
And just to further back up my issue with reality tv: If you beleive the tv ratings, more people watch reality tv than watch debates, primaries, election results, cspan (house/senate) debates and votes. I just think it's a scary trend.

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by Dwarful
Yeah, I am in the same boat. Although the thing we hear all the time is "Why on earth do you want to go to the same old place year after year after year?"

:fork: yes that is one I hear often and it drives me crazy!! Ignorance is bliss I guess

Dwarful

Hey Hennie, not to drift here,but, unfortunately I think that more people are watching those "reality shows" than they are watching the primarys, state of the union, etc. Personally I don't watch alot of tv, and when I do, its usually Law & Order, Monarch of the Glen, or Are You Being Served? I am too busy living my life to watch other people pretend to be living theirs!

But, I certainly hope people dont think that what they are watching is reality.

General Grizz

Oh, my favorite kind of thread.

Here's my most common:

Me: "I'm heading over to EPCOT this weekend."
Person X: "Oh! I thought you were going to Disney!"
Me: "Uh...EPCOT is in Walt Disney World, yes..."
Person X: "But EPCOT isn't DISNEY!!"
Me: "Are you talking about the MAGIC KINGDOM???"

Shaman

Originally posted by General Grizz
Oh, my favorite kind of thread.

Here's my most common:

Me: "I'm heading over to EPCOT this weekend."
Person X: "Oh! I thought you were going to Disney!"
Me: "Uh...EPCOT is in Walt Disney World, yes..."
Person X: "But EPCOT isn't DISNEY!!"
Me: "Are you talking about the MAGIC KINGDOM???"

:lol: People can be so funny sometimes.....*sigh*

FanofDinsey1981

I think that the ratings are also very misleading. Many of the fans of shows like american idol are younger kids, who don't have the right to vote yet. and another deception is that I can read the news on line, and in newspapers, where as for reality tv, it is only in one spot, tv. I do agree that there is a downhill slide where americans are turining away from watching such stuff as CNN and CSpan and prez debates and such, but there is something else where people have to like it or show interst in it to like it. I get my info from the web, (ok, ok, and the daily show),but it does not mean people are misinformed about the world around them just because they do watch other shows. I only want to defend those whom you are talking about, because i am one of them. I am an educated person, but I still like watching my reality tv. I just found it very odd that there was some kind of seperation between those who love disney, and those who watch reality tv. I am, however, seeing you points. and unfortuantly have to agree with you too.

anywho, I do love coming here and having conversations like this one, because there is some intiliectual level to it. thank you HennieBogan1966. :)

lborne

The worst are my friends and relatives who live NEAR Disney, and should know better. One brother in law worked for Disney for 15 years, so other than his family, I can't talk to anyone else without having to explain everything to them.

It is always the same. Everyone calls the Magic Kingdom, Disneyworld. They have no clue what Disney/MGM studios are, and get it confused with Universal Studios. And the always ask about the new zoo. But, then again, it is not just Disney - they have no clue that IOA and Universal are two different parks.

Oh, and when we went on the Disney Cruise, an older couple at our table actually complained about the cruise cause there were too many children.

csaguy

Disney expert

We (my family) love to go to WDW and confuse the newbies.
"Did you know Shamu is in the lagoon at EPCOT".
"They have a new Terminator ride at MGM".
I agree that some people think that WDW encompasses Universal and Orlando. I hate to talk long with them.

On the rides that take photos we usually point the wrong way or make faces.

The ToT and M:S are good because just as it starts someone will yell "It didn't do that before" or "That doesn't sound right"

I think the next time we go, I'll ride the Materhorn!

Bob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom