Disney executives have come up with the answer to rock bottom Cast Member morale

Club Cooloholic

I’m asking. I want to know. Lol
Like any job, who your manager is and even who you are as a person and your goals will determine how much you enjoy your job. If you went to college and got a degree in marketing but your selling dole whips you might have a different mentality than the guy just happy to be working there. For what it's worth they have a pretty good record on glass door for a variety of positions.
Post Correction, That was the company as a whole here is FL...a little less great.

rk03221

Genuinely curious, is it all CMs who have low morale? Just front line CMs? Is it low pay? Long hours? Basically, who is mad and why? What are some legitimate responses WDW could do to fix the issue? Keep in mind, in an operation with 75,000 plus employees pre pandemic, it is entirely possible that no one really knows the mood of the whole workforce. It could be too diverse to generalize.

All Disney needs to do is pay the cms better, that’s all there really is to it. Other than that cms get good health insurance, time off and a pension. Speaking from a former cm not that long ago, Disney, universal and most workplaces around Orlando pay like dirt and the average cost of rent in the area keeps skyrocketing. The metro Orlando area is getting pretty close to NYC and LA rent wise

lightguy

The metro Orlando area is getting pretty close to NYC and LA rent wise
Really??? Because I live in the DC area and rents are commonly $2,000 to $3,000+ a month for a 1 bedroom even 30+ miles from downtown. ...though I find that nuts since it's more than my mortgage. I'm not disputing that rents in Orlando are high (I'm actually curious what they are like, anyone know???), I'm just pointing out that rents have gone crazy all over the Country.

Lilofan

All Disney needs to do is pay the cms better, that’s all there really is to it. Other than that cms get good health insurance, time off and a pension. Speaking from a former cm not that long ago, Disney, universal and most workplaces around Orlando pay like dirt and the average cost of rent in the area keeps skyrocketing. The metro Orlando area is getting pretty close to NYC and LA rent wise
Metro Orlando for $1.5K a month for a 1 bedroom gets one a nice set up, washer dryer in apt, clubhouse, gym, swimming pool, tennis courts, gated community . $1.5K monthly in NYC will get one to live in a shoebox.

Last edited:

Disorbust

My daughter has been looking since June preparing to go back. Mainly winter garden/Windermere/Celebration. The 1Br at Evander Square precovid was 1300 is now 1700. There was a recently article in the Orlando Sentinel That compared rents in LA to Orlando and Orlando was pretty dam close to LA rates without the West Coast Salary

Lilofan

My daughter has been looking since June preparing to go back. Mainly winter garden/Windermere/Celebration. The 1Br at Evander Square precovid was 1300 is now 1700. There was a recently article in the Orlando Sentinel That compared rents in LA to Orlando and Orlando was pretty dam close to LA rates without the West Coast Salary
Evander Square has beautiful apts in Celebration with the amenties that go with the price. LA similar rates won't even get one as close to the amenities of Evander and or Celebration atmosphere.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO Disney has a problem that there is no clear career ladder wether you are in corporate or in the parks. I have one daughter now at a big 4 firm and yes she works like a dog but she knows if she performs she will be senior in 2 years and manager in 4-5 years. The other daughter at Disney has co-workers who are in the same role as she is and have been in that role for 20 years or longer, she is the youngest on her team and also works like a dog but doesn't see much of a career ladder. She loves her job, which I told her, is rare but if you don't "love" you job and your talented I doubt your going to stick around for long when there are many other companies to go to. So they lose talent.

In the parks they had pre-covid their management professional internships that last a year. Instead of creating more leadership roles, they hire PIs, that have no applicable degree or experience to manage CMs that have experience. I don't know if it is a way to work around the union or what but people stay because they LOVE Disney, however IMHO covid and furoughs have changed that love.

I also have to give Disney props for ASPIRE. It does give you an opportunity to gain the degree/skills for advancement. But it is very difficult to work full time and finish a degree. My daughters friend in guest relations did ASPIRE and left the company for a better job so Aspire helped her but I don't think Disney benefited from it.
100% true. Disney is terrible about how they promote and when they do promote, they move managers all over the place into departments they have no experience in. Then in an effort to put their stamp on things, they screw it all up and then it has to be undone by the next guy. The biggest piece of magic of Disney is how they make it look organized because it’s a mess behind the scenes.
Sadly this is not unique to Disney. My husband worked at sea world for 2 years as a host, wanting a server position and when positions opened, they wouldn’t even give him an interview. He knew the menu, the operation, is great with guests, well liked by his co workers, and had no attendance issues. The inability to recognize people who aspire to something better within the organization is atrocious in the industry.

Lilofan

100% true. Disney is terrible about how they promote and when they do promote, they move managers all over the place into departments they have no experience in. Then in an effort to put their stamp on things, they screw it all up and then it has to be undone by the next guy. The biggest piece of magic of Disney is how they make it look organized because it’s a mess behind the scenes.
Sadly this is not unique to Disney. My husband worked at sea world for 2 years as a host, wanting a server position and when positions opened, they wouldn’t even give him an interview. He knew the menu, the operation, is great with guests, well liked by his co workers, and had no attendance issues. The inability to recognize people who aspire to something better within the organization is atrocious in the industry.
Some execs rise up being promoted into areas they are unfamiliar with in the real world. That is nothing new. Eventually some will rise up the food chain and when they manage bigger areas they select key people to run those areas that report to the exec. These execs get their work done thru others so they don't have to be experts in all areas.

eliza61nyc

which is a problem nationwide.
So what's the solution? @Lilofan hit the nail on the head, housing cost are skyrocketing. let's do some armchair math. If you follow the money gurus your rent should not be more than 30% of your pay. okay at 1,500 month for rent you would need at least 5000 grand a month or ~60k a year.
Translate that to hourly wages and according to some we should be paying every joe and jane at least 30 bucks an hour!! to flip burgers or load people onto a ride.

lol why go to college if walmart should be paying 30 bucks a hour?

now let's talk about the folks in NYC, like @Lilofan mentioned you're going to bump that up to at least 2500 bucks a month. again if we use the 30% rule you'd have to make at least 8300 a month. Now NYC is a bit of an outlier because they have rent control and other helpful programs but the realty is no these jobs are not going to ever pay 80 grand a year so the idea of "livable wage" for some jobs is ridiculous.

could it be we are looking at it wrong? should we be questioning why the rents are so high in the first place or why Orlando is not doing more to provide affordable housing?

Basil of Baker Street

Some execs rise up being promoted into areas they are unfamiliar with in the real world. That is nothing new. Eventually some will rise up the food chain and when they manage bigger areas they select key people to run those areas that report to the exec. These execs get their work done thru others so they don't have to be experts in all areas.
I've always felt the same way about politicians. Some of the most important decisions of our city state and federal governments are being decided by people who won a popularity contest.

mhaftman7

I really don’t get people. Always blaming the higher ups for their “Lack of opportunity”. There is a reason when you don’t get promoted from within. You have two options at that point. You can deal with it, or you can leave. People that are qualified to do the position they are seeking can find it anywhere. If you don’t have the necessary work experience, why would any company pay you top dollar to do it? If the job doesn’t pay you what you need to survive, don’t take it! If you just need a job so that some income is present, take the low paying job and continue to look. It’s not complicated. The answer isn’t just pay people more. It all has a trickle down effect. The $10 per hour employee moved to $15 per hour just because only promotes negative change. Instead 8a to 430p with a 30 minute break, it’s now 8a - 6p with a 60 minute break. Also, because you are working more hours, your number of days will be cut back to keep your hours down. Because $15/hr at 32 hours pays you more than $10/hr at 40 hours, right? But the company also doesn’t have to give you full time benefits, but your making more money. To make things better, you’ll also have to do more work because instead of 6 - $10/hr employees, it’ll be 4 - $15/hr employees. How unfortunate that two employees lose their job so you can make more money with no justifiable reason. Okay okay. Let’s say you, as an employee, get everything. Unjustifiable raise. No loss of total hours. No layoffs. That would be great! However, do you not think the level of customer entitlement would not be raised significantly? The only way a company can justify unjustifiable raises is, you guessed it, pass it on to the consumer. If 50,000 people get an average of $200/week raise, that adds $520M per year to operational expenses. How many companies are willing to take a half billion dollar loss annually? So that theme park ticket, over priced low quality food (that everyone loves to complain about), that over priced souvenir, The already expensive room rate, all become inflated. And in all honesty, the company will likely hike the price significantly. Not enough to break even on their loss, but enough to make a profit. So that $7500 trip for the Smiths just became $10,000 and they couldn’t get on RotR and you don’t think someone is gonna hear about it? But hey, you’re making more money for no additional actual work, skill, or responsibility. Is that truly worth $10,000?

TikibirdLand

I really don’t get people. Always blaming the higher ups for their “Lack of opportunity”. There is a reason when you don’t get promoted from within. You have two options at that point. You can deal with it, or you can leave. People that are qualified to do the position they are seeking can find it anywhere. If you don’t have the necessary work experience, why would any company pay you top dollar to do it? If the job doesn’t pay you what you need to survive, don’t take it! If you just need a job so that some income is present, take the low paying job and continue to look. It’s not complicated. The answer isn’t just pay people more. It all has a trickle down effect. The $10 per hour employee moved to $15 per hour just because only promotes negative change. Instead 8a to 430p with a 30 minute break, it’s now 8a - 6p with a 60 minute break. Also, because you are working more hours, your number of days will be cut back to keep your hours down. Because $15/hr at 32 hours pays you more than $10/hr at 40 hours, right? But the company also doesn’t have to give you full time benefits, but your making more money. To make things better, you’ll also have to do more work because instead of 6 - $10/hr employees, it’ll be 4 - $15/hr employees. How unfortunate that two employees lose their job so you can make more money with no justifiable reason. Okay okay. Let’s say you, as an employee, get everything. Unjustifiable raise. No loss of total hours. No layoffs. That would be great! However, do you not think the level of customer entitlement would not be raised significantly? The only way a company can justify unjustifiable raises is, you guessed it, pass it on to the consumer. If 50,000 people get an average of $200/week raise, that adds $520M per year to operational expenses. How many companies are willing to take a half billion dollar loss annually? So that theme park ticket, over priced low quality food (that everyone loves to complain about), that over priced souvenir, The already expensive room rate, all become inflated. And in all honesty, the company will likely hike the price significantly. Not enough to break even on their loss, but enough to make a profit. So that $7500 trip for the Smiths just became $10,000 and they couldn’t get on RotR and you don’t think someone is gonna hear about it? But hey, you’re making more money for no additional actual work, skill, or responsibility. Is that truly worth $10,000?
You might consider reading a bit about the false narrative of meritocracy. Clifton Mark wrote an article on this back in 2020: A belief in meritocracy is not only false: it’s bad for you.

mhaftman7

You might consider reading a bit about the false narrative of meritocracy. Clifton Mark wrote an article on this back in 2020: A belief in meritocracy is not only false: it’s bad for you.
In all honesty, the article comes off as some guy who is jealous and got passed over for a raise, position, or promotion because of one of the factors he wrote about. Look, IMO, there are counter points to his entire article that justify ones position. Hopefully you aren’t promoting raise and promotion as a just because factor. Why would a burger joint pay someone $15 to cook burgers if they have no experience? Why would a business promote someone to a management position when they don’t outwardly display leadership skills? The real argument is cost of living and justifying basic necessity pricing. Hypothetically, if the average worker in make believe county earns $250 per week, the landlord that charges $700 per month for a one bed room apartment because he can is just as much a part of the problem.

At the end of the day, I think a lot of it is based on your outlook on life. I believe in signs. When the signs are there its easy to make a decision. I personally got passed over for multiple promotions that I was more than qualified to do. The fact that I got passed over wasn’t the problem. I knew that other opportunities would present themselves. The problem was that the company I worked for promoted promotion from within. One promotion went to someone from outside the company. The other went to someone who only had 6 months of position experience. I saw it as a sign of how that company valued me. I made a lateral move. Which ultimately was a better decision and has allowed me to succeed. I know my value at my current company and what my career path over the next couple years is expected to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom