Disney employee stole $112K from restaurant register, deputies say

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I think a bit of numerical perspective needs to be given - putting aside the large amount of cash she was caught holding on camera, if you take the amount of her stealing some 5'000 per month - this works out to only 250 per shift (to make the math simple I calculated a month as 4 weeks and 5 workdays per week). Looking at the price of food on the menu, it isn't unreasonable to say that a family of four would pay around 50 for the meal. So she'd only be making (on average) 5 refunds per shift. Looking at the numbers in this way, I can understand why it may have taken nearly 2 years to uncover it. When you read 112'000 you think how did they miss this, but then when you see how much that meant on a daily basis, it is less evident. And as someone who has to look into this sort of issue from time to time in my job, there is often a huge difference between "knowing" that something is off and being able to "prove" it.

KevinYee

You both are missing how the scam works. The til matches up with the expected amount.. and the counts match up. Because the cash is taken from the drawer for a REFUND, not simply skimming from the drawer. She authorizes a refund, but instead of giving the money to the customer, she just keeps it. Because it's services, not goods, there is no inventory to show up as missing when the refund is done fraudulently.

The point is the POS accounting and management of it should have flagged the behavior, or at least had better controls on the refund process itself. 'who is watching the boss' kind of oversight. Every refund would probably need an override, and so they can track who is authorizing the refunds. The lady probably knew what level of activity would tip off the alerts in the system and would stay under them.

Back in the 90s, the Disney POS machines spit out a summary report per cashier login. This report was used to reconcile the drawer. The cashier counts what's physically there, records it on a handwritten sheet (so many 20s, so many fives, etc) with the total, and the Working Lead turns it all in to a central Cash Control facility. There it's counted again, and if it doesn't match, the cashier would eventually get caught for having lied, so there are controls built in when it comes to just skimming money.

Back to the summary report. At the bottom it also listed how many refunds were issued and the total amount of those refunds, as well as how many overrides. A "refund" is when you reverse a transaction and hand cash (or credit card payment) back to someone on the spot. An "override" was when you pretend the transaction didn't exist, store the receipt for the Lead to later remove from the system, and re-do the transaction the correct way.

It required the Lead to issue a refund--cash on the spot. Overrides could be dealt with later; a cashier had the right to collect the offending receipt and store it a special envelope for this purpose, and simply re-start the same transaction with the Guest standing in front of them.

It is possible to have some very low-level theft with this system. If a cashier had a customer not want her receipt, he could keep the receipt in the Override folder, and the Lead at the end of the day would take that order out of the system, and the cashier could wait for the privacy of the "counting out" time at the end of the shift to pocket the $26.97 (or whatever) so that the cash matches the summary report. The Lead is unlikely to double-check in the system that a similar transaction was rung up after the offending $26.97, because who has time for that with every cashier?

But the Lead *should* scan the summary report really quickly. If there was four overrides and $100, you might well pause to ask about it. If you asked about it last week and the same cashier now has five, you might tell them a paper trail is coming their way if they don't operate the cashier more carefully. Click the button for "subtotal", which still lets you make changes, rather than jump straight to "total". Wait for the Guest to hand you money before you click "total".

For a cashier to have hundreds of dollars in overrides per shift means the modern day reports don't show overrides, or Leads aren't checking for them.

*note: doubtless, many of the specifics mentioned above aren't done in the modern company, like handwriting dollar amounts. Much more is likely to be computerized than was the case in my day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It required the Lead to issue a refund--cash on the spot. Overrides could be dealt with later; a cashier had the right to collect the offending receipt and store it a special envelope for this purpose, and simply re-start the same transaction with the Guest standing in front of them.

It is possible to have some very low-level theft with this system. If a cashier had a customer not want her receipt, he could keep the receipt in the Override folder, and the Lead at the end of the day would take that order out of the system, and the cashier could wait for the privacy of the "counting out" time at the end of the shift to pocket the $26.97 (or whatever) so that the cash matches the summary report. The Lead is unlikely to double-check in the system that a similar transaction was rung up after the offending $26.97, because who has time for that with every cashier?

But the Lead *should* scan the summary report really quickly. If there was four overrides and $100, you might well pause to ask about it. If you asked about it last week and the same cashier now has five, you might tell them a paper trail is coming their way if they don't operate the cashier more carefully. Click the button for "subtotal", which still lets you make changes, rather than jump straight to "total". Wait for the Guest to hand you money before you click "total".

For a cashier to have hundreds of dollars in overrides per shift means the modern day reports don't show overrides, or Leads aren't checking for them.

But two things.. they said she was doing refunds, not overrides canceling transactions. Refunds may be very 'common' in the Guest Recovery model so they'd draw less attention. And she's only averaging a hundred or two dollars a day. When Disney is charging $40/head for food.. a $100-$200 bill is not that uncommon. Overrides may be more telling about 'mistakes' or customer initiated changes.. where refunds would be GR... and just expected to happen in some degree. Maybe she simply knew refunds would be less scrutinized.

Second, she was the lead... so 'who is overseeing the boss' is the point :)

wdwfan4ver

Unless you're one of the upline management staff in charge of this fiasco, why you do need to know "how much money really wasn't accounted for"? It could be just the $112K or a $1mm. Other than your curiosity why should the actual amount matter? Do you really think even if the auditors figure it out they would want to embarrass themselves by publishing an even larger theft?
There is curiosity because I wanted to see if this is a just a single eating placing that has unethical employees getting away with stuff at MK, or a problem for all the shops in that theme park or all WDW theme parks. The actually amount would matter because it would explain the amount of time Disney didn't do anything to that employee. The amount you mentions does make a difference depending on the size of a company. I can see $112K not being a lot to a company being stolen when it is the size of Disney, but that total would be huge for a mid size or a small company. You see college teaches only a certain amount of money is considered substantial depending on the size of the company.

The amount matters in terms of how widespread this is since the system to prevent this behavior is working for Columbia Harbor house, maybe other stores and eating places in WDW theme parks might have similar issues that aren't reported. The fact is MK in 2015 supposedly had over 20 million guests if the numbers are correct. That in return means all the shops and eating places in magic Kingdom should be making a lot of money each day and having unethical employees handling money.

What I was getting at with Auditors is the fact this crime started in May of 2013, but yet she went on through March 2015. There should've been checking on the numbers for the end of the fiscal year in 2013 or 2014 to see if they matched with the claim. They could've fired that employee at that point in the later part of 2013 instead of March of 2015. Disney's Fiscal year supposed to end at the end of September each year.

I know businesses that do check if everything matches every year when the fiscal year ends and I Disney would've done something similar.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know businesses that do check if everything matches every year when the fiscal year ends and I Disney would've done something similar.

Again.. the scam used does not result in missing money to 'find'. The money was improperly authorized to be refunded.. but instead of going to guests, it went to the CM.

What would have to be identified is the pattern of behavior and identifying the refunds as fraudulent in some way.

KevinYee

Second, she was the lead... so 'who is overseeing the boss' is the point :)

Somehow, I missed that. In my day, yes, a Lead would have been able to get away with this for years probably. Probably true now, too. You have to trust someone, unless you're the East German government, so Leads have some latitude usually.

The only hope would be Big Data. If the amount of refunds is higher for one location than most (or by percentage of sales), it should be flagged. And then you can analyze who was Working Lead each time. If that pattern doesn't match, you could search cashier records. Certainly Big Data could do it, though it's possible they never thought to put these queries into place as standard practice. I bet that has changed now with all this negative publicity.

donaldtoo

I was a CM at our local Disney Store from August of '09 to October of '13, and was a Lead Mgr. for over a year of that time. With all the procedures we had in place, there is no way this could have happened on even remotely close to such a large scale (unless maybe if more than one was involved), even if you're only talking about the relatively small daily amounts.
Maybe F&B has a somewhat different system?
Also, I'm curious as to what the reasons were for the refunds, or if that kinda' thing is even recorded in some way at an eatery... "All the food was terrible. We want a complete refund!"...?!

rob0519

There is curiosity because I wanted to see if this is a just a single eating placing that has unethical employees getting away with stuff at MK, or a problem for all the shops in that theme park or all WDW theme parks. The actually amount would matter because it would explain the amount of time Disney didn't do anything to that employee. The amount you mentions does make a difference depending on the size of a company. I can see $112K not being a lot to a company being stolen when it is the size of Disney, but that total would be huge for a mid size or a small company. You see college teaches only a certain amount of money is considered substantial depending on the size of the company.

The amount matters in terms of how widespread this is since the system to prevent this behavior is working for Columbia Harbor house, maybe other stores and eating places in WDW theme parks might have similar issues that aren't reported. The fact is MK in 2015 supposedly had over 20 million guests if the numbers are correct. That in return means all the shops and eating places in magic Kingdom should be making a lot of money each day and having unethical employees handling money.

What I was getting at with Auditors is the fact this crime started in May of 2013, but yet she went on through March 2015. There should've been checking on the numbers for the end of the fiscal year in 2013 or 2014 to see if they matched with the claim. They could've fired that employee at that point in the later part of 2013 instead of March of 2015. Disney's Fiscal year supposed to end at the end of September each year.

Let's break it down at least a little. The time period is approximately 27 months. Assuming she works 5 days a week that's approximately $207 a day refunded to the customers with the approval of the head cashier. Some days she probably took more, some days less based on the volume of the restaurant. For QS of that size, it's probably not out of the ordinary for that much money to be refunded on a daily basis. At Disney prices that should be maybe 10 to 20 customers a day at the most out of maybe a thousand or more. If it was approved by a trusted employee it looked reasonable. How she got the money into her pockets and out the door would be a bigger curiosity to me.

The amount and the length of time of the theft only matters to the company, the direct managers, the thief and well, maybe the shareholders. So maybe it should matter to me, but in the scheme of things as you said, in a company the size of Disney it's almost meaningless. Other than for curiosity's sake this should not matter to anyone else. It's not going to lower the price of food because the thief was caught. It's not going to stop anyone from going to Disney because it makes their auditors look incompetent. And in the end most of here are still going to go back and give them our hard earned money for someone else to steal.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Somehow, I missed that. In my day, yes, a Lead would have been able to get away with this for years probably. Probably true now, too. You have to trust someone, unless you're the East German government, so Leads have some latitude usually.

The only hope would be Big Data. If the amount of refunds is higher for one location than most (or by percentage of sales), it should be flagged. And then you can analyze who was Working Lead each time. If that pattern doesn't match, you could search cashier records. Certainly Big Data could do it, though it's possible they never thought to put these queries into place as standard practice. I bet that has changed now with all this negative publicity.

That's not even a big data task. Those systems do exist. I have no idea if they are in use with Disney. Sometimes it could flag because of a problem in the kitchen that generated increased refunds for example. Or if employee #23467 is refunding orders 37% more frequently than their peers there may be an issue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was a CM at our local Disney Store from August of '09 to October of '13, and was a Lead Mgr. for over a year of that time. With all the procedures we had in place, there is no way this could have happened on even remotely close to such a large scale (unless maybe if more than one was involved), even if you're only talking about the relatively small daily amounts.
Maybe F&B has a somewhat different system?
Also, I'm curious as to what the reasons were for the refunds, or if that kinda' thing is even recorded in some way at an eatery... "All the food was terrible. We want a complete refund!"...?!

You are dealing in merchandise... they aren't.. for one thing. So there are no inventory that needs to be recovered and accounted for.
They have extreme Guest Recovery policies in the park.. probably far far greater latitude than you had in the stores.. this would speak to the justifications that needed to be logged if at all.

donaldtoo

You are dealing in merchandise... they aren't.. for one thing. So there are no inventory that needs to be recovered and accounted for.
They have extreme Guest Recovery policies in the park.. probably far far greater latitude than you had in the stores.. this would speak to the justifications that needed to be logged if at all.

Yep, merchandise vs. food is exactly why I inquired regarding the differences in policy and procedure.
The only experience I've had in food service was working concessions through Sodexho (now Sodexo) for events at University of Texas facilities (UT football games, basketball games and tournaments, concerts, etc.) to help earn money for both our DDs HS choirs.
We were given a starting bank that was recounted and signed off on by both parties. We counted and verified the number of sausages, hot dogs, drink cups, nacho boats, etc., we started with, and did the same again at the end of the event. Then we were audited to compare ending inventory to ending bank. It was all very well-tracked.
But, I don't ever remember doing a refund, or remember if there was even a procedure for that.
There was a short period of time at TDS when we wrote a brief description with a reason for a return or exchange on our copy of the transaction receipt, but, it didn't last long. Too time consuming, especially during times like the holidays.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Then we were audited to compare ending inventory to ending bank. It was all very well-tracked.

Yeah most vendors would be like 'refund? ha!' - especially stadium vendors, etc. Tracking inventory and simply charging the vendor for any deltas is pretty common. But Disney is another beast when it comes to customer service.. and apparently there are people on both sides of the counter that look to abuse it :/

donaldtoo

Yeah most vendors would be like 'refund? ha!' - especially stadium vendors, etc. Tracking inventory and simply charging the vendor for any deltas is pretty common. But Disney is another beast when it comes to customer service.. and apparently there are people on both sides of the counter that look to abuse it :/

Yea, refunds just didn't happen with the concession gig.

And yep, when I was "On stage" at TDS I never got visibly rattled. And, boy howdy, there were plenty of times I could have gotten so. But, (and I know it will sound cheesy to some) there were plenty of "Magical Moments", as well...that's what made it worth it. Obviously, "Exceptional Guest Service" was tantamount.

It was actually a pretty crazy time in our family's (my wife and 3 children) lives when I was working (the concessions came before) for TDS.
Because of the recession, I was laid off in Jan. of '09 from my job as a designer for an architectural firm after just over 20 years there (29+ total years in the business at the time), and when I eventually saw retail may have to be an option at the time, I decided to apply there. I had never worked retail in my life. TDS was the first place I was hired and the last place I quit, about 10 mos. after my old firm hired me back in Feb. of '13. I worked as many as 3 retail jobs at a time before that. I worked Friday closers and weekends for those 10 months at TDS so I could use my CM discounts for a summer of '13 WDW trip.

Anyway, l learned a halluva' lot about people (the good, the bad, and the ugly), and myself, working retail for 4+ years during that time.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The fact that this went unnoticed for 2 years is the bigger problem imo. When it goes on that long, this is completely on Disney.

I don't condone her actions in any way, but I do fully believe it could've became an addiction. If so, she deserves time in jail, but also mental help.
Of course it's not completely on Disney. That's like saying a burglary is completely on the homeowner who didn't lock his door. In both cases, it's on the thief.

That being said, it is surprising that this wasn't caught sooner. The pattern of refunds under this employee's approval code should have raised a flag sooner than that. The only way it should realistically have been missed is if she only did it on days that were otherwise experiencing low refund rates.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Of course it's not completely on Disney. That's like saying a burglary is completely on the homeowner who didn't lock his door. In boy cases, it's on the thief.

That being said, it is surprising that this wasn't caught sooner. The pattern of refunds under this employee's approval code should have raised a flag sooner than that. The only way it should realistically have been missed is if she only did it on days that were otherwise experiencing low refund rates.
Perhaps, that many are normally issued therefore not bringing any huge concern. There are thousands and thousands of people there everyday. It's not like some Mom & Pop store with limited transactions. Some small oddity might have occurred that caused them to look closer. The difference is that the other ones actually gave out the money for a refund where this one just put it in their pocket. Many things that we will never know can enter into it. The important part is that, early or late, she was caught and that should send out a message to other CM's in the future. The message is... You're not as clever as you think you are.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom