Disney Employed Relatives of 4 Directors

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
August 9, 2002

BURBANK, CA (Bloomberg News/NY Times) -- The Walt Disney Company said four of its independent board members had relatives who were employed by the company last year.

Disney's announcement came in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The New York Stock Exchange has proposed new standards of independence for corporate directors. With the changes, a director would not be considered independent if a relative worked at the company the last five years, a stock exchange spokesman, Ray Pellecchia said.

The proposal would also require that a majority of a company's directors be independent of the company. Craig Bowers, the son of Reveta Bowers — a Disney independent director and principal at a Los Angeles school — worked at Disney's Internet group in the fiscal year ended September 2001, the company said in the filing. He earned $81,863, Disney said. Mr. Bowers is no longer employed at Disney.

Jennifer Gold, the daughter of another independent director, Stanley Gold, works at Disney's consumer products division and earned $85,111 there last year, the company said. Mr. Gold manages the investments of the Disney family as chief executive of Shamrock Holdings.

David Watson, son of Raymond Watson, also an independent director, works at the Disney Channel cable-television network, where he earned $152,608 last year. Raymond Watson is vice chairman of the Irvine Company, a Southern California real estate developer.

Louise Bryson, the wife of John Bryson, an independent director, is executive vice president for affiliate sales and marketing for Lifetime Entertainment Television, a cable network that is 50 percent owned by Disney. Ms. Bryson was paid $1.35 million last year. Her compensation is not subject to the Disney's board's approval, the filing said. Mr. Bryson is chief executive of Edison International, a California power utility.

WDW Imagineer

Originally posted by mktiggerman

Louise Bryson, the wife of John Bryson, an independent director, is executive vice president for affiliate sales and marketing for Lifetime Entertainment Television, a cable network that is 50 percent owned by Disney. Ms. Bryson was paid $1.35 million last year. Her compensation is not subject to the Disney's board's approval, the filing said. Mr. Bryson is chief executive of Edison International, a California power utility. [/B]

Nice salary, too bad some of the better cast members dont get a piece of that! :animwink:

jmarc63

August 9, 2002

BURBANK, CA (Bloomberg News/NY Times) -- The Walt Disney Company said four of its independent board members had relatives who were employed by the company last year.

Disney's announcement came in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The New York Stock Exchange has proposed new standards of independence for corporate directors. With the changes, a director would not be considered independent if a relative worked at the company the last five years, a stock exchange spokesman, Ray Pellecchia said.

The proposal would also require that a majority of a company's directors be independent of the company. Craig Bowers, the son of Reveta Bowers — a Disney independent director and principal at a Los Angeles school — worked at Disney's Internet group in the fiscal year ended September 2001, the company said in the filing. He earned $81,863, Disney said. Mr. Bowers is no longer employed at Disney.

Jennifer Gold, the daughter of another independent director, Stanley Gold, works at Disney's consumer products division and earned $85,111 there last year, the company said. Mr. Gold manages the investments of the Disney family as chief executive of Shamrock Holdings.

David Watson, son of Raymond Watson, also an independent director, works at the Disney Channel cable-television network, where he earned $152,608 last year. Raymond Watson is vice chairman of the Irvine Company, a Southern California real estate developer.

Louise Bryson, the wife of John Bryson, an independent director, is executive vice president for affiliate sales and marketing for Lifetime Entertainment Television, a cable network that is 50 percent owned by Disney. Ms. Bryson was paid $1.35 million last year. Her compensation is not subject to the Disney's board's approval, the filing said. Mr. Bryson is chief executive of Edison International, a California power utility.

MK Can't you come up with something original insead of coping and pasting someone elses newsstory. I have read most of you socalled news before I see your posts on WDWMAGIC so its old news to me , I could post it but whats the point , Some one will accuse me of trying to bulk up my post count again.

TURKEY

Re: Re: Disney Employed Relatives of 4 Directors

Originally posted by jmarc63

MK Can't you come up with something original insead of coping and pasting someone elses newsstory. I have read most of you socalled news before I see your posts on WDWMAGIC so its old news to me , I could post it but whats the point , Some one will accuse me of trying to bulk up my post count again.

Not everyone is as good as you as finding stuff like this.

I look at about 10 business sites/papers a day and didn't see this anywhere. It's pretty cool to me, and I'm glad he posted it.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster

jmarc,

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH ANYTHING I POST, REPORT THIS POST TO STEVE, AND LET HIM DECIDE. I've been posting news articles from various sources now for over 4 months, and this is the first time anyone has confronted me about it. Either people are really quiet, or you are the only dissenting voice on the forums. I have several emails and PM's from people thanking me for posting the news.

Also, don't accuse me of trying to boost my post counts. Not all of us get our jollies off having a high post count.

As for coming up with something original, I think there are enough 'Disney Buying Universal' and 'Mission Space' threads to go around. I'm at least posting information from REAL news sources, and not "the CM at the Poly."

enough ranting here... next time, email me or PM me.. I predict this thread will be turning ugly shortly with people joining in this argument (PLEASE DON'T!). At least an email or a PM can be done in a civilized manner

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by tenchu
Not another bloody thread going this way.
:rolleyes:

sorry tenchu... but if people attack me publicly (wait a minute! I forgot.. the internet is for slandering people anonymously.. wait.. this is written, it's libel), I will defend myself

Fievel

RunDisney Addict

I'll vouch for rob anyday...his sources ARE better than most....and I've never seen his stories anywhere else, so where would he steal them from? He's a great news source, as he is on the inside and really helps us set a higher standard.

Also...he always gives credit to his source.

tenchu

sorry tenchu... but if people attack me publicly (wait a minute! I forgot.. the internet is for slandering people anonymously.. wait.. this is written, it's libel), I will defend myself

I'm not having a go at you rob, but it's everyone right now.

There never used to be so much .

The Mom

Premium Member

Not all of us read every business journal/newspaper published, but do like to see what's going on....what's "old" to you is new to me! I, for one, appreciate the little news blurbs that tiggerman posts. I must confess that I don't read them ALL....some of the titles don't interest me....but I do read some of them. I assume that others might find the ones I'm interested in boring, and vice versa. Heaven forbid if every single post on every single thread has to be of interest to EVERY member!

Tiggerman is always very careful to credit his sources, so I don't consider that "copying." If he were reposting something that someone else posted here earlier, I could see your annoyance, but I don't see that happening here.

Sorry, mk, I couldn't hold it in. ;)

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by tenchu

I'm not having a go at you rob, but it's everyone right now.

There never used to be so much .

I can make this all better...

*Hands everyone a Tall Tazoberry Frappucino*

see? doesn't Starbucks make EVERYTHING better?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by turkey leg boy

I hate Starbucks.

All I like from them are the Tazoberry Frappucino's and their Oatmeal cookies

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom