Disney During Christmas (2008)

dimsdale

Original Poster
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here and havent visited WDW since the early 80's. My entire family (12 of us) will be going to disney from Dec.27-Jan.2. After doing a little research it appears that we will be visiting at the worst possible time. My question is for those who have visited at this time of year......just how bad is it as far as crowds and wait times? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

DisneyPirate85

First of all Welcome to the boards:wave: And your 1st post

This time of year at WDW is amazing! You picked a great time as far as that goes but the crowds can be a little overwelming to say the least.
We went same time last year and found that a well planned schedule really helped us out but we left a little room for flexability too for weather and what not. DEFINATELY get your ADR's ( Advanced Dining reservations)done at the 6 month window you'll need them. Just be a little flexable and it'll be great. Besides your at Disney and for Christmas you know it'll be MAGICAL.:sohappy:

tdonald

As long as you get to the parks early (7:00 or earlier), you shouldn't have much trouble till at least 10:00 or so.

But then it's wall-to-wall people.

I visited Dec 23, 24, and 25 last year and it was like that every day.

If you want dining reservations, make them ASAP.

My advice is to do as much as possible during the first few hours, then take it easy the rest of the day, like watching shows and parades, going back to your room (though you might not get back in), and taking in the atmosphere of the parks at Christmastime. They are beautiful.

You can still have fun, even when parks are packed.

disneydra

I have visited WDW many times but this is the first year that we will be there during Christmas, 12/24-12/29! How late do the parks usually stay open until?

mousefan1972

Christmas '07 was our first (of hopefully many to come) in Disney. We stayed 12/19 - 12/27. By the morning of the 27th, we were glad we were leaving. That's how bad the crowds had gotten. Christmas Eve and Day were very busy, but there was a noticeable increase in folks arriving on the 26th and 27th. I would imagine many people want to spend Christmas at home, then immediately head to WDW.

MK was open to day guests every day 8 a.m.- 1 a.m. There were morning EMH at MK daily for resort guests. Best advice I could give would be to get there before opening and see/do as much as you can by 11 a.m. By that time, MK was gridlocked. Leave the parks, and return later in the evening. The parks will be open till at least midnight. One night, MK was open till 3 a.m. for resort guests. :eek:

Having said that, you can and will still have fun with capacity crowds. We did. Use fastpass, take advantage of EMH, and plan, plan, plan. :xmas:

hpyhnt 1000

Whew! WDW is just that little bit more magical during the holidays, but it is crowded! Wait times for the most popular rides can easily hit 2+ hours by midday, and reservations for some restaurants will be hard to come by. Biggest things to remember: pack a coat and pack some patience! Its a lot of fun, but at times, it will be frustrating.

Also, welcome to WDWMagic! :wave: And I like your screen name as well. ;)

LoriMistress

How bad will crowds be? On a scale between 1 thru 10 and 10 being sardines, it will be an 11. Usually the 21st to 22nd is when you'll notice the huge crowds in the parks.

MacDuffieMuppet

Christmas= crowds, but favorite time of year.

My family almost always goes around christmas time and I love it! My family has been so often, we usually go in the morning for extra magic hours, go back to the camp ground, then head over around 7pm and take advantage of the extra magic hours (usually til 2-3am) its desserted at that time. you can walk on alot of rides that usally have long waits. This past december I went to mk like 4 nites in a row after 7pm and go all the rides done. Its also better to arrive to the park after the fireworks, cause thats when most families leave.

It can get chilly, pants and jackets are a must. Even though its florida it does get down in the 30's. Make use of fastpasses, dining reservations (book as soon as you can), and dont be afraid to split up. I travel with a group of 8 and we split up for rides like Sm, tot, rnrc, tt, ev, etc.. Then join together for rides like HM, iasw, lvtl, KjS. It helps relieves stress and makes everyone's trip has good as possible.

Welcome to the boards and enjoy your trip!!! I'll be there myself. Be sure to check out the resorts decorations. if you have time, take a trip to the campground and go on the hay wagon ride (they don't use hay), which takes visitors around the campground to the trailers that have decorated for chirstmas. (my dad goes overboard, but so does alot of campers). Plus you can see the water parade. Enjoy!

magic minnie

We love Disney and have been numerous times, but whoa . . . we just went this past Christmas (Dec. 27th - Jan. 2) and it was the busiest I've ever experienced. There were two instances where the crowd bottlenecked and we couldn't move for 10-20 minutes (I was afraid riots were going to start)! The decorations were amazing, the holiday shows were great, but we won't ever do Christmas week again due to the crowds and waiting . . . I left there kind of stressed!

I would advise, if possible to go during December but before school lets out for Christmas break, if possible. I heard the crowds are minimal and you still get to see all the Christmas decorations and shows.

If you do go, make sure to do your reservations for any meal you are planning on as soon as possible, because we had reservations, and watched countless people who didn't get turned away.

phillychief

In 2006, we went to WDW (stayed at Pop Century 50's) in the first week of December. The only time we encountered what could be called uncomfortably crowded conditions was during the MVMCP. We're returning this year from 12/7 to 12/13 and staying this time at the Polynesian. It's been our dream to stay at a monorail resort, and that dream is a reality this year! And yes, we are going back for another MVMCP. Even with the crowds, it is magical!!!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Welcome aboard :wave:

We'll be there for our first ever Christmas trip from the Dec 25th through Jan 3rd and we're prepared for chaos. If you expect the worst things can only get better :rolleyes:

JxnMan20

Welcome to the boards! :wave:

Everyone else has pretty much summed it up....busy but awesome! PLAN..PLAN..PLAN! That's the best way to make it.

I'll be there for 10 days during the first part of the month...before the crowds get too heavy.

Have a Magical Christmas!

cooleo

Welcome!!! :wave:

We have been there the last 3 years in a row during Christmas time. However, we go earlier in the month (usually the second week of December) & we get to enjoy all of the Christmas decorations, atmosphere & celebrations. The beauty of this is that the crowds are a lot lighter. It picks up a bit on the weekend when we first get there (45 - 60 min. wait for some rides), but slacks off during the week (15 - 20 min. wait for most rides). We do have to take my son out of school, but he just crams when we get back & we make arrangements with his teachers to make up tests the first week we are back home. :cool: :xmas:

dimsdale

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your insightful information. Although our trip isnt for another 8 months I'm getting pretty excited anticipating our journey. We will be staying at the Saratoga Springs Resort so I believe we can take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours(is this correct?) if so that would help us ride our favorites early in the morning before it gets to crowded. Does anyone know when the Extra Magic Hours schedule comes ouy for the month of Dec? I found the schedules but it only goes to Oct. This schedule would help us with making our Advanced Dinner Reservations. Thanks again to everyone for their input. I love this site and will be spending lots of time here. Only 229 days to go! Happy Mothers Day!

CAPTAIN HOOK

erstwo

What week in December??

So, are we saying that the 2nd week of December is best? DH and I are planning a "little trip south." And we are pretty flexible.

I was thinking December 5 - 10. Would that be a good time? Or should I rethink our dates?

CAPTAIN HOOK

The week Christmas Day to New Years Day is chaotic :eek: - we're expecting a busy but enjoyable time.

If you can avoid that week and go earlier in December then do so - I think you'll find it still busy, but not as busy as Christmas week

If you do Christmas at Disney it's usually best done in Early December after Thanksgiving

My second Disney trip in 1999 was around that time and a really memorable one because we ended up staying till just after Christmas

The best tip I can think of for dealing with crowds is that on Christmas Day, Epcots your best bet. Its a huge park and less likely to feel as crowded as the other parks might do. Also, when at Disney Hollywood studios, if you stay for Fantasmic, stay a little while to admire the Osborne Family Lights a bit. That way crowds have time to desperse and it wont take as long waiting to escape the park XD

MaxsDad

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here and havent visited WDW since the early 80's. My entire family (12 of us) will be going to disney from Dec.27-Jan.2. After doing a little research it appears that we will be visiting at the worst possible time. My question is for those who have visited at this time of year......just how bad is it as far as crowds and wait times? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I think I know what you meant by "Worst possible time", but there is more to life than just crowds. It is still WDW afterall. If this time was too bad, why would people flock there in droves? Reason: it's a pretty cool time to be there too.

Regarding crowds, they can be managed. Be at the park before opening for Rope Drop. GO to the most popular headliner that you want to see, and work your way down the list, using Fastpass when logical. It will get more crowded as the day goes on, so use then to eat, soak up the ambiance, see less popular attractions, or whatever your heart desiers that isn't limited by ride capacity.

Jan 1 and Jan 2 should see a drop off in crowds, BTW.

pixiesteno

Christmas 2008

We love going at Christmas time, everything that is not moving is decorated to the nines. We will be there Dec 13 - 18 at Pop Century. If things get too hectic at the parks you can always tour the resorts and view the decorations there. The deluxe resorts all have magnificent gingerbread/chocolate displays. We enjoy checking them out and seeing how they change from year to year and counting hidden Mickeys. Relax and enjoy your holiday. Welcome to the boards.:xmas:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom