Disney doesn't make all the AA's

coasterridr

Original Poster
They didn't make the Pirate and Princess for the World of Disney store, you can follow this link to a pdf and see page 9. I was kinda hoping they didn't make these cause they aren't that great. I also remember seeing something to the effect of another company making the old Alec Tronic from Innoventions and some of the newer pirates for POTC, I will keep looking for those.

kurros

I wonder if we have a service contract with them or if our own engineering department handles them... they are down often.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There`s a difference between minimatronics in store windows and Audio Animatronics in E Tickets though. Having said that, as brastarman said SARCOS have made a few A-100s recently.

Jerm

Disney does not really "build" anything anymore. They figure out how to make it work and then ship it off to other places to make it. It is not like back in the 50's and 60's where they did everything.

J

dolbyman

this company has a very impressive portfolio ... love to take a peek @ their "workshop"
I just love thos AA shows in hotels/restaurants and stuff.. but there are next to impossible to find over here :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That would be the AA company that is here in Jacksonville but the only "Disney" thing I have heard of them being involved in were a couple of Disney on ice shows. They have done stuff for nearly every other theme park in the US though, including Universal.

captainbuzzy

Disney does not really "build" anything anymore. They figure out how to make it work and then ship it off to other places to make it. It is not like back in the 50's and 60's where they did everything.

J

Does Disney still maintain some R&D in anamatronics?

Most of the magic is in the mechanical & electronic system design, and control strategy not manufacturing.
I hope they still research and develop intellectual property in these area becuase that's what will keep setting them apart.

M:SpilotISTC12

I think they make all the huge ones and big names (eg. yeti and Captain Jack) but ones that would be routine for them they put in other companies. Anything that would be ground breaking they do.

MythBuster

Actually, I will give you a little history on the Disney/Sarcos debacle. Actually, the figure the used for Alec Tronic in Innoventions for the prototpye A-100 figure and they used him as the guideline for all the new A-100 figures for Pirates in Euro Disney. But WDI manufacturing hardly operating anymore(of course, trying to cut costs) so they contracted out the manufacturing part of the job. So Sarcos was going to manufacture all the AA's for Disney. And then the Disney animators would program them. And of course, there all kinds of NDA's and propriety agreements and trademarks, etc.

Then it so happened that when they started up Innoventions. They put in Alec tronic doing his Joe Cocker song and then his comedy routine. Then Motorola put in their exhibit featuring Sky CyberGuy. But they needed someone to maintain it. He was also a AA figure from Sarcos and it was a S-100 figure. Well, anyway it was an exact duplicate of a A-100 figure. So Sarcos used Disney technology and built their own AA's and sold them to other companies as their own design. It was exact duplicate of everything. Actuators, feedback circuits, controller cards, servo valves, etc. I'm surprised Sarcos is still in business, if they still are? Disney had all kinds of lawsuits against them. I don't know what the final outcome was though.

They didn't make the Pirate and Princess for the World of Disney store, you can follow this link to a pdf and see page 9. I was kinda hoping they didn't make these cause they aren't that great. I also remember seeing something to the effect of another company making the old Alec Tronic from Innoventions and some of the newer pirates for POTC, I will keep looking for those.

i would have thought they would use the place in jacksonville for this but i guess not.

I believe you are referring to Sally Corp. In that essence I know that they don't. I took a tour of Sally Corp and they have a few differences. One of the largest differences is that Sally uses air, where as Disney usually uses Hydraulics.

KZevchik

Well to clear up your misconceptions of the AA's for Disney, they do have in-house AA department, they build their own high-end characters. Disney uses what is called hydraulic analog compliant animatronics. These characters cost an obscene amount of money. Capt. Jack, Yeti, Stitch, Lucky, Muppets Mobile Lab are all examples of Disney creations.

The pirate and princess at Downtown Disney are from LifeFormations, which use pneumatic digital moves. The skin is also different, LifeFormations uses a type of silicon skin that gives a much more realistic look than the PVC that Disney uses. The characters in DD store are not down, the employees of the stores turn them off when they get sick of listening to the same scripts all day.

Sally, as to the best of my knowledge, did make any AA's. They have done some stuff for the Ice Capades, motorized stuff for parades, and minor fiberglass characters that don the parks. Sarcos was contracted to create the AA's in the late 80's and 90's for Disney, however it is true there was a breach of contract, and again, I don't know the outcome. I know that there is a character that comes out of their house every once and a while. Garner Holtz is another house that has done AAs in the past for Disney, Garner does some nice work but most recently has done some of the big characters for parades and shows.

There are other subcontracted houses that have done AA's, to make every character that Disney displays is not economical, it costs way to much for WDI to make all the AAs.

This information is to the best of my knowledge, being in the industry.

scpergj

I believe you are referring to Sally Corp. In that essence I know that they don't. I took a tour of Sally Corp and they have a few differences. One of the largest differences is that Sally uses air, where as Disney usually uses Hydraulics.

Yeah, Sally is the company here in Jax. I had a friend that worked there many years ago, and the company had a pretty big display at Scout Blast last year. I believe there have been some articles in the local newspaper, but not recently.

As far as I know, the posters that said that they haven't done much for the Disney parks is correct. They have done things for many other theme parks, stores, and that sort of thing.

Here is a link to their web site: http://www.sallycorp.com/

and another from the newspaper: http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/1998/07/20/focus2.html

I'm not linked with the company in any way, just interested in local businesses!

Kevin

coasterridr

Original Poster

I agree that Disney uses hydraulics, but they also use air, I took the Backstage Magic tour and at Central Shops we saw "Bonnie Apetit" from Kitchen Caberet and our guide touched a little air hose to a air pump and her eyes moved. I am pretty sure Disney made that AA, even though it was a simple one.

MythBuster

I agree that Disney uses hydraulics, but they also use air, I took the Backstage Magic tour and at Central Shops we saw "Bonnie Apetit" from Kitchen Caberet and our guide touched a little air hose to a air pump and her eyes moved. I am pretty sure Disney made that AA, even though it was a simple one.

Disney uses a mixture of hydraulics and pneumatics, as it depends on the figure and the function. Like Tiki Birds mainly uses pneumatics and Dinosaur uses hydraulics with some functions still using pneumatics

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom