Disney does it again

Killnme

Original Poster
Just got back from seeing the Candlelight Processional with Dennis Haysbert (the Allstate guy) and Disney has done it again. Disney has changed the wording of the Processional and took out the best part. This part:

He was born in an obscure village
The child of a peasant woman
He grew up in another obscure village
Where he worked in a carpenter shop
Until he was thirty

He never wrote a book
He never held an office
He never went to college
He never visited a big city
He never travelled more than two hundred miles
From the place where he was born
He did none of the things
Usually associated with greatness
He had no credentials but himself

He was only thirty three

His friends ran away
One of them denied him
He was turned over to his enemies
And went through the mockery of a trial
He was nailed to a cross between two thieves
While dying, his executioners gambled for his clothing
The only property he had on earth

When he was dead
He was laid in a borrowed grave
Through the pity of a friend

Nineteen centuries have come and gone
And today Jesus is the central figure of the human race
And the leader of mankind's progress
All the armies that have ever marched
All the navies that have ever sailed
All the parliaments that have ever sat
All the kings that ever reigned put together
Have not affected the life of mankind on earth
As powerfully as that one solitary life

And replaced it with the story of how Silent night came about.

Any one else disappointed with this change?

On the other hand Disney just saved he a bunch of money for next year, because I won't be going again.

cynic710

honestly i had no idea what was ever even done at the processional, i should youtube it. but it is a shame that was removed.

Nemo14

There's been discussion about this in previous threads, but it's well worth pointing out. Yet another disappointment in Disney -

Thanks for posting this and Merry Christmas!

Killnme

Original Poster
There's been discussion about this in previous threads, but it's well worth pointing out. Yet another disappointment in Disney -

Thanks for posting this and Merry Christmas!

Thanks I didn't look down.

But multiple threads can be good b/c I know Disney officials look at different sites to see what people are saying about WDW

MouseRight

I am usually not against change. It is inevitable. However, these changes, including taking out the above "One Solitary Life" narrative and the song "Do You Hear What I hear", and ending immediately after the "Hallelujah Chorus" are very disappointing. Having seen it many times over many years, I believe it is one of those things that should be on the "Hands Off" list. It appears it has become a victim of its own success. An article at The Blaze.com reports the following:

"... demand for the show and production constraints have apparently created a need, according to Disney, to shave time off of each performance so that the cast and crew can properly prepare for the three back-to-back performances that unfold each night during the holiday season."
I have chaperoned my daughter's chorus several times and didn't see these production constraints. However, I don't live it day-in and day-out. I also know that when artists like Neil Patrick Harris are narrating, it attracts very large crowds. The lines are longer and the most of the space between the Theater and the American Adventure building fills up, thus blocking walkways for others not watching the show. I have also read here on other threads that there may be an issue about it ending early enough so the crowds have time to get in place to watch Illuminations.

Given how special this program is to so many, I would hope that Disney could have found other ways to address these issues. We should start a letter writing campaign to restore these cuts. I will

MouseRight

Once again...blame the narrators who felt the need to go off script and improvise during those segments.

Oh, and the silent night story went into the show last year, not this year. The speech you quoted has been out of the show for two years now.

I did not see this year's CP. However, I know I saw the CP in 2012. Don't remember that they took out the "One Solitary Life" narrative out last year. I think my family and I would have noticed that change. How sure are you about this?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I did not see this year's CP. However, I know I saw the CP in 2012. Don't remember that they took out the "One Solitary Life" narrative out last year. I think my family and I would have noticed that change. How sure are you about this?
This is one of the videos from 2012. It should be easy to confirm.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

I'm 100% certain.

ETA: See Yoda's video for confirmation.

Sped2424

Once again...blame the narrators who felt the need to go off script and improvise during those segments.

Oh, and the silent night story went into the show last year, not this year. The speech you quoted has been out of the show for two years now.
But I heard that speech last year from jodi benson like for sure for sure. I don't think its been cut, I think some nights it happens and maybe others it doesn't probably due to the narrators depending how long their own speeches or whatever are. This isn't some evil ploy by the company guys, its one line I think the show is still amazing with or without it.

luv

They did the One Solitary Life last year when I saw it.

When I saw my first CP this year, all I knew it that it was different and not as good. I knew I'd heard less from the horns and that the performance was disappointing overall, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

I've since learned what was cut. It is very disappointing to find that they purposely made it worse and that they didn't even do it to save money.

The Candlelight Processional was a wonderful thing to see. Now it's Fine.

MouseRight

"... demand for the show and production constraints have apparently created a need, according to Disney, to shave time off of each performance so that the cast and crew can properly prepare for the three back-to-back performances that unfold each night during the holiday season."

This quote was from an article at TheBlaze.com. According to the reporter it's Disney's explanation of why they changed the show this year. This was in response to questions being asked of Disney if they cut this narrative out to be politically correct since the narrative says that Jesus is "... the central figure of the Human Race."

I will say again, given how special this program is to so many, I would hope that Disney could have found other ways to address these issues. We should start a letter writing campaign to restore these cuts. I will be sending one in.

Ben_since_1971

It is disappointing that they removed it from the show. I don't think on religious grounds - the whole show is based on religious tenets. However, that does not take away from the majesty that is the entire show. I myself was impressed by the 'tree' structure they put together for the cast choir this year. I can remember when the poor soul who was the top of the tree had to wear this ridiculous halo ensemble that held the star.

Perhaps the show is a victim of its own success. When my wife and I started attending, we could line up 45 minutes before show time on Christmas Day and only be opposite the Japanese snack cart next to the funnel cake stand. This year we were an hour before the show (Dec 9) and were past the Torii Gate.

In any case, I will still continue to go, and I will still cry through Silent Night - one of the most moving-est parts of the show.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
While that passage to me is very powerful it speaks more of Easter and Jesus' death and resurrection then his birth story. So if cuts were needed for time I could see why it would be the choice to go from a Christmas show. Is the Silent Night story new? If so it seem the poem could have been abbreviated to make up the possible time difference instead of replacing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom