Disney does it again

Ralphlaw

We've got reservations for it on Christmas Eve. Never seen it before. Given how generic so many things have become in an effort to take Christ out of Christmas, I'm surprised it's lasted this long. I'm gratified that it apparently wasn't changed because of pressure to not offend certain people. Honestly, the "That's offensive" critique seems to squelch so much in the world.

I just hope they don't lame it up as much as the new TTA narration. Or slap a big fat "Siemens" logo or "Sponsored by . . . " onto it.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
This quote was from an article at TheBlaze.com. According to the reporter it's Disney's explanation of why they changed the show this year. This was in response to questions being asked of Disney if they cut this narrative out to be politically correct since the narrative says that Jesus is "... the central figure of the Human Race."

I will say again, given how special this program is to so many, I would hope that Disney could have found other ways to address these issues. We should start a letter writing campaign to restore these cuts. I will be sending one in.

The scripted line is "considered by many to be the central figure of the human race."

People like Steven Curtis Chapman and Jodi Benson liked to change it to "is the central figure of the human race." Jim Cavaziel decided to plug his movie instead of reading the scripted narration. On the other end of the spectrum, Maureen McGovern routinely changed "mankind" to "human kind". Simply put, Disney has always been incredibly with performers about changing any scripted dialogue. There is a very clear point in the show where the narrator is allowed to go off script. Actually, in the current show it happens twice- once att he beginning and once at the end. To my knowledge, those comments are never censored. If a narrator has something to say, that is the time to do it, not during the scripted parts of the show.

I'm not suggesting this was the sole reason for the change, either. However, I do question the necessity of a couple of the later passages in a Christmas pageant, but another poster already adeptly explained why those segments don't belong.

I'm not the least bit religious, but the later segments never offended me. Did I think they were too preachy? Absolutely. Did it offend me? Not in the least. I couldn't care less about the baby Jesus, but I still enjoy the pageantry of the show. It's about the orchestra and the live singing.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The scripted line is "considered by many to be the central figure of the human race."

People like Steven Curtis Chapman and Jodi Benson liked to change it to "is the central figure of the human race." Jim Cavaziel decided to plug his movie instead of reading the scripted narration. On the other end of the spectrum, Maureen McGovern routinely changed "mankind" to "human kind". Simply put, Disney has always been incredibly with performers about changing any scripted dialogue. There is a very clear point in the show where the narrator is allowed to go off script. Actually, in the current show it happens twice- once att he beginning and once at the end. To my knowledge, those comments are never censored. If a narrator has something to say, that is the time to do it, not during the scripted parts of the show.

I'm not suggesting this was the sole reason for the change, either. However, I do question the necessity of a couple of the later passages in a Christmas pageant, but another poster already adeptly explained why those segments don't belong.

I'm not the least bit religious, but the later segments never offended me. Did I think they were too preachy? Absolutely. Did it offend me? Not in the least. I couldn't care less about the baby Jesus, but I still enjoy the pageantry of the show. It's about the orchestra and the live singing.
Sounds like the writers found a way to kill two birds with one stone. They got the time down to where they needed it and removed a section of the script that was frequently ad-libbed by the performers.

Mr Bill

We've got reservations for it on Christmas Eve. Never seen it before. Given how generic so many things have become in an effort to take Christ out of Christmas, I'm surprised it's lasted this long. I'm gratified that it apparently wasn't changed because of pressure to not offend certain people. Honestly, the "That's offensive" critique seems to squelch so much in the world.

I just hope they don't lame it up as much as the new TTA narration. Or slap a big fat "Siemens" logo or "Sponsored by . . . " onto it.
They're adding Glow With The Show support.

MouseRight

I don't see these cuts happening as a result of narrators going off-script. If a narrator is going to go off-script, they will do so even with a new script. I also don't want to believe that they changed the script to be more politically correct or not to offend. I'd like to believe that the show-runners just went a little overboard in their efforts to adjust the show to fit time and production requirements. I for one would have trimmed the overture in the beginning. That takes up 3 to 4+ minutes. All in all this is just another disappointing change to a WDW show/attraction that many of us considered to be classic and example of Disney Magic. I hope they restore these cuts but know they are probably gone for good.

Boardwalker

This has me in awe to read. You have Christian defenders, then you have some that like removing Jesus all together. So you are telling me a man that lived over 2000 years ago still gets some you all up in arms? Maybe he wasn't just a man after all.....Emmanuel.

Ben_since_1971

Another instance of taking the true meaning of Christmas away trying to make it a generic winter time holiday.
I don't think it is. The entire show is about the telling of His birth. "Do You See What I See", "Silent Night", "O Holy Night" are all religious in nature and reflect the true meaning of Christmas. To make it totally generic, you would have to replace all the songs with Rudolph, Frosty, etc. and have the celebrity narrator recite Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Nemo14

I don't think it is. The entire show is about the telling of His birth. "Do You See What I See", "Silent Night", "O Holy Night" are all religious in nature and reflect the true meaning of Christmas. To make it totally generic, you would have to replace all the songs with Rudolph, Frosty, etc. and have the celebrity narrator recite Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Don't give them any ideas....

Minnie_girl

They're adding Glow With The Show support.
75.gif

Awesome. :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
People sure love having the day off of work but the second you try to explain that Christmas is not about a fat man in a red-suit and it's about the birth of the Jesus they get all up in arms about it.

Either we recognize ALL religious holidays for the Major religions or we recognize NONE of them, I vote for NONE. For a LONG time Christmas was not a public holiday

psukardi

Either we recognize ALL religious holidays for the Major religions or we recognize NONE of them, I vote for NONE. For a LONG time Christmas was not a public holiday

Fine - everyone can work on Christmas , no one will make mention of Kwanzaa people will not have any flexibility during Ramadan and we'll just cancel the holidays. While we're at it then we'll get rid of Santa because there's no more Christmas to Celebrate. And we'll get rid of the Easter Bunny because there is no more Easter.

psukardi

I am gonna step on a few toes saying this but here I go as a Classicist:
"Yes the True meaning of Christmas, Christians stealing the holiday celebrating the birth of a pagan god, among other yule time pagan celebrations."

That's fine - as a Christian I'll acknowledge that and go one step further and bring in all the Pagan fertility stuff they "borrowed" for the "Easter Bunny". Painting the eggs was a Pagan thing. Heck, how do you think they roped in so many people all those years ago. They took all the cool pagan stuff and said here you go - have fun

Voxel

President of Progress City
That's fine - as a Christian I'll acknowledge that and go one step further and bring in all the Pagan fertility stuff they "borrowed" for the "Easter Bunny". Painting the eggs was a Pagan thing. Heck, how do you think they roped in so many people all those years ago. They took all the cool pagan stuff and said here you go - have fun
It's interesting how much of Modern Christianity is borrowed from people either Taking in other beliefs or forcing them on to other is around. I remember reading that in Norway Missionary's would telling natives that God was Odin and Odin was god.

psukardi

It's interesting how much of Modern Christianity is borrowed from people either Taking in other beliefs or forcing them on to other is around. I remember reading that in Norway Missionary's would telling natives that God was Odin and Odin was god.

Ya, the history of a lot of religions are interesting. At the end of the day I wish people would just take a step back and not get so irritated over what deity you believe in and go to the core fundamental message. Be a good person. That's it. It's simple. Be a good person. Then at the end of the day if there is a God you're in good shape and if there isn't one - well at least you weren't a total jerk to mankind

Voxel

President of Progress City
Ya, the history of a lot of religions are interesting. At the end of the day I wish people would just take a step back and not get so irritated over what deity you believe in and go to the core fundamental message. Be a good person. That's it. It's simple. Be a good person. Then at the end of the day if there is a God you're in good shape and if there isn't one - well at least you weren't a total jerk to mankind

This reminds me of the new Bo Burnham song where he sings from the point of view of God.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom