News Disney Dining Plan Returns in 2024

KateKirisit

For using the DDP? Definitely do research to figure out where you are maximizing the benefit - 1 TS character meals, etc.

If you drink alcohol try to do so at your meals as they are included vs just getting a beer separate from the meal

Can use your snack credits at the Epcot festival booths (for food, not drinks)

Your credits are totals for your trip so you can use more or less credits each day (so could do 2 TS one day and then none the next, use multiple snacks credits on your Epcot day, etc
Thank you so much for this! - SUPER helpful!

KateKirisit

Yes, don't buy the dining plan. It's designed to part you from your money and there is no value to it. Buy discount gift cards to pay for your meals OOP.
Hi there,

How exactly is it parting me from my money? - My original OOP budget for food for 1 week for 2 people was $2000.00. Based on the Standard DDP pricing of $95 pp/per day is actually cheaper than my OOP budget. - so where is the negative? (remember, I have NEVER been to Disney so I cannot rate past experiences personally)

I know all about needing to maximize credits by getting "the most expensive" dish that's eligible etc.. but how is this bad? - I drink, my husband drinks, no kids are travelling with us, and were HUGE foodies.. how is the DDP bad?

TheMaxRebo

Hi there,

How exactly is it parting me from my money? - My original OOP budget for food for 1 week for 2 people was $2000.00. Based on the Standard DDP pricing of $95 pp/per day is actually cheaper than my OOP budget. - so where is the negative? (remember, I have NEVER been to Disney so I cannot rate past experiences personally)

I know all about needing to maximize credits by getting "the most expensive" dish that's eligible etc.. but how is this bad? - I drink, my husband drinks, no kids are travelling with us, and were HUGE foodies.. how is the DDP bad?

To me it is more about how you think about it. If prepaying for it frees you to order what you want and not worry about cost, etc and gives you that more all inclusive feel, then it can work for you

Personally the way my brain works is I would have to maximize the value so would feel like I would have to order the most expensive option (whether it appealed to me or not) and we don't always eat aas the plan is structured - we might just want a few appetizers or split an entree, etc

Definitely isn't an automatic yes or no for everyone whether you should get it.

I do think as they raise the price it is harder to get full value as many options would come to well less than the $95/day but if you are strategic - and the prepaying provides a mental benefit to you - it can work

Figgy1

Premium Member
Hi there,

The dining plan only covers 2 meals a day, no appetizers and signature restaurants are 2 credits. Did you figure that in compared to your budget?

KateKirisit

To me it is more about how you think about it. If prepaying for it frees you to order what you want and not worry about cost, etc and gives you that more all inclusive feel, then it can work for you

Personally the way my brain works is I would have to maximize the value so would feel like I would have to order the most expensive option (whether it appealed to me or not) and we don't always eat aas the plan is structured - we might just want a few appetizers or split an entree, etc

Definitely isn't an automatic yes or no for everyone whether you should get it.

I do think as they raise the price it is harder to get full value as many options would come to well less than the $95/day but if you are strategic - and the prepaying provides a mental benefit to you - it can work
Perfect! - Thank you for clarifying!

I appreciate your feedback! - it all goes into my "WDW Vacation Planner" LOL

KateKirisit

The dining plan only covers 2 meals a day, no appetizers and signature restaurants are 2 credits. Did you figure that in compared to your budget?
Hi There.

So according to every single updated communication I have read on the standard DDP - each person in the reservation per day gets 1 QS meal (call that a lunch in the parks or whatever) 1 TS meal (call that a buffet breakfast or a dinner of some kind) and you get 1 snack / beverage also. --so if we eat a small breakfast at our resort (that we get from a grocery store) and then use the QS meal as lunch and the TS meal as a dinner, then yes we should be fine.

We will be bringing some of our own easy to eat snacks/water, etc..

I am just trying to understand why everyone hates the DDP so much..

jefedelospollos

I am waiting for the website to come back online to TRY and book my 2024 Vacation package. - We are going to Disney for the first time ever and are doing to standard DDP. - any thoughts, tips, tricks, advice for a newbie?
Another thing to keep in mind - if your kid is 10 or older, congratulations, they're an adult in the eyes of Disney, so this can make huge difference in the cost for you (plus, very few 10 year olds eat adult-sized meals at Disney restaurants, in my experience). The last time we used the dining plan, my daughter was 10, and it was a disaster. All she wanted were the kid meals, so you're either paying for a plate of pasta with an adult dining credit, or paying out of pocket for the kid meal. I think we ended up leaving several dining credits unused that trip.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Hi There.

So according to every single updated communication I have read on the standard DDP - each person in the reservation per day gets 1 QS meal (call that a lunch in the parks or whatever) 1 TS meal (call that a buffet breakfast or a dinner of some kind) and you get 1 snack / beverage also. --so if we eat a small breakfast at our resort (that we get from a grocery store) and then use the QS meal as lunch and the TS meal as a dinner, then yes we should be fine.

We will be bringing some of our own easy to eat snacks/water, etc..

I am just trying to understand why everyone hates the DDP so much..
It works for some but not others
btw tips are not included so you'll have to figure them into your budget. I'm not saying if it will or will not work for you
Do what is right for you

cranbiz

Hi there,

It's not the value Disney makes it out to be. Period. You get so many credits for each day. If you want to eat in the nicer TS restaurants (2 credit), you will run out of TS credits and you will need to pay OOP.

For that $2000 budget, you can buy discounted Disney gift cards and have money left over for other things or you can eat at 2 TS restaurants every night and have a great time.

What the DDP does is allow you to prepay for your food. It's a convenience that few get full value out of. If you can get full value, great. Then it makes sense to buy into it. I'm going to guess that you may come close if you always buy the most expensive dish and always have alcohol, dessert, etc. but is that what you really want to do on vacation? Figure out how to make your prepaid meal worth the money you spent on it?

KateKirisit

It's not the value Disney makes it out to be. Period. You get so many credits for each day. If you want to eat in the nicer TS restaurants (2 credit), you will run out of TS credits and you will need to pay OOP.

For that $2000 budget, you can buy discounted Disney gift cards and have money left over for other things or you can eat at 2 TS restaurants every night and have a great time.

What the DDP does is allow you to prepay for your food. It's a convenience that few get full value out of. If you can get full value, great. Then it makes sense to buy into it. I'm going to guess that you may come close if you always buy the most expensive dish and always have alcohol, dessert, etc. but is that what you really want to do on vacation? Figure out how to make your prepaid meal worth the money you spent on it?
Very true. - Thank you for the insight. i will definitely keep this in my considerations on the DDP.

I appreciate your feedback! - It's nice to hear others opinions

Figgy1

Premium Member
Another thing to keep in mind - if your kid is 10 or older, congratulations, they're an adult in the eyes of Disney, so this can make huge difference in the cost for you (plus, very few 10 year olds eat adult-sized meals at Disney restaurants, in my experience). The last time we used the dining plan, my daughter was 10, and it was a disaster. All she wanted were the kid meals, so you're either paying for a plate of pasta with an adult dining credit, or paying out of pocket for the kid meal. I think we ended up leaving several dining credits unused that trip.
or kids who were under 10 and ate off the adult menu:banghead::banghead::banghead: Remy's palette, Emile's appetite:banghead::banghead::banghead: I never once complained about the price of buffets

DisneyDreamer08

I’ve been in the virtual queue for 5 1/2 hours and my wait time still says “Recalculating”. This must be on purpose right? So everyone thinks the website is so crazy busy they MUST book today? 😂

KateKirisit

I dont have kids. This trip is for mine and my husband's honeymoon

Figgy1

Premium Member
I dont have kids. This trip is for mine and my husband's honeymoon
Congratulations Congrats GIF

Jon81uk

Hi there,

How did you arrive at that budget? Was it based on the same structure as the DDP?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom