News Disney Dining Plan Returns in 2024

JD80

It has been a while since I did the math, because it was before alcohol was included. I looked at the menus on all ears and took the average adult entree and average kid entree for each restaurant we were intending to visit. I did include a non-alcoholic drink but did not include dessert.

Tables in Wonderland always came out ahead, even in cases where we needed to buy the “spouse” card, because we were a party of 15.

I do not believe the rules changed regarding sharing them meals with someone not in you party. When I walked into Pinocchio and ordered 8 pizzas and 4 salads, one ever asked. I presume now, when ordering 5 burgers on a mobile app, no one is going to question who is eating them either.
The math only really ever worked if you were a family that loved doing character meals. My family is so it worked out for us.

Otherwise you were losing 10-20 a day as an adult. The math got closer with adult beverages and a regulat sit down.

There are many prefixe meals these days so it'll depend on the cost of the plan, but with the loss of a snack you'll need a good discount for it to make sense most likely. 2019 costs were like $75. The floor in 2024 is at least $85 and it'll most likely be much above that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The math only really ever worked if you were a family that loved doing character meals. My family is so it worked out for us.

Otherwise you were losing 10-20 a day as an adult. The math got closer with adult beverages and a regulat sit down.

There are many prefixe meals these days so it'll depend on the cost of the plan, but with the loss of a snack you'll need a good discount for it to make sense most likely. 2019 costs were like $75. The floor in 2024 is at least $85 and it'll most likely be much above that.
So it “works” if you have no balance and go to the most - not debatable - overpriced spots on property not named “le cellier”?

Well now I’m all in 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course - that's why people like the pre-paid option because they can make those decisions ahead of time and budget for it. The less decisions you can make on a vacation - the less you have to pull our your credit card - the more enjoyable your vacation will be.

Why is this even a discussion? Of course I would eat less most of the time while at Disney because I hate having to pay for more stuff while there regardless of whether or not I actually want a thing. My kids would get the dessert and I'd be ok sitting there watching them enjoy it.
So you got the prepaid psychology down…

Now can you explain why locking in a known overpayment up front that requires an intentional GLUTTONOUS mission of many days to get “value” out of it makes sense?

I think The Hague actually has banned that as a form of torture…intetpol calls it “Helsinki syndrome” 🇫🇮

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
So you got the prepaid psychology down…

Now can you explain why locking in a known payment up front that requires an intentional glutinous mission of many days to get “value” out of it makes sense?

I think The Hague actually has banned that as a form of torture…intetpol calls it “Helsinki syndrome” 🇫🇮
Ftfy.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry I only speak English ?
It’s an overpayment.

Very cute…but “opinions” are just that. Not “personal truth”

It’s been discussed as naseum…and this time not even by me.

Because they paused it…doesn’t reset the dials and make it “valuable”. Disney amnesia is a legit disability.

Now…maybe they’ll drop the price 33% and it would be a good deal?

Or maybe they’ll add the third course and gratuities back that they eliminated long ago due to “guest demand” 🙄

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
It’s an overpayment.

Very cute…but “opinions” are just that. Not “personal truth”

It’s been discussed as naseum…and this time not even by me.

Because they paused it…doesn’t reset the dials and make it “valuable”. Disney amnesia is a legit disability.

Now…maybe they’ll drop the price 33% and it would be a good deal?

Or maybe they’ll add the third course and gratuities back that they eliminated long ago due to “guest demand” 🙄
You are posting opinions and claiming them to be fact. Try stepping back from the keyboard and thinking about the FACT other people find value in this promotion.

Weather_Lady

Even Disney isn't trying to pretend that the DDP is going to be an appreciable value going forward.

From the Disney website (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/plans/):
"Save Money. Save up to 20% on dining for kids ages 3 to 9 when you purchase a dining plan for your family as part of a Walt Disney Travel Company package. Savings compared to the nondiscounted price of menu items available to kids ages 3 to 9 at participating locations when purchased without a dining plan."

This is literally the only language describing the "savings" that are possible when you purchase the dining plan. It's basically an admission that whatever the new pricing is going to be, Disney has done the math and knows that adults can not, and should not, expect to save any money at all on their own dining using the DDP. If they could, Disney would be surely advertising it! We know that greater savings were possible in the past with careful restaurant selection and commitment to ordering only the most expensive items (and Disney used to promote that fact, advertising potential savings percentages across the board for the whole family), but those days are clearly gone.

So, if you don't have children 3-9, or weren't otherwise planning on your elementary-aged kids each downing a full TS meal (and that's only if you stick to 1-credit meals -- pick one or more 2-credit meals, and you automatically lose!), CS meal, and snack every day, plus buying them their own refillable mug, then you can expect to pay more for the DDP than you would have paid out of pocket. I think many of those who are excited about the DDP returning are making the logical assumption that it will be like it used to be: it won't.

Obviously there are people who do understand that the DDP isn't going to save them any money, and still prefer to pay more for the "convenience" of the DDP, but I confess I don't understand how scanning your MB to pay for your dinner with a combination of DDP credits and credit cards, etc. (for gratuity and non-DDP-covered items) is more convenient than scanning your MB to charge your entire bill to your room (or even to a credit card or gift card). I know some people like being able to "ignore the menu prices," but you can just as easily do this when you're paying out of pocket, when you've done the math and understand that whatever you order, you'll still come out ahead of where you'd be with the DDP.

That being said, to each his own. The DDP is surely back to stay, but those who opt to purchase it deserve the chance to do so with their eyes open to what it can, and cannot, do for them.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are posting opinions and claiming them to be fact. Try stepping back from the keyboard and thinking about the FACT other people find value in this promotion.
I was gonna suggest this:

Let’s wait and see the prices and rework the math? Fair discussion on numbers?

Because the end would be “it’s valuable to SOME” as the standoff.

Which is also “I want it…I don’t care what you say…NO! NO! NO!” In Disney pricing terms

But now I’m thinking there’s an obvious disconnect. Are you talking inclusion in WDTC UK packages? Cause that’s a completely different scenario. I’m just talking we American plebs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Even Disney isn't trying to pretend that the DDP is going to be an appreciable value going forward.

From the Disney website (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/plans/):
"Save Money. Save up to 20% on dining for kids ages 3 to 9 when you purchase a dining plan for your family as part of a Walt Disney Travel Company package. Savings compared to the nondiscounted price of menu items available to kids ages 3 to 9 at participating locations when purchased without a dining plan."

This is literally the only language describing the "savings" that are possible when you purchase the dining plan. It's basically an admission that whatever the new pricing is going to be, Disney has done the math and knows that adults can not, and should not, expect to save any money at all on their dining using the DDP. If they could, Disney would be surely advertising it! We know that greater savings were possible in the past with careful restaurant selection and commitment to ordering only the most expensive items (and Disney used to clearly promote that fact), but those days are clearly gone.

So, if you don't have children 3-9, or weren't otherwise planning on your elementary-aged kids each downing a full TS meal (and that's only if you stick to 1-credit meals -- pick one or more 2-credit meals, and you automatically lose!), CS meal, and snack every day, plus buying them their own refillable mug, then you can expect to pay more for the DDP than you would have paid out of pocket. I think many of those who are excited about the DDP returning are making the logical assumption that it will be like it used to be: it won't.

Obviously there are people who do understand that the DDP isn't going to save them any money, and still prefer to pay more for the "convenience" of the DDP, but I confess I don't understand how scanning your MB to pay for your dinner with a combination of DDP credits and credit cards, etc. (for gratuity and non-DDP-covered items) is less convenient than scanning your MB to charge your entire bill to your room (or even to a credit card or gift card). I know some people like being able to "ignore the menu prices," but you can just as easily do this when you're paying out of pocket, when you've done the math and understand that whatever you order, you'll still come out ahead of where you'd be with the DDP.

That being said, to each his own.
Here’s where someone says “that’s YOUR opinion 😡

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom