News Disney Dining Plan Returns in 2024

sullyinMT

The correct answer is so simple.

1 entree; 1 soft drink; 1 appetizer OR desert

Done. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that, and yet they've never offered it this way. They don't need to include milkshakes and alcohol as drinks. They sure as heck shouldn't be charging everyone for alcohol if they're going to call a 10 year old an adult.
Especially the last part. Offer an alcohol discount if you’re on DDP and forego your soft drink. Or offer two tiers of “adult” packages. But it really rubbed me the wrong way when they included alcohol but didn’t parse out the under-21’s.

ToTBellHop

Oh good god…
You people are falling for this nonsense already?

You have to WANT to be helped 🙄
Disney fans when the DPB posts an announcement:

1683571463093.gif

MagicWDI

Every time I crunched the numbers I always concluded the Dining Plan wasn't designed to save money at all like so many happy customers make it out to be. If anything it is just prepaying for your food, at times even prepaying for food you might not want.

So I'll just continuing using my own method of prepaying. I just use my various credit card rewards points to purchase Disney gift cards before a trip and just set our own food budget. The great thing is if we don't use all of it we can just roll it over to the next trip, or use it for some merch, etc. We do the same for Disneyland, so whatever we don't use on one trip will definitely be used toward the next Disney trip, and so on. No need for a Dining Plan for us. But if it makes others happy, I wouldn't want to take that away. I'll just keep using my method.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
"Reintroducing the Disney Dining Plan!!! It's a MAGICAL!!! experience for our valued guests, and we're pleased to announce it's triumphant return in 2024!

Starting at only $99.99/person/day (prices subject to change based on date), the Disney Quick Dining Plan will include one (1) snack offering, one (1) non-alcoholic beverage offering, and one (1) Disney Quick Service meal per person, per day (based on location and availability).

Starting at only $199/person/day (prices subject to change based on date), the Disney Dining Plan will include one (1) snack offering, one (1) non-alcoholic beverage offering, and one (1) Disney Table Service meal per person, per day (subject to availability and location).

Starting at only $399/person/day (prices subject to change based on date), the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan will include one (1) snack offering, one (1) non-alcoholic beverage offering, and two (2) Disney Table Service meals per person, per day (subject to availability and location).

No appetizers, desserts, or gratuity is included with any plan. Prices and availability subject to change."

In other news - Disney has quietly raised all food and beverage prices by 200%...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Every time I crunched the numbers I always concluded the Dining Plan wasn't designed to save money at all like so many happy customers make it out to be. If anything it is just prepaying for your food, at times even prepaying for food you might not want.

So I'll just continuing using my own method of prepaying. I just use my various credit card rewards points to purchase Disney gift cards before a trip and just set our own food budget. The great thing is if we don't use all of it we can just roll it over to the next trip, or use it for some merch, etc. We do the same for Disneyland, so whatever we don't use on one trip will definitely be used toward the next Disney trip, and so on. No need for a Dining Plan for us. But if it makes others happy, I wouldn't want to take that away. I'll just keep using my method.

Dining plans are never worth the money unless you are selecting the most expensive menu items for every meal included - I tracked receipts over years and multiple trips and ran the numbers myself. But they have fooled a ton of people into thinking it's a great deal. Many here have pointed that same reality out, but the pixie dust is stronger than logic for so many.

MagicWDI

Dining plans are never worth the money unless you are selecting the most expensive menu items for every meal included - I tracked receipts over years and multiple trips and ran the numbers myself. But they have fooled a ton of people into thinking it's a great deal. Many here have pointed that same reality out, but the pixie dust is stronger than logic for so many.
Pixie dust is a helluva drug

CaptainAmerica

Even tracking receipts, most people make the mistake of comparing the price of the dining plan to the price of what they ordered, rather than the price of what they would have ordered without the dining plan.

Yeah maybe the steak plus the key lime pie is "more expensive" on the menu than the price of the dining credits, but if you were stuffed after your entree and you took either a nibble of the pie or ate the whole thing and made yourself sick, you shouldn't be valuing it fully in your analysis.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It's not been about saving money in over a decade but only for the alleged "convenience" of prepaying. I have hated the DDP for many years as it causes the managers of the better places to purchase lesser quality items to cover their cost. Now if Disney did it right by adding a surcharge for the highest priced items - like filet mignon or lobster, etc., then it would still be good for those of us that pay cash for all of them.

sullyinMT

Even tracking receipts, most people make the mistake of comparing the price of the dining plan to the price of what they ordered, rather than the price of what they would have ordered without the dining plan.

Yeah maybe the steak plus the key lime pie is "more expensive" on the menu than the price of the dining credits, but if you were stuffed after your entree and you took either a nibble of the pie or ate the whole thing and made yourself sick, you shouldn't be valuing it fully in your analysis.
Some plans are bought by cruise/AI customers who just don’t want the headache of a food bill on vacation. We knew full well we weren’t maximizing our for dollar, but it was close enough to shrug it off for convenience’s sake.

However, after visiting twice without the dining plan since the parks reopened, I can’t see us going back to our old ways.

ToTBellHop

They have decided to still include booze and charge 10-year olds the same price as 21-year olds.

Nice.

This feels like Disney trying to attract more childless millennials who will then mitch and boan about how far the parks have fallen and how awful children behave. WHEN DID PARENTS STOP PARENTING! -Karen, a concerned Dog Mom

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
We made the mistake of getting the delux dining plan for my wife's first trip ~10 years ago. So many times where we sat down at a meal not really hungry but with the "we paid for this, we should probably try and get our money's worth" mentality.
It's not been about saving money in over a decade but only for the alleged "convenience" of prepaying. I have hated the DDP for many years as it causes the managers of the better places to purchase lesser quality items to cover their cost. Now if Disney did it right by adding a surcharge for the highest priced items - like filet mignon or lobster, etc., then it would still be good for those of us that pay cash for all of them.
It wouldn't shock me if when it's reintroduced, they limited the menu items you could get with the DDP.

ToTBellHop

They did?
Yep. Here are the rules:

• Beverages are included with each meal. Guests under 21 years of age may choose from a variety of nonalcoholic beverages. Guests 21 and older with valid identification may substitute for beer, wine, and cocktails.
  • Reservations at Table-Service restaurants are subject to availability and are highly recommended.
  • Two table-service meals will be redeemed from the dining plan for each person dining at a Fine/Signature Dining experience, select Character Dining experience, or a Dinner Show.
  • Guests age 3 to 9 must order from a children’s menu, where available.
  • Plan must be purchased for entire length of stay and for the entire party (ages 3 and up).

Absurd for tweens and teens.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yep. Here are the rules:

• Beverages are included with each meal. Guests under 21 years of age may choose from a variety of nonalcoholic beverages. Guests 21 and older with valid identification may substitute for beer, wine, and cocktails.
  • Plan must be purchased for entire length of stay and for the entire party (ages 3 and up).

Meet the new Bob, same as the old Bob.

CaptainAmerica

Yep. Here are the rules:

Sorry I'm clueless today... where are you seeing this? The original blog post was super vague.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom