Disney Dining Plan Question

theedge77

I am getting the free dining plan meal for my family and going in September. I just had a quick question concerning this plan. Are there certain entrees that are 'off-limits' while you are dining on this plan? Three of my family members (including myself) love steak and would be disappointed to make a reservation at a place that we know serves steak... but then find out that we can't order that particular entree.

If there are specific entrees that we have to choose from, is there a website that lists those entrees?

Also, when ordering appetizers... do you get a full appetizer per person... or is it a 'single' serving version of an appetizer?

Thanks for any help you can give!

-Josh

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
gemini said:
Let me jump in with an odd question.

Say I go to a cart to get a bottle of water and for whatever reason I don't want to use one of my snack credits. Can I still use the resort card to buy the drink with the amount going to my bill?

You can buy whatever you want. Unless you provide your card and specifically ask for it as part of the plan it's pay as usual.

Also, another thing to think about, think of the points of your entire group as a pool. Say if there are four of you there for five days, you have a total of 20 options for each meal. If you want, you can get all 20 snacks on the same day. If you are splurging and doing a "2 point" dinner or show, you can just buy your dinner some other night. It is surprisingly flexible and almost always a great bargain. In most restaurants, your server will "help" you spend the most for your meal pointing out various add ons that are within the plan. This is because their tip is based on the total bill.

See the following trip report for some discussion around this:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=1634961&postcount=1

Upvote 0

gemini

OK, that makes sense. I guess in my mind I thought it would be automatically dining plan unless you say otherwise. I see it's the other way around.

A better example would have been that I want to buy breakfast, but not use the dining plan. But my question was answered. :)

Upvote 0

COOLKID007

Ciciwoowoo said:
The funny thing about that is, we went the beginning of May and were told we could only use the DDP upstairs, not downstairs. Just the opposite of what they told you.
Yeah, you could use it downstairs. It was really good!

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

ClemsonTigger said:
You can buy whatever you want. Unless you provide your card and specifically ask for it as part of the plan it's pay as usual.

Also, another thing to think about, think of the points of your entire group as a pool. Say if there are four of you there for five days, you have a total of 20 options for each meal. If you want, you can get all 20 snacks on the same day. If you are splurging and doing a "2 point" dinner or show, you can just buy your dinner some other night. It is surprisingly flexible and almost always a great bargain. In most restaurants, your server will "help" you spend the most for your meal pointing out various add ons that are within the plan. This is because their tip is based on the total bill.

See the following trip report for some discussion around this:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=1634961&postcount=1
Another thing with the pool of credits:
My mom and I usually split an entree, and with the addition of the appetizer and dessert, this is more than enough food for the two of us. (My dad and sister will still get their own items). Since we will be down there for about a week, with my mom and I splitting all dinner credits, we figure we will have enough left over to enjoy a signature dining location (2 credits) one night without having to pay for an extra dinner out of pocket.

We probably will do the same thing for our counter service lunches, which means we will have some counter service credits left over too. Can you "downgrade" a credit, and use a counter service credit at a snack place? We might be able to get in some free breakfast's out of this plan as well!

And I'm so excited to see that a lot more snack options were put into effect the past few weeks. Now you can pretty much get any snack you want as long as it's under $4.00 (think: Dole whips, pastries at the Main Street Bakery, etc)

Upvote 0

hansel1

autigger said:
First, I had the same question as gemini (above) concering snacks.

Second, how do tips work? Are they included and, if so, how much? For example, if I went to La Cellier and the bill was $200, would I need to tip out-of-pocket what I normally would for that type of meal?

As stated above, the tips are included in the DDP. We found however, that at some restaurants the servers went out of their way to make us feel welcomed, so we usually would tip $10-15 over and above the plan. We didn't do this all the time as some servers were not good at all.

Upvote 0

yazmin182

Sewin2Disney,
It's really exciting they added extra snacks cuz there wasn't much choice. Do you know if there is a place that has a listing of the snacks we can get?
ALso be careful about saving extra counter-service or table-service because my mom and I did that once and then we had to make time for on extra meal. BUt you're so right, you get sooo much food! It's great!

Hansel1,
It's so great that the tip is included but I cant' believe sometimes you tipped them 10-15 dollars over! Lucky servers, they must have made loads. Also, the waiters get 18% tip automatically and usually that high of a tip is charged on a table of 8 or more, so even if they get 2 people at a table, they still get 18%! Lucky them. I still cant believe you tipped extra, they must have loved you

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

Allearsnet.com has menus for all resturants on Disney property. Since this was only introduced a few days ago, there isn't an official list yet, but to get a rough idea, click on the menu's for any places listed as "quick snack" or "kiosk" (Fountainview Cafe, Safari Pretzel, or Trapper Bobs are all examples) and pretty much anything under $4 would be included.
When you get to Disney, on the menus there will be a small Disney Dining Plan logo next to the snacks you are allowed to order, so there is no confusion.
I hope that helps!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom