Disney Dining Experience Discount Warning!

Kashyyyk

With the new Disney Dining Plan (DDP) you only get to decide on the tip amount if your party consists of 5 or less people.

If you have 6 people in your family/group then they will be adding 18% automatically.

Automatic tips used to be reserved for large parties and/or grand gatherings. Now, it seems, Disney considers 6 people a large party.

wannabeBelle

With the new Disney Dining Plan (DDP) you only get to decide on the tip amount if your party consists of 5 or less people.

If you have 6 people in your family/group then they will be adding 18% automatically.

Automatic tips used to be reserved for large parties and/or grand gatherings. Now, it seems, Disney considers 6 people a large party.

Absolutely correct!!! I forgot to throw that part in, thanks for the backup Kashyyyk!!! Belle

hpyhnt 1000

We were at WDW last weekend and used our DDE card extensively. I was pleasantly surprised to have the server (on more than once occassion) point out that they gratuity was now added in with the bill. I know people are put off by the automatic tip, but I have no issue with it.

Yes, some people are put off by it. The bigger issue just about all of us have is the setup of the new reciepts. It is somewhat unclear and confusing, as it includes a tip automatically, but still leaves a line for the tip later on.

Personally, I'd rather leave my own tip, especially if they are going to tax the tip at 6.5%. I see that as kind of unfair.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I'm one of those put off with the concept of automatic tipping.

I tip based on the caliber of service. Frequently more than 20%. However, forcing me to pay 18% for service that I feel is sub par is not something I feel Disney should be forcing me.

So I've spoken with my wallet. No DDE renewal, fewer sit down meals during my trips, and an Amex chargeback for my prior DDE renewal due to the change of terms.

I typically do 1 sit down meal per day per trip... sometimes two. Last trip, I did one sit down meal on a 5 day trip, the rest at off property locations, or a brown-bagged it. If Disney wants to lose my revenue, it's their choice. But as the consumer, it's ultimately my choice to give them my business.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes, some people are put off by it. The bigger issue just about all of us have is the setup of the new reciepts. It is somewhat unclear and confusing, as it includes a tip automatically, but still leaves a line for the tip later on.

Personally, I'd rather leave my own tip, especially if they are going to tax the tip at 6.5%. I see that as kind of unfair.

They aren't taxing the tip.

See above example in OP:
Subtotal = $ 27.18
6.5% tax= $ 1.77

If tax had been included it would have been:
Subtotal plus tip of $ 6.12 = $ 33.20
6.5% tax = $ 2.16

pepe the prawn

2008 Dining Plan

As of the 2008 dining plan, Disney no longer includes the tip (or appetizer for the table service meals). If you are going to eat a lot, the dining plan is most likely still worth it. You could also check into the deluxe plan, which is more expensive but gives you a whole lot for your money. Just bring your 'fat' clothes for the ride home!

formercast84

Get a refund

I checked the agreement with Disney on the Disney Dining Experience and the agreement doesn't allow for this change. I called and they told me to send the card back and they would give me a full refund. Well, I got the refund. They said that if you feel the tip was too high (for poor service, etc.) that you could complain to the managment. It seems that if Disney is going to charge over double for their food, they should also force what amounts to an 18% service fee. By the way, it only applies to DDE members and at the same time they started charging us, they took off the 18% off the Disney Dinining Plan users. I think they are trying to get rid of the program by making the effective discount 2%. If I want to tip 18% it should be my choice and not theirs. I have been going to disney since 1971 and have watched their policies get worse and worse. I don't think we will be renewing our annual passes, but be assured we won't be eating at the sit down restaurants any more. Maybe if everyone demands a refund, they will change their ways.:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom