• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disney Cruise Tipping

Grumpy06

Original Poster
Just got back from a great 7day cruise to the western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy.Service was great from servers to room attendant,did the prepay tips 49.00 each for the head server and room attendant 42.00 for assistant server and 26.00 for matradie
Wonderering what the norm is for good service,gave each cash same as advance pay tip
Did I over tip ,not enough,or was the standard tip enough
Advice or opinion would be helpful for next cruise we booked for next year

Phonedave

Advertisement
Just got back from a great 7day cruise to the western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy.Service was great from servers to room attendant,did the prepay tips 49.00 each for the head server and room attendant 42.00 for assistant server and 26.00 for matradie
Wonderering what the norm is for good service,gave each cash same as advance pay tip
Did I over tip ,not enough,or was the standard tip enough
Advice or opinion would be helpful for next cruise we booked for next year

Am I reading this correctly? You did pre-paid tips, and then gave them the same amount in cash as well - essentially double tipping? That is an awfull lot for a tip. The standard that you prepay is the standard for tipping. If somone goes above and beyond, then feel free to tip more. If not, then dont tip extra. I have never had a situation on a cruise (any cruise) where a person in a tipped position was bad and I felt I wanted to reduce the tip. I think those positions are desireable, and the people who do get them work very hard to keep them and earn the tips they get.

Grumpy06

Original Poster
Wasn’t sure if we were tipping to much
Seemed to me that the the 84.00 the server and room attendant was really enough
Really only worked out to 9.00 per day
Thanks for the response

Phonedave

Wasn’t sure if we were tipping to much
Seemed to me that the the 84.00 the server and room attendant was really enough
Really only worked out to 9.00 per day
Thanks for the response

You have to remember the number of people that are tipping. A server and assistant server may have 3 or 4 tables - or 15 to 20 people they are serving per seating. A head server may have 3 or 4 service teams under them - or 45 to 80 guests at each seating. When you start to add it up, a $25 tip from each person adds up to quite a bit.

-dave

C&D

I also do the pre-pay tips, so when I get the envelope I still have the option to up-tip if I feel it is warranted. Pre-pays are easy, and I think if I throw in an extra 10/20 or whatever dollars extra, it conveys that I was more than happy with the service rendered.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
On my last cruise, I gave extra cash to the stateroom host and both servers. Our server was amazing and did get nearly double for a tip. The assistant server worked hard, and got some extra but not quite as much. The head server got the standard tip, and my very friendly and considerate stateroom host also got almost double.

I usually do give extra cash, generally rounding up to the next "5" or "0", so $3 for assistant server and $4 for server and host, but I felt that the service team really was exceptional on my last cruise so I gave more.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
You have to remember the number of people that are tipping. A server and assistant server may have 3 or 4 tables - or 15 to 20 people they are serving per seating. A head server may have 3 or 4 service teams under them - or 45 to 80 guests at each seating. When you start to add it up, a $25 tip from each person adds up to quite a bit.

-dave
That's why I never give extra to the head server! They don't really deliver much personalized service.

Phonedave

That's why I never give extra to the head server! They don't really deliver much personalized service.
On occassion I have had them come over and talk with us, but you are correct, they are usually in more of a supervisory role, making sure things flow smoothly and any problems are addressed quickly, rather than personal interaction.

Interstingly, on our Celebrity Cruises, there was no tip for a head waiter, neither was a head waiter even mentioned. We had a lead server, and an assistant. We also had a sommiler who was tipped, but she was really more of an all purpose beverage runner. She took care of any drinks as well as recommending wines. She was tipped around the same as a head waiter, but she acually came around to our table quite often, learned our prefrences, and was inteactive.

-dave

DE_DISNEY

We tipped the Disney suggested amount and felt it was appropriate for the very good to excellent service we received.

lee.moles.disney

Sorry for digging up an old thread but looking for tipping advice.

Doing our first cruise ever on the dream next September. 4 nights and we are wondering how much we need to be tipping each person.

How does pre-tipping work? What do most people do?

Top Bottom