Disney Cruise Tipping

Grumpy06

Original Poster
Just got back from a great 7day cruise to the western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy.Service was great from servers to room attendant,did the prepay tips 49.00 each for the head server and room attendant 42.00 for assistant server and 26.00 for matradie
Wonderering what the norm is for good service,gave each cash same as advance pay tip
Did I over tip ,not enough,or was the standard tip enough
Advice or opinion would be helpful for next cruise we booked for next year

Phonedave

Just got back from a great 7day cruise to the western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy.Service was great from servers to room attendant,did the prepay tips 49.00 each for the head server and room attendant 42.00 for assistant server and 26.00 for matradie
Wonderering what the norm is for good service,gave each cash same as advance pay tip
Did I over tip ,not enough,or was the standard tip enough
Advice or opinion would be helpful for next cruise we booked for next year

Am I reading this correctly? You did pre-paid tips, and then gave them the same amount in cash as well - essentially double tipping? That is an awfull lot for a tip. The standard that you prepay is the standard for tipping. If somone goes above and beyond, then feel free to tip more. If not, then dont tip extra. I have never had a situation on a cruise (any cruise) where a person in a tipped position was bad and I felt I wanted to reduce the tip. I think those positions are desireable, and the people who do get them work very hard to keep them and earn the tips they get.

Grumpy06

Original Poster
Wasn’t sure if we were tipping to much
Seemed to me that the the 84.00 the server and room attendant was really enough
Really only worked out to 9.00 per day
Thanks for the response

Phonedave

Wasn’t sure if we were tipping to much
Seemed to me that the the 84.00 the server and room attendant was really enough
Really only worked out to 9.00 per day
Thanks for the response

You have to remember the number of people that are tipping. A server and assistant server may have 3 or 4 tables - or 15 to 20 people they are serving per seating. A head server may have 3 or 4 service teams under them - or 45 to 80 guests at each seating. When you start to add it up, a $25 tip from each person adds up to quite a bit.

-dave

C&D

I also do the pre-pay tips, so when I get the envelope I still have the option to up-tip if I feel it is warranted. Pre-pays are easy, and I think if I throw in an extra 10/20 or whatever dollars extra, it conveys that I was more than happy with the service rendered.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
On my last cruise, I gave extra cash to the stateroom host and both servers. Our server was amazing and did get nearly double for a tip. The assistant server worked hard, and got some extra but not quite as much. The head server got the standard tip, and my very friendly and considerate stateroom host also got almost double.

I usually do give extra cash, generally rounding up to the next "5" or "0", so $3 for assistant server and $4 for server and host, but I felt that the service team really was exceptional on my last cruise so I gave more.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
You have to remember the number of people that are tipping. A server and assistant server may have 3 or 4 tables - or 15 to 20 people they are serving per seating. A head server may have 3 or 4 service teams under them - or 45 to 80 guests at each seating. When you start to add it up, a $25 tip from each person adds up to quite a bit.

-dave

That's why I never give extra to the head server! They don't really deliver much personalized service.

Phonedave

That's why I never give extra to the head server! They don't really deliver much personalized service.

On occassion I have had them come over and talk with us, but you are correct, they are usually in more of a supervisory role, making sure things flow smoothly and any problems are addressed quickly, rather than personal interaction.

Interstingly, on our Celebrity Cruises, there was no tip for a head waiter, neither was a head waiter even mentioned. We had a lead server, and an assistant. We also had a sommiler who was tipped, but she was really more of an all purpose beverage runner. She took care of any drinks as well as recommending wines. She was tipped around the same as a head waiter, but she acually came around to our table quite often, learned our prefrences, and was inteactive.

-dave

Indy_UK

Sorry for digging up an old thread but looking for tipping advice.

Doing our first cruise ever on the dream next September. 4 nights and we are wondering how much we need to be tipping each person.

How does pre-tipping work? What do most people do?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
We hardly saw our head server on our first cruise so he got no extra. This cruise just gone was a different gentleman. he was all over the room helping out with anything. He was even in cabanas a couple of times. He got extra.

NelleBelle

On our first cruise we saw our head server once. He got the standard while everyone else was "up-tipped." On our last 2 cruises, the head server went above and beyond working with the chef for my allergies and vegetarian diet. He noticed I wasn't eating and helped coordinate with the chef some special meals. Same with the last cruise--both were outstanding that they were up-tipped significantly (as were all the staff we had on that cruise--just the best staff we've ever had)!

jme

Sorry for digging up an old thread but looking for tipping advice.

Doing our first cruise ever on the dream next September. 4 nights and we are wondering how much we need to be tipping each person.

How does pre-tipping work? What do most people do?

The recommended amounts per night are $4 for Server, $3 for Assistant Server, $1 for Head Server and $4 for Stateroom Host/Hostess per person in your sailing party.
So for a 4 night cruise, your Server and Host should get $16 per person in your party (even children) so for a party of 4, $64 total tip each.
The head server would only get $16 for this party size.

This is what Disney automatically charges (pre-tipping). You can go to guest services at any point during your cruise to adjust this. I would say by all accounts I’ve heard, most people use the default tip. And plenty add extra. I have heard from some cast members that they have been stuffed before but it’s not very common, and usually there is someone who goes above and beyond to counter that out.

Also, pre-tipping will provide you with a little ticket to place in each tip envelope indicating the amount. If you want to give any one a little extra you can also add cash here.

Indy_UK

So on the first day of my cruise, could I go to guest relations and pre-tip all in cash and then get the voucher to put in the envelopes?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
So on the first day of my cruise, could I go to guest relations and pre-tip all in cash and then get the voucher to put in the envelopes?
You can pay in cash. The vouchers will be left in your stateroom near the end of the cruise with the relevant envelopes. You put the tickets in along with any extra tip you want to give. You then pass the envelopes on to the relevant people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom