Disney Cruise Ship Titles announced

Kamikaze

Carnival already has Celebration, though retired IIRC, and I am sure Celebrate would be too closely related.

Carnival also has a 'Dream' already.

Can you copyright ship names? I was on the Carnival Fantasy years ago.

Well, yes and no. The copyrighted name of that ship would be 'Carnival Fantasy'. Not just 'Fantasy'. The actual name of the ship has to be left open, because you can't have Carnival or Disney telling people they can't call their 30 foot boat 'Fantasy'.

Giraffe Lounge

Original Poster
Okay, so Carnival couldn't trademark "Fantasy" as the name of the cruise ship? Could Ford have a car called the "Ford Prius?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_distinctiveness

The context and meaning of the word does have a bearing on the extend to which one can claim it. Prius, for example, is a made up word with no prior meaning so no one can use it for another product in any context, including cars.

Since Dream and Fantasy are existing words they aren't afforded the same protection.

tomm4004

Based on the Wik article I get the impression that Carnival could trademark "Fantasy." Obviously, I'm wrong. I read it as meaning that while you can't trademark the 'Cruise Line' in Carnival Cruise Line you can trademark a specific name for a specific use. So GM could call a car the "Buick Fantasy," but not have a cruise ship called "Fantasy." Again, obviously I'm reading it wrong. Still, I'm surprised Disney would want the same name as another ship that, I believe, sails from the same port.

JWG

Seriously people, it's just a name.

The name has no bearing on the ship or the service it provides. Who cares about the names. They do tie to Disney, which is all that really matters.

People are quick to hate everything and like little around here.

Let's wait and see what the ships look like and such before getting so worked up.

WDITrent

Nope, they changed them all. The three towers are now Dreams, Wonder, and Magic. I think once a fanboy gains control of the Disney company in the far future, they should change the ship names to Bonita, Sierra, and Marina. :lol:
:eek:
I totally missed that. When I went two years ago I stayed in Sierra Tower... but I guess now it's obvious that things change quickly.

Or at least some things SHOULD change quickly...

*cough*spaceshipearthdescent*COUGH*

StitchRokcs

I not surprised i think it suits the Magic and Wonder well single syllable names. Now carnival cruise lines has a or is making a Carnival Dream, Magic and something else its part of their new dream class of cruise liners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom