Disney Cruise in 2012? What? How? Comments, Etc....

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
We're thinking about doing a family trip on the Disney Cruise in 2012. Those of you who have been on it, what suggestions do you have? We're thinking of a 7 day Caribbean cruise. When time of the year is the cheapest time to go?

I've seen the videos, and know about the restaurants and day-care and all that, but putting it altogether into one vacation is what I need help on.

Please share your experiences and suggestions from your trips on the cruise. Thanks in advance!!! :wave:

Disneyfalcon

You know I have a million tips and I know you've read my cruise trip reports!:D

How exciting by the way!!:sohappy:

For planning purposes the cheapest times are generally September, January, February, and early May. There are some other random weeks stuck in there that will be cheap (i.e. weeks without holidays, schools are all in session, etc.), but those are the general guidelines.

My number one piece of advice is - DO IT! It's an amazing vacation. You will never forget it, and you'll probably want to do it over and over again.:)

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
You know I have a million tips and I know you've read my cruise trip reports!:D

How exciting by the way!!:sohappy:

For planning purposes the cheapest times are generally September, January, February, and early May. There are some other random weeks stuck in there that will be cheap (i.e. weeks without holidays, schools are all in session, etc.), but those are the general guidelines.

My number one piece of advice is - DO IT! It's an amazing vacation. You will never forget it, and you'll probably want to do it over and over again.:)

Yeah, I have read them; they're awesome!!! I sent you an email by the way about this :D

We really wanna do it!

wdwhoneymooner

We went on our first Disney cruise back in November and we had a wonderful time. If you don't see yourself as shoppers, then I highly recommend a time when the ship docks @ Castaway Cay twice (also known as "Double Dipping"). Ours was a 7 day cruise which stopped @:

Castaway Cay
Grand Cayman
Cozumel
again at Castaway Cay

We didn't want to spend too much of our time shopping so we instead planned excursions that the family enjoyed. While at Grand Cayman, we visited Boat Swains Beach http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky

The general admission fee allowed entrance to most of the park and an additional fee would include being able to snorkel in their lagoon. We had a nice time, but found that the lagoon was extremely murky and made it hard to see beyond 15 feet.

At Cozumel we visited Chankanaab Park http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx/
Had more fun here vs. Boat Swains. The admission included snorkeling gear and it was nice being in the open water vs. a man made pool.

There is also a beach designed for kids closer to the front entrance, but I must advise you to bring water shoes or water socks with good souls. There are some fairly sharp rocks leading out into the water. I saw many folks who experienced hurt feet when they waded in barefoot. There are walkways into the water made of sandbags but it you can easily slip off and land onto something uncomfortable.

Castaway Cay was amazing. We took in the Sting Ray experience and our son was the most excited to feed them. Afterward you could snorkel with them in a designated area. We also rented bikes for the tour around the island. Disney thought of everything: the roads are nearly flat everywhere so it was easy to pedal around. You even get to bike on the old plane runway. There are multiple watering stations along the path too.

Parental tip: If you plan to have your children utilize the Kids camps while on board, I'd advise registering them while at the terminal before boarding. There may be a line, but you're most likely going to wait before going on the ship anyways. And there were 6 CM's helping with registration vs. only 2 on board.

We brought our own mini-medical bag just in case we needed it: children's pain/fever meds, something for a queezy stomach, etc.

If you plan on attending any character meet-n-greets be sure you arrive early or else the lines get super, super long. It seemed that folks took their sweet time while seeing/taking pictures with the characters and made the queue increase exponentially.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
We went on our first Disney cruise back in November and we had a wonderful time. If you don't see yourself as shoppers, then I highly recommend a time when the ship docks @ Castaway Cay twice (also known as "Double Dipping"). Ours was a 7 day cruise which stopped @:

Castaway Cay
Grand Cayman
Cozumel
again at Castaway Cay

We didn't want to spend too much of our time shopping so we instead planned excursions that the family enjoyed. While at Grand Cayman, we visited Boat Swains Beach http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky

The general admission fee allowed entrance to most of the park and an additional fee would include being able to snorkel in their lagoon. We had a nice time, but found that the lagoon was extremely murky and made it hard to see beyond 15 feet.

At Cozumel we visited Chankanaab Park http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx/
Had more fun here vs. Boat Swains. The admission included snorkeling gear and it was nice being in the open water vs. a man made pool.

There is also a beach designed for kids closer to the front entrance, but I must advise you to bring water shoes or water socks with good souls. There are some fairly sharp rocks leading out into the water. I saw many folks who experienced hurt feet when they waded in barefoot. There are walkways into the water made of sandbags but it you can easily slip off and land onto something uncomfortable.

Castaway Cay was amazing. We took in the Sting Ray experience and our son was the most excited to feed them. Afterward you could snorkel with them in a designated area. We also rented bikes for the tour around the island. Disney thought of everything: the roads are nearly flat everywhere so it was easy to pedal around. You even get to bike on the old plane runway. There are multiple watering stations along the path too.

Parental tip: If you plan to have your children utilize the Kids camps while on board, I'd advise registering them while at the terminal before boarding. There may be a line, but you're most likely going to wait before going on the ship anyways. And there were 6 CM's helping with registration vs. only 2 on board.

We brought our own mini-medical bag just in case we needed it: children's pain/fever meds, something for a queezy stomach, etc.

If you plan on attending any character meet-n-greets be sure you arrive early or else the lines get super, super long. It seemed that folks took their sweet time while seeing/taking pictures with the characters and made the queue increase exponentially.

Thanks! :sohappy:

Phonedave

It seems that the later in the summer you go, the cheaper the cruise gets. The price drops steadly from the beginning of July to the end of September.

There is some really nice shopping on the Grand Caymans - lots of very interesting shipwreck items - coins and other metals. Rum Point is a nice beach to visit as well. The kayak tours of the mangroves are great as well. Also some of the best snorkling and diving around, but that may be tough to do in the time allotted to you.

I was in the Grand Caymans for a week last December, and will be back for the week after Thanksgiving this year, a lot of the stuff I did my not be offered through the ship, but you can always book it on your own and get a cab. It's not a big island, and Rum Point is about as far away from the ship as you are going to go - beyond that the island is pretty much deviod of touristy things (though there are some good restaruants out that way, and some nice beaches) If you hit the timing right, Startfish point is impressive, if you hit it wrong its just a beach (starfish come in and out with the tides)

-dave

madswithano

As crazy as it seems, I high suggest you go during hurricane season. It's much cheaper and the weather is still wonderful. We've cruised in September, twice in October, and in November and haven't had any problems. We had beautiful weather every day, there was absolutely no way you could tell that it was hurricane season.

Phonedave

As crazy as it seems, I high suggest you go during hurricane season. It's much cheaper and the weather is still wonderful. We've cruised in September, twice in October, and in November and haven't had any problems. We had beautiful weather every day, there was absolutely no way you could tell that it was hurricane season.

You were lucky. While at sea they can sail around storms (well, not major ones) at ports of call you do not have that option.

We go in August, which is smack in the middle of hurricane season, and have had no problems on two cruises now (and have a thirs booked for 2011) but there is a reason the prices are cheaper.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom