Disney Copycat Characters

Phonedave

e

Disney is actually quite careful with their litigation tactics. While many people cite a few instances where they've been especially tenacious, the truth is that they pick and choose. I do artwork at a lot of conventions, and many artists (like myself), have created fan artwork and mashups of Disney characters. Only a few artists get picked to have their stuff removed, usually because the style is too on point with Disney's, or its an against the Disney brand (An artist selling a "sexy Elsa" was given a cease and desist at one con)

I have quite a few friends who do the character party rounds. Most of the Princess Party companies avoid fights with Disney because they don't advertise the characters as the genuine characters...It's "Ice Queen" or "Street Rat". They openly say they are not affiliated with the Disney company, and for the most part Disney turns a blind eye because, as long as they do a good job (no Elsas twerking), they're pushing their brand still.

In addition to that, pursuing legal action is a futile endeavor, especially since there are HUNDREDS of them across the US. Disney would have to individually cease and desist and sue each of them.

I met one artist in town that was selling what looked like EXACT Disney character sketches. These looked exactly like what the Disney artists sell in the Art of Disney stores. She was also selling art for kids bedrooms with Disney characters on it.

I mentioned to her that her stuff actualy looked like a Disney artist had done it, and she replied "that's because I was one". Apparently she worked for Disney for a while, but then had to quit because she had to move to NJ. She was allowed to keep a number of sketches that she had made while employed, but not create any new ones. The old ones were what she was selling. If you wanted a your kids name with Disney characters next to it, she would draw your kids name in a "Disney style" and add appropriate decoraction around it, and then mount an existing sketch in the same frame. She said she was very carefull not to violate any of the terms of her agreement, as she never knew if she would have a chance to work for Disney again.

brb1006

Yes they seem to run in packs, they "offer to have their picture taken " and once complete they "demand" payment for their services. It's ridiculous even more so it happens in eyesight the Disney Store on Times Square. The costumes are generally such low quality I simply don't understand the appeal...I'll be up there next week to see Something Rotten and move my daughter in to Law School so Ill get to watch the train wreck all over again
No wonder you rarely see the official Disney characters (Mainly Mickey & Minnie) show up at the Disney Store in NYC. The same goes for Sanrio with Hello Kitty and My Melody. The official characters made by these companies usually show up on special occasions or events (Mainly during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade). So after knowing about this, that might make sense to avoid confusion with the low quality characters.

brb1006

Times Square changed the set up. There are now teal colored boxes painted on the ground where the performers must remain. There are also signs that they have on display that say something along the lines of "while there is no fomal charge to take a picture with a character actor, gratuities are expected" or something like that.

I was there with my daughter in mid-June to see "Fiddler" and they had just instituted that rule. Character actors were still wandernig around, most strayed out of their "boxes"

-dave
When did characters actors at NYC started becoming a thing? I don't remember that being common at NYC in the early 2000's and the late 90's. But it started becoming a thing in 2010.

brb1006

I met one artist in town that was selling what looked like EXACT Disney character sketches. These looked exactly like what the Disney artists sell in the Art of Disney stores. She was also selling art for kids bedrooms with Disney characters on it.

I mentioned to her that her stuff actual looked like a Disney artist had done it, and she replied "that's because I was one". Apparently she worked for Disney for a while, but then had to quit because she had to move to NJ. She was allowed to keep a number of sketches that she had made while employed, but not create any new ones. The old ones were what she was selling. If you wanted a your kids name with Disney characters next to it, she would draw your kids name in a "Disney style" and add appropriate decoration around it, and then mount an existing sketch in the same frame. She said she was very carefully not to violate any of the terms of her agreement, as she never knew if she would have a chance to work for Disney again.
Not related to the costumes, but I remember Storybook Land in New Jersey contained products that used Disney characters. These must have been made during the 70's judging by the color quality and back when copyright laws and Disney weren't as big of a deal as it is today.

Speaking of characters,

righttrack

When did characters actors at NYC started becoming a thing? I don't remember that being common at NYC in the early 2000's and the late 90's. But it started becoming a thing in 2010.

I'd put it as a 2010s phenomenon myself. Busking in general in Times Square started post-Guilianni cleanup. First there was the Naked Cowboy, then the Statue of Liberty people, all around 2000/early 2000s. Then came some Power Ranger and others. It was a slow build. When Bloomberg closed off 7th ave to make it a pedestrian mall, that's when things went crazy. That's when all of a sudden it was no longer easy to get through Times Square.

Phonedave

I'd put it as a 2010s phenomenon myself. Busking in general in Times Square started post-Guilianni cleanup. First there was the Naked Cowboy, then the Statue of Liberty people, all around 2000/early 2000s. Then came some Power Ranger and others. It was a slow build. When Bloomberg closed off 7th ave to make it a pedestrian mall, that's when things went crazy. That's when all of a sudden it was no longer easy to get through Times Square.

That sounds about right. When I woked in NYC in the late 90's (1 Penn Plaza) and walked up that way to get the busTime's Square was just starting the clean up phase - getting rid of the adult shops and doing a lot of clean up. Thats about when the characters started to appear. It is also when the street vendors started changing from people selling "Genuine Rolxoes and Guggi bags" to people doing charactures and selling art.

-dave

carriehpotter

Yes they seem to run in packs, they "offer to have their picture taken " and once complete they "demand" payment for their services. It's ridiculous even more so it happens in eyesight the Disney Store on Times Square. The costumes are generally such low quality I simply don't understand the appeal...I'll be up there next week to see Something Rotten and move my daughter in to Law School so Ill get to watch the train wreck all over again
Completely off topic, but I've seen Something Rotten! twice and it is INCREDIBLE. It is great, great fun. Enjoy it!!

On topic, when I was in NYC a few weeks ago, the costumed people in Times Square seemed even worse than before. In front of Hard Rock Cafe, a Spiderman held his hand out for a little boy to shake, and when the kid did, "Spiderman" grabbed on and wouldn't let go! His parents were walking ahead of him and I could tell he was getting scared. I was all ready to step in, but his father finally noticed and yanked the boy away. I've never understood the appeal of these "characters," and in general they are creepy, pushy, and pretty tasteless.

LongLiveTheKing

What is with websites like dhgate that always created cheap Disney costumes? They all look like they were made by one guy.

avim_2002000962_00.jpg

high-quality-adult-size-snow-white-crtoon.jpg

I came across this one which shows the copycat costumes and here's the photo of the official ones by Disney. They are even called "High Quality".
(From the site)
rBVaG1Y7gtuAJKczAAVdonUHWWo103.jpg

(Official)
Hot%20sales%20High%20quality%20Mickey%20Mouse%20mascot%20costume%20Mickey%20mascot%20Minnie%20mascot%20Minnie%20mascot%20pink%20dress%20ZJ1255.jpg
If I ever have a nightmare featuring Disney characters, those knock off Mickey and Minnie costumes will be the things chasing me. They look like a parody of the characters.

Figments Friend

If ya'all like seeing lots of 'knock off' character costumes, you need to take a trip out to Hollywood, CA and stand in front of the real Chinese Theater.
The things you will see.....

A must do..at least once.
Just be alert, and beware of hustlers.

-

LongLiveTheKing

It gets worse:hilarious:
(Pinocchio)
Hot%20Pinocchio%20Mascot%20FREE%20SHIPPING%20USA%20Halloween%20GRU%20DISPICABLE%20ME.jpg

(Donald & Daisy)
new%20style%20Christmas%20fancy%20dress%20Donald%20Duck%20Daisy%20Duck%20Mascot%20Costumes%20halloween%20easter%20Performance%20Animal%20adults%20costumes%20for%20guys.jpg

(Marie which is going to haunt me in my dreams)
Merry%20White%20Marrie%20Marie%20Cat%20Super%20Mario%20Cat%20Kitten%20Mascot%20Costume%20Cartoon%20Character%20Mascotte%20Pink%20Ears%20Purple%20Brows%20No.9869%20FS.jpg

:eek:
I actually thought the Pinochio one looked too silly and doofy to be nightmare fuel. The rest though, yes, absolute yeesh. That Daisy looks like a Five Nights At Freddy's monster with the way its eyes are in a half lull.

brb1006

I actually thought the Pinochio one looked too silly and doofy to be nightmare fuel. The rest though, yes, absolute yeesh. That Daisy looks like a Five Nights At Freddy's monster with the way its eyes are in a half lull.
Marie's head freaks me out the most and those ears. And most of her face appears to be made out of a marker and why is she wearing a bowtie?

mimitchi33

Why do the voices of the dwarves remind me of Teddy Ruxpin characters?
It gets worse:hilarious:
(Pinocchio)
Hot%20Pinocchio%20Mascot%20FREE%20SHIPPING%20USA%20Halloween%20GRU%20DISPICABLE%20ME.jpg

(Donald & Daisy)
new%20style%20Christmas%20fancy%20dress%20Donald%20Duck%20Daisy%20Duck%20Mascot%20Costumes%20halloween%20easter%20Performance%20Animal%20adults%20costumes%20for%20guys.jpg

(Marie which is going to haunt me in my dreams)
Merry%20White%20Marrie%20Marie%20Cat%20Super%20Mario%20Cat%20Kitten%20Mascot%20Costume%20Cartoon%20Character%20Mascotte%20Pink%20Ears%20Purple%20Brows%20No.9869%20FS.jpg

:eek:
The Marie would look cute if it was a stuffed animal and not a costume!

Here are some I found:
The listing for this said it was an Arlo costume from The Good Dinosaur, but does that look like Arlo to you?
temp2.0x0.jpg

This looks more like the kid of a Transformer and a car than Lightning McQueen...
red-cars-mascot-costume-adult-character-high.jpg

Ferb, that doesn't look like you at all...
rBVaG1R2k1WAXifWAAHjSxyF8Z0186.jpg

Elsa's look alone is creepy enough, but the heads surrounding her give it a more surreal feel!

HTB15Z23FVXXXXXlapXXq6xXFXXXg.jpg

It looks like Bing Bong ate a human!
bing_bong.jpg

s8film40

There's a really good documentary about the characters in Hollywood called "Confessions of a Superhero".

As far as Disney going after this it really mostly depends on how the costume is being used. Anyone can make a costume and wear it and Disney can't really do anything at all about it. It's what they do with the costume and/or in the costume that can start to be an issue.

sgtmgd

Completely off topic, but I've seen Something Rotten! twice and it is INCREDIBLE. It is great, great fun. Enjoy it!!

On topic, when I was in NYC a few weeks ago, the costumed people in Times Square seemed even worse than before. In front of Hard Rock Cafe, a Spiderman held his hand out for a little boy to shake, and when the kid did, "Spiderman" grabbed on and wouldn't let go! His parents were walking ahead of him and I could tell he was getting scared. I was all ready to step in, but his father finally noticed and yanked the boy away. I've never understood the appeal of these "characters," and in general they are creepy, pushy, and pretty tasteless.

I just wish Christian Borle would have waited a few more weeks before leaving ..lol

seabreezept813

I remember going to NYC as a kid around 2005 and there was one Spiderman and maybe one other character. When we went this past December, the place was flooded with creepy characters. They were also aggressive. If I turned my head for a minute, one would grab my stepdaughter and try to get her to take pictures. I found it very overwhelming and trashy to be honest.

JRMFL

I've been seeing ads in my mobile FB feed for a game called Galaxy Wars. This is not a game affiliated with Star Wars, Disney, or Lucasarts in any way. Yet in their ads, the visuals they use shamelessly rip off Star Wars.
GalaxyWarsIPinfringement1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom