Disney contract passes.

ToTBellHop

that's really pathetic. If not even 6000 out of over 20,000 can bother to show up to vote (how strenuous is that to do?), then they have no place to complain about pay rates. I think they should make more money, but I really have no sympathy for someone who can't find 5 minutes to vote.

Champion

that's really pathetic. If not even 6000 out of over 20,000 can bother to show up to vote (how strenuous is that to do?), then they have no place to complain about pay rates. I think they should make more money, but I really have no sympathy for someone who can't find 5 minutes to vote.

Well, thats basically the same percentage that vote in elections.

jmvd20

Not voting in elections is bad enough, however I would have thought people would at least show up to vote for better pay and benefits. Guess they had more important things to do...

majortom1981

hmm

My union does this one thing that upsets me. They do something stupid and schedule the voting for when everybody is supposed to be working or away.

When was the vote scheduled for?

ToTBellHop

in America, yes...people aren't that apathetic elsewhere (of course, in some countries, it's illegal not to vote haha). Still...this isn't a choice between two candidates everyone hates. This was a vote for better CM compensation. It's disgusting for individuals to skip out on that. I don't wanna hear any more from CMs about how they are treated poorly and underpaid, though. What's the point in complaining to us (the folks who cannot do anything) while failing to step up to the voting booth? I don't get it, really.

alecshawn

Good news....Unions have screwed enough companies up in the country..Glad they didnt mess up Disney. Ive always felt.."If you arent making enough money where you work now...Get a better job", Its as simple as that. Americans have done it since "Manifest Destiny".

jmvd20

Good news....Unions have screwed enough companies up in the country..Glad they didnt mess up Disney. Ive always felt.."If you arent making enough money where you work now...Get a better job", Its as simple as that. Americans have done it since "Manifest Destiny".

Yea, because there are just so many good jobs out there right now... Places are hiring everywhere :rolleyes:

alecshawn

Yea, because there are just so many good jobs out there right now... Places are hiring everywhere :rolleyes:
Maybe NOT where YOU live but....If northern Ohioans are willing to move...Indiana (1400) NEW jobs..Honda, San antonio (5600) NEW jobs Toyota. In southern Ohio almost ALL the plants are hiring...The metal and chemical plants..They all pay VERY well. 60-70k. My point is...There ARE good jobs if one is willing to move if need be.

ToTBellHop

Maybe NOT where YOU live but....If northern Ohioans are willing to move...Indiana (1400) NEW jobs..Honda, San antonio (5600) NEW jobs Toyota. In southern Ohio almost ALL the plants are hiring...The metal and chemical plants..They all pay VERY well. 60-70k. My point is...There ARE good jobs if one is willing to move if need be.
things are a bit tighter for white-collared folks. The job market for college grads remains very tough. And those new jobs with Honda and Toyota just replace the jobs being lost with the American car manufacturers.

alecshawn

things are a bit tighter for white-collared folks. The job market for college grads remains very tough. And those new jobs with Honda and Toyota just replace the jobs being lost with the American car manufacturers.
True to a point...BUT..MANY of the "Ex" Gm,Ford or Chrysler employees...retired. I completely understand your point. I see TOO many people that are successful in life. They ONLY difference between them and the others is...WILL.

disneydata

My union does this one thing that upsets me. They do something stupid and schedule the voting for when everybody is supposed to be working or away.

When was the vote scheduled for?
the vote was scheduled for today I think an 8 or 10 hour period. CMs who voted were paid 2 hours report pay and if they were working the company provided transportation.

wbt06

i dont get this either. i have always felt that if you dont vote dont complain. someone made a point where collage grads cant find a job and that is some what true. i have a friend who just graduated and he has still not found a job. but he also did not have the will to find these jobs. he started looking after graduation. i know many people that have graduated and did find jobs. this was becouse they where looking way in advance. i dont know where i stand in this case becouse i dont work for disney. it could be worse i washed dogs for two years and was treated good for a year ( manager was a dog groomer so she knew i was needed). and crapy the second year( manager did not groom dogs so she did not see my importance). i say this becouse the people in carge dont understand and i see that. but you have to vote. the collage grad thang is not really true. like i said only one person i know is still unimployed when about 20 others found jobs becouse they where looking way in advance. this is not an excuse.

sorry for the rant i am in a crazy mood.
ps i dont meen to make anyone mad and sorry about spelling

Jheyman

Final vote:
3056 - Yes
2676 - No

Another disappointing turnout. :mad:

This everywhere not that that makes it better but I have the same thing in my unit, I just called for a vote on a contract and got less then 50% out. I even fed them LOL. Of course those who don;t show up we are sure will be the first to complain.

Unions don't screw companies up. Greedy upper management screws companies up. Look at the top and the salaries these people pull while they are asking to take away health benefits in the same breath. I negoiate for people who make 23000 a year but at the same time the people I am negoiating agianst make 100,000 a year and want the employee to pay as much as them for health care which would have if not for the union caused them to make nearly nothing when you take everything into account. Unions have a purpose can they be abused of course but they are not the ruin of america.

::gets down off his soapbox::

Jimmy Thick

Unions, I feel, are not needed anymore, and I had several family members in charge of Locals.

I do feel for people making anything below 8 bucks an hour. When I hired people, I would always give them 8 bucks if they had no experience or were to stupid and said " I don't care", when I would ask them what they wanted to be paid. I remember one gal had almost 12 years retail experience and said "I don't care", she got 8, she should have and would have got 14.

Anyway, good to see all the cast-members will be there when I visit!!!

WDWFigment

i dont get this either. i have always felt that if you dont vote dont complain. someone made a point where collage grads cant find a job and that is some what true. i have a friend who just graduated and he has still not found a job. but he also did not have the will to find these jobs. he started looking after graduation. i know many people that have graduated and did find jobs. this was becouse they where looking way in advance. i dont know where i stand in this case becouse i dont work for disney. it could be worse i washed dogs for two years and was treated good for a year ( manager was a dog groomer so she knew i was needed). and crapy the second year( manager did not groom dogs so she did not see my importance). i say this becouse the people in carge dont understand and i see that. but you have to vote. the collage grad thang is not really true. like i said only one person i know is still unimployed when about 20 others found jobs becouse they where looking way in advance. this is not an excuse.

sorry for the rant i am in a crazy mood.
ps i dont meen to make anyone mad and sorry about spelling

So the fact that 20 out of 21 of your friends who graduated have found jobs refutes his assertion that there is a tough job market for college grads? Well, maybe I should stop reading the news and academic journals and just ask you for what's going on around you. That seems a lot better indicator of how things are in the world. When will people stop using anecdotal evidence to support or refute an argument?!

The job market for college grads is not good, which in recent years has led to a lot of these graduates going back to school for higher degrees (not a bad thing in terms of knowledge, but it's led to plenty of overqualified candidates for jobs those who completed just undergrad would've been just fine in, just because things are so competitive).

Jheyman

So the fact that 20 out of 21 of your friends who graduated have found jobs refutes his assertion that there is a tough job market for college grads? Well, maybe I should stop reading the news and academic journals and just ask you for what's going on around you. That seems a lot better indicator of how things are in the world. When will people stop using anecdotal evidence to support or refute an argument?!

The job market for college grads is not good, which in recent years has led to a lot of these graduates going back to school for higher degrees (not a bad thing in terms of knowledge, but it's led to plenty of overqualified candidates for jobs those who completed just undergrad would've been just fine in, just because things are so competitive).

I agree it is incrediable difficult for college grads, another reason why I am glad i'm in a union I can't be axed just because they woudl be the minimum qualified even though I pull my wieght and then some. Yes I am in charge of a local that is mostly made up of professionals with bachelor degrees or better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom