News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't see any thing "silly" or not "realistic" about TeddinMO's post. Arranging for one's own transport with car seats is most likely going to be more expensive than paying "a 100% upcharge" for a couple Minnie Van rides. So, using the Minnie Van and paying a premium for a family of 5 or 6 who needs a carseat and highly values some time savings here or there is very realistic.

I think what is going on here is that the Minnie Vans have been far more popular than WDW expected. When demand is up, that means its times to raise prices and see how it goes. If no one uses the Minnie Vans anymore, then the prices will be reduced. But, I don't see that happening. Sure, I don't like the price increase, but I understand why it's being done and will still use the Minnie Vans a couple times during my next visit.

And if you don't like the Minnie Van pricing, then just use Uber and Lyft and let others use the Minnie Vans.

They have a small fleet...i was told that by the bell managers at AkL. Usually 12-20 (max) on the road.

I don’t know if that is the same as “greater demand”.

My point about car seats is that you’re not bombing around suburbia...if you have infants...or are car seat kooky (Florida is not - by the way)...rental might be the way to go.

I just did the math: a lyft xl from contemporary to dak right now is $20.62....Minnie is $39.69.

You’re paying $19 for a paint job and your own vanity...in the end. All cars have LATCH.

The numbers don’t lie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This makes me chuckle. What you are basically saying is...

"DISNEY HAS A RESPONSIBILITY TO GOUGE THE GUEST FOR ALL THEY ARE WORTH!"

I don't really agree with that line of thought.

I know...I intentionally tried to ignore that for sheer lunacy of it.

“NO MEANS YES!!!”
- the modern Disney customer

Jambo Joe

They have a small fleet...i was told that by the bell managers at AkL. Usually 12-20 (max) on the road.

I don’t know if that is the same as “greater demand”.

My point about car seats is that you’re not bombing around suburbia...if you have infants...or are car seat kooky (Florida is not - by the way)...rental might be the way to go.

I just did the math: a lyft xl from contemporary to dak right now is $20.62....Minnie is $39.69.

You’re paying $19 for a paint job and your own vanity...in the end. All cars have LATCH.

The numbers don’t lie.
A couple of comments on both sides of the Minnie Van thread. We use the Minnie Van service a couple of times each trip - primarily because the cast members that are driving are far more excited about Disney and discuss what’s happening around the parks etc. However I have noticed that Lyft and Uber seemed to have adjusted their prices upward since Minnie Van is setting a higher ceiling for the market. A Lyft that may have been $6-8 a year and a half ago is more like $12-14. Anecdotal from my own experience to be sure and still lower than Disney but higher than before. Also - although they won’t ban Lyft and Uber they do restrict where you can drop off and pick up at the parks - making it less convenient to use the competition.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A couple of comments on both sides of the Minnie Van thread. We use the Minnie Van service a couple of times each trip - primarily because the cast members that are driving are far more excited about Disney and discuss what’s happening around the parks etc. However I have noticed that Lyft and Uber seemed to have adjusted their prices upward since Minnie Van is setting a higher ceiling for the market. A Lyft that may have been $6-8 a year and a half ago is more like $12-14. Anecdotal from my own experience to be sure and still lower than Disney but higher than before. Also - although they won’t ban Lyft and Uber they do restrict where you can drop off and pick up at the parks - making it less convenient to use the competition.

A month ago my $10-13 Lyft trips were coming up about $22-26 in the vans.

It’s the standard Disney upcharge - unless you have a larger party....

You’re paying for the “D”

Walt d

I have been renting a vehicle and only use the monorail to return midday from EPCOT (avoid the hot card) and for hopping between resorts but given the pricing, I would consider this option to completely avoid driving but have all the benefits of my own vehicle (including enabling me to have a few drinks and not being the designated driver on park, dining dates).

The survey also asked which payment option suited the service best (my opinions marked)
I allways use the payment Method of paper I Owe you”s and it works great at wdw... for any type of transportation .

seascape

I wanted to use a mini van on our January trip. We had reservations at Rose and Crown and since we were at the GF, Disney Transportation to Epcot is not efficient since you have to switch monorails. The problem was a mini van would not get up there in time so we used Lyft. I strongly recommend Lyft at WDW because it uses the same app as the Mini Van. Anyway my Lyft driver was great and dropped us off at the Beach Club so I could use the IG entrance.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Just used Lyft a bunch on my last trip, its great on property still! Prices have gone up a few dollars but still better than the mini van. I needed to get to DAK from MK and the mini van cost $45! No way I was going to pay for that. Lyft cost about $15 with tip, so I was pleased.

Tony the Tigger

The numbers don’t lie.

And Victoria & Albert's is also extremely overpriced. However, on a special occasion trip, we enjoyed it and didn't regret it at all. We could have eaten at Jiko or Ci-Ci's pizza (offsite) and been just as full, and paid less.

On that same trip, we took a Minnie-van one time, in the same context: special occasion splurge, knowing it was overpriced, fun, and they were cheaper when they first started.

It's not something I would do on a regular basis (we usually have our own car) but it was a fun little extra that one time.

We also pay for a beer what we could pay for a 12 pack on sale.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And Victoria & Albert's is also extremely overpriced. However, on a special occasion trip, we enjoyed it and didn't regret it at all. We could have eaten at Jiko or Ci-Ci's pizza (offsite) and been just as full, and paid less.

On that same trip, we took a Minnie-van one time, in the same context: special occasion splurge, knowing it was overpriced, fun, and they were cheaper when they first started.

It's not something I would do on a regular basis (we usually have our own car) but it was a fun little extra that one time.

We also pay for a beer what we could pay for a 12 pack on sale.

If you’re point is “people love overspending at Disney”...yes, I’m fully aware. Life in the bubble.

Doesn’t really
Translate to the vanity of the Minnie van though...a good planned transport system - 2
Decades ago - would have made them unnecessary.

“People will pay it” is not an end all explanation. Capitalism need not be listed in Roget’s next to “silliness”

Tony the Tigger

If you’re point is “people love overspending at Disney”...yes, I’m fully aware. Life in the bubble.

Doesn’t really
Translate to the vanity of the Minnie van though...a good planned transport system - 2
Decades ago - would have made them unnecessary.

“People will pay it” is not an end all explanation. Capitalism need not be listed in Roget’s next to “silliness”

A transport system decades ago did not anticipate Lyft or Uber, which they are simply mimicking and rebranding.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A transport system decades ago did not anticipate Lyft or Uber, which they are simply mimicking and rebranding.

No...but it had mears.

It’s actually a weird phenomenon that people have a compete disdain for cabs...but now ard
Comfy with complete strangers in private cars...isn’t it?

I blame Danny devito

mikejs78

Premium Member
No...but it had mears.

It’s actually a weird phenomenon that people have a compete disdain for cabs...but now ard
Comfy with complete strangers in private cars...isn’t it?

I blame Danny devito
I've found Uber and Lyft to be both more reliable and drivers to be more careful in general than what I've seen in cabs.

Also a cab driver is just as much a complete stranger as an Uber/Lyft driver.

gmajew

Premium Member
Minnie Van is almost $23 more a ride for this service. Only thing you get is drop of at bus station and to ride in a cool looking car. We did Lyft all week last week but I could not justify the extra money per ride for the Minnie car. Did it a year ago not again.

tissandtully

Minnie Van is almost $23 more a ride for this service. Only thing you get is drop of at bus station and to ride in a cool looking car. We did Lyft all week last week but I could not justify the extra money per ride for the Minnie car. Did it a year ago not again.
Minnie Van is great because of the car seats and the training the CMs receive on it, I only use it when we have the kids with us, adult trips it’s Lyft or Uber.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Lyft and Uber are basically the same price if you need one car seat, and they're impossible to get with two car seats.

Also they're gross.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Access to MK's gate bypassing the lagoon barriers, buses, and the walk from the Contemporary may be worth the extra money, especially if you have people with mobility issues with you (children, elderly, infirm).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom