News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

StarWarsGirl

Has it really changed that much in terms of waiting times? I'm not saying your wrong ... I just don't know the facts. I recall waiting 20-30 minutes for many buses when I stayed at All-Star Sports back in 2003. That was the last time I stayed at a value because of it. I decided the "value" wasn't worth it.
I think the best bus service I ever had was staying at Pop several years ago. We waited 20 minutes for a DHS bus our first day. Never waited for a bus after that.

StarWarsGirl

Speaking only from my personal experience (not arguing) - I can honestly say that since we joined DVC in 2010 and, therefore, started to stay exclusively at BLT, we have been the last stop for the DME route for 10 out of 11 trips. We were (pleasantly) surprised one trip when we were dropped off first.
My personal experience says the same thing.

Poly is usually the first stop (we're there every August now).

I'mwatchinguWizowski

I read that the Minnie Vans can now be scheduled to pick up from the airport for $150 per way. My group will have 6 people (4 adults and 2 toddlers who need car seats) and we will likely have 5-6 suitcases). Does anyone have a sense of whether all that luggage will fit along with 6 people? Our plan is to take a car service from the airport to the resort and then take DME when we go back to the airport.

They don’t actually send the Traverse for the airport pick ups they send a larger van. I inquired on our trip a month ago.

Jambo Joe

WDW didn't create a problem. No one has to stay on-site. And no one staying on site has to use the bus system. People staying on-site are able to use all the forms of transportation that people staying offsite are able to use. WDW offers the bus system as additional option for people who choose to stay on-site.

I see the availability of the Minnie Vans as big plus and will likely use them a couple times when I am next in WDW. Guess that makes me a "rube" ...

Because of certain factors, my WDW visits are now almost always limited to 4 or 5 nights. I find that people who stay at WDW for 7-14 days don't seem to understand that all these "upcharges" which are time savers are incredibly valuable to those who are have much shorter vacations. In my 4 days/5 nights, I can pay for Minnie Vans, an evening party, an early morning magic and a dessert party and still spend less overall than those who stay twice as long and don't pay for any of the "upcharges".
Agreed. Also - they are also investing $250M on the Skyliner and improvements to the bus system. Seems to me they are investing in multiple solutions to help make it better. One of them is directly monetized.

Jambo Joe

I would normally agree but traveling with kids and knowing that you have a Disney employee driving made me feel safer. I’ve gotten some CRAZY Uber and Lyft drivers before...even when I paid for a black car. Plus I also knew that car seats were safe and hadn’t been in an accident.
Same thing for us. We used Lyft 8-10 times our last trip - about half were on Minnie Vans. It is a really enjoyable experience with an enthusiastic cast member as the driver. The regular Lyft drivers were mostly fine - but usually get at least one odd duck every few times.

MikeyK72

Does anyone know the per mile charge? Wondering what it will do to the average fare relative to the original $25 mark. (I think we all have a good guess at the answer to my second question but wondering how much more expensive it will get.)

Disstevefan1

This is just a logical expansion of the already successful minne-van service. Another way for the moue to make money. My HOPE there is no long term plan to change the free buses, but you never know. Could we be paying to ride the bus some day? Only time will tell..

I long for Walt's original dream of people movers to get around for pedestrians. But alas that was just a dream of Walt's..

TrojanUSC

Agreed. Also - they are also investing $250M on the Skyliner and improvements to the bus system. Seems to me they are investing in multiple solutions to help make it better. One of them is directly monetized.

They didn't really create the Minnievan problem, either. Uber and Lyft were serving thousands of their guests every day with on-demand, private transportation options. Disney saw an opportunity to offer a better quality of service while keeping some of that guest spend. No different than what they've always done. Guests were spending their evenings at Church Street Station and other downtown options so they built Pleasure Island. The outlet malls were a big draw so Disney Springs came into the picture. etc

durangojim

Original Poster
New pricing is reportedly (from that one site) a flat rate of $15 and $2.75 per mile. Can anyone confirm?
I saw this too. If those numbers are correct, we'll be using the Mini Vans much less and sticking with the busses and regular Lyft. Might still use it to the MK but not even sure about that. Looking at my Lyft app this morning it shows $24.95 still

deeevo

So my last Minnie van ride would have cost $31. WL to Pop is 6.6 miles. I think MK to AKL is about as far as you can go would you think? That is 6.8 miles so again around $31

Surfin' Tuna

Some people will pay it. At certain times of the day, I'm sure I would have (in theory) been willing to drop $40 to avoid the people. There's also something about using an app that seems to make the money feel less real to people, and they willingly do something they wouldn't hand 2 twenties to someone for. It does make the standard uber and lyft cars seem like a better option at this point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would normally agree but traveling with kids and knowing that you have a Disney employee driving made me feel safer. I’ve gotten some CRAZY Uber and Lyft drivers before...even when I paid for a black car. Plus I also knew that car seats were safe and hadn’t been in an accident.

Are you under the impression that Disney doesn’t hire everyone off the street? Because they do.

All central Floridians...not exhausting identification/streaming/grooming.

In fact...with the trouble Uber had about a year ago...I would imagine that they and lyft are a better bet now.

Honestly...how do you think disney hires? It’s not an exclusive club.

Also...who would have more fender benders in WDW?
Uber drivers...or WDW buses/service vehicles/heavy equipment.

I don’t know we can actually get those numbers...but I have little doubt to what they likely are..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Animal Kingdom to Contemporary is now a ridiculous $40! I’m flying from Yorkshire in Northern England to Dublin in Ireland, return, tomorrow for $70!
There’s some very prophetic posts at the very start of this thread. However, they were under estimating the Disney uplift.

Wow...we went wilderness lodge to downtown and it was $13 on a regular lyft 2 weeks ago...that’s close to the same distance....

All points in WDW for customers are about 4 miles or so in a radius from epcot.

Just...wow...so the Minnie are either being sunk or fools will pay them and distort the market in yet another pocket dive upsell?

We’re to defcon 2 on these.

TeddyinMO

Wow...we went wilderness lodge to downtown and it was $13 on a regular lyft 2 weeks ago...that’s close to the same distance....

All points in WDW for customers are about 4 miles or so in a radius from epcot.

Just...wow...so the Minnie are either being sunk or fools will pay them and distort the market in yet another pocket dive upsell?

We’re to defcon 2 on these.
Let me start out by saying to me, riding the buses is fine, and I can't see myself using minivans under any pricing structure unless there is no alternative free transportation.

That being said, these kinds of comparisons are not exactly legitimate for two reasons.

1. If you have little kids, getting a Lyft or Uber with car seats that can fit your whole family is nearly impossible. So, if you need room for 4 or 5 people and need car seats, minivans are a great alternative.
2. Both Lyft and Uber use demand-based pricing. There are numerous times Lyft and Uber are extremely cheap alternatives. However, if you use them at high-demand times, the cost is much higher. So, just saying I once got an Uber for $13 is only half the story. Going from Magic Kingdom to AKL/All Stars/Coronado at park close is going to be much closer in price due to the demand.

For a single, a couple or even three people with a kid over the age of 8, minivans are not a good deal and do not make sense. For a family of 5 with kids ages 3, 5 and 10 who want a quick ride home at busy park close times, they are going to be a very attractive alternative at this price. And frankly, that's the target market because Uber and Lyft are not realistic alternatives due to the car seat issue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let me start out by saying to me, riding the buses is fine, and I can't see myself using minivans under any pricing structure unless there is no alternative free transportation.

That being said, these kinds of comparisons are not exactly legitimate for two reasons.

1. If you have little kids, getting a Lyft or Uber with car seats that can fit your whole family is nearly impossible. So, if you need room for 4 or 5 people and need car seats, minivans are a great alternative.
2. Both Lyft and Uber use demand-based pricing. There are numerous times Lyft and Uber are extremely cheap alternatives. However, if you use them at high-demand times, the cost is much higher. So, just saying I once got an Uber for $13 is only half the story. Going from Magic Kingdom to AKL/All Stars/Coronado at park close is going to be much closer in price due to the demand.

For a single, a couple or even three people with a kid over the age of 8, minivans are not a good deal and do not make sense. For a family of 5 with kids ages 3, 5 and 10 who want a quick ride home at busy park close times, they are going to be a very attractive alternative at this price. And frankly, that's the target market because Uber and Lyft are not realistic alternatives due to the car seat issue.

If you’re worried about car seats...then you realistically need to have your own transport. Paying a 100% upcharge for shared car seats is silly. Can we be realistic here?

As far as demand/flex pricing...that is true...the rates vary. But here’s a hypothetical with a nearly guaranteed answer: somebody pull up the same routes on Uber and lyft with the Minnie van and compare the price...

That works 100% of the time. What do you think will play out?

But to the bigger issue...there have been ALOT of transportation shenanigans pulled on the customer this year - which is ironically when there have been lots of “soft booking” tales steadily flowing. This goes back to the parking fees and them trying to monetize the inefficiency of the bus system and a delapidated monorail loop. Pretty simple to follow the flow here.

Last edited:

DisneyDaver

If you’re worried about car seats...then you realistically need to have your own transport. Paying a 100% upcharge for shared car seats is silly. Can we be realistic here?

I don't see any thing "silly" or not "realistic" about TeddinMO's post. Arranging for one's own transport with car seats is most likely going to be more expensive than paying "a 100% upcharge" for a couple Minnie Van rides. So, using the Minnie Van and paying a premium for a family of 5 or 6 who needs a carseat and highly values some time savings here or there is very realistic.

I think what is going on here is that the Minnie Vans have been far more popular than WDW expected. When demand is up, that means its times to raise prices and see how it goes. If no one uses the Minnie Vans anymore, then the prices will be reduced. But, I don't see that happening. Sure, I don't like the price increase, but I understand why it's being done and will still use the Minnie Vans a couple times during my next visit.

And if you don't like the Minnie Van pricing, then just use Uber and Lyft and let others use the Minnie Vans.

TeddyinMO

As far as demand/flex pricing...that is true...the rates vary. But here’s a hypothetical with a nearly guaranteed answer: somebody pull up the same routes on Uber and lyft with the Minnie van and compare the price...

That works 100% of the time. What do you think will play out?

But to the bigger issue...there have been ALOT of transportation shenanigans pulled on the customer this year - which is ironically when there have been lots of “soft booking” tales steadily flowing. This goes back to the parking fees and them trying to monetize the inefficiency of the bus system and a delapidated monorail loop. Pretty simple to follow the flow here.

I certainly won't defend the parking fees. That was a huge miss to me. But, I don't think Disney offering minivan service for those who want/need it is a bad thing. If you don't want to pay, you don't have to. Free transportation still exists and Disney did not ban Uber/Lyft from property, so if you can get a cheaper alternative from them that works for your family, it's there.

There's reasons to criticize Disney. I don't think offering their own taxi service is one of them, and that's what this is. It's a taxi service for those that want to pay for it. Once Disney cuts free transportation options (or bans Lyft/Uber) and forces users to minivans, then we can talk about pricing. Until then, it's a luxury item, and they can charge what they want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom