News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

Bender123

Monorail is two 2 millon

monorail is currently at 2 million a mile i would like to see, them all over too.

No...no it is not. That rumor has been debunked hundreds of times. The cost for any expansion would be over, I believe, $250 million, at the low end. If they could spend 20 million and have monorails to all the parks, they would be all over that instantly.

larandtra

Supply/demand and who is willing to pay it. If on property and you dont want to wait on buses or are going resort to resort and feel Uber is cheaper and just as convenient, by all means do it. If they price themselves out, then thats what happens. Its just good business to push the envelope until you have diminishing returns and then slide the price back. And maybe some of you missed the bonuses they gave to ALL employees. Either you are just being argumentative or Some of you have a really bad inferiority complex of people who make a lot of money. Either jealousy or you just dont comprehend business and the fact that companies are beholden to stockholders in order to make money in a public company. And they will do what is necessary. As a stockholder, I have no issue with it.

Bender123

Supply/demand and who is willing to pay it. If on property and you dont want to wait on buses or are going resort to resort and feel Uber is cheaper and just as convenient, by all means do it. If they price themselves out, then thats what happens. Its just good business to push the envelope until you have diminishing returns and then slide the price back. And maybe some of you missed the bonuses they gave to ALL employees. Either you are just being argumentative or Some of you have a really bad inferiority complex of people who make a lot of money. Either jealousy or you just dont comprehend business and the fact that companies are beholden to stockholders in order to make money in a public company. And they will do what is necessary. As a stockholder, I have no issue with it.

Businesses are not beholden to stock holders, they are beholden to STAKE holders, which is a combination of their stock holders, customers and employees.

Part of being a successful company is having a well trained, healthy and happy workforce. If you want knowledgeable CMS, CMs that value safety and value the company as an ongoing enterprise, you show that by attempting to make them want to stay employees.

Right now, Disney (and the world at large) seems more concerned with making investors happy at all cost for the short term, instead of trying to keep a business that strives for a continuous improvement in all categories. What you are seeing, lately, at Disney is a decrease in quality standards, decrease in service and cheapness at employee levels. Disney will be there, but at some point, the money paying for trips to the parks will not see value compared to other options. Decreases in service levels combined with increases in prices will eventually lead to people electing other spending...its fairly simple economics.

larandtra

It is simple and when those numbers go in that direction, then we shall see. But, the recent trend of increased attendance and profits dont match up to your impressions. While true die hard Disney fans may see the flaws, the general public doesnt. So they will keep pushing things until there is a downturn. Thats simple economics.

Bender123

It is simple and when those numbers go in that direction, then we shall see. But, the recent trend of increased attendance and profits dont match up to your impressions. While true die hard Disney fans may see the flaws, the general public doesnt. So they will keep pushing things until there is a downturn. Thats simple economics.

That's true to a point...The problem is that there will be another economic downturn at some point and Disney is not going to be able to discount enough to make up for it and wont be able to cut staff without further lowering service quality. they are playing on the bubble and that isn't encouraging when looking ahead when the parks wont be able to carry the financial burden of the company any longer.

You seem to look at things in a very tight timeframe, which is fine for a quick investment and sale, but as a long term investment, this looks very ugly. In the past, ESPN was able to carry the parks through 2001 and 2008, but that simply is not the case anymore. The parks, Star Wars and Marvel are basically the entire company right now...without one of those pillars, Disney looks really stagnant and iffy.

larandtra

I completely agree with you. The bubble will burst soon and it will be interesting to see how things play out. IM not saying, as a Disney fan, that the things going on arent great. Lack of production on new attractions, upkeep of old ones, etc. Please dont misunderstand. This is more directed at those flipping out over a 5$ increase in rates. Noone makes you pay it and if you dont have disposable income to do so then smarter to find other options. Just as with every other "add on" Disney has given us. You have a choice. The overall longterm health of the company is a different matter.

21stamps

That's true to a point...The problem is that there will be another economic downturn at some point and Disney is not going to be able to discount enough to make up for it and wont be able to cut staff without further lowering service quality. they are playing on the bubble and that isn't encouraging when looking ahead when the parks wont be able to carry the financial burden of the company any longer.

You seem to look at things in a very tight timeframe, which is fine for a quick investment and sale, but as a long term investment, this looks very ugly. In the past, ESPN was able to carry the parks through 2001 and 2008, but that simply is not the case anymore. The parks, Star Wars and Marvel are basically the entire company right now...without one of those pillars, Disney looks really stagnant and iffy.

Are you expecting an economic downturn anytime soon?

larandtra

I am. I think between the housing market, interest rates, defecit spending, dollar devaluation, and tons of other indicators, it is going to happen sooner rather than later and unfortunately then we will see how the millenials fare in a crappy economy

21stamps

I am. I think between the housing market, interest rates, defecit spending, dollar devaluation, and tons of other indicators, it is going to happen sooner rather than later and unfortunately then we will see how the millenials fare in a crappy economy

I don’t share that view. I think barring a devolpment in the Russia investigation, or war with North Korea, that we’ll be fine for some time to come.

I hope I’m right and you’re wrong ;)

Bender123

Are you expecting an economic downturn anytime soon?

You do realize that economics are cyclical? There is no such thing as an endless bull market and there will eventually be a another recession. We probably can expect another one in the next 5-10 years...Its never a matter of if, its always a matter of when.

21stamps

You do realize that economics are cyclical? There is no such thing as an endless bull market and there will eventually be a another recession. We probably can expect another one in the next 5-10 years...Its never a matter of if, its always a matter of when.

I hope I realize that. Like I said, I don’t see any danger anytime soon. Eventually, sure, such is life. But we’re not on the verge of a burst, even though I see many people make comments like we are.

gdrj

I used the Minnie Van on our trip over the Summer, it was fine. We used it to get to Ft Wilderness, which we didnt realize got us all the way inside to walking distance to Trails End restaurant. The driver said they have the ability to drive in areas that others (Uber, Taxi, etc) cant. Not sure if that accurate or not but have no reason to doubt. With that said we used the service to just try it. We wont be spending $25 for that in the future (probably would for $20 either) except in extreme situations. We will use Uber/Lyft and Disney busses or car (when we have one).

TrojanUSC

I used the Minnie Van on our trip over the Summer, it was fine. We used it to get to Ft Wilderness, which we didnt realize got us all the way inside to walking distance to Trails End restaurant. The driver said they have the ability to drive in areas that others (Uber, Taxi, etc) cant. Not sure if that accurate or not but have no reason to doubt. With that said we used the service to just try it. We wont be spending $25 for that in the future (probably would for $20 either) except in extreme situations. We will use Uber/Lyft and Disney busses or car (when we have one).

That is correct. The service is helpful particularly helpful for Magic Kingdom, Fort Wilderness, and departing from any of the "campus-style" resorts (i.e. Coronado Springs). Uber and Lyft are fine for other purposes.

ThatMouse

That is correct. The service is helpful particularly helpful for Magic Kingdom, Fort Wilderness, and departing from any of the "campus-style" resorts (i.e. Coronado Springs). Uber and Lyft are fine for other purposes.

Thanks guys for confirming that. Curb pick up at pioneer hall and the MK bus stop is the only advantage I see here.

TrojanUSC

Thanks guys for confirming that. Curb pick up at pioneer hall and the MK bus stop is the only advantage I see here.

The other advantage, obviously, is you get a trained Disney driver. The Uber/Lyft drivers in Florida often do it part-time and aren't super familiar with the ins and outs of everything, which can lead to some problems. Having said that, the significant cost different still doesn't make Minnievan worth it in most instances.

COProgressFan

I know quite a few that prefer to pay the extra for the Minnie Van to guarantee getting a car seat, one friend even needs 2 car seats, so they can't use Uber/Lyft.

For those needing 2 car seats, Minnie van is really the only option. And at $20 it was actually a great value. Even at $25 it's not bad.

For anyone who needs 1 car seat, who was comparing with Uber+carseat, the price was usually about the same, or close to it. We used Uber+carseat on last year's trip right as Minnie Vans were rolling out, but not available at our resort. I would have chosen the Minnie Van if it was available. Everything turned out fine eventually with our Uber trips, but we did have a few issues with car seats not being properly installed, and in one instance a booster seat provided (to use with seatbealt - obviously not suitable for under age 4), rather than an actual car seat (with 5 point restraint).

WhatJaneSays

The other advantage, obviously, is you get a trained Disney driver. The Uber/Lyft drivers in Florida often do it part-time and aren't super familiar with the ins and outs of everything, which can lead to some problems. Having said that, the significant cost different still doesn't make Minnievan worth it in most instances.
Most of the Uber or Lyft drivers I've gotten on property are current or former CMs. That doesn't necessarily mean they know all the ins and outs but they're more likely to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom