News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

durangojim

Original Poster
IMG_4098.PNG IMG_4099.PNG I just finished filling out a survey asking what I thought of Disney transportation. It asked if I used something like Uber while staying at the Grand (we did) and then asked a number of questions about if we would use a similar Disney branded service that went all over property and possibly to the airport. My thoughts are that I'd use it depending on price. We primarily used Uber to get to Epcot, the beach club, and Typhoon Lagoon. Used Disney transport for everything else, but if it was cheap enough and could pick you up in 5 mins or less anywhere like Uber does, I'd consider it. I'll see if I can post screen shots.

Attachments

• IMG_4100.PNG
    IMG_4100.PNG
    206.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_4101.PNG
    IMG_4101.PNG
    195.7 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_4102.PNG
    IMG_4102.PNG
    203.2 KB · Views: 288

FerretAfros

...or, you know, they could just improve the existing transportation network that the guest already pays for with the exorbitant hotel prices. Crazy thought, I know.

Other than very specific and uncommon routes (parks to Disney Springs, hotel to hotel), I'm not sure that this is really much of an improvement. Especially during peak periods, the loading zones and the roads themselves don't have nearly the capacity to put 30,000 rooms-worth of guests into individual cars. Disney sends out surveys for a lot of half-baked ideas, but this one seems especially unrealistic

bunnyman

If it's cheaper than taxis, then I'm all for it. Members of family did the early morning surfing lessons last summer, and based on the time had to take a taxi from the WL to Typhon Lagoon. It was a rip off to say the least, but they had no other options at that time of the morning.

The Empress Lilly

Insanity.

The WDW transport system is so woefully inadequate, and unimaginative and dull too, that management has discovered guests will pay through the nose to please evade it.

And rather than solving the issue (WDW's suburbanisation and sprawl because Eisner brushed aside the Idea of WDW as an experimental urban project as sentimentalism of old fruitcakes), they are salivating at the mouth at the thought of cashing in too.

WDW was build so well that you can get away nearly endlessly with schemes like this too. But with clever management it has got nothing to do. Just with mediocre types - no doubt patting themselves on the back too - squeezing out a few more pennies out of the legacy of real management.

durangojim

Original Poster
I can say that during our 7 night trip at the Grand Floridian we used Uber a total of six times, going to and from the Floridian to places when the wait for the bus was too long, or going to Epcot since we didn't want to have to switch monorails. Each time it took less than 5 mins to get a car which meant if I ordered it when we left our room, it would be waiting for us when we got to the lobby. The trips cost right around $7 a piece. If Disney could provide a similar service or a flat rate that was affordable based on how many days you'd be staying at one of their resorts I would be all for it, but I have a hard time believing they could do that at a reasonable price.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I can say that during our 7 night trip at the Grand Floridian we used Uber a total of six times, going to and from the Floridian to places when the wait for the bus was too long, or going to Epcot since we didn't want to have to switch monorails. Each time it took less than 5 mins to get a car which meant if I ordered it when we left our room, it would be waiting for us when we got to the lobby. The trips cost right around $7 a piece. If Disney could provide a similar service or a flat rate that was affordable based on how many days you'd be staying at one of their resorts I would be all for it, but I have a hard time believing they could do that at a reasonable price.

you make reasonable points....

durangojim

Original Poster
you make reasonable points....
The other thing that was pretty nice was taking it to the Beach Club so we could enter Epcot through the International Gateway. That was very good when we had dining reservations over in France. We enjoy walking but at the end of a long day when it's 99 degrees with a heat index of 110, cutting off a few steps seemed like a good idea.

TriSeb

I have been renting a vehicle and only use the monorail to return midday from EPCOT (avoid the hot card) and for hopping between resorts but given the pricing, I would consider this option to completely avoid driving but have all the benefits of my own vehicle (including enabling me to have a few drinks and not being the designated driver on park, dining dates).

The survey also asked which payment option suited the service best (my opinions marked)

Attachments

• 8-18-2016 7-17-50 PM.jpg
    8-18-2016 7-17-50 PM.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 159

wdwfan22

I can see this becoming a reality because Uber was being used like crazy at the Polynesian during my recent August visit.

righttrack

They are looking to get a share of the Uber transportation dollars obviously. Yes, I totally agree with those that said they are looking for a contract and branding with Uber or Lyft. It's revenue and anything that happens on property, they want a piece of. I think the volume would increase a bit, say if you could call for your ride from the WDW App for example. I just don't think it would go up that much. It has its place. We used Uber to get from WL to AKL and saved almost 3 hours it would have taken to go the usual route of resort->park->resort->park->resort.

Donfan

If Disney would trade in all their buses and make this the only mode of transportation in the World, this could have a lot of benefits. It almost fits the requirement for the horizontal elevator service they looked at several years ago.

DisneyDaver

Depending on demand, wouldn't this add to more traffic congestion?

Depends on how WDW prices the service. If the price is so cheap that many elect to use it, then yes, it would add more congestion. If the service is priced high enough to manage demand, then it likely won't add more traffic congestion as it will only capture customers who would otherwise drive a rental car or grab a taxi/uber.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom