News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

RobidaFlats

But this is Disney. Guest concerns doesn't drive their decisions, money does. They've proven this over and over for the past 20+ years. Parks too crowded? Let's charge more to get in. Downtown Disney not doing so hot? Build high-end stores that attract the upper middle class.

If Disney sees their guests spending money on something other than their brand while they are staying on their property, they are gonna tap into that market. This is the reason why Disney mini golf, bowling, Characters in Flight, DisneyQuest, Pleasure Island (retired), and other optional onsite entertainment came into existence. Their goal is to keep your money on a steady stream from your pocket to their bank account.

All true. However, none of it changes the fact that the loss of income to Uber drivers should not be a deciding factor in anything. As you stated in your first post, the ideal outcome would be improved transportation. This would also lead to loss of income.

Thus your argument that the main reason that they should not attempt an Uber-like service is due to loss of income for Uber drivers doesn't make sense. Your most recent post doesn't address that at all and my statement of what should be the deciding factor (regardless of what Disney actually does) stands.

psherman42

It seems like I'm in the minority but I think this is potentially a good idea. While of course this is a cash grab attempt by Disney, why is that surprising? They're a business. How many other businesses out there see somebody doing something successfully and then try to replicate it to try to make money of their own? This isn't anything new, but of course, Disney is just a monster for trying to make more money. The reaction from people about this potentially happening reminds me of when people overreacted to them offering premium parking. They're not forcing you to pay more (I don't believe for a second this would replace the busses..that'd be a nightmare for several reasons), it's just an alternative option. If somebody is willing to pay for it, why not? If this is reasonably priced, I think this a great option for people dining at a resort other than the one they're staying at to significantly cut down on travel time. It could also potentially lower the number of people on the busses around peak times (Particularly those on the MK bus around park open going to Chef Mickeys, Ohana, etc.) who are really only going to that park because they have to get to a resort for their dining reservation. I also don't think this would add to congestion on property. You already have people using Uber so if Disney begins offering their own version, it would likely be a similar number of cars, just some would be Uber and others would be Disney. Assuming the DME stays as well, this service could also make renting a car even less appealing if the price is reasonable. At least for people who don't intend to leave property. While the number of cars on the road would be around the same, I for one would be completely fine with lowering the number of drivers who are clueless about where they're going.

raven

Thus your argument that the main reason that they should not attempt an Uber-like service is due to loss of income for Uber drivers doesn't make sense.
Well I actually said that was my concern, not reason:
I can think of several reasons they should NOT attempt this but the most reasons I am concerned about is the money that will be taken away from local Uber drivers...
Your most recent post doesn't address that at all and my statement of what should be the deciding factor (regardless of what Disney actually does) stands.
My most recent post was indeed explaining how Disney doesn't really care much about "what's best" for guests. They are money driven. Everyone knows this. There's no argument there.

PrincessNelly_NJ

It seems like I'm in the minority but I think this is potentially a good idea. While of course this is a cash grab attempt by Disney, why is that surprising? They're a business. How many other businesses out there see somebody doing something successfully and then try to replicate it to try to make money of their own? This isn't anything new, but of course, Disney is just a monster for trying to make more money. The reaction from people about this potentially happening reminds me of when people overreacted to them offering premium parking. They're not forcing you to pay more (I don't believe for a second this would replace the busses..that'd be a nightmare for several reasons), it's just an alternative option. If somebody is willing to pay for it, why not? If this is reasonably priced, I think this a great option for people dining at a resort other than the one they're staying at to significantly cut down on travel time. It could also potentially lower the number of people on the busses around peak times (Particularly those on the MK bus around park open going to Chef Mickeys, Ohana, etc.) who are really only going to that park because they have to get to a resort for their dining reservation. I also don't think this would add to congestion on property. You already have people using Uber so if Disney begins offering their own version, it would likely be a similar number of cars, just some would be Uber and others would be Disney. Assuming the DME stays as well, this service could also make renting a car even less appealing if the price is reasonable. At least for people who don't intend to leave property. While the number of cars on the road would be around the same, I for one would be completely fine with lowering the number of drivers who are clueless about where they're going.

Disney would most likely ban Uber from the property. That is the concern.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I think its a smart business move for them. I just don't see them being price competitively with Uber & Lyft, especially when you factor in promos & coupons.

psherman42

Disney would most likely ban Uber from the property. That is the concern.
You don't know that. And I don't even see how they could. People staying at a Disney resort are still going to want to go to Universal or Sea World or the outlet malls. The Disney transportation won't take them there. They haven't banned taxis, how could they ban Uber?

PrincessNelly_NJ

You don't know that. And I don't even see how they could. People staying at a Disney resort are still going to want to go to Universal or Sea World or the outlet malls. The Disney transportation won't take them there. They haven't banned taxis, how could they ban Uber?
They have an arrangement with Mears to operate those taxis on property. If Disney can't partner with Uber/Lyft for this and created an entirely transportation service for this, why wouldn't they ban their competition?
A number of places have banned Uber & Lyft already.

Edit: Also, I wasn't saying I knew for sure they would. I was just saying if you read the previous comments.. the concern is that this would take the place of Uber & Lyft thus eliminating the extra income for locals/drivers.

Last edited:

psherman42

They have an arrangement with Mears to operate those taxis on property. If Disney can't partner with Uber/Lyft for this and created an entirely transportation service for this, why wouldn't they ban their competition?
A number of places have banned Uber & Lyft already.
There's always going to be a cheaper option out there and one more appealing to people who don't want to take the buses. If they ban uber and lyft, more people may look into renting cars to get places they want to go. Unless they're willing to charge a price similar to Uber and Lyft, I don't see how it would be a good idea to ban them.

And also, saying they'll "most likely" ban uber implies you have information not available at this time; more than just that you're speculating it as a possibility. I just think banning uber would be difficult when you factor in people who come from off property as well.

PrincessNelly_NJ

There's always going to be a cheaper option out there and one more appealing to people who don't want to take the buses. If they ban uber and lyft, more people may look into renting cars to get places they want to go. Unless they're willing to charge a price similar to Uber and Lyft, I don't see how it would be a good idea to ban them.

I think Disney is fine with people renting more than ever before. I vaguely remember talk on these boards of Disney wanting to charge for the magical express in the future, but I don't remember if it was about profit vs saving money. They actively advertise the Car Care Center & have partnerships with Alamo & National. Renting a car from the car care center is significantly more expensive than renting from the airport though.:greedy:
For many people paid shuttle service would still more cost effective than renting, plus who wants to drive on vacation, right? ;)
If they ban Uber/Lyft and add their own service with similar pricing, those who want to get around without using buses 2 or 3 times during their 8 day vacation will pay up.

We had a SUV rented for our upcoming trip ($456 for ten days) because we couldn't take taxis since we had a toddler who needed a car seat. Mears couldn't promise one would be available either. However, with Uber family now available in Orlando, we no longer need it. Its much more cost effective to use Uber now. We have a ton of free rides available between all of us & whats $5-$15 here or there.

But, either way I hope it works out. I'm all for guest convenience as long as it doesn't hurt the little guys :)

PrincessNelly_NJ

Personalized shuttle service? Nope. It won't be cheap.

Depends on how its done. If its just a partnership, it could be profitable.
Mears/Uber/Lyft have been making tons of money on Disney property. From a business perspective, they should try to cash in if they can.

raven

Depends on how its done. If its just a partnership, it could be profitable.
Mears/Uber/Lyft have been making tons of money on Disney property. From a business perspective, they should try to cash in if they can.
All comes down to insurance and reliability as well. We all know how fast news travels when it comes to accidents with Disney transportation. If they put their name on it, a simple fender bender may be heard around the world within minutes. :banghead:

toolsnspools

Disney needs to invest in the driver-less technology for the bus fleet. They probably already are. Driver-less buses working in sync with Magic Bands could significantly improve the transportation system. By simply monitoring the hotel that each guest is staying at, as they leave the main gate, they could provision the buses based on the demand that is walking out of the parks. Throw in a second monitor for guests at the bus terminals, and you could really streamline the system.

wdwfan22

I really hope Disney offers this type of service and soon. Being able to have private transport at your fingertips (through Disney) would be a godsend for many. I know my family would use it.

mousehockey37

I don't see this going well. Where would all these "personal shuttles" be located? Would they make a special parking lot for them? And if this ever got off the ground, think of how many cars you would have sitting outside the exits (or in a special lot) (also, like the taxis... most notably at Epcot) waiting for "their" client. It would be mass chaos for guests to find "their" driver. It would probably be crazy enough, that even though the current Disney mass transit isn't the greatest, it would still be more efficient.

I just don't see park closings going well. All your local day visitors leaving at the same time as all the Disney transit as well as your out-of-town rental car/own car folks that drive themselves around... I just potentially see MORE traffic than anything else. Then when you get back to the resorts, the buses may not have a drop off area because the Ubers would be all lined up in it. The guests that would be on the free Disney transit, would not be happy if they had to wait for people who just couldn't take the bus.

This also leads me to the question of... If you plan your vacation correctly, should you really need a Disney Uber service? Disney transit, for how big it is, is pretty good, and if planned accordingly, you shouldn't need an Uber-type service.

This is just a bunch of people, who in accordance with today's society, can't be around other people or do things the way it's been done for years.

Oh well, when you're all stuck in traffic and I fly by on the empty monorail, we'll see what's faster then!

FigmentFreak

How about a touchpad with destinations and when you get to the bus stop you touch the destination you want to go to so they know a bus for that destination is needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom