Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Tom

Beta Return
FYI, @WDW1974 back in November 2013: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-spirit-takes-the-fifth.876705/page-12#post-5802761

I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than just Anna and Elsa meeting guests here. Also, do any of our insiders know if the $75 million that was originally thrown out there is still accurate for the entire project? If so, the prospects for the ride just decreased significantly.

If I were building this new facility in the real world, which is what I do, here's how I'd throw together a 5-minute estimate:

1) Site work is intensive. Lots of clearing. Lots of removal of existing buried utilities and storm. Huge buried detention system (very expensive) in lieu of detention pond. Site grading. Building Pad @ 12,500sf. New storm and other utilities. $750,000 - $1,000,000 site package, easily.

2) The building, built to Disney and Florida standards, will likely be structural steel wrapped in concrete or masonry with a flat rubber roof. 12,500sf @ $150/sf = $1,875,000 for the building shell, with major mechanical systems in place and electrical service to the building.

3) If built out similar to PFTH, it's a lot of standard office-type construction, with magic stuff added to it. Build-out of an interior retail/office space is $75/sf, so $937,500 to build out the interior, plus probably $500,000 worth of magic (scenery, show lighting, controls, security).

4) Whatever exterior scenery they put back. If just trees and landscaping, maybe $50,000. If rock work, $200,000.

5) Hardscape is probably another $75,000.

6) Parking is another $75,000

This comes to about $4.66M for the building and related site work, using all the worst case numbers. I'm sure we can add a 20% Disney cost inflation to that.

well the building is marked as modular... means the interiors can be struck and replaced really easily, essentially a warehouse or soundstage. so it can be changed and rearranged as the needs of the park changes.

The new building is not indicated as being modular. The reference was to the existing modular storage building that has to be torn down and moved to the east end of this lot. It will be out by the service road.

kap91

I'm going to risk sounding like an uninformed idiot (as I've completely ignored this thread for a long while)...but has there actually been any confirmation that the ride is still going to be a boat ride?

Aside from the whole does it belong debacle, there's just a lot of things that aren't adding up. Disney is many things, but not stupid - they have to realize just how popular it's going to be what with now a year later are still 3 hour waits just for a meet and greet and maelstrom just didn't have all that high of a capacity.

Bolt

I'm going to risk sounding like an uninformed idiot (as I've completely ignored this thread for a long while)...but has there actually been any confirmation that the ride is still going to be a boat ride?

Aside from the whole does it belong debacle, there's just a lot of things that aren't adding up. Disney is many things, but not stupid - they have to realize just how popular it's going to be what with now a year later are still 3 hour waits just for a meet and greet and maelstrom just didn't have all that high of a capacity.
The ride itself isn't changing. It's getting an overlay on the original ride. Similar to Test Track 2.0.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm excited for this frozen land! C: I personally think world showcase would be great if each land had an attraction or entertainment themed to the country it was inspired off of!! :D

Let the hate role in, but yah can't change my opinion! It's smart for Disney, financially. It'll bring in more families.

Kman101

An overlay shouldn't involve gutting the entire building. Not defending the project but I think we need a clear definition of "overlay". Overlay to me means everything remains but animatronics are switched out and we get new music but everything else remains the same. Not saying we get a different ride system but they've gutted the building. That to me isn't an overlay but a new ride, whether it uses the same track/system.

SnarkyMonkey

Frozen does NOT take place in Norway, it takes place in the fictional land of Arendelle.

So, to be clear, your position is the fictional land of Arendelle with its ice and Vikings and Norweigan mythology has nothing to do with Arendal, Norway with its ice and Vikings and Norweigan mythology? They are two completely different things in your mind and you can't see how Disney made the connection?

It's one thing to say that you don't want this theme to be a part of the World Showcase. Or to mourn the loss of Maelstrom. I can see opposing the change in lots of ways. But to say that Frozen has nothing to do with Norway is a bit of a stretch.

GetAPaperBag

Just because YOU don't like Frozen doesn't mean it doesn't belong somewhere or they shouldn't replace rides that YOU like. Believe it or not, Disney isn't forcing Frozen down people's throats how you assume, they're simply giving the people what they want. To quote Oaken, "the supply and demand have a big problem".

Mike S

An overlay shouldn't involve gutting the entire building. Not defending the project but I think we need a clear definition of "overlay". Overlay to me means everything remains but animatronics are switched out and we get new music but everything else remains the same. Not saying we get a different ride system but they've gutted the building. That to me isn't an overlay but a new ride, whether it uses the same track/system.
We wouldn't have the "overlay" confusion problem if everyone would just finally start using "refurd" like I do ;)
I'm excited for this frozen land! C: I personally think world showcase would be great if each land had an attraction or entertainment themed to the country it was inspired off of!! :D

Let the hate role in, but yah can't change my opinion! It's smart for Disney, financially. It'll bring in more families.
You know, these could bring more families in too. And not just the ones with little princesses.
image.jpg
image.jpg

But who am I kidding. Those are way too expensive and fit World Showcase too well. Gotta do it cheap because as we all know Disney needs to use those billions of dollars on stock buybacks. ALL HAIL THE INFINITE WISDOM OF BOB IGER!!!!!!!

aladdin2007

This is true, its beyond an "overlay" now since the building has been stripped and gutted. Three Caballeros was an overlay, this is far more involved and a start from ground up inside, track or not.

aladdin2007

We wouldn't have the "overlay" confusion problem if everyone would just finally start using "refurd" like I do ;)

You know, these could bring more families in too. And not just the ones with little princesses.
View attachment 79420 View attachment 79421
But who am I kidding. Those are way too expensive and fit World Showcase too well. Gotta do it cheap because as we all know Disney needs to use those billions of dollars on stock buybacks. ALL HAIL THE INFINITE WISDOM OF BOB IGER!!!!!!!

sad but true

Kman101

This is true, its beyond an "overlay" now since the building has been stripped and gutted. Three Caballeros was an overlay, this is far more involved and a start from ground up inside, track or not.

Thanks. And I want to say I appreciate all of your inside information regarding this ride most of us aren't that thrilled over, lol.

And to the Frozen fans, it's not that most are against the ride itself, we're saying it deserves better than shoving it into Epcot. Just because you love it doesn't mean it belongs there.

Kman101

View attachment 79420 View attachment 79421

Sigh.

If we only got anything like that. Wouldn't want things that make sense.

DisneyRoy

Which was strongly influenced by Norway. There's even a coastal town named Arendal.

So, to be clear, your position is the fictional land of Arendelle with its ice and Vikings and Norweigan mythology has nothing to do with Arendal, Norway with its ice and Vikings and Norweigan mythology? They are two completely different things in your mind and you can't see how Disney made the connection?

It's one thing to say that you don't want this theme to be a part of the World Showcase. Or to mourn the loss of Maelstrom. I can see opposing the change in lots of ways. But to say that Frozen has nothing to do with Norway is a bit of a stretch.

THESE! It's Disney people. Be glad they are spending money and building something new. I for one can't wait to see what the Imagineers come up with.

kap91

THESE! It's Disney people. Be glad they are spending money and building something new. I for one can't wait to see what the Imagineers come up with.
To be clear, I mostly agree with the position that Frozen in Norway makes logical sense BUT....

saying that Frozen/arendelle - a fictional and animated story/environment belongs in World showcase and/or Epcot - particularly as an actual whole pavilion - is really hard to justify. Epcot is supposed to be entirely about the real world, World Showcase is about showcasing the actual world and embracing its cultures. Its the documentary of theme parks - and while modern documentaries have been made more accessible by the addition of fun characters, animations, skits etc. at no point do those things take over...if you end up with what is essentially a frozen pavilion in a park that is supposed to be based on reality...then that's a big problem.

kap91

Disney was never about giving "what the people want".

"Give them what they don't know they want."
While true, not a really good point as that philosophy applies to the quality of the experience not what experiences are built. In terms of what new attractions are built, Disney has almost always been about giving people exactly what they want. I can throw around the "Disney said' or "Disney did" logic too.

Disney also was adamant that the parks weren't museums.
Disney was always about capitalizing and promoting the latest and greatest IP. (See Sleeping Beauty castle being built 3 years before the movie came out)

Just a couple examples.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom