Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

devoy1701

The flaw in your thinking is.. that the WS concept stemmed from the sponsors.. and therefore without them Disney should turn to their own ideas. The original WS concepts and designs were DISNEY'S ideas - not the sponsors. Disney turned to other people to try to pay the bills - but the concept and what to showcase were Disney's ideas. So the idea that Disney should abandon those ideas.. is basically says Disney should abandon its own ideas.

And your cites of stats.. you may want to double check.

Regardless of what the concept and design was (I have the coffee table books too)...the execution was different. Sponsors from the country governments themselves or companies based in those countries seemed to be part of the original execution of the World Showcase from the beginning.

jensenrick

Tell me who it's good for.

Everybody who will enjoy this new attraction at Epcot. Which will be a LOT of people.

Of course, according to some people, all those people who are enjoying themselves are too stupid to realize Epcot should stay a museum of rigid ideals.

P.S. - how long has it been since there was a new attraction at Epcot? Almost twenty years?

devoy1701

About a quarter of Disneyland's original attractions had to do with existing properties, and most of those were financial duds. EPCOT Center deliberately avoided existing properties.

Regardless of their success at the box offices, the attractions based on the them still offered a way to co-market and increase visibility and long-term success of those proprieties.

lazyboy97o

Regardless of what the concept and design was (I have the coffee table books too)...the execution was different. Sponsors from the country governments themselves or companies based in those countries seemed to be part of the original execution of the World Showcase from the beginning.
How did World Showcase change in a notable way due to the sponsors?

Regardless of their success at the box offices, the attractions based on the them still offered a way to co-market and increase visibility and long-term success of those proprieties.
And yet just a few years later it was a strategy that was almost totally dropped.

Everybody who will enjoy this new attraction at Epcot. Which will be a LOT of people.

Of course, according to some people, all those people who are enjoying themselves are too stupid to realize Epcot should stay a museum of rigid ideals.

P.S. - how long has it been since there was a new attraction at Epcot? Almost twenty years?
I mean almost 10 years give or take if you count the Seas as being an entirely new attraction and not an overlay.

I would say Soarin' is probably considered to be the newest attraction at Epcot, not counting the revolving exhibits of Innoventions.

-B.

jensenrick

I mean almost 10 years give or take if you count the Seas as being an entirely new attraction and not an overlay.

I would say Soarin' is probably considered to be the newest attraction at Epcot, not counting the revolving exhibits of Innoventions.

-B.
oh yeah, that's not stale at all. </sarcasm>

devoy1701

It's not really worth the argument about why they're doing what they're doing. But they're doing it, and we're powerless to do anything about it. So enjoy a new attraction for it's face value while reminiscing about what Epcot once was, or be miserable while doing it. Your choice. There are bigger things to worry about in life.

lebeau

It's not really worth the argument about why they're doing what they're doing. But they're doing it, and we're powerless to do anything about it. So enjoy a new attraction for it's face value while reminiscing about what Epcot once was, or be miserable while doing it. Your choice. There are bigger things to worry about in life.

Obviously.

But we are at a Disney World forum. So if we don't have this discussion, what are we supposed to be doing here?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So enjoy a new attraction for it's face value while reminiscing about what Epcot once was, or be miserable while doing it. Your choice. There are bigger things to worry about in life.

and at some point in the future... today's fans will realize a theme park is not just 10-15 attractions colocated in a single place. We won't have what we had before.. if we just say "just weigh the attraction on its own merits"

Tony Perkis

Well, I'm an Anthropology Major, so I should know what the people like.

Just kidding. No, I totally agree with your approach. I forgot what duds those two attractions were.

-B.

P.S. Don't make the new girl look stupid

I was a Marketing major and currently work in marketing. You know I have found out through school and my career?

No amount of excellent advertising and marketing can polish a turd.

misterID

Is this a new attraction, or a repurposed one? There is a difference. Because we can call TT 2.0 the TRON experience (I love the new version btw) as the last new attraction, which was just a couple years ago.

I'm sure people will love this attraction. And refering to EPCOT as a museum of rigid ideals ... I don't think I've ever visited this EPCOT. I've visited the EPCOT that was full of culture and originality, that tapped into something far more significant than the average Magic Kingdom yuck yuck 3 minute ride experience. It's the difference between having SSE and SSE featuring Stitch. I'm sure there would be people who would LOVE that and I think stupid is too nice of a word for them, but that's just my personal opinion.

dadddio

Yes, they didn't like the idea of it and they all LOVED frozen. They didn't go on about epcots purpose but they are smart enough to know that Frozen takes place in a fictitious place. When I told my daughter I actually thought she would like the idea as she was never really a big fan of Maelstrom anyway. But she said a funny thing, "wouldn't it make more sense in the studios?" I really don't think you are giving kids enough credit. They are more observant than you might think.
Actually, I noted that in the post that you quoted. What they observe is their parents reactions to things.

misterID

I guess this is a glimpse of Tom Fitzgerald's new "creative direction", with the purpose of "restoring the original intent of the park in both Future World and World Showcase". As I recall, World Showcase in '82 was brimming with characters from Disney movies. Oh wait...

I'm not a fan of Fitzy by any means :devilish: :mad: , but this wasn't his decision. I think Storm Rider would be perfect for EPCOT and I'm sure Fitzy would love that.

lazyboy97o

and at some point in the future... today's fans will realize a theme park is not just 10-15 attractions colocated in a single place. We won't have what we had before.. if we just say "just weigh the attraction on its own merits"
I would say that is the defining characteristic of a theme park. And since so many like the financial decision making angle, theme parks have proven to be far better at generating revenue and profits than amusement parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom